PDA

View Full Version : SPOT - SOS response time

Wyoming
07-25-2015, 18:42
I was just reading a journal for a CDT hiker who blew out his knee and used the SOS feature on his SPOT.

He set it off at 5pm and was picked up by a helicopter at 10am the next morning.

To me that seems like excellent service. But I am curious if others are familiar with other incidents and the response times.

I know of one rescue here in AZ this summer where from the time of call to the hiker being found was only about 1 hour. But even the rescue folks said it was just blind luck in that the observer in the copter just happened to see the unconscious hiker laying on the ground.

My general thoughts on the SOS feature is that if you are going to die in an hour or two, from whatever is wrong with you, it will not save you. If you can last a day you will likely make it.

MuddyWaters
07-25-2015, 18:46
Yep, plan for up to 24 hrs. Hope for 12 or less. If its late afternoon, you wont be helped most likely till next morning.

There are cases where response in national parks has been only a couple hours because park SAR is pretty good.

If you can limp out to town, thats what you should do anyway if not life threatening injury.

Scrum
07-25-2015, 22:50
I was just reading a journal for a CDT hiker who blew out his knee and used the SOS feature on his SPOT.

He set it off at 5pm and was picked up by a helicopter at 10am the next morning.

That is impressive.

While you may not last 24 hours, if you set off a SPOt or similar device, at least SAR will have an easier time finding your body.

Wyoming
07-25-2015, 23:55
That is impressive.

While you may not last 24 hours, if you set off a SPOt or similar device, at least SAR will have an easier time finding your body.

Yeah. I told the wife if I know I am going to die I am going to turn the SPOT off and lay against a tree like the native Americans did. I kind of like the idea of going that way.... She is still thinking that one over.