PDA

View Full Version : Down Time During Resupply

Turk6177
07-25-2015, 19:35
In Sept, I am going NOBO from GA/NC line to Fontana Dam. Does anyone have a rough idea of the "down time" I might experience during a resupply in Franklin, NC? Is there a lot of traffic to try to get a hitch into and out of town? Is there a place for a quick 3 day resupply within walking distance of the trail? I am trying to resupply as quickly as possible since I am on some time restraints on this section hike. Thank you in advance for your guidance and expertise.--Turk

bigcranky
07-25-2015, 20:09
Franklin is 10 miles from the trail on a major road, US 64. It's known as a pretty easy hitch, and there are some large supermarkets on that same road as you come into town - plus some fast food and a bbq place for a quick meal. :) Hitching back should be no problem, too.

MuddyWaters
07-25-2015, 20:18
No need to resupply anywhere but NOC, which is on the trail, for that part. Id skip Franklin. Way too much hassle.

If you hike 8 mpd, that would change things. But any reasonable pace makes Franklin not needed.

Its 59 miles from Bly Gap to NOC. 5 days at 12mpd. You dont need Breakfast first day, or dinner last, so 4.5 days food is all you need. If you do 15mpd, its 3.5 days food.

Turk6177
07-25-2015, 20:22
I am hiking with a buddy who is a little slower, partially due to pack weight, so I wanted to resupply in Franklin and the NOC so we are only carrying 3 days of food for each of the early segments to save weight.

MuddyWaters
07-25-2015, 20:24
I am hiking with a buddy who is a little slower, partially due to pack weight, so I wanted to resupply in Franklin and the NOC so we are only carrying 3 days of food for each of the early segments to save weight.

Taking 1/2 day or more to go into Franklin and resupply will be overall be slower than carrying 3 lbs extra food per person.

Carrying less, will be more comfortable however.:)

I would plan it to get to Franklin in the late afternoon, and then spend the night there, and leave out the next morning to maximize the benefit , and minimize the time lost. Another dinner and breakfast you dont have to carry as well.

bigcranky
07-25-2015, 20:33
I would plan it to get to Franklin in the late afternoon, and then spend the night there, and leave out the next morning to maximize the benefit , and minimize the time lost. Another dinner and breakfast you dont have to carry as well.

+1, only because I like showers and food prepared by professionals. :)

Sly
07-25-2015, 20:39
In Sept, I am going NOBO from GA/NC line to Fontana Dam

There's no easy way to the GA/NC line that isn't on trail (you need to find the local paved roads then walk a forest service road). Most start at Dick's Creek Gap which makes it about 67.5 miles.to NOC.