PDA

View Full Version : What's the perfect pack size? Let's talk!!

BenOnAdventures
07-26-2015, 12:07
In your opinion, what is the perfect pack size for a big thru hike like the AT, CDT, PCT, etc.? Why? Let's talk!!

Wülfgang
07-26-2015, 12:11
The pack that is big enough for you.

daddytwosticks
07-26-2015, 12:20
Depends on so much. Too broad a question. :)

RangerZ
07-26-2015, 12:24
<Yoda voice>: "There is no perfect, only right for you."

BenOnAdventures
07-26-2015, 18:55
Thank you to all three of you!! I appreciate the responses! I should've been more specific, I'd say possibly an ultralight pack to do a thru hike with, any recommendations or would you still say do what's good for me?

SteelCut
07-26-2015, 19:07
You are doing it backwards. Buy all your gear first and then determine the pack size that will accommodate the size and weight of your gear plus your anticipated average number of days of food plus water. Some thru's have used as small as a 30L pack and many use 60L or larger Since you haven't provided your gear list no one can give you an accurate recommendation.

kayak karl
07-26-2015, 19:10
The time of year are you leaving will effect this also

Venchka
07-26-2015, 19:10
Adding the word "ultralight" also adds another criteria: Fits you. Fits the job at hand-intended maximum load. Fits your budget.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

nsherry61
07-26-2015, 19:11
There is so, so much more to the right pack other than size. Most people thru-hike with something between 40 and 60 L. I'm sure it's been done with packs ranging from 25 - 100 L. Heck, Gramma Gatewood did the AT several times with nothing more than a small laundry bag.

By the way, it's the weekend. If you're not laying in bed sick, why aren't you out hiking and figuring this stuff out for yourself? ;)

Nodust
07-26-2015, 20:02
GG Gorilla is perfect for me with 5 days food. As long as it doesn't get any colder than 24°F.

But I doubt anyone has EXACTLY what I have in my pack.

Malto
07-26-2015, 20:19
OK, I will bite. I used an MLD Burn. Go buy one and try to fits your gear in it. Or you can follow the suggestions above and get all your gear first then and only then measure the volume and go from there. One final thought, my food volume is well over 50% of my total volume, sometime even higher. That must be factored in for a thru hike where you will be carrying much larger volumes of food then you normally do on shorter hikes.

BenOnAdventures
07-26-2015, 20:26
Excellent advice from all of you, I really I appreciate it! I'll keep this in mind!!

Slo-go'en
07-26-2015, 20:49
65L, +/- 10L

65L is a pretty typical, middle of the road size pack which is commonly found on the AT.

If you need bigger then that you got too much stuff, or it's too big and heavy (like tent and/or sleeping bag). Going smaller then 65 and you start to enter the ream of the ultra lighter which generally takes some experience to pull off.

Wülfgang
07-27-2015, 11:14
A lot of thru hikers love ULA packs. They're made by and for long distance hikers. Check out their lineup----the Catalyst is their flagship model with plenty of space for an UL'er. I have the Ohm 2.0 and love it. It holds about 60 liters max and is such a "just right" pack.....for me.

QiWiz
07-27-2015, 16:17
Start with your gear, then use the smallest/lightest pack that holds your gear and food and water and carries comfortably for you. For PCT/CDT, remember that there may be times that you have to carry a lot of water and/or food between water sources and resupply points and plan accordingly.

Venchka
07-27-2015, 18:47
Start with your gear, then use the smallest/lightest pack that holds your gear and food and water and carries comfortably for you. For PCT/CDT, remember that there may be times that you have to carry a lot of water and/or food between water sources and resupply points and plan accordingly.

PLUS a bear canister in certain places.

Wayne

George
07-27-2015, 23:34
perfect pack is large, heavy, has all your stuff in it - and is on someone else's back

everything else is a compromise

shelb
07-28-2015, 23:57
I like my 45 Osprey! (Started with a 55 Deuter).

BenOnAdventures
07-30-2015, 23:34
Awesome answers!! Sorry for the late reply! I've had family in town this week, so haven't been on social media lately but thank you all so much!!

Gry
08-12-2015, 15:39
I am a big fan of the ULA Circuit, once I had summer gear I switched to the Ohm 2.0 and went back to the circuit.

shakey_snake
08-12-2015, 20:23
As small as possible.

If you can't fit everything in it with a full food haul, figure out what you can give up.

Heliotrope
08-18-2015, 22:52
I like the points about variables such as food volume, bear canister, large water carrying capacity, season., base gear wt and volume.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QiWiz
08-19-2015, 16:27
Assemble all your gear first and then determine the pack size that will accommodate the size and weight of your gear plus your anticipated average number of days of food plus water.

+1
the less I carry the more I enjoy the trail
just-big-enough is the size pack I prefer
it's worth carrying information about the trail (water sources, especially) to carry less water on trail
local short trips will help you sort all this out before you do the longer trips farther from your home base