PDA

View Full Version : Skeeters & Other Pests

g00gle
07-26-2015, 17:08
Moderators: This doesn't seem like a "Wildlife" or "Safety" question and I don't know where else to put it...

So, I had somewhat of an adventure this weekend. Part of it found me crashing through the woods at night with a Petzl on my head and a Fenix in my hand. I believe I found most of the poison ivy in Ohio, but what was really annoying was the amount of mosquitoes I managed to attract. I should have dressed more appropriately but I was sort of in a hurry. Today I look like the neighborhood kids found a sale on surplus BB's.

I never really paid much attention to skeeters before I started to think about a long-distance hike. And now it seems like every time I go outside I find my level of awareness about some new issue amplified just a little more than what it used to be. (For the record, I am far more worried about blisters and bug bites than any snakes or bears.)

In the case of this weekend, I happened to notice the skeeters around here were most active around dusk and again at dawn. So, today (in between doses of Tecnu and Benadryl) I got to wondering if the skeeters and/or flies follow similar or different patterns along the trail in the south and especially up north.

This is more about curiosity than avoidance. I sort of expect to get bit, harassed, whatever. And I've read about some precautions and simple measures other hikers have used with some measure of success (head net, loose clothing, etc.) I've also read some interesting stories about how bad the black flies up in the New England area can get. But I don't recall reading much about the times of year or the time of day when flying pests were most active.

When are skeeters most active along the trail? Is it different between the south and the north? What about ticks? Do they have a time-period when they are more prevalent?

dbright
07-26-2015, 17:47
You should look into permethrin

Heliotrope
07-26-2015, 18:12
Moderators: This doesn't seem like a "Wildlife" or "Safety" question and I don't know where else to put it...

So, I had somewhat of an adventure this weekend. Part of it found me crashing through the woods at night with a Petzl on my head and a Fenix in my hand. I believe I found most of the poison ivy in Ohio, but what was really annoying was the amount of mosquitoes I managed to attract. I should have dressed more appropriately but I was sort of in a hurry. Today I look like the neighborhood kids found a sale on surplus BB's.

I never really paid much attention to skeeters before I started to think about a long-distance hike. And now it seems like every time I go outside I find my level of awareness about some new issue amplified just a little more than what it used to be. (For the record, I am far more worried about blisters and bug bites than any snakes or bears.)

In the case of this weekend, I happened to notice the skeeters around here were most active around dusk and again at dawn. So, today (in between doses of Tecnu and Benadryl) I got to wondering if the skeeters and/or flies follow similar or different patterns along the trail in the south and especially up north.

This is more about curiosity than avoidance. I sort of expect to get bit, harassed, whatever. And I've read about some precautions and simple measures other hikers have used with some measure of success (head net, loose clothing, etc.) I've also read some interesting stories about how bad the black flies up in the New England area can get. But I don't recall reading much about the times of year or the time of day when flying pests were most active.

When are skeeters most active along the trail? Is it different between the south and the north? What about ticks? Do they have a time-period when they are more prevalent?

Here in New England, the black flies hit first sometime between mid MAY and mid June. The Mosquitos take over for the rest of the summer but decrease into August. By late Summer it is pretty bug free. Colder nights will end their season. Wetter, boggier terrain with lots of standing water is the perfect breeding ground for Mosquitos. Drier summers tend to be less buggy. I believe ticks tend to be more active in spring and summer. And there are definitely hot spots for ticks- such as the mid Atlantic up into NJ, NY, CT etc. A netting enclosure for sleeping is crucial- consider carrying a bug bivy if you plan to use shelters. I always take light wind pants and shirt as well as headnet and repellent. Good luck out there!!

elray
07-26-2015, 20:18
Ah hiking Ohio! A series of muddy ill planned "puds" usually laid out by disinterested park maintenance employees with little thought to campsite distances which are required bivouacs. The wholesale rape of our once stately forests allows the companies that are currently clear cutting the trees to re-route the path with no warning or switchbacks and then there are the mosquitoes! One of our first long distance hikes was in the Shawnee State forest during a late wet Spring and the combination of black flies and bloodsuckers just about soured us on the whole backpacking thing before we had even gotten a good start. That was a long six days! After that first time we planned our local hikes and sections on the AT with just that thing in mind, what are the bugs like this time of year. Keep in mind that much of the AT is above an elevation where mosquitoes freely breed and are much more tolerable, of course you'll generally be camping in the gaps or notches and there will be insects. The best way to plan your hikes will be to ask the members on this web site about trail conditions and bugs in the area, they will be more than happy to report, Happy Trails!