PDA

View Full Version : How physically prepared were you when you started?

LostInSpace
11-23-2005, 14:33
I am wondering how physically conditioned are hikers when they start a thru hike. Do you think you were prepared enough? If not, would you likely have conditioned yourself better if you did it again? Would you have altered your pace, schedule, etc., to compensate rather than prepare differently?

Background: I am not sure when I will do a thru hike. I do not want to put it off too long … the years are catching up to me, but I am still trying to outrun them. I am in good health and probably in a little better than average physical condition for my age … of course that is all relative. I have been BPing off and on for 30 years. A couple of years ago I hiked across the Sierra Nevada and last year hiked the Bob Marshall Wilderness for two weeks without any problems (lots of elevation change and saw zero people except the first day in and the last day out). This year the longest hike was in Zion NP, but there were not a lot of days out without re-supply.

chris
11-23-2005, 14:39
I was moderately fit when I did my first section hike in 2002. In 2004, I was in good shape. I'd say that most hikers start out in town shape, which is to say not very good for the elevation changes, steepness, and weight. Personally, I'd want to be the best shape I could be at the start of a hike, mostly so that physical problems don't drag me down and I can spend all my energy on the mental and spiritual issues that come up at the start.

Tin Man
11-23-2005, 14:47
I haven't thru hiked, but I have done 50 mile stretches (63 miles this year) and have read extensively. I am sure you will get lots of advice and here are the basics I have read and somewhat experienced myself:

There is no amount of conditioning that will prepare yourself fully for a long distance hike. That said, the more you can get out with a loaded pack and do similar trails beforehand the better off you will be. Start with a few miles and work your way up to 6 or 8 miles at a clip. Sure, aerobic conditioning is helpful, but actually hiking with a loaded pack is better. When you start your thru, don't plan on doing the average miles right away. Work your way up to it slowly and plan to take some time off to rest your knees, legs, feet, and yes, your mind. Half the battle is mental. Good luck!

Footslogger
11-23-2005, 14:55
Before my thru in 2003 I was hiking regularly on weekends with a light pack, albeit 2 - 3 nighters, but I didn't do anything out of the ordinary (for me, that is) in terms of physical conditioning. From my prior experience, something just told me that the trail itself would be the best means of getting in shape for my hike. I began with that philosphy and just added mileage as it felt right. Kept my mileage right at 8 - 10/day for the first 2 - 3 weeks with generous brakes to let my body adjust to the extra load and terrain and never had a problem.

'Slogger

Mouse
11-23-2005, 15:10
I was only so-so fit. About 10 pounds overweight. About two weeks before I started I began carrying my loaded pack down into Philadelphia's Wissahickan Gorge and back evey other day or so. Then when I began at Springer I kept my miles down until I slowly got used to the Trail.

I suspect few are really superready when they start, but if you listen to your body and don't overdo the daily mileage fitness comes as you hike. Some say the only way to get fit for thruhiking is by thruhiking! :rolleyes:

SalParadise
11-23-2005, 15:11
I think at 60 you'd want to get in shape as best as you can before the hike. Nothing crazy, but make some effort. Certainly no exercise can exact hiking like hiking itself, but any exercise you choose to do will help.

What I saw a lot of, and maybe other members will echo this, is that the vast majority of "Generation Experience" members simply couldn't hike as fast, so they tended to average about three miles less per day. What that eventually meant was that on miserable days I could afford a day's wait in town, whereas slower hikers were forced to go out in it to keep their average up.

Of course I'm presuming a lot, but I would only suggest some exercise so that you may have the opportunity to avoid hiking in some bad weather--not to say you won't have to anyway.

Footslogger
11-23-2005, 15:19
[quote=SalParadise]What I saw a lot of, and maybe other members will echo this, is that the vast majority of "Generation Experience" members simply couldn't hike as fast, so they tended to average about three miles less per day. What that eventually meant was that on miserable days I could afford a day's wait in town, whereas slower hikers were forced to go out in it to keep their average.
==============================================
Actually that wasn't my experience. I turned 54 during my thru and found that I covered (on average) the same number of miles/day as many of my more youthfull counterparts ...it just took me longer. Sure, there were the fast pacers with a lot of endurance who pushed on beyond what I was able/willing to cover in a day but ironically I tended to catch up to them in a town or at a hostel while they were taking a day off to recup.

'Slogger

Jaybird
11-23-2005, 15:38
I'd say...most hikers (IF they are totally honest about it) arent in as good a shape when they start out as they think they are.

Those GEORGIA mountains can beat down even the "20-somethings" with that LARGE "S" on their chest....as well as the old timers.

since i'm a section-hiker...i'd say i'm in "fair" shape....to take on the trail in the Spring.:D

Lone Wolf
11-23-2005, 15:42
I was in superb shape on my first thru-hike at age 27. Was running 5 miles a day 3 months before I started. Georgia was a piece of cake

Whistler
11-23-2005, 15:58
I'm kinda with L. Wolf. I started in pretty darn good shape. I didn't get much hiking in [maybe about 6 nights in the 3 months before I started], but I had a steady diet of running, spinning, and occasional weights. My first day was >20, pretty much the same for all the days after. Low pack weight and generally good fitness helps--if you can do the Sierras and Bob Marshall, you'll be fine.

Next time, I'll aim for even better shape. No reason not to, really.

-Mark

Sly
11-23-2005, 16:32
Why hurt twice, when you can hurt once? ;)

neo
11-23-2005, 16:39
i just hit the trail and do it lol:cool: neo

Kerosene
11-23-2005, 16:48
Get in the best shape you can afford to maintain over time. It's better for you and you don't have to stress about getting to a certain point over time. The nice thing about a thru-hike is that you should be able to afford taking extra time over the first 4-8 weeks to get into peak hiking shape, something you can't do when you're section hiking.

The real issue isn't your endurance as much as it is injury prevention. Even if you're in great shape you run the risk of injuring yourself as your ligaments, tendons, and muscles try to acclimate to a daily regimen of walking. A section hiker who gets injured is forced to stop early, while an injured thru-hiker may not be able to get back on the trail in time to finish up that year. The endurance will come with time.

Per L. Wolf's comment, I also thought Georgia was a piece of cake at age 47 relative to some of the northern AT I did when I was younger. I also still play soccer, lift weights, and in general keep myself in pretty good shape. It's not the climbs that do me in, it's tendonitis or a pulled muscle that force me to change my plans. I think that a lighter pack and reasonable body weight are more important than your fitness level as long as you aren't trying to make miles your first month.

Tin Man
11-23-2005, 16:55
I think that a lighter pack and reasonable body weight are more important than your fitness level as long as you aren't trying to make miles your first month.

If there ever was a case for "less is more", this is it.

Scribe
11-23-2005, 19:00
I hiked from Amicalola SP to NOC this past spring, and while the young whippersnappers (ie anybody under 40) did forge ahead of me during the day, they tended to stop earlier and stay in the bag a bit later, so we ended up in the same place in the evenings.

Akin to most people, I was in reasonably good shape when I began - walking, shakedown trips, etc. - but it is likely that after a couple of weeks on the trail, I would have achieved the same fitness level. Of course, I would have been miserable for those first two weeks.

If you've been backpacking in the Sierras and the Bob, chances are you're in better shape than most.

soulrebel
11-23-2005, 19:39
I'm really trying to hold myself back from doing it all in one day. I mean really. "mail drops" what is that?

Heater
11-23-2005, 21:48
I plan on getting in tip top shape before my hike then eating like a pig for 4-6 weeks before the hike. :D

icemanat95
11-23-2005, 22:41
I was strong, but not exceptionally fit. My legs were not exactly tuned for long days though. I could carry heavy packs up and down steep terrain for short durations (under 8 miles), but the idea of extending out to 15 or more was a stretch for me. The type of muscle needed to backpack long distances day after day, is different from that used to ride a bike or walk around town or even to run a marathon. By the end of a long-distance hike, your leg musculature is pretty specialized. I suffered a long-term, chronic injury learning that lesson.

Build good cardiovascular health by whatever means is most conveninet for you, then plan short days (8 miles or so) for the first couple weeks, dropping in the occasional 12 miler to push the limits. Then do more and more 12 milers as you travel north. By the time you hit the Smokies, you'll be on your way. By the time you hit Damascus, you'll be in good hiking shape...or you'll be thinking about quitting.

Stretch. Find a good stretch for the iliotibial band and perform it religiously several times a day. If that sucker gets short and overused, it can stop you cold in your tracks it hurts so much.

Tin Man
11-23-2005, 22:58
Lost,

Well, you can clearly see the younger ones are more cavalier than the more experienced hikers. Yes, I am "only" a section hiker, but I can tell you a certain amount of preparedness helps, but there is nothing like doing the actual AT. For me, my short 3-6 mile prep hikes with pack helped me do 8-12 miles with no problem. Longer than 12 miles, for me in my advanced years and my current condition, would still take a few weeks to build up to. While I have done 16 miles on a short section, I felt and knew it was overding it. Everyone is different and in different shape. The best advice is to do what you can to prepare, but do not expect to be fully prepared. Plan to take your time early, work your way up to more miles, take time off when your body tells you, and don't forget to have fun.

Grampie
11-24-2005, 10:59
Like Slogger said, "the trail will get you in shape." I was 66 when I did my thru. Did very little pre hike conditioning, was 20 lbs over weight, carried a pack weighing 45 lbs. and had a wounderfull hike.
Just keep in mind that at an advanced age you are not going to be able to do the miles that young folks can do. Especialy not in the begining. Be satisfied with 8-10 mile days and take a "0" every 5-7 days to rest your body. The older you are the longer it will take to get into trail shape. It took me about 5 weeks before I could do 14-16 mile days without much effort.
Just remember to "hike your own hike."
:)

Lucy Lulu
11-26-2005, 18:31
Yes, the trail will get you in shape, but you will enjoy it more if you are in shape prior to starting the hike. When I started south in 98 I was in pretty good shape, and although the hiking was tough, I had a good time without too many aches and pains.

I started north this past March, 30 lbs. overweight, and in no damn good shape at all! Let me just say, compared to 98, I was miserable. A hundred steps into my Georgia climbs, and I was huffing like a train. A hundred steps later I was simply baby stepping through the blurs, and questioning my ability to keep from weaving off the side of the mountain out of sheer fatigue. I won't even mention soreness. Every sip of water was preceded by an ibuprophen.

You don't have to be triathlon material, but get in shape before you start the hike. You will enjoy the experience oh so much more, and Georgia and North Carolina will be remembered as more than just a painful blur.

hustler
11-27-2005, 01:31
Being in Excellent Physical Shape has its advantages in life and the trail. I did 4 marathons within 3 months prior to doing the trail both times. On my second hike I hiked 28 miles my first day out. Training for my PCT hike, I will be doing 100 mile ultra marathons for prep. You will be thanking yourself if you're in good shape while hiking Georgia and Tenn/North Carolina. Plus you are more likely to stay healthy on the trail. I ended up gaining 15 pounds over the coarse of my hike.

LostInSpace
11-29-2005, 17:22
Thanks to everyone for sharing their perspective. The consensus seems to be that being reasonably fit is sufficient, but getting in the best possible shape is unquestionably better. Pacing is a no-brainer for me.

Iceman said:

“Stretch. Find a good stretch for the iliotibial band and perform it religiously several times a day. If that sucker gets short and overused, it can stop you cold in your tracks it hurts so much.”

Stretching is probably the single most important routine for me. I learned the hard way and suffered from plantar fasciitis because I got lazy about stretching. Regular stretching and using good insoles solved the problem.

Footnotes
12-06-2005, 20:45
At the beginning of 2005 I decided to go to GA and head north. I was there in 2004 and got my butt kicked by the terrain and pack weight. I am retired so this year I gradually worked up to walking 5 days a week 10 miles a day. Once I achieved that I started carrying a 40 lb pack 5 miles a day and walking 5 miles. I gradually worked up to carrying the pack 10 miles 5 days a week. I have some nice hills in my neighborhood, but nothing outstanding. I worked up to the 10 miles over a 4 month period. When I got to GA I had no problem. The day I did Albert Mt I churned out 13 miles. Did I mention I cut the pack weight to 33 lbs for the hike? That was down from 44lbs the year before. Hope this helps

Programbo
12-06-2005, 23:10
It`s been a long long time since I did my hike but I was in pretty good condition for it because for 5 years before I started I had a newspaper route that required me to walk 5 miles each morning which included a lot of up and down hills and I`d serve like 450 papers which we spread out in 50 paper bundles..Back then we used those over the shoulder straps and not the carry bags..In addition I used to carry a heavy back pack when I served my papers in the year leading up to my hike and would ride my bike about 25 miles a day also. I had great leg strength and could walk a long way easily..But I had no real upper body strength which is something I would change if I did it again

drsukie
12-09-2005, 11:57
The advice on stretching, I think from Iceman originally, through LostinSpace, is KEY! More important than weights, etc.

You lose flexibility, you are doomed on a dayhike let alone a long trail.

I am a chiropractor, specializing in sports. I can't give "professional" advice on this forum :) , but I'd be happy to send out some key stretching routines for long-distance hiking if amyone is interested. I am working them up right now for myself for my 2006 thru-hike!

My personal e-mail is [email protected] ... Sue

foodbag
12-09-2005, 13:33
"You lose flexibility, you are doomed on a dayhike let alone a long trail."

A truer statement has never been uttered. I set out to do 1,500 A.T. miles last summer. I blew off stretching in the morning before hiking, strained my Achilles tendon 3 or 4 days into it, walked on it for 6 more days and ended up going home for 17 days to wait for the swelling to go down.

And I should have known better too because I was 47 at the time :datz Live and learn I guess....

Anyhow, I'll be back next summer for another two week installment! :sun