PDA

View Full Version : Gear Questions for First-Time Thru-Hike Attempt

oliviamariana
07-26-2015, 19:18
I'm planning on attempting a thru-hike in 2017 and doing a bunch of progressively longer hikes until then to prepare, but most of my current experience is limited to flat, warm areas.

1) What size backpack would y'all recommend for a thru-hike with a dog? He'll have his own pack but I'll likely have to carry some of his stuff.

2) Which gear did y'all find it made the most difference to go really light/expensive with? I'm trying to keep my weight down as much as possible but I'm going to have to compromise and buy heavier/lower quality in some cases since I'm on a bit of a budget.

thanks in advance!

RangerZ
07-26-2015, 21:49
These questions have been / are being answered on WB before / now. Look up those threads.
NOLA is so flat (highest point is Monkey Island at the zoo at about 18’ if I remember right) that even hiking with a loaded pack probably won’t prepare you or your dog for the AT. Find a building in the CBD and start stair climbing with a pack. Really consider his capabilities; you’re getting those answers in other threads.
I used to run up and down the levee faces to get any hills when I lived in Metairie, but that was just for running not backpacking.

Nodust
07-26-2015, 21:55
These questions have been / are being answered on WB before / now. Look up those threads.
NOLA is so flat (highest point is Monkey Island at the zoo at about 18’ if I remember right) that even hiking with a loaded pack probably won’t prepare you or your dog for the AT. Find a building in the CBD and start stair climbing with a pack. Really consider his capabilities; you’re getting those answers in other threads.
I used to run up and down the levee faces to get any hills when I lived in Metairie, but that was just for running not backpacking.

I agree. Nothing in Louisiana will prepare you for the hills on the trial. Clark Creek just across the border into Mississippi will be the closest thing there is. The 6 mile primitive loop is tough but no camping allowed.

Backbone Trail in Kisatchie is a good 8 mile trail that allows camping. Not flat but not really hard hill climbs. But a good place to shakedown gear. I like to make a two or three trips a year there.

nsherry61
07-26-2015, 22:04
To many other threads on topic #1 right now to warrant yet another reply.

Re #2, The things I think of as the biggest cost and weight savings with arguably no performance penalty are as follows:
Using a tarp instead of a tent saves LOTS of money and weight and space. And, personally, I prefer a tarp to a tent in almost all situations.
O2 or FrogTog's raingear is light and cheap and works well.
Cooking can be done nicely with home-made or inexpensive ultralight alcohol stoves.
Disposable water bottles like Smartwater or Avion or whatever, instead of Nalgene bottles or the like.
The most important weight and cost saving gear is the gear you choose not to take.

Spend your money on a good backpack and sleeping bag/quilt. You can likely scrounge, and get creative on just about everything else.

Venchka
07-26-2015, 22:24
If you must have a tent, which is fine, the TarpTent Squall 2 offers plenty of room for both you are your dog for the same weight and price as many solo tents.

Wayne

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk

bigcranky
07-27-2015, 07:22
The most important weight and cost saving gear is the gear you choose not to take.

Spend your money on a good backpack and sleeping bag/quilt. You can likely scrounge, and get creative on just about everything else.

This. Your pack has to fit and carry well, and your sleeping bag has to keep you warm at night.

For most people, finding the right gear is an iterative process -- you buy inexpensive gear to start, of course, then replace things gradually as you realize what you need and want. This is true with any sport or hobby, I think. It's more difficult when you're young and on a limited budget, and saving all your money for a long hike. It's even more difficult when you can't easily test the gear under realistic conditions, e.g. testing a sleeping bag in cold weather, or trail shoes on a steep climb.

So, first, a question: where are you planning on doing your increasingly longer hikes to prepare?

Second, a suggestion: plan to go for a week long, or even two week, hike on the AT in Georgia next spring or early summer. Save up all your money for gear, and bring it to the outfitter at Neels Gap (http://www.mountaincrossings.com/), which is one of the best places to buy the specialized gear that long distance hikers use. Let them sell you all the gear you need for a thru-hike - they will make sure it fits, make sure you know how to use it, and you'll get the right gear for the hike (or, at least, you won't get totally wrong gear like you might at a big box store). The folks here on WB can help you put together a list, and figure out what you already own that will work, and where to save money.

(This reminds me, several years ago we met an older gentleman on the trail in GA who had done exactly that, and he was from New Orleans.)

Beyond just getting the gear, the week long hike will give you a very good idea of what to expect on the trail, and how your dog handles the hiking life day in and day out. It's very different.

Good luck.

ouachitahiker
07-27-2015, 08:25
For your longer hikes you should consider the Eagle Rock Loop in the Southern Ouachitas of Arkansas. At around 26 miles it is the longest loop trail in the state. The Athens Big Fork section is very challenging. Also the OK section of the Ouachita trail will humble any one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

oliviamariana
07-27-2015, 11:30
This. Your pack has to fit and carry well, and your sleeping bag has to keep you warm at night.

For most people, finding the right gear is an iterative process -- you buy inexpensive gear to start, of course, then replace things gradually as you realize what you need and want. This is true with any sport or hobby, I think. It's more difficult when you're young and on a limited budget, and saving all your money for a long hike. It's even more difficult when you can't easily test the gear under realistic conditions, e.g. testing a sleeping bag in cold weather, or trail shoes on a steep climb.

So, first, a question: where are you planning on doing your increasingly longer hikes to prepare?

Second, a suggestion: plan to go for a week long, or even two week, hike on the AT in Georgia next spring or early summer. Save up all your money for gear, and bring it to the outfitter at Neels Gap (http://www.mountaincrossings.com/), which is one of the best places to buy the specialized gear that long distance hikers use. Let them sell you all the gear you need for a thru-hike - they will make sure it fits, make sure you know how to use it, and you'll get the right gear for the hike (or, at least, you won't get totally wrong gear like you might at a big box store). The folks here on WB can help you put together a list, and figure out what you already own that will work, and where to save money.

(This reminds me, several years ago we met an older gentleman on the trail in GA who had done exactly that, and he was from New Orleans.)

Beyond just getting the gear, the week long hike will give you a very good idea of what to expect on the trail, and how your dog handles the hiking life day in and day out. It's very different.

Good luck.

Ha! Older gentleman you met very well could have been my dad -- he's spent a lot of time on the AT but kind of wants me to figure it all out the way he did when he was 20.

I'll start out doing some stuff around Louisiana (Diesel is a big fan of Clark Creek!) and at some point a week or so on the AT with Diesel to see how he handles it. Next summer I'll be doing the 6 week GR10 with my dad to really build up some hours. I've done quite a few day hikes in the Pyrenees and am pretty familiar with the terrain out there. I'm not willing to put my dog in cargo to get there though, so Diesel won't be coming along on that one.

I'll be doing some canoe and kayak camping to get really quick about setting up whichever tent I decide on -- I have a good bit of experience with that but it's been years and I don't exactly plan on bringing the big ole Coleman 6 person that I usually strap to my kayak anywhere on my back! I'd like to have that down pat since very little sounds more discouraging than struggling with an unfamiliar tent when I'm already cold, tired, and wet

oliviamariana
07-27-2015, 11:31
I'll take a look at that!

bigcranky
07-27-2015, 12:54
Ha! Older gentleman you met very well could have been my dad -- he's spent a lot of time on the AT but kind of wants me to figure it all out the way he did when he was 20.

Possible, though unlikely as this guy was probably twenty years older than me, and not at all experienced at the time.

oliviamariana
07-27-2015, 13:49
Possible, though unlikely as this guy was probably twenty years older than me, and not at all experienced at the time.

definitely not then! he was on the trail a few years ago (he's 60) but his first thru was when he was my age