PDA

View Full Version : 100 Days at 50 years old, possible?

HansKris
07-27-2015, 10:33
Hello everyone. I am planning to attempt a thru-hike in 2016 in 100 days which would end on my 50th Birthday November 7th in Georgia. That means I would be leaving Maine on July 31st, a little different than most as it is a very late start. Any words of advice or encouragement would be greatly appreciated. Can this be done, is 50 too old? Has anyone out there done a south bound in 100 days? I used to be a serious hiker and rock scrambler up until my 30's, but then my Corporate life took over and I forgot what made me happy. This coming year I am walking away from all that and walking back into the woods. Doing the AT in 100 days is my pilgrimage and my way to detoxify my soul. I plan on doing a 6 month training program to get back in shape mentally and physically .

1azarus
07-27-2015, 10:42
I'm pretty sure that 100 days at 65 would be possible... I wish I could find out! In any event, it looks like there isn't a real problem if your 100 days becomes a few days more. No harm in having a goal! The best news is that your schedule is pretty perfect for a fast SOBO -- not too cold, not too hot, not too buggy... just right.

illabelle
07-27-2015, 10:56
Welcome to WhiteBlaze, HansKris! I hope you are successful with your journey.

Many of the people we meet on the trail are 50 or older, as are many of the fine folks here on WB (myself included). I can't speak to whether or not 100 days is doable for you - I hike much slower than that! It works out to an average of 22 miles per day, which does sound really high when you consider time in town to resupply, clean up, and rest. Also, it appears that your planned start time leaves you no leeway for unanticipated delays. If the November 7 birthday finish is important to you, you might need to start earlier.

Malto
07-27-2015, 11:03
Yes, it is very possible. Can you do it? Who knows. I did the PCT in 98 days in 2011 at the ripe age of 45. I am completely confident I could do a sub 100 AT hike but I also have dozens of 40+ mile days under my belt which gives me that confidence. I will caution you that there is a huge difference between excel hiking and real hiking. many have grandiose plans that look great in excel only to find out its a bit harder.

check out Swami's blog. Google Hikinglife he did a very fast SoBo in under 80 days. But he was a young pup at 42 or so.

Slo-go'en
07-27-2015, 11:04
Hard tell'en, not know'en.

So long as your in really, really good shape with no health issues, age shouldn't be much of a factor.

The very late start and short time frame is going to be the problem. 100 days means a minimum of 22 miles a day, every day. Since that will not always be possible, your looking at many days of well over 22 to make up for the short days. Doing those kind of miles later in the fall as the amount of daylight decreases and the weather deteriorates, will become difficult. Avoiding injury will be a concern. Your going to be under pressure to do consistently big mile days right from the start and your starting on the most difficult part of the trail. That can lead to all kinds of problems like stress fractures, tendon problems, slips and falls.

HansKris
07-27-2015, 11:11
Good words, and I am grateful for them especially from an experienced hiker. 98 days at 45 makes me feel better. I have a lot of experience under my belt and 35+ days as well, but they are a decade and a half behind me. I only live 3 hours from Baxter Park so it was my playground. I only hope that my muscles have memories and will come back to me as I start to get in shape over the next year. If after 3 months of practice hiking in Maine, I am not feeling confident, I will change my start date and give myself more time.

Venchka
07-27-2015, 11:27
Go for it! Build a mileage cushion whenever & where ever possible. Limit time off the trail. You may have to carry more food than you would like to avoid lengthy off trail resupply trips. Well planned mail drops could help in that regard too.
Good luck! We will be cheering for you.

Wayne

Sly
07-27-2015, 12:06
Barring injury, what's the worst that happen? You'll fall short of your goal, but still have an incredible 100 day hike.

Deadeye
07-27-2015, 12:26
You let us know... we'll wait.

Odd Man Out
07-27-2015, 13:08
On my last section hike, I had just limped into a camp site, barely able to walk, after doing 37.5 miles in 3 days. Had there been any traffic on the forest service road by the camp site/creek (or cell phone service), I would have gotten a ride to civilization. Instead I had to figure out how I was going to "walk" over the next mountain the next day to where there was a hostel where I knew I could be rescued. Anyway, just as I was at an emotional low point, this guy comes cruising down the trail. He stops to chat for minute. I find out he was a NOBO thru hiker. As this was mid July in central VA, I asked if he thought he could make it in time. He said he was doing about 25 miles a day, so he thought he would be OK. I then found out he was my age (55 yo), which of course made me feel even more inadequate. So I would say -

yes, some of us old people could do that kind of fast thru hike

but...

no, I'm not one of them.

Of course after a good night's rest I felt better, made it over the next mountain and had a good section hike. I just have to remember that it's not a competition, but that's my problem to solve. If you can hike 25 miles per day, then go for it. It can be done. Just be sensitive to the rest of us old farts who are feeling sorry for themselves :D

Coffee
07-27-2015, 13:12
I'm in better shape today at 41 than I was at 21. I think that it all depends on the individual. 50 isn't old age, it is merely the early-mid stages of being middle aged.

rocketsocks
07-27-2015, 13:31
Hey if you could shave a few days off that 50, you'd set a new AT record.

Malto
07-27-2015, 14:01
Good words, and I am grateful for them especially from an experienced hiker. 98 days at 45 makes me feel better. I have a lot of experience under my belt and 35+ days as well, but they are a decade and a half behind me. I only live 3 hours from Baxter Park so it was my playground. I only hope that my muscles have memories and will come back to me as I start to get in shape over the next year. If after 3 months of practice hiking in Maine, I am not feeling confident, I will change my start date and give myself more time.

if you have done those mileage in the past then you have a much better feel for what it takes than most. Your plan sounds very good. The advantage of your age is the wisdom that years brings. that counts for a lot IMHO. I also have found that I can take many months off between super long (50+ mpd) and my body remembers how to hike. It's been a lot longer for you but I suspect your body still has a distant memory of doing the distance. You also have the perfect training ground to get some serious elevation gain. I did my PCT training on the AT in GA. the elevation gain combined with the distance really helped. you may find my journal has a nugget or two. different trail but it was written mainly for other future hikers that are looking to do a faster schedule.

http://postholer.com/journal/viewJournal.php?sid=382581b9803ac451f70f87e85907cc f9&entry_id=20018

Fredt4
07-27-2015, 14:26
Muscle Memory, no such thing. I know I wasn't in better shape at the start of my 2011 (in my 50's) thru than I was in my 20's, but my mind was. Only 20% make it, but I'm sure it's mostly because they don't want to, not that they're not physically able to, granted some aren't able to do so for physical reasons. Sounds to like you're able to do it in 100 days, the question is will you want to once you start hiking and if you hit physical limitations will you push yourself beyond them risking long term issues. I wanted to thru hike, just had no desire to do it on a tight deadline. I enjoyed my hike it wasn't an ordeal.

Wülfgang
07-27-2015, 14:53
Mileage is a hard thing to predict. I'm just a weekend warrior, so take this with a grain of salt, but I find it's better to underestimate your daily mileage than overestimate. If you get done early, it's usually not a big deal.

I can think of 3 hikes in the last year that I planned to be 3 day trips and ended up being 2 day trips because I simply ran out of hiking to do. My dad and I just did 32 miles in 2 days on the CT, which we budgeted 3 full hiking days for. But, when you're feeling good and have nothing to do but hike all day, sometimes the miles can fly by.

Bluegrass
07-27-2015, 15:49
One bit of warning - if you are going SOBO, do not worry as much about your early mileage. Maine is a difficult state, and you will still be developing your Trail legs. Do not worry about falling behind a desired average miles per day, you should be able to make up a bit as you get further south on the Trail.

HansKris
07-27-2015, 20:33
Thanks for the encouragement. I started reading your journal and will continue to do so.

fiddlehead
07-27-2015, 21:49
It really depends on the person.
When I was 51, I feel I was at my best shape for hiking.
But, that came from experience, and training for an ultra (which I completed the Leadville 100 that year)
So, for me, someone who likes to push themselves to the limits, I could have done it at that age.
I think most could not. Up to you! (and your body of course)
now? at 65? could I do it in 100 days? Possibly.
Would be nice to find out actually.
But, I have a son now so, must wait a few more years.
Good luck and have fun.

George
07-27-2015, 22:47
for any of these "fast" hikes a lot of things have to click, near perfectly and consistently - this is not normal on a distance hike, issues of health, weather and the laid back lifestyle that trail towns hopefully embody do not jive with perfect efficientcy - either you have your own support, or you are leaning on others to give you "special" treatment

the AT is not the German rail system

about 4 months - 18 average per day IMO more realistically allows for setbacks/ holdups - and is still a damn fast hike (not exactly smelling the roses)

Deacon
07-28-2015, 05:59
I believe it was Gene Epsy who did his second thru hike at the age of 75. Maybe someone can validate this?

Just Bill
07-28-2015, 08:50
Looks like the only one who hasn't chimed in is Garlic (Garlic08 here). He did it... Malto kicks ass at a youthful 50.
Karl Meltzer is getting there in his late 40's and chasing a 45 day supported hike.

The only thing I might add- Consider picking up Matt Kirk's book http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/112722-Fast-Light-amp-Free

A great tip that Malto passed along for speedy hikes... Look at a record breaking hike, in this case Matt's unsupported trip on the AT. The same lessons and pace apply, you just need to scale up. At 58 days you could set a target for yourself to double his daily mileages. (or for exactly 100 days times them by 1.7)

But using his trip as a framework and then scaling up to your goal would let you have an idea of what miles to hit where. With some goals to shoot for you can start doing a few tune-up trips to see if you are in the ballpark. Each section of the trail is different- just trying to do a lineal pace (average) is frustrating and not very helpful overall as you want to keep your effort relative to the trail difficulty- otherwise you just fight for miles and burn out.

Just as importantly, you can see if you enjoy this type of hike.
Some find it very freeing and enjoyable, despite the work. Many just find it to be work and unenjoyable.

garlic08
07-28-2015, 09:21
I hiked the AT at age 51 in 106 days without really trying, it was just the average 20 mpd pace I had developed on the previous long hikes I'd done. And the guy I hiked with was 63. (I bet we have a team record on the AT for days to complete being less than combined age.)

We never once hiked a 30 mile day on the AT, just kept a consistent 25+/- mpd pace and took time off when we wanted to. We met friends and family, celebrated birthdays, chatted with new friends and trail angels, toured local historical sites, took swims and naps, hiked off trail to see waterfalls and views or go to a good restaurant, never set an alarm, and never had a bad day.

But very important was we kept ourselves well fed, well hydrated, and healthy--never got injured, sunburned, blistered, or sick, no gear broke or had to be replaced, and were able to keep going in harsh weather. We had the Smokies to ourselves for a couple of days during a spring blizzard, an awesome, unforgettable experience. It was also nice to have financial resources to check into a motel or get a quality restaurant meal whenever we wanted (though the hike was relatively cheap at $3500). I couldn't have done all that successfully thirty years earlier, including the money part.

And most important was we both wanted to go for a nice walk every day, and really enjoyed the AT.

John B
07-28-2015, 09:35
I hiked the AT at age 51 in 106 days without really trying, it was just the average 20 mpd pace I had developed on the previous long hikes I'd done. And the guy I hiked with was 63. (I bet we have a team record on the AT for days to complete being less than combined age.)

We never once hiked a 30 mile day on the AT, just kept a consistent 25+/- mpd pace and took time off when we wanted to. We met friends and family, celebrated birthdays, chatted with new friends and trail angels, toured local historical sites, took swims and naps, hiked off trail to see waterfalls and views or go to a good restaurant, never set an alarm, and never had a bad day.

But very important was we kept ourselves well fed, well hydrated, and healthy--never got injured, sunburned, blistered, or sick, no gear broke or had to be replaced, and were able to keep going in harsh weather. We had the Smokies to ourselves for a couple of days during a spring blizzard, an awesome, unforgettable experience. It was also nice to have financial resources to check into a motel or get a quality restaurant meal whenever we wanted (though the hike was relatively cheap at $3500). I couldn't have done all that successfully thirty years earlier, including the money part.

And most important was we both wanted to go for a nice walk every day, and really enjoyed the AT.

That's the best summary post I've ever read.

Wülfgang
07-28-2015, 13:17

That's outstanding and exactly what I want my hike to be.

HansKris
07-28-2015, 16:37
Lots of good feedback here, especially from Malto and Garlic, thanks guys. This hike is about a solitary walk in the woods to find the soul that I lost somewhere in the corporate world. Town days and the social life on the trail are not on the agenda. Early mornings, long steady days, proper gear and food, along with the discipline that only comes with age. I am becoming more and more convinced that not only can I do this, but that I need to do this

Sanity's Edge
07-29-2015, 07:52
With age comes determination. It sounds like you know what it takes (conditioning and planning and paying attention on the trail). I applaud you and hope you find what you seek. I have no doubt you are going to accomplish this.

Jeff
07-29-2015, 12:14
Lots of good feedback here, especially from Malto and Garlic, thanks guys. This hike is about a solitary walk in the woods to find the soul that I lost somewhere in the corporate world. Town days and the social life on the trail are not on the agenda. Early mornings, long steady days, proper gear and food, along with the discipline that only comes with age. I am becoming more and more convinced that not only can I do this, but that I need to do this

Many hikers start with the notion of wanting a wilderness experience. The AT is a social trail and most everyone ends their hike with the realization that the people you meet on trail and in town is the best part of the journey.

Best of luck on your adventure....

Spirit Walker
07-29-2015, 14:08
It will largely depend on how well you can get yourself in shape over the next year. Malto, Garlic and Fiddlehead were not starting from scratch. They had a strong fitness base before they got on the trail. Be careful in how you build your fitness now, so that you don't do too much too soon and end up injured before you even start your hike.

shelb
07-30-2015, 23:11
I wish you luck!!! Great goal!

fiddlehead
07-30-2015, 23:24
It will largely depend on how well you can get yourself in shape over the next year. Malto, Garlic and Fiddlehead were not starting from scratch. They had a strong fitness base before they got on the trail. Be careful in how you build your fitness now, so that you don't do too much too soon and end up injured before you even start your hike.

I agree. (you and Jim did pretty good yourself!!!)

I think there's a lot to be said for a thru-hike or 2 before you start attempting extreme stuff.
Like learning how to go downhills without much wear and tear on your knees.
IMO you must build up the quads to take the punishment off the knees and alter your natural downhill jaunt.
Downhills is probably where most injuries come from.
Find your groove and work at it.
I've posted my technique on here before, here it is in part:
I watch the porters in Nepal go down a hill and learn from them. Short steps, knees bent, keep moving. Not seeming to put all their weight on any one foot at any given time.

garlic08
07-31-2015, 08:41
...Downhills is probably where most injuries come from....

Amen to this. Skiers would definitely agree! There's a tongue-in-cheek joke that 100% off all ski fatalities occur on the last run of the day. But there's a kernel of wisdom there: Don't do something dangerous when you're tired, and all you're thinking about is beer and pizza. That goes for the many steep descents into towns on the AT. Stop at the top, take a long break, eat the rest of your food, think about what you're doing, and do it safely.

Wyoming
07-31-2015, 14:31
Many hikers start with the notion of wanting a wilderness experience. The AT is a social trail and most everyone ends their hike with the realization that the people you meet on trail and in town is the best part of the journey.

Best of luck on your adventure....

Not to be contrary, but I question this. Maybe for an extrovert or someone towards the young end of the age spectrum it would be true. But there are lots of us who are not out there for the social aspects of the trail and really do not like the town stuff at all. I spent as much time away from other hikers as I could. I avoided camping near shelters and only stayed in a shelter (outside of GSMNP) with other hikers 2-3 times. I did not hike with others hardly ever either. I loved it that way. I have met or conversed via the net with quite a few who feel exactly as I do. I have no significant memories of any towns or really any hikers other than 1 or 2. So there is plenty out there for what HansKris says he is interested in.

I did the AT at 51 and averaged 21 mpd from Kincora to Hanover. I think most in their early 50's could do that. I could have gone thru the Whites at near that speed but I cut it down to about 17 mpd and just sort of mosied along.

garlic08
07-31-2015, 17:06
Not to be contrary, but I question this...

I agree and my hike was much the same, but that was more a function of speed than hiking style. A very small percentage of AT hikers are 20+ mpd hikers. I would usually stop at a shelter and use a bench or table for a meal, socialize with anyone there, use the privy, then move on to camp solo a few hours later. I met a lot of interesting people, some of whom I correspond with and have met up with over the years, but I never actually hiked with anyone for more than a few hours. Even a few hours on a trail can form a strong bond.

I know one recent AT thru hiker who had planned on and was capable of a fast hike, but slowed down to hike with all the wonderful people he was meeting. He had the time and could afford it. So the social aspect draws some, but definitely not all. In summary, I think it will be whatever you want it to be.

Heliotrope
08-01-2015, 09:47

I turned 50 last November 10th. I haven't done a thru hike yet. Like you life had got in the way of doing any lengthy trips. Last year I tested myself on the 100 MW which was the longest stretch of trail I have done without resupply. Knowing that I can traverse that distance has given me confidence that I can do the other sections. I learned a lot about my ability, my gear, food requirements etc. To prepare I train locally at Acadia National Park which has some very rocky and steep routes. I am heading back out to hike the same section this year with some new gear and strategies. If you would like to plan some training hikes send me a pm. I live about 2.5 hours from Baxter.

HansKris
08-05-2015, 06:18
Well, this past weekend began my journey back into shape. Nothing heavy,just two shorter hikes of 4 miles each first one easy ground second one severe elevation, felt amazing. I can do this. Build up a few miles a week, cardio during the week, and eating right. I have a year.

Colter
08-05-2015, 14:30
Well, this past weekend began my journey back into shape. Nothing heavy,just two shorter hikes of 4 miles each first one easy ground second one severe elevation, felt amazing. I can do this. Build up a few miles a week, cardio during the week, and eating right. I have a year.

All you have to do is hike about three times as far as you did over those two days, in one day. Then do it 100 days in a row. :)

Jake2c
08-05-2015, 22:25
My only thought would be that, what you did a decade ago really won't be that much of a help today. I used to run marathons decades ago and easily clipped of 100 mile days on a bike as little as 7 years ago. I was a part of a 3 man national champion karate team in college a long time ago. All that has equated to today as I took up hiking a couple of years ago was that my brain remembered what I could do buy my body could not do it. It has caused me more than a few painful recoveries. That doesn't mean you can't, just means you will need to prepare very well first.

Wildfang
09-01-2015, 00:18
You can do anything if you put your mind to it enough. I work at REI and a guy fixing to turn 65 was gonna do the JMT out west in less than 30 days. The guy hadn't retired yet and wasn't able to take off more than a month from work. He was in pretty rough shape, and hadn't gone camping since he was in his 30s. You can totally do it. Make sure you know what you're doing by having the right gear and knowing how to use it and not overpacking, and are confident in yourself, carry that mindset with you the entire time, and have a solid support system (either on the trail or for when and if you call home). That'll be some keys to success.

meat803
09-08-2015, 16:54
I just completed my thru hike last month. Im going to be brutally honest and go against the grain of most posts here. The chances of you doing the AT in 100 days are slim and none. I'm 38, in great physical shape, and a strong mind to finish anything I start. It took me about 150 days. I wasn't trying to race through but I was a stickler about getting a minimum number of miles a day. Looking back, I should have taken more time to enjoy the people and trail rather than focused on mileage.

There are a lot of people on this forum that have never done a thru hike yet love to give advice to a fledgling hiker about the task. Be weary of such advice. Has a 50+ yr old done the AT in 100 or less, sure. But those people had hiking experience and a serious athletic background. Neither of those seem to be your current description. Out of 100 people that have in their mind they are going to do an AT thru and attempt it, less than 20% actually hike the "entire" trail. Out of those, how many are capable of doing it in 100 days? Less than 1% of those that attempt I would say. 2,200 miles in itself is no joke. Your setting yourself up for failure. Sorry to be a Debbie Downer.

Malto
09-08-2015, 20:32
I just completed my thru hike last month. Im going to be brutally honest and go against the grain of most posts here. The chances of you doing the AT in 100 days are slim and none. I'm 38, in great physical shape, and a strong mind to finish anything I start. It took me about 150 days. I wasn't trying to race through but I was a stickler about getting a minimum number of miles a day. Looking back, I should have taken more time to enjoy the people and trail rather than focused on mileage.

There are a lot of people on this forum that have never done a thru hike yet love to give advice to a fledgling hiker about the task. Be weary of such advice. Has a 50+ yr old done the AT in 100 or less, sure. But those people had hiking experience and a serious athletic background. Neither of those seem to be your current description. Out of 100 people that have in their mind they are going to do an AT thru and attempt it, less than 20% actually hike the "entire" trail. Out of those, how many are capable of doing it in 100 days? Less than 1% of those that attempt I would say. 2,200 miles in itself is no joke. Your setting yourself up for failure. Sorry to be a Debbie Downer.

Actually, most of the people giving the advice have done a thru hike and many have done a relatively fast hikes so they know the drill. Doing a hundred day hike or any thru hike isn't for everyone. Sounds like it wasn't your cup of tea. But your limitations do not limit others. Finally, there are plenty of hikers that are capable but fewer that have the desire. If the OP is willing to put the effort in then there is nothing stopping him. the fact that he has done 30+ mile days in the past puts him way ahead of most of the hundred perspective thru hikers.

rickb
09-08-2015, 21:29

I was thinking it rather remarkable that two random hikers would be so well matched. Then I googled.

If I got the right Journal, the older hiker was already a triple crown hiker before he started his 106 day trip, and Garlic08 had hiked both the CDT and PCT.

Knowing that sort of puts their 106 day AT hike in different context.

garlic08
09-09-2015, 09:13
I was thinking it rather remarkable that two random hikers would be so well matched. Then I googled.

If I got the right Journal, the older hiker was already a triple crown hiker before he started his 106 day trip, and Garlic08 had hiked both the CDT and PCT.

Knowing that sort of puts their 106 day AT hike in different context.

Yes you got the right journal. Pickle and I certainly weren't random AT hikers! (In the first sentence of my post, I alluded to prior experience.) In fact, we didn't actually start hiking together until we got into Oregon on the PCT. After leap-frogging for 1800 miles on the PCT, it was pretty clear we had a compatible pace. And we're still hiking together.

Spirit Walker said it well in post #28, too.

It's interesting to note that Pickle's second AT hike in 2008 was well over twice the pace of his first hike in 2002, and consistently much more comfortable and enjoyable, he reported. (And he raised over $15,000 for medical research.)

meat803
09-09-2015, 11:28
Actually, most of the people giving the advice have done a thru hike and many have done a relatively fast hikes so they know the drill. Doing a hundred day hike or any thru hike isn't for everyone. Sounds like it wasn't your cup of tea. But your limitations do not limit others. Finally, there are plenty of hikers that are capable but fewer that have the desire. If the OP is willing to put the effort in then there is nothing stopping him. the fact that he has done 30+ mile days in the past puts him way ahead of most of the hundred perspective thru hikers.

What year did you successfully thru hike the AT? It isnt about my limitations, it is about the facts of the situation. Most people that have posted on this thread have not done an AT thru. A single day of 20 or even 30+ isnt a big deal. 20+ a day is easy on the PCT from the thru hikers I have spoken to. When I set out on my thru hike, I had done numerous 25+ mile hikes. I figured that once I got my trail legs I would be averaging 20+ a day easy. I was sorely mistaken. I met less than a handful of hikers that averaged 20+ for the entire thru. Telling some guy fresh off the shelf that he is capable of doing that is foolish, possible even dangerous.

Tell this guy the real facts of the situation so that he doesn't set himself up for failure or worse hurt himself. All the cheerleaders telling this guy he can do something he has less than a 1% chance of, no thanks. I would rather advise him to plan on something reasonably achievable. Just completing the train in any amount of time is a 1 in 5 shot.

So you want to thru hike the AT? Great. Your best options to be successful are to not be constrained by time and have 2X the funds you think you will need. Once time and money are removed, your odds improve greatly.

The things that will knock you off trail are most likely-
-Not being able to mentally endure it
It takes a special person to put up with the miles and conditions day after day, month after month.

-Not being able to physically endure it
There is a different kind of pain and tired that you don't understand until you get 1000 miles deep.

-Injury
Listen to your body. Even when you think you are ready to crank out 20's everyday, ramp up slow and give it time. Your connective tissue has to have time to develop.

-Sickness
Filter your water and religiously check for tick. Also use hand sanitizer.

-Running out of money
By having 2X the funds you think you will need, this can easily be avoided. Don't let money stop you from taking a zero when your body demands it.

-Running out of time
Setting unreal expectation will send you home a failure. There is an unknown element of injury, sickness, and physical capacity.

I saw people finish that never hiked more than a few days in their life before.
I saw people finish that were complete fat slobs at springer, losing 40+ lbs during.
I saw people finish on a 1$ a mile budget.
I saw people finish that had the cheapest walmart gear
I saw people go home that had the best gear.
I saw people go home that were olympic athletes.
I saw people go home that were uber hikers with massive experience.
I saw people go home that were cranking out 20+ miles a day at the start.

What made the majority of hikers successful? The most important trait was to have the mental strength to endure both physically and mentally the challenges of the trail. You won't really know this until you get around halfway. At this point your body will be wore down from never allowing to truly rest and heal. The gravity of 2,200 miles doesn't hit most people until they hit the halfway point. If you make it to that halfway point, odds are, you are going all the way. Keep in mind though, I saw many people go home with less than 500 to Katahdin. Start slow. 10-15 miles a day max. Enjoy yourself and don't be a mile whore. Cranking out too many miles will only physically and mentally hurt your chances. To each there own. We all thru hike for our own reasons. But, if you push it beyond your mental or physical envelope, you will fail.

I want you to be successful. A 100 day hike at your level is reckless and set up to fail with 99% odds. Even a 120 day (18.3 avg) is a setup for failure. Remove the time constraint and let your mind and body set the number of days.

rafe
09-09-2015, 11:54
I'll weigh in with the doomsayers. Possible? Yeah, maybe. Probable? No.

A typical five-month thru-hike is hard enough. Maintaining 20+ miles per day, average, from Springer to Katahdin, requires phenomenal endurance and fortitude.

Forester Gump
01-17-2016, 16:47
HansKris,
The mileage is doable. I retired from my job in Washington, D.C. I definitively needed to detoxify my soul. On my thru-hike in 2014 I started out doing big miles...Maybe it was all the pent up crap. Somewhere in Southern Virginia, Frankie the Sleeper and I made a pact to slow down and enjoy the sights, the quiet, and the people. We generally walked about 15miles per day and had a great time. We made close friends and and had a wonderful time. Detoxifying the soul is a function of experiencing all the AT has to offer...not just the miles. You make very few friends on fast hikes...you are on the trail but not a part of it because you rarely see people more than once (especially since the SOBO group is 1/10 the size of the NOBO).

Free advice is worth what it cost. Bottom line is: hike your own hike. I hope we cross paths. I should be closing in on Katahdin when you are heading south.

Good luck,
Forester Gump

RockDoc
01-17-2016, 23:13
Yes, it's possible but I would suggest slowing down and enjoying life.

Malto
01-18-2016, 07:17

Completely agree, either do it exactly how Rockdoc enjoys it or you won't have fun. (Insert dripping with sarcasm smilie here.)

rickb
01-18-2016, 07:32

Very possible for some (even expected) but impossibe for most.

Sort of like shooting par on a good golf course without cheating.

Plenty of people have done so, but for most that is just not going to happen no matter how athletic they are, how muc they practice, or what kind of clubs they buy.

double d
01-18-2016, 08:54
Hello everyone. I am planning to attempt a thru-hike in 2016 in 100 days which would end on my 50th Birthday November 7th in Georgia. That means I would be leaving Maine on July 31st, a little different than most as it is a very late start. Any words of advice or encouragement would be greatly appreciated. Can this be done, is 50 too old? Has anyone out there done a south bound in 100 days? I used to be a serious hiker and rock scrambler up until my 30's, but then my Corporate life took over and I forgot what made me happy. This coming year I am walking away from all that and walking back into the woods. Doing the AT in 100 days is my pilgrimage and my way to detoxify my soul. I plan on doing a 6 month training program to get back in shape mentally and physically .
No offense HansKris, but why not just get into great shape and then enjoy your hike without employing the same corporate mentality that your tired of now? Let the AT take you on your hike, not the other way around. But again, do what you think is best for you.

swjohnsey
01-18-2016, 11:07
Irish bookies would give 200:1 on this one.

Malto
01-18-2016, 11:20
Irish bookies would give 200:1 on this one.

I should have talked to you before my 100 day PCT hike. Could have made a lot of money at 200:1. In fact the odds probably would have been 500:1 after the high snow level of 2011 became apparent. But somehow I still managed to hit my schedule in spite of it being my first thru. Bottom line, what looks impossible for some is easy for others. What looks miserable for some looks enjoyable to others.

The OP also has another option. Prepare for a hundred day hike and take what comes. Few would consider a 120 day hike any less of an accomplishment than 100 days.

colorado_rob
01-18-2016, 11:45
Saying that this would be improbable is obvious, the finish rate for an AT thru is what, 20% these days? But why discourage giving this a shot? We all have different goals, but I kinda like the 100-day goal thing concept, however unlikely. FWIW, I was in probably the best endurance shape in my life in my 40's up to about 50. Yeah, it's gonestedily south since then.... but oh well. Maybe another reason to do this NOW, rather than wait.

Folks say "slow down and enjoy". again, we're all different. When I'm on the trail, I like to hike. Sitting at camp (except for morning coffee) does nothing for me. Spending time in towns, ditto. I took 3 zeros on the entire trail, two of those forced by meeting someone. I'm happiest hiking. Can't wait to see around the next corner. So therefore, I hike all day, and 20+ mile days for most of the trail is easy. But of course 11 mile days in the whites kicked my butt....

I'd also say that skewing the odds from, say, the irish-bookie 200-1 to, say, 40-1 would be to have a lightweight kit, say, 11-12 pounds baseweight. Once your pack exceeds some threshold, it becomes a burden. Less than 20 pounds total (including food/water) is almost unnoticeable.

I also agree that if I was trying something like this, I would not be much disappointed if it took 110 or 120 days. If evolution had given us all 11 fingers and toes, we'd be on a base-11 system and 121 would be the magic number. Kinda arbitrary arithmetic, really.

rickb
01-18-2016, 13:09
Saying that this would be improbable is obvious, the finish rate for an AT thru is what, 20% these days? But why discourage giving this a shot?

Because the OP stated that were he to conclude that a 100 day hike was improbable, he would move up his start date?

His last activity on Whiteblaze was in August.

Coffee
01-18-2016, 13:15
I think that liking to hike and dislike hours and hours spent in camp awake is a key point. Then the question is whether a hikers physical condition is good enough to actually be able to move for most of his waking hours. If both conditions are met, a high miles per day hike seems feasible. I'm happiest when I'm moving but lots of hikers really enjoy their downtime.

firesign
01-18-2016, 13:23

Hello Friend

You are setting yourself a specific target, thats great and of course it is doable.

Assuming that illness, injury, lack of funds will not be an issue then success or failure (IMO) will be determined by your preparation. If you can build up to significant consecutive days carrying the same weight over the same type of terrain and recondition your mind and body to accept mid 20 mpd then you will increase your chances of success. I would add that a lightweight pack and losing excess body fat will be very advantageous also. This may be stating the obvious but I would assume that there are only a very few people out there who could just turn up at the start line and achieve this objective.

I did 120 days sobo in 2014 and I was 49. In retrospect, I could have done 100 days but I dont think that I would have enjoyed it as much. In preparation for the thru, I completed a 550 mile thru hike in Scotland which I finished two weeks before I headed to Maine. When I finished this training I was pretty confident of success even though the first 2 States were brutal and like nothing else I had ever experienced before. My base weight was about 12lbs and I lost quite a lot of excess body fat before I started as well. Would I change anything about my preparation for my next thru? Probably not such a long distance pre-thru hike but I would definitely ensure that my training/conditioning reflected reality. For me it is about playing the odds in my favour and I achieved this. Other thru hikers may/will disagree with my preparation, but lets be honest, 100 days is a real challenge and it deserves a lot of respect. Good preparation is that respect IMO.

This is just my advice and you have already received much better from the likes of Garlic and other Triple Crowners on this forum. I wish you the very best for your 100 days - go for it!

GolfHiker
01-18-2016, 17:59
Very possible for some (even expected) but impossibe for most.

Sort of like shooting par on a good golf course without cheating.

Plenty of people have done so, but for most that is just not going to happen no matter how athletic they are, how muc they practice, or what kind of clubs they buy.

Oh that hurts.. :(

HansKris
06-29-2016, 22:43
Update on my plans for those who care. Thru hike delayed to 2017 as I realized more conditioning is needed but all is going well. Did a 45 mile section hike in March from Fontana to Newfound Gap, loved every second of it, 2 and 1/2 days. Planning on the 100MW in September. lost 15lbs. this winter and spring and putting more miles on every day. 2017 here I come!!

W1LDJACK
07-13-2016, 20:21
Making the AT a Marathon run with minimalist support ain't something a 50 yr old is inclined to do.

Malto
07-13-2016, 21:47
Making the AT a Marathon run with minimalist support ain't something a 50 yr old is inclined to do.

Really? Maybe not for you but it has appeal to others, even 50 yr olds who act like they're 13.

Maydog
07-14-2016, 01:27
Update on my plans for those who care. Thru hike delayed to 2017 as I realized more conditioning is needed but all is going well. Did a 45 mile section hike in March from Fontana to Newfound Gap, loved every second of it, 2 and 1/2 days. Planning on the 100MW in September. lost 15lbs. this winter and spring and putting more miles on every day. 2017 here I come!!

Congratulations on your achievement thus far. Glad you are enjoying yourself, learning, and getting into shape.

QueenDee
08-01-2016, 20:49

Very inspirational for someone fast approaching 50 with the same goal (but NOBO). I wish you well, please keep us posted. If all has gone as planned you will be hiking your hike as I type. Best wishes to you!!!

SGTJones
08-02-2016, 10:00
Let me chime in as I've found that much of the advice I got online before I hiked was garbage because the people giving that advice hadn't actually thru hiked and was just spouting second and third hand info.

I'm almost 1,000 miles in now, have met every type of hiker. The only people I've met that can consistently do the big mile days are the ultralight people. And they've all been in their 20s.

Not saying you can't, but realistically if you've been in a sedentary office job for 20 years you'd be putting yourself at great risk of injury attempting 100 days thru hike.

So I'd say if you want to try it then really work on getting in shape NOW and keep your full pack weight under 20lbs.

Also big miles everyday with few zeroes takes a mental toll on people. There was a young couple going 25-30/day through VA who threw in the towel at Harper's because they just burned themselves out.

So my question to you: do you want to hike for an ego achievement or hike to enjoy your trip? If you want to be able to brag about doing it in 100 days before you're 50 then do that but that pace will strip a lot of the fun out of it. Sorry to be a Debbie downer in this post but it's very clear to me now having gone almost halfway that the people who want to do big miles for the ego boost ALL burn themselves out.

Some people genuinely enjoy hiking 12 hours a day, everyday, but those people are a very special breed. If you want to hit 100 days you'll most likely have to be going 10-12 hours a day, everyday, with very few Nero's and This means you can't stop. stopand enjoy the views, you won't be time for side trails. You will have o skip towns d hostels. You won't make many strong bonds with other hikers. Unless you've done long distance hiking before and know you can maintain this pace don't try it on your first thru. It's a recipe for injury and burnout.

SGTJones
08-02-2016, 10:02
What year did you successfully thru hike the AT? It isnt about my limitations, it is about the facts of the situation. Most people that have posted on this thread have not done an AT thru. A single day of 20 or even 30+ isnt a big deal. 20+ a day is easy on the PCT from the thru hikers I have spoken to. When I set out on my thru hike, I had done numerous 25+ mile hikes. I figured that once I got my trail legs I would be averaging 20+ a day easy. I was sorely mistaken. I met less than a handful of hikers that averaged 20+ for the entire thru. Telling some guy fresh off the shelf that he is capable of doing that is foolish, possible even dangerous.

Tell this guy the real facts of the situation so that he doesn't set himself up for failure or worse hurt himself. All the cheerleaders telling this guy he can do something he has less than a 1% chance of, no thanks. I would rather advise him to plan on something reasonably achievable. Just completing the train in any amount of time is a 1 in 5 shot.

So you want to thru hike the AT? Great. Your best options to be successful are to not be constrained by time and have 2X the funds you think you will need. Once time and money are removed, your odds improve greatly.

The things that will knock you off trail are most likely-
-Not being able to mentally endure it
It takes a special person to put up with the miles and conditions day after day, month after month.

-Not being able to physically endure it
There is a different kind of pain and tired that you don't understand until you get 1000 miles deep.

-Injury
Listen to your body. Even when you think you are ready to crank out 20's everyday, ramp up slow and give it time. Your connective tissue has to have time to develop.

-Sickness
Filter your water and religiously check for tick. Also use hand sanitizer.

-Running out of money
By having 2X the funds you think you will need, this can easily be avoided. Don't let money stop you from taking a zero when your body demands it.

-Running out of time
Setting unreal expectation will send you home a failure. There is an unknown element of injury, sickness, and physical capacity.

I saw people finish that never hiked more than a few days in their life before.
I saw people finish that were complete fat slobs at springer, losing 40+ lbs during.
I saw people finish on a 1$ a mile budget.
I saw people finish that had the cheapest walmart gear
I saw people go home that had the best gear.
I saw people go home that were olympic athletes.
I saw people go home that were uber hikers with massive experience.
I saw people go home that were cranking out 20+ miles a day at the start.

What made the majority of hikers successful? The most important trait was to have the mental strength to endure both physically and mentally the challenges of the trail. You won't really know this until you get around halfway. At this point your body will be wore down from never allowing to truly rest and heal. The gravity of 2,200 miles doesn't hit most people until they hit the halfway point. If you make it to that halfway point, odds are, you are going all the way. Keep in mind though, I saw many people go home with less than 500 to Katahdin. Start slow. 10-15 miles a day max. Enjoy yourself and don't be a mile whore. Cranking out too many miles will only physically and mentally hurt your chances. To each there own. We all thru hike for our own reasons. But, if you push it beyond your mental or physical envelope, you will fail.

I want you to be successful. A 100 day hike at your level is reckless and set up to fail with 99% odds. Even a 120 day (18.3 avg) is a setup for failure. Remove the time constraint and let your mind and body set the number of days.

I agree 1000%.

Malto
08-02-2016, 13:09
Let me chime in as I've found that much of the advice I got online before I hiked was garbage because the people giving that advice hadn't actually thru hiked and was just spouting second and third hand info.

I'm almost 1,000 miles in now, have met every type of hiker. The only people I've met that can consistently do the big mile days are the ultralight people. And they've all been in their 20s.

Not saying you can't, but realistically if you've been in a sedentary office job for 20 years you'd be putting yourself at great risk of injury attempting 100 days thru hike.

So I'd say if you want to try it then really work on getting in shape NOW and keep your full pack weight under 20lbs.

Also big miles everyday with few zeroes takes a mental toll on people. There was a young couple going 25-30/day through VA who threw in the towel at Harper's because they just burned themselves out.

So my question to you: do you want to hike for an ego achievement or hike to enjoy your trip? If you want to be able to brag about doing it in 100 days before you're 50 then do that but that pace will strip a lot of the fun out of it. Sorry to be a Debbie downer in this post but it's very clear to me now having gone almost halfway that the people who want to do big miles for the ego boost ALL burn themselves out.

Some people genuinely enjoy hiking 12 hours a day, everyday, but those people are a very special breed. If you want to hit 100 days you'll most likely have to be going 10-12 hours a day, everyday, with very few Nero's and This means you can't stop. stopand enjoy the views, you won't be time for side trails. You will have o skip towns d hostels. You won't make many strong bonds with other hikers. Unless you've done long distance hiking before and know you can maintain this pace don't try it on your first thru. It's a recipe for injury and burnout.

Just remember, just because you can't do it or don't/won't enjoy it doesn't mean that others feel the same way. I do agree with you on UL, all the people I know that can do major miles are UL or close. I strongly disagree with your assessment that it is 20 somethings doing it for ego. Also, most of the folks that I know tend to be a bit older than their 20s and far more disciplined.

Finally, as to your comment about non-thruhikers giving second and third hand advice...... Didn't you do the exact same thing. You provided your wisdom yet you have neither completed a thru hike nor have you done a 100 day equivalent so this is just a tad hypocritical.

SGTJones
08-02-2016, 13:47
Just remember, just because you can't do it or don't/won't enjoy it doesn't mean that others feel the same way. I do agree with you on UL, all the people I know that can do major miles are UL or close. I strongly disagree with your assessment that it is 20 somethings doing it for ego. Also, most of the folks that I know tend to be a bit older than their 20s and far more disciplined.

Finally, as to your comment about non-thruhikers giving second and third hand advice...... Didn't you do the exact same thing. You provided your wisdom yet you have neither completed a thru hike nor have you done a 100 day equivalent so this is just a tad hypocritical.

I never said it was impossible or unattainable... simply that based on experience and observation that it's not a good goal for someone new to long distance backpacking. If you care to refute any of the points on risk of injury, burnout, and overall experience please do.

As for me not having finished a thru yet, mile 500-1000 is where people hit their physical and mental limits. That's why the term Virginia blues exist. All the novelty has worn off, you hit physical and mental exhaustion and either settle down into a pace you can sustain or another 1200 miles, or get off the trail. What I've observed is perfectly relevant to the OP. People whose hikes are dictated by arbitrary mileage goals are the ones who are most likely to burn out in Virginia. Because they're not listening to their bodies and often they've set themselves on a timetable that they must meet, which precludes them from taking the rest and slowing down that they need, which then leads to them getting off the trail either due to injury or burnout somewhere in VA. Anyway that comment is mostly aimed at the people who just pull up a calculator and say"well you only need to average 17 miles a day so that's totally doable." Taking no account of terrain, fatigue, weather, or any other number of uncontrollable variables you'll meet on the trail.

I had to meet my GF in Waynesboro so I had to push 360 miles in 17 days. That arbitrary schedule meant I had to walk through a few very dangerous thunderstorms, skip places I wanted to see(like Apple orchards falls) and hike ahead of everyone I knew. Overall an unpleasant 360 miles. Those are some of the realities that the OP should be aware of while making his decision, realities that a simple mileage calculation do not take into account.

RockDoc
08-02-2016, 17:25
A youngster of 50 can still do great things. (I ran four 50 milers that year).

Things get a bit tougher as you approach 60. You have to keep active, but you recover much slower. At least I do... But if you stop being active, forget it.

But I wouldn't hesitate a hike even at 60-65. It's just walking, folks. You don't need to be fast, and you can take lots of rests and days off.

jdavis7590
08-19-2016, 15:54
Best of luck to you! Stay healthy!

lemon b
08-21-2016, 17:01
Thru hiking the AT in 100 days or less at age 50 is a fine accomplishment which has been done by many individuals over the years.

Bansko
11-15-2021, 06:19
Possible? Absolutely. Recommended? No. Take your time and enjoy the hike. I say this as a former speed demon.

Emerson Bigills
11-15-2021, 23:24
Already pointed out, but worth keeping in mind. The miles you do on a good day are probably not the miles you can average. Many people do not get out of town early in the morning and in some cases, getting a ride to the trailhead can be problematic. Thus it is not uncommon to have a fairly modest day coming out of a town if you spend the night. Likewise, most people like to get into town at a fairly early hour to enjoy the fruits of victory, shower and do chores. I have found those two days are rarely high mileage days and can put a lot of pressure on you to do big miles on the complete trail days in between. That scenario caused me problems on a failed long hike.

Coffee
11-17-2021, 20:03
I'm 48. Although I have not thru hiked the AT (yet), it's more likely that I could do it in 100 days at my age than ten or twenty years ago when I was in MUCH worse shape. No reason why 50 has to be some limiting factor. Tom Brady says he could play until he's 50 and I believe him.

gpburdelljr
11-17-2021, 20:15
Does everyone realize they are responding to a question asked in 2015, for a possible 2016 hike?

JNI64
11-18-2021, 01:00
HansKris info says join date 07-24-15 age 55, but wanted to hike at 50? And I wonder if they hiked or still a rat in a box in the corporate world?