PDA

View Full Version : washing a pack

squeezebox
07-27-2015, 12:44
Well my cat decided that my day pack lying in the bottom of my closet looked like a litter box, then decided it should smell like a litter box. Now it needs to be cleaned. Once upon a time I washed my bicycle panniers and washed the coating off, they are no longer waterproof. So what's the right way to wash a pack without destroying the waterproof?
Yes I got rid of the cat.
Thanks!!

Coffee
07-27-2015, 13:07
To wash my ULA circuit, I remove the stay and carbon fiber hoop suspension and then was it in the largest front loading washer available at a laundromat. I then allow it to air dry. Works perfectly.

elray
07-27-2015, 13:29
I've had mine so muddy I've taken it to the car wash, hang it on a mat holder and go to town, doesn't seem to hurt it a bit!

Offshore
07-27-2015, 13:41

Wow, that's harsh. My cat is worth more to me than my collection of daypacks.

Chif
07-27-2015, 13:48
Well my cat decided that my day pack lying in the bottom of my closet looked like a litter box, then decided it should smell like a litter box. Now it needs to be cleaned. Once upon a time I washed my bicycle panniers and washed the coating off, they are no longer waterproof. So what's the right way to wash a pack without destroying the waterproof?
Thanks!!

I would have made the cat and the pack a combo deal. I would definitely get a new pack. That is one of those smells that never goes away. if you have ever spent the night in the basement at Mountain Crossings, you know what I m talking about.

Bronk
07-27-2015, 13:51
+1 on the car wash.

MuddyWaters
07-27-2015, 14:10
Swish it around in warm soapy water in tub
Swish it around in clean water
Maybe add white vinegar
Hang to dry

nsherry61
07-27-2015, 14:32
I wonder if some of those pet odor remover sprays for your carpet, that use active bacterial breakdown, would be helpful if washing doesn't work. The sure seems to help around the house when our animals were young.

The Cleaner
07-27-2015, 14:37
I'm with Chif on this one.+2

Moosling
07-27-2015, 14:56
Baking Soda and Vinegar throw into a front load washing machine.

Walkintom
07-27-2015, 14:57
Cats usually go outside of the litter box because something is wrong. Often they do this when they have a uti or other medical issue cropping up.

Get rid of the daypack and take the cat to the vet.

RangerZ
07-27-2015, 16:12
Maybe add white vinegar
Hang to dry

The cat or the pack?

bshow
07-28-2015, 07:10
I wash my day pack in the bathtub using some dish soap from the kitchen and hang to dry. Works great and takes just a few mins. This is recommended procedure from Osprey. May take a few cycles to get rid of cat smell. Good luck.

Traveler
07-28-2015, 19:39
Maybe add white vinegar
Hang to dry

The pack, or the cat?

Traveler
07-28-2015, 19:40
Sorry Ranger, you got there first!

MuddyWaters
07-28-2015, 20:47
Cats usually go outside of the litter box because something is wrong. Often they do this when they have a uti or other medical issue cropping up.

Get rid of the daypack and take the cat to the vet.

Male cats will also pee on stuff to annoy you. I had a girlfriend in my 20s, her @#&%ing cat would pee on my clothes.

Also clawed holes in her waterbed. Since i was heavier than her, i woke up in a puddle

Alligator
07-29-2015, 00:16
This is probably too late an answer to help you as it is super helpful to get the item cleaned immediately. Go to the big box pet stores and get an enzymatic pet urine cleaner solution. Spray it on heavily, let it work, and then hand wash. It might take several attempts. Cat urine is hard to get out. I wouldn't throw a pack out but any clothes the cat has urinated on where the urine has sat or dried I will just throw out.

Cats urinate on things for a variety of reasons. The pack may have smelled like sweat or dirt. Sweat and urine have some similar compounds in them. I had just worn a brand new pair of running pants for the first time and had taken them off when I got home. It was the only clothing lying on the floor, was there just five minutes or so and the cat came in and urinated on them. Needless to say I was pretty pissed. I washed them immediately and thankfully the smell came out. I may have used Odoban that time but now if I do try cleaning, I use the enzymatic stuff plus some Odoban. I can't stand the Odoban smell though, it lingers, so I usually wash again or at least run an extra rinse cycle in the wash.

squeezebox
07-29-2015, 03:46
Well I soaked it in water in the kitchen sink 3 times, then soaked in soapy water once, then fresh water, then vinegar and water, then more fresh water, then bright sunlight. Took almost all of it out. Smells like a sweaty pack now.

atraildreamer
07-29-2015, 10:10
The cat or the pack?

Don't forget to spin dry! :banana