PDA

View Full Version : I slack packed and it felt so good.

Busky2
07-27-2015, 16:40
Well this year I have been hiking alone and hopping around avoiding the bubbles and crowds going SOBO and NOBO and bouncing all over the place and something happened. I was NOBO heading to the DWG from Rockfish Gap and it was raining cats and dogs at the Lehigh Gap so I was a bit leery of the slippery slope I would be taking, so I shot up the DWG and headed SOBO for a few days. When I got to the Leigh Gap the weather was worse than when I was NOBO so I skipped it for another time, and so it happened. I slack packed for the first time. I went back to cover that section from the Gap to the Blue Mt. Road crossing. I carried a day pack with some water and a snack my camera phone and first aid kit. Dropped off at the bridge south of the gap I started off NOBO and it was an easy climb in good weather, my pack so light I did not even know it was there. As those few miles flew beneath my fleet feet I felt I was cheating somehow. The fact that there was no pain in my knees and feet and while my back did not complain once I should have felt guilty about it but I did not, I felt free, but as it does sometimes guilt has crept in and therefor I must confess, I slack packed and liked it. Well I feel better getting that off my back.

Malto
07-27-2015, 17:27
Just think, you could have this everyday if you get your pack weight down low enough. Hiking doesn't have to be miserable.

Coffee
07-27-2015, 17:38
The only time I have slack packed was from Breckenridge to Copper Mtn on the Colorado Trail and it was great! I see nothing wrong with it although some people say it is cheating.

tdoczi
07-27-2015, 18:30
used to try my darndest to do nothing but slackpack. then realized i was spending a lot of time sitting in cars. found that ultimately i like my trips better if i dont leave the trail during them. i guess ideally id do like a supported hiker does and have people meet me at crossings with all the comforts i could ever want and never have to carry, but that aint happening.

elray
07-27-2015, 19:07
On our thru attempt we slacked from Max Patch into Hot Springs, it was a glorious day, we almost jogged thinking about the restaurants ahead!

George
07-27-2015, 23:30
I have done "naughty" things that felt good also