PDA

View Full Version : Training regimine

Limbohiker
11-23-2005, 19:42
The way things are looking i may be completing a thru hike starting june of 2006 so I started training just incase.

Race pace mile run
15 minutes of lifting
10 minutes of stretching/yoga
20 minutes of core training
5 days a week

any input? what about diet? should i be taking in more calories?
someone suggested that i gain 10-15 pounds before i begin so that i dont thin out to much during the hike (im 5'4" 118)

Chip
11-23-2005, 20:21
Check out some of the threads that all ready exist regarding this subject.
Health, Safety, Hygiene. Thread is "Getting Into Shape" started by Kerosene, 9/05/2002. See reply from Dee, dated 11/29/03 (for example). There are many things you can do. I think some folks go with what works for them. I walk each day, 4 miles, workout with weights and try to get in at least a 7 to 10 mile hike on the weekend. Try to eat the right foods most of the time.
(I am a section hiker so the temptations are out there to get me :eek: ). For me, a good cardio work out is essential daily if I can't do the other things I list.
Good Luck :)
Chip

Peaks
11-24-2005, 09:25
For the total couch potato, Backpacker Magazine developed an 8 week training program. Should be on their website.

Mouse
11-24-2005, 09:41
Find a steep hill nearby and carry your loaded pack up it several times a week. Nothing works the quads like lugging a load uphill. In a pinch stairs work too.

Kerosene
11-24-2005, 09:55
For the total couch potato, Backpacker Magazine developed an 8 week training program. Should be on their website.Here is the link: http://backpacker.genesant.com/asp/backpacker/templates/splash_678/0,6183,678_,00.html

Kerosene
11-24-2005, 09:56
There's a 10-day free trial.

soulrebel
11-24-2005, 10:00
just a suggestion on the running--here's a couple basics

The greatest tool a runner ever had--negative splits. The ability to take time off each progressive lap or mile... 10min-mile 1, 9:45-mile 2, 9:30-mile 3. don't forget cool downs and warmups give it 5mins at least...

another suggestion, 3 runs a week--cross train on the days in between
Do a speed/interval, hill, and a long run once a week.
The most important workout is your long run done at a low intensity aka sub 140 bpm do a couple of 30 sec high turnover intervals to keep up form/stride. Always focus on running with good form--annals on this one have fun...

Use map software for routes or sign up for a 5k/10k race and get some times for your best efforts. (Don't wait--just sign up for one in your neighborhood--it'll be much more fun than you think...)This will give you some benchmark times on which you can plan your training paces..
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/

Trail running is better than asphalt except for your speed workout which should be done using measured distances on a fairly flat surface. Also, try using lateral bounding, lunges, etc taking the focus off just linear movement

to help simulate the rock hops, bounds, and root jumping you'll be doing next year!!!

w/o running everyday focus more on building good muscle endurance/strong connective tissue with weights. Once you get muscle endurance--start trying to pickup heavier and heavier weights starting low and then gradually building the reps until you're ready to do it all over again...and then start running everyday on top of that...

diet is easy but hard to do--Eat your veggies!!! (every meal-salad's for lunch--im trying to get back myself)...

Crazy_Al
11-24-2005, 13:27
What is a dramatic wanker ???
My personal experience is:
I lifted weights and did cardiovascular training in a gym for many months before hiking on the AT. I thought I was very well prepared for hiking (without hiking). Upon my first outing on AT, I was so tired on the 3rd day that I was sick. I recommend HIKING to prepare for hiking, not yoga, not weight lifting, etc. A StairMaster machine is a good substitute for hiking. I would not recommend gaining weight.

The way things are looking i may be completing a thru hike starting june of 2006 so I started training just incase.
Race pace mile run
15 minutes of lifting
5 days a week
someone suggested that i gain 10-15 pounds before i begin so that i dont thin out to much during the hike (im 5'4" 118)

Limbohiker
11-24-2005, 13:28
well whats slacker doing in your profile right next to cancer survivor?

Crazy_Al
11-24-2005, 13:31
Your 60 minute gym work-out will probably poorly prepare you for an approximate 8 hours per day work-out hiking.

Race pace mile run
15 minutes of lifting
5 days a week

Jack Tarlin
11-24-2005, 15:32
I don't know if anyone's mentioned this yet, but as your departure date approaches, you should start wearing your pack every day, even if it's just around town or running errands.

Even if you're in great shape when you leave, thanks to a weight-loss program, workout regimen, etc., putting on a loaded backpack changes everything....your back, knees, feet, and joints need to get used to the added weight and stress; your pulse, respiration, just about EVERYTHING will be affected by the sudden addition of thirty-odd pounds.

If this addition is not that sudden, it'll be easier for you to adjust, so in addition to everything that others have mentioned, I'd get in the habit of walking at least a few miles a day with your loaded pack. Better yet if you can do some woods or hill walking, but even wearing it around town will help your body get ready for what's coming.

And unless you're skinny as a snake, I DON'T advise packing on pounds before departure. A lot of folks think this is smart as it means they'll have "weight to burn" and won't suffer from dramatic weight loss. Wrong. Most folks (men, anyway) will have some rapid weight loss from the outset REAGARDLESS of what they previously weigh; adding ten to fifteen pounds before leaving merely means that you'll be starting out overweight, NOT in the best shape, and will therefore have more adjustment problems in the early days of your hike.

The best thing you can do is get in as good shape as possible before you leave. Better to LOSE a few pounds than gain them; exercise regularly, eat healthy, cut down, if possible, on smoking and drinking. But intentionally getting out of shape before you leave by gaining weight is probably not the best thing to do.