PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on a slightly different 2016 flip flop.

Snowcrash
07-29-2015, 18:58
Im considering a Harpers to Katahdin and then traveling to Springer and heading back north to Harpers again to finish, starting around the May 1st kick off out of HF. Would there be any special concerns about this plan, and does anybody have any idea about travel from Maine all the way back to Georgia? This would let me start and finish the trail fairly close to home.

Treehugger
07-29-2015, 20:41
I am a flipper that started south of HF, got hurt pretty early on, then after a couple weeks off restarted in HF to go north to Katahdin. I am currently off rehabbing my knees and will get back out soon to resume my trek. Many of the group that started from HF this year on May 1st or so are off the trail now. Several were injured in PA. This is the one disadvantage , I think of starting in HF. The rocks of PA for a NOBO from GA, although still tough do not cause them nearly as much trouble as they do for folks that start in HF. Their feet have not had time to toughen up yet. It takes about 500-600 miles to get in hiker can-do-anything mode. Leaving out of Rockfish Gap would give you more time to get trail hardened before the PA rocks and you'd be very strong by the time you get to NY where some tougher stuff starts. Also, the Shenandoahs are a great place to hike, lots of food and fairly easy terrain to start on. Flipping to GA from ME is a smart way to go. But you will be alone more mainly because the NOBOs are long gone and the SOBOs will be further north by the time you get to GA. Otherwise, I don't think it matters much weather or terrain wise.
PS: Lots of info on Flip Flopping at another post in Class of 2015 Flip Floppers Unite. Good luck and if you have any questions let me know.

Snowcrash
07-29-2015, 22:08
I am a flipper that started south of HF, got hurt pretty early on, then after a couple weeks off restarted in HF to go north to Katahdin. I am currently off rehabbing my knees and will get back out soon to resume my trek. Many of the group that started from HF this year on May 1st or so are off the trail now. Several were injured in PA. This is the one disadvantage , I think of starting in HF. The rocks of PA for a NOBO from GA, although still tough do not cause them nearly as much trouble as they do for folks that start in HF. Their feet have not had time to toughen up yet. It takes about 500-600 miles to get in hiker can-do-anything mode. Leaving out of Rockfish Gap would give you more time to get trail hardened before the PA rocks and you'd be very strong by the time you get to NY where some tougher stuff starts. Also, the Shenandoahs are a great place to hike, lots of food and fairly easy terrain to start on. Flipping to GA from ME is a smart way to go. But you will be alone more mainly because the NOBOs are long gone and the SOBOs will be further north by the time you get to GA. Otherwise, I don't think it matters much weather or terrain wise.
PS: Lots of info on Flip Flopping at another post in Class of 2015 Flip Floppers Unite. Good luck and if you have any questions let me know.

My biggest issue with doing a HF-ME then GA-HF is how to get back to Georgia from Maine.... the only way that seems to be reasonable in price and simplicity is Greyhound... Ive ridden Greyhound, I dont even think 1000 miles in the woods can prepare for an east coast tour with them. As far as rocks, ive been on the AT here and there, I know they are rough but im pretty okay with that.

Slo-go'en
07-29-2015, 22:25
Starting south of HF is actually a good idea.

There are plenty of options to get to Springer. Shuttle and bus gets you to Bangor or Portland and from there you have the option of bus, train or plane. Then a shuttle gets you to Springer.

Treehugger
07-29-2015, 22:41
Lots of folks start from HF and do just fine, but the attrition at least for this year is pretty similar to that of the NOBOs. Heck, if I can do PA, anyone can. Just saying that many of FFers that I was with this year said if they had to do it over again they may not start in HF but maybe Rockfish Gap or even DWG. As far as transport back to GA. If there's one thing that you become while hiking the AT, it's gotta be resourceful...oh and tolerant. A bus ride won't faze you. You may even find someone willing to rent a car with you. You won't be alone in your endeavors!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Praha4
07-30-2015, 20:47
My only comment would be regarding the phase II of your flip-flop plan.

Starting May 1st at HF, you would finish at "K" around mid to late July, most likely.

After flipping back to Springer in north GA, you would be starting north again around late July-early August.

I have 2 friends from my home town that hiked the Springer to HF section last year, starting from Springer Aug 15th. (close to your schedule) Finished at HF around end of October.

They loved the hike, said they had many shelters all to themselves, met few hikers on the trail, a few early southbounders in northern VA. No real cold weather til the last couple weeks of October. Hiked the entire section with U/L summer gear/clothing.

I like your plan.

Spirit Walker
07-30-2015, 22:09
My biggest concern would be hiking in the south mid-summer. It will be hot, buggy, humid and overgrown. No other long distance hikers, but probably the usual weekenders and section hikers, scouts etc.