PDA

View Full Version : Neo Air Xlite: Opinions

Heliotrope
07-29-2015, 20:30
Just purchased a neo air Xlite small. I have always used a foam pad torso length. But I am really not that comfortable on the foam pads. Hence the inflatable neo air. Anyone have experience with the neo air? It seems rather bouncy even when I deflated it to about half full. Does it just take a getting used to? Will a regular length solve the problem? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Treehugger
07-29-2015, 20:47
I have a neo air full length. Loads of hikers have that pad. You can adjust the fullness to your personal comfort level and you will figure that out. They are a bit noisy so make sure you have ear plugs, but you get used to that too. The short length can be made more comfy by using a sit pad, if you are carrying one under your legs or use your emptied pack to put you legs on while you sleep. Both work fine.

Dochartaigh
07-29-2015, 21:26
I had a NeoAir Xlite in large and I sold it. Just couldn't get comfortable on it. Even when deflated, when your full weight is on it, it's still very firm (deflating it only softens it up when you move - which you hopefully don't do much while sleeping).

After 8 or 9 other pads (all returned) I ended up with the inexpensive Klymic Static V2 (think I paid $60 shipped). It's a couple ounces more than my large NeoAir (15.12 vs. 17.44), but well worth it. I like the Klymit so much I bought the insulated Static V Lite as well which is 19.87 ounces with a great R-value.

nsherry61
07-29-2015, 22:29
I like my neoair xlite small pad quite a bit. It's my favorite pad. Yes, it takes a little getting used to. Pound for pound, I don't think there is anything else as tough or light, although for a small weight penalty there are tougher and more comfortable pads. There is a drop at the end of the pad where my legs hang off which one can, get used to, deflate a bit to reduce it util is doesn't bother you, or build up under your legs as suggested above.

The Big Agnes Q-core and Q-core SL pads have a quilted pattern instead of a tube like baffle pattern, and they tend to bounce less, and are much thicker, (the SL is only slightly heavier than the xlite).

Also, Sea-to-Summit's new pads are fantastically stable feeling and very comfortable for being as thin as they are. They are also a bit heavier than the xlite. I recommend going and playing at your local outfitter and trying out the pads they have. Or not, and spend your time far more rewardingly by actually going outside and using your neoair xlite until you get used to it.

Have fun.

MuddyWaters
07-29-2015, 22:32
I have reg and short xlite. The short is my goto. The narrow bottom takes getting used to. Heavy people dont do well on it, they cant roll over in place.

Malto
07-29-2015, 22:34
I have both a regular xtherm and a short xlite. I use the xtherm in winter and xlite whenever possible. I love both pads. I believe the key to comfort with the short pad is propping up your feet. A couple rocks, shoes etc will help as will your pack if you aren't UL and use as a pillow. the regular size is incredibly comfortable and I haven't had to tweak the air pressure for comfort. Would reco either pad though if in doubt go with regular vs short, the weight difference isn't much but the comfort can be significant. Also, other may differ but the xlite is not a winter pad, even with foam. If you do winter camping get an xtherm, that pad is an absolute dream any season.

misprof
07-30-2015, 05:54
I have a regular. Actually it is my husbands. I am use to a CCF type and still prefer them but I find it comfortable enough if I sleep on my back but not so much on my side. The only real problem I have had with it is I send to slide off of it.

daddytwosticks
07-30-2015, 07:13
Had and used an Xlite large two years ago. Got rid of it. Was so worried about babying it since it seemed so fragile...like a balloon. Was a pain in the butt to inflate and it was noisy. On the positive side, very comfortable and compact. I use a full length Prolite now. A compromise for me. :)

Coffee
07-30-2015, 07:58
My xlite regular is the most comfortable sleeping pad I have ever used. I also have a prolite regular which is comfortable but not nearly as nice as the Xlite. I fully inflate mine and then let a very small amount of air out when I lie down for the night. As is the case with many other gear choices, personal preference is going to play a major role.

Heliotrope
07-30-2015, 08:16
My xlite regular is the most comfortable sleeping pad I have ever used. I also have a prolite regular which is comfortable but not nearly as nice as the Xlite. I fully inflate mine and then let a very small amount of air out when I lie down for the night. As is the case with many other gear choices, personal preference is going to play a major role.
How is the Xlite nicer than the prolite? I never tried one

Coffee
07-30-2015, 08:21
How is the Xlite nicer than the prolite? I never tried one

The Xlite is much thicker than the prolite and provides more support especially when side sleeping. It is also a few ounces lighter.

colorado_rob
07-30-2015, 08:40
The Xlite is much thicker than the prolite and provides more support especially when side sleeping. It is also a few ounces lighter.Agree; I own both as well and still use my prolite coupled with a 1/4" closed cell foam pad for winter backpack trips; higher R value than the Xlite. AND I keep thinking my Xlite will fail me sometime, but somehow it does not. I don't know how they do it, but as fragile as it seems, the thing (xlite) works and holds up. I have about 60 or so nights on my Xlite, no problems, and yes, very comfy. I had owned the previous version of the Neo-air for a half dozen years or so, finally after over a hundred nights of use the thing developed a slow leak (two years ago), still useable though, couldn't find the leak so I wrote to Cascade Designs (owns the product) and they said send it to them, I did, they mailed back a brand new Xlite.... so I have to say great customer service!

Wülfgang
07-30-2015, 11:15
Slightly off-topic but I really think Exped pads are underrated. The SynMat Hyperlite weights only 14 oz....in a wide!! Same R-value and thickness as the Xlite without the potato-chip bag feel.

Bluegrass
07-30-2015, 12:03
I have both a regular length and a short length. The potato chip bag sound definitely gets better with time. I find them extremely comfortable, and one of my favorite pieces of gear from the last few years.

Heliotrope
07-30-2015, 14:40
Thank you all for the great feed back! I think the short Xlite is out for me. I am 6' and the taper makes the hip area too narrow. An example of how the absolute lightest gear isn't always the best option.

Heliotrope
07-30-2015, 14:48
Slightly off-topic but I really think Exped pads are underrated. The SynMat Hyperlite weights only 14 oz....in a wide!! Same R-value and thickness as the Xlite without the potato-chip bag feel.
Have you tried the synmat? Sure wish I lived near a great outfitter to sample these.!

Wülfgang
07-30-2015, 16:06
^REI carries some models. But being a Swiss company they can be hard to find in stores. I havent tried the Xlite but I think the Synmat lineup is as good or better based on weight and construction.

Mudsock
07-30-2015, 20:21
Both the short and regular versions of the Xlite are the same width - pretty narrow. I prefer the regular length, but don't mind the shorter length in warm weather. My arms won't fit on the pads when I am on my back and if I lay them at my side. That is rather undesirable. I fold my arms across my torso to compensate. I don't sleep like that at home.

Overall, they are good products.

q-tip
07-31-2015, 18:12
I started with a neo air short. I just could not stay asleep with my feet on my backpack. Moved to the regular, length, problem solved. I sleep as well on the neo air as I do in my bed.

Ercoupe
08-01-2015, 07:05
You seem to be going for lowest weight. Best sleep for me is the large neo-air. At a one ounce heavier, second system, is a klymit torso under a z-rest sol. Three breaths and it is ready to go, and I use the z-rest constantly at breaks and in camp. Just picked up a wide WallyWorld blue pad to try with the Klymit torso as the z-rest can be a bit narrow for me. If it works I will try a hot knife to accordian it.

Rex Clifton
08-01-2015, 09:26
The Xlite gips you on the width. A better choice, for a few more ounces, is the Trekker.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

misterfloyd
08-01-2015, 10:37
I have the x lite mummy and I have had no problems to this point with it.

I wanted to shave weight with it, was comfortable and it seems to be holding up well.

I have lost faith with BA pads they work for a while and fail when you need it the most ie, winter.

I store all my pool floats hanging upside down, valve open. Had to get used to the small size but one thing I do like is that it inflates to 2.5'' as opposed to others that are 3, 3.5, or 4. why not just make it 6 and call it a day.

I have tried ccf and my hips will not go for that. As far as the potatoe chip sound, mine does not have it.

I have to sleep well, and it seems to do that.

I do in shelters double layer polycro sheets under neath to protect it.

Floyd

DLP
08-01-2015, 12:52
You seem to be going for lowest weight. Best sleep for me is the large neo-air.I have also chased the lowest weight. I used the neoair 47" for 30-35 nights. I'm a tosser and turner and ended up half on and half off the pad. I literally ended up rolling off my pad and slept in the dirt many nights. :(

The inflated 47" neoar is 17" wide and just didn't work for me. It wasn't the length that got to me. It was the width.

I've used the extra long/wide neoair and it is a better fit. It is about 22" wide inflated. I made up the 8 oz difference by ditching tent poles. I was also a habitual extra water carrier. Cutting back on 8 oz of water can made up the difference.

I don't do sleep deprivation well and have concluded that a good night's sleep trumps the lowest weight gear.

However, a lot of people sleep great on the 17" wide pad. So your mileage may/will vary. And given this is hiking... that is both literally and figuratively true. :)

MuddyWaters
08-01-2015, 17:24
Both the short and regular versions of the Xlite are the same width - pretty narrow.

Not exactly.
The bottom width of the short pads is the same, but on the short pad it occurs at hips, not feet. So the short pad is narrower where your torso lays, than the regular is.

Heliotrope
08-01-2015, 20:57
You seem to be going for lowest weight. Best sleep for me is the large neo-air. At a one ounce heavier, second system, is a klymit torso under a z-rest sol. Three breaths and it is ready to go, and I use the z-rest constantly at breaks and in camp. Just picked up a wide WallyWorld blue pad to try with the Klymit torso as the z-rest can be a bit narrow for me. If it works I will try a hot knife to accordian it.

I do want the lightest weight gear but I know that it has to serve my needs and preferences. Today I found a shop with sea to summit pads and oh man are they nice! The fabric texture and feel as well as the comfort was the best so far. They are just enough wider than the neo air that my arms can stay on! Now the question is will the uninsulated light pad with an R of 0.70 be the best choice or a heavier pad with an R of 3+ For 3 season use?