PDA

View Full Version : Perfect time of year

RWBlue
11-23-2005, 20:28
Since I plan to section hike the trail over several years, I have a question. Assuming I have the opportunity to choose my location and time of year, what is the perfect time of year to hike what location and why?
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
I don’t want to be on the trail singing the line from the Bare Naked ladies song Pinch Me “it is the perfect time of year, somewhere far away from here…..”
<o:p></o:p>

SGT Rock
11-23-2005, 22:19
Dang, what an open ended question. Whenever you have the chance is the when, where ever you can get to it is the where. Just have the right gear, skills, and attitude.

icemanat95
11-23-2005, 22:55
You aren't a truly experienced hiker until you've taken on the tough terrain during the tough weather. I prefer the White Mountains in the Fall and Winter...spring and early summer suck up there. The black flies don't get bearable until the second week in July or so.

I generally prefer hiking in September and October. In the South, I'd probably shift that to October through December, then start back in again in March, then bail in Mid-May, when the heat and humidity begin to get a bit stiff. But hiking the South in the heat and humidity is the tough stuff, so give it a whack. Pennsylvania in July is fun....yeah.

icemanat95
11-23-2005, 22:56
BTW, don't try to take on Northern New England in the winter until you get some real training. Those high peaks kill people every year or so when they bite off more than they can chew and there are LOTS of "close calls" each year. Relatively specialized gear, good land-navigation skills and a good weather-eye are critical.

Tin Man
11-23-2005, 23:19
Sarge speaketh the truth - be prepared and any time of the year is good. Iceman offers good seasonal choices.

When the choice is yours, my opinion, mid-September to mid-October is best. Less heat, cold, bugs and crowds.

Youngblood
11-24-2005, 11:40
The southern Appalachians are pretty sweet in the winter if you avoid major storms. Highs in the forties, lows in the twenties. Lots of leafs on the trails so you have to watch your step in spots (and be lucky) and the nights are looong, but the sky is a magnificent deep blue and you get views that you can't even dream of when the trees are leafed out.

Kerosene
11-24-2005, 13:59
While every season has its merits, I always enjoy my Fall section hikes, especially if I can time it for peak colors and after the bug population is cut back. There are surprisingly few hikers on the AT in the Fall. You have to bring more gear to handle the temperature swings and water sources aren't as plentiful, but there is typically less rain and I love walking on a cool bluebird sky autumn day.

The Solemates
11-25-2005, 00:10
if you can swing it, i would hike when others arent. like during the winter, or during the weekdays. avoid, for instance, going over july 4, labor day, etc. if you dont want crowds. but winter is always fun because no bugs, no hot, no people.

neo
11-25-2005, 00:20
if you can swing it, i would hike when others arent. like during the winter, or during the weekdays. avoid, for instance, going over july 4, labor day, etc. if you dont want crowds. but winter is always fun because no bugs, no hot, no people.

i love cold weather camping too:cool: neo

weary
11-25-2005, 12:35
Maine is best from late August through September, but expect some chilly nights -- even in August. Most years the black flies are gone by early July, but the shelters and campsites tend to fill with camp, church and scout groups until shortly before school opens.

LIhikers
11-25-2005, 16:30
Like some have said, when you have the time is the right time to hike. But if possible I'd avoid the mid-atlantic states in August. The Humidity is high, the temperature is higher, and water is low or nonexistant.

peakbagger
11-26-2005, 11:03
I have been section hiking for about 10 years and have about 4 days left to finish up the trail. I have found that the best hiking has been pretty consistently in the fall starting about a week after labor day. The trail "empties" out, the weather tends to be more consistent, no bugs and the fall colors are great. The down side to fall hikes are shorter days, a bit cooler weather at night and questionable water sources. I did a lot of section hiking in New England in the spring (April early May) and cant recomend it as the weather patterns tend to be less stable (fronts coming through every couple of days) and a lot more bugs.

I met an individual on the trail once that had hiked the entire AT and PCT in one month sections, always in September as he claimed it was the only month of the year to hike. a