PDA

View Full Version : Ticks & Tweezers

g00gle
07-30-2015, 01:54
While trying to minimize my loadout for a NoBo-Thru I was looking at the many uses of my little Swiss buddy that I carry everyday (and which I intend to take north with me) and I began wondering if the tweezers in there (which in 10 years of carrying my SAK I've never actually used for anything) would work for tick removal if necessary.

My only tick experience I took a match to and that was over quickly. But if I need to pull one of the little demons out, will these small tweezers in my SAK work or should I buy a little pair of those specialty tweezers made for ticks?

pauly_j
07-30-2015, 04:16
A tick twister weighs and costs nothing and takes away the risk of leaving any bits in yourself.

MuddyWaters
07-30-2015, 06:38
While trying to minimize my loadout for a NoBo-Thru I was looking at the many uses of my little Swiss buddy that I carry everyday (and which I intend to take north with me) and I began wondering if the tweezers in there (which in 10 years of carrying my SAK I've never actually used for anything) would work for tick removal if necessary.

My only tick experience I took a match to and that was over quickly. But if I need to pull one of the little demons out, will these small tweezers in my SAK work or should I buy a little pair of those specialty tweezers made for ticks?

The tweezers in a SAK are beyond useless for a tick. Give them a try at something. Its just too flexible, no hoding power. They might work for a splinter....might, if its not in too tightly.

Don H
07-30-2015, 07:59
Find a good pair of sharp pointed tweezers.

Tuckahoe
07-30-2015, 08:10
Personally I would get one of these tick keys -- http://www.tickkey.com/

Mouser999
07-30-2015, 09:36
Check out Tickencounter.org sponsored by the University. Of R.I.

peakbagger
07-30-2015, 10:13
I have removed a deer tick with the tweezers on swiss army knife. I also needed to use the magnifying lens on the knife to verify that it was a deer tick. This was years ago and it wasn't imbedded for long. I do want to pick up one of the official tick removers. For wood tick I expect the swiss army tweezers would not be as effective.

One trick I use with fiberglass splinters is a piece of duct tape pressed on the skin. Just put it on, smooth it out and then remove quickly, I am curious if in pinch that method would work with deer tick nymphs?

Rain Man
07-30-2015, 11:35
Saw a tick removal video earlier this summer online and used it about a month ago. Put a small amount of Vaseline or baby oil on a Q-tip. Gently move the Q-tip in circles around the tick until the tick is perpendicular to your skin. Keep going and it will let go.

Worked like a charm. Took a couple dozen revolutions of the Q-tip, slow and gentle. Not sure how long tick was on me (from working in the yard), but probably less than a day, maybe only a few hours.

No need for a special tool and makes multi-functional use of stuff a hiker might have or want anyway.

Sarcasm the elf
07-30-2015, 12:23
A tick twister weighs and costs nothing and takes away the risk of leaving any bits in yourself.

This. Tick twisters are the best product I've found for tick removal by far.

I was never able to reliably remove ticks using the crappy swiss army knife type tweezers.

Also, don't use matches for tick removal, it actually increases the chances of the tick infecting you. Same goes for the vaseline and dish soap home remedies that people on the internet like to share. [Edit: I wrote this before reading the above replies. Please understand that it wasn't directed at anyone.]

Wyoming
07-30-2015, 14:45
This. Tick twisters are the best product I've found for tick removal by far.

I was never able to reliably remove ticks using the crappy swiss army knife type tweezers.

Also, don't use matches for tick removal, it actually increases the chances of the tick infecting you. Same goes for the vaseline and dish soap home remedies that people on the internet like to share. [Edit: I wrote this before reading the above replies. Please understand that it wasn't directed at anyone.]

That vaseline trick sounded interesting. Why does it raise the chance of the tick infecting you. I don't see why.

On ticks I have just always just scraped them off and not worried about it. I try and get them off alive but it is not a big priority I guess. Just get rid of them. I had 10 on me once in SNP. I kind of got into the habit of using deet and OFF.

Pie Guy
07-30-2015, 16:15
+1 on Tick Key

nsherry61
07-30-2015, 16:22
Tick keys are fine and simple for larger ticks. They are completely useless on really small ones.

illabelle
07-30-2015, 16:39
I have removed a deer tick with the tweezers on swiss army knife. I also needed to use the magnifying lens on the knife to verify that it was a deer tick. This was years ago and it wasn't imbedded for long. I do want to pick up one of the official tick removers. For wood tick I expect the swiss army tweezers would not be as effective.

One trick I use with fiberglass splinters is a piece of duct tape pressed on the skin. Just put it on, smooth it out and then remove quickly, I am curious if in pinch that method would work with deer tick nymphs?

Couple years ago we went on a dayhike in Big South Fork (TN/KY park) on a trail where the vegetation had been recently trimmed back. The trail was wide and clear with a little bit of short grass here and there and some leaf litter. Got to the car, sat down and looked at our legs. Yikes! Daughter and I had dozens and dozens of itty bitty ticks crawling up our legs! To try and deal with it right then would have taken a lot of time, and we were 1.5 - 2 hours drive from home. What to do? We drove to other daughter's house, since it was slightly closer, and used duct tape on those suckers. It was gratifying to see several dark specks on the tape when we pulled it off. The tape was helpful, probably removing about 75%. The rest of them we had to go after individually. Few had actually latched on so it wasn't hard, but it took a while because they had scattered. There were just so MANY of them! Husband was with us. Somehow he missed the tick cluster we evidently walked through, barely had any.

Sarcasm the elf
07-30-2015, 18:21
That vaseline trick sounded interesting. Why does it raise the chance of the tick infecting you. I don't see why.

On ticks I have just always just scraped them off and not worried about it. I try and get them off alive but it is not a big priority I guess. Just get rid of them. I had 10 on me once in SNP. I kind of got into the habit of using deet and OFF.

When ticks are forced to back out of a bite, they regurgitate some of their stomach contents into the wound, increasing risk of disease transmission.
Per the CDC website:

Helpful Hint

Avoid folklore remedies such as "painting" the tick with nail polish or petroleum jelly, or using heat to make the tick detach from the skin. Your goal is to remove the tick as quickly as possible--do not wait for it to detach.

http://www.cdc.gov/lyme/removal/

shelb
07-30-2015, 22:50
Both my vet and my doctor told me not to use tweezers....

When I last used tweezers on my dog, it backfired - requiring a vet visit!

However, I am not sure how best to advise you - other than to check every 2-3 days! (If a tick is caught within 2 days, you can certainly remove it by hand)

Another Kevin
07-31-2015, 15:00
Saw a tick removal video earlier this summer online and used it about a month ago. Put a small amount of Vaseline or baby oil on a Q-tip. Gently move the Q-tip in circles around the tick until the tick is perpendicular to your skin. Keep going and it will let go.

Worked like a charm. Took a couple dozen revolutions of the Q-tip, slow and gentle. Not sure how long tick was on me (from working in the yard), but probably less than a day, maybe only a few hours.

No need for a special tool and makes multi-functional use of stuff a hiker might have or want anyway.

Bad idea. The petroleum product makes the tick puke before it lets go. With its proboscis still embedded in you. It makes it let go, but greatly increases the risk of disease transmission.

Traveler
07-31-2015, 16:01
Personally I would get one of these tick keys -- http://www.tickkey.com/

+1 on the Tick Key. Skeptical at first that something this simple could work, but I have removed several ticks over time with this tool and found it very useful and weighs literally nothing.

greentick
08-01-2015, 15:53
http://www.amazon.com/Pro-tick-Remedy-Magnifier-Chain-Tutorial/dp/B00161O2MO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438458447&sr=8-1&keywords=pro+tick+remedy

This works great on ticks large and small. Hit it with your lighter for a few seconds to "sterilize." Very light.

I got an extra for the dogs. My 8y/o is in charge of tick removal on her outside dog. Works like a charm.