PDA

View Full Version : Tarptent Notch Owners

Mfrenchy
07-30-2015, 13:07
Do you configure it different than the standard pitch? I was trying to figure a way to get the walls closer to the ground and just lowering my trekking poles, made the tent not sit right. What has your experiences with it taught you?

Another Kevin
07-30-2015, 13:11
I don't generally try to get much lower a pitch than the standard one. I'm not sure why you want it that low. I think there would be horrible condensation problems if it were buttoned up that tight. What are you trying to accomplish with the low pitch?

Wülfgang
07-30-2015, 13:17
No, I pitch it standard. I think I set my poles to 110 cm.

I've tried the low pitch and it does change the tautness of all walls. I have the partial solid interior so there is really no need to have the walls on the ground. Plus condensation is an issue as it is with single wall tents.

Mfrenchy
07-30-2015, 13:25
I am worried about splash in. I used the moment for my thru a couple years ago and it was unsettling. It looks like there is better clearance with the Notch, but I wanted some owners point of view.

Another Kevin
07-30-2015, 14:59
I am worried about splash in. I used the moment for my thru a couple years ago and it was unsettling. It looks like there is better clearance with the Notch, but I wanted some owners point of view.

Hmm, I've had mine pitched in some pretty heavy rain. There's always some splash under any tarp. I use my pack cover as a "bathtub" to keep gear off wet ground. If I haven't put down the Tyvek footprint, I unfold it part way and use it as a "doormat" in the other vestibule. Like Wülfgang (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php/54580-W%C3%BClfgang), I have the half-solid interior, so splash doesn't get into the inner tent. I understand that even with the bug-net interior, the bathtub floor is pretty effective at stopping splatters.

Franco
07-31-2015, 06:32
The Notch can be pitched a few inches higher or lower than standard but not fully down to the ground unless you do something like this :
doing that, you lose usable length so you may end up having to curl up a bit (side sleeper style)
You can just drop one end and keep the other up as a compromise.
BTW I did that "mod" simply because I can not that I intended to use it in the bush.
franco@tarptent

Mfrenchy
07-31-2015, 19:29
That's pretty cool Franco. Have you experienced any splash under with the notch?

Franco
07-31-2015, 20:26
Hi,
No.
This is how it looks with the poles at 40" , I think that is about the minimum practical height before you need to tuck one of the end triangles away :
40" for the poles gives around 38" for the inner so that is still OK as sit up room for most

Mfrenchy
08-02-2015, 13:45
I'll have to give that a shot, thanks for the info.