PDA

View Full Version : How Walking in Nature Changes the Brain

g00gle
07-31-2015, 07:31
Interesting read...

How Walking in Nature Changes the Brain

A walk in the park may soothe the mind and, in the process, change the workings of our brains in ways that improve our mental health, according to an interesting new study of the physical effects on the brain of visiting nature.

Most of us today...

Full article here: http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/well/2015/07/22/how-nature-changes-the-brain/

hikernutcasey
07-31-2015, 09:13
Interesting read...

How Walking in Nature Changes the Brain

Full article here: http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/well/2015/07/22/how-nature-changes-the-brain/It looks like John Muir had it right when he said "Everyone needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul".

I know for myself that when the stresses of life begin to overwhelm a walk in the woods does me a world of good. There's just something rejuvenating about it. It's like hitting the reset button.

Traveler
07-31-2015, 09:26
This has been of high interest to me since I saw a talk show late one night in some midwestern city cable show when I wasn't able to sleep. Three MDs were on the panel and were talking about aging. The conversation came around to the brain and how people tend to look down all the time to avoid tripping as they age and lose the ability to take in complex environments they are in. Two of the three said regular walking is best. The third MD however said hiking, specifically, was best. His point was in a complex environment like a forest, there were myriad things one had to be aware of, that include surface pitch/slant, elevation gain/loss, surface traction or lack of it, low branches, side of trail branches, wild life that may be near by (snakes, small critters, etc), approaching people with or without pets, and a host of other things.

Apparently to this MD the complex environment the forest has on us increases mental acuity and provides high stimulus for the brain that keeps it active longer than most anything else he had seen. It was an interesting observation, though how strongly it is supported by research is anyones guess. I know for myself, my mental acuity level seems to be commensurate with the amount of time I spend in forests.