PDA

View Full Version : Newfound Gap to Davenport Gap

tnhiker22
07-31-2015, 14:23
I'm doing this hike along the AT on September 5-7 (Labor Day Weekend). I'll be staying at Pecks Corner and Cosby Knob shelters. Anyone ever done this section? Are there water sources at those shelters? How are the shelters? Any tips or comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

Gambit McCrae
07-31-2015, 14:26
My second favorite section to hike so far on the AT. Water sources are good, this section is much easier then the southern half. Get up and hike before day light to catch sunrise at Charlie's Bunion. It was amazing. But go past the sign for Charlie's B. and hike to the top of that little knoll. much better then the bunion itself.

tnhiker22
07-31-2015, 14:36
Good to hear that this section is easier than the southern half. I did the southern half last year on Labor Day weekend and there were some tough stretches. I've hiked to Charlie's Bunion several times, but have never been beyond that. Thanks for the info.

Gambit McCrae
07-31-2015, 14:53
I did clingmans to I40 in 2.5 days could have done in 2

illabelle
07-31-2015, 14:57
I agree this is a nice section. I like the way the trail through the north half of the park is often very narrow so that you feel almost like you're on a little bridge in the clouds. :)
Water is easy to get.
Cosby frequently has bear problems. Maybe by Labor Day, that won't be an issue, but be prepared to alter your plans if the park closes the shelter.

AO2134
07-31-2015, 15:00
If you are interested, I have a website that documents my hikes. I have recently done this section in May 2015. There is a description of the hike and photographs of all major attractions, shelters, signs, etc.

http://georgiahiker.weebly.com/fontana-dam-to-davenport-gap.html

There is water at both shelters.

Remember Pecks Corner is 0.5 miles down a side trail. Bradley's views is one of my favorites in this section. I simply loved it there. I didn't go unfortunately, but there is a side trail to Mount Cammerer to a nice view as well you should consider.

illabelle
07-31-2015, 15:14
... there is a side trail to Mount Cammerer to a nice view as well you should consider.

Absolutely go see Mt Cammerer. The side trail is mostly flat, an easy 0.6 miles, well worth the walk.

Gambit McCrae
07-31-2015, 15:40
http://georgiahiker.weebly.com/fontana-dam-to-davenport-gap.html

nicel done a

slbirdnerd
07-31-2015, 20:43
Definitely check the shelter situation before you go, I recall Cosby Knob was closed some this summer.

TNhiker
08-01-2015, 03:32
i second the motion of going to mount cam...

the history behind the fire lookout is interesting...

as stated above Cosby has a resident bear or two that has been in that area for years......and snagging unattended backpacks........

both shelters have a spring nearby along with a spring in false gap......false gap once had anshelter but was torn down decades ago but the foundation and timbers were still there when I passed through maybe 8 or 9 years ago..

and there was a nice running spring down there.....

rmitchell
08-02-2015, 22:47
Definitely check the shelter situation before you go, I recall Cosby Knob was closed some this summer.
Cosby Knob shelter has recently reopened. The spring there had a pretty good flow yesterday. One of the bear cables was broken and on the ground (it has been reported). I did not see a bear but there was a some fresh scat on the trail.

You may want to get reservations as soon as the 30 window opens. Labor Day weekend is likely to book up.