PDA

View Full Version : Ventilated packs?

BP219
08-01-2015, 15:01
I'm looking for a pack that is well ventilated for those of us who do sweat a lot haha. I was looking into the Osprey Volt, however, some reviews came up with people saying 'This pack is not for those who sweat a lot' as it wasn't ventilated. I started eying the Osprey Atmos as it does say that it is ventilated. Does anyone have any personal reviews for them in this aspect? Or would you recommend another pack ventilated? Thanks!

BP219
08-01-2015, 16:36
I've also been looking into ULA packs, however don't know if they would be right for me since, not counting the pack weight, I'll be carry anywhere from 26 (counting 4 days worth of food + 1 extra and 1 liter bottle of water) to 28 lbs (counting 5 days + 1 extra meal or just an extra 1 liter water bottle). For those who used them before, are they pretty well ventilated?

ChuckT
08-01-2015, 16:42
I am looking at Zpacks Arc Zip and Arc Haul as both of them have a arced mesh panel for a back pad.
I think with a little (a lot?) of discipline on my part the ~30 lbs limit that ULA packs seem to share won't be a deal breaker.

BP219
08-01-2015, 17:01
I am looking at Zpacks Arc Zip and Arc Haul as both of them have a arced mesh panel for a back pad.
I think with a little (a lot?) of discipline on my part the ~30 lbs limit that ULA packs seem to share won't be a deal breaker.

Thanks, I'll look into those!

The ULA Catalyst can haul up to 40 lbs according to their site, however doesn't really say much when it comes to if they're well ventilated or not.

BP219
08-01-2015, 17:06
The Zpacks look pretty nice! They're a bit out of my price range tho, I have about $260 allocated to backpacks and can't really do much more than that.

ChuckT
08-01-2015, 18:39
I picked up a used Osprey something couple of years ago (because it had a mesh panel) perhaps a used one if your budget is limiting?

BP219
08-01-2015, 18:52
The Osprey Atmos AG is within my budget, it's just I'm a bit more hesitant to get it since the pack is around 4 pounds and I've read that the ULA bags are a good bit lighter haha.

Venchka
08-01-2015, 21:12
Have you looked at the Osprey Exos or the Boreas Lost Coast & Buttermilks packs?

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

PAHiker
08-01-2015, 22:52
I am an extreme back sweater. I have an Osprey Atmos 50 that has worked really well, probably the best ventilated pack I have used. In fact, I sold my first one and then turned around and bought another to replace it a year later. I have also used several frameless packs such as the Equinox Pamola and the Mountainsmith Haze 50. Although both of those packs worked well with my gear, I could not live with the unventilated design of the framesheets on them in warm weather. I also tried a Volt 60 but did not keep it long enough to use it in warm weather so can't comment on the sweat issue. The 60 liter volume was too much pack for my gear and the one size fits all waist belt would not cinch around my 31 inch waist well enough to carry the load comfortably. I have used the Atmos 50 for trips up 5 days in length with no problem and feel that the extra pack weight is worth it considering how well the pack carries a load.

BP219
08-01-2015, 22:59
Thanks for the replies! I looked into the Osprey Exos, and it looks amazing! I know you're not supposed to get a pack by just the looks, but that's just a plus for me haha. However, I will still check out the Atmos 65 and 50. But, if the Exos fits, the bell and I'm able to carry all my weight in it, then I'll be fine!

Thanks!

q-tip
08-02-2015, 10:29
GG Crown VC, my go to pack, ventilated back, and I sweat big time. . Two lbs two oz, 60 l, top loader, $200, great pack.....

August W.
08-02-2015, 10:37
The Exos will do fine with the 26 to 28 lbs you mentioned but will be torturous with more than about 35 lbs. I just did a four day trip with about 40 lbs in the Exos and it was a constant struggle to keep the straps adjusted as they were overloaded and would not hold position. I have the Exos 58 and absolutely love the airflow it allows across my back. I hope to see more packs designed with the same type of back as the Exos.

Feral Bill
08-02-2015, 12:06
Commercial external frame packs vent very well, as a rule. Se Ebay for Kelty, Camp Trails, etc.

daddytwosticks
08-02-2015, 12:44
I too am a heavy sweater. Used an ancient (2005) model Atmos 50 for years and was very happy. Bought a newer model Exos 48 last year and love it. Straps and fit is perfrct for me. I've not carried more than about 25 pounds in it. Love being able to grab my water bottles out of the side pockets while hiking. Plenty of room for all my crap without tieing stuff to the outside. Very well designed pack IMHO. :)

v1k1ng1001
08-15-2015, 20:06
I chose a ULA circuit over the Exos. Wanted the ventilation of the Exos really badly but the fit wasn't right whereas the circuit was just right. The mesh back of the circuit is not horrific but it's a lot sweatier. In other news, my little brother chose the exos and is very happy.

I'd suggest ordering the exos and then returning it if you find something about it you don't like.

Also, while in Europe this summer, I saw some Deuter packs with ventilated suspension that looked very similar to the osprey.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk