PDA

View Full Version : why is the camelbak leaking

jefals
08-01-2015, 15:11
3 ltr camelbak, full, in a windrider (frameless) pack. The pack is really loaded down tight, including a hard bear cannister in the middle.everything is squished in pretty good. so the camelbak is getting squeezed good in there. and it's leaking. If I take the pack off and take that camelbak out and just squeeze it really hard with my hands, I don't see a leak. So, can't figure out why it's leaking. Any ideas?
Thanks!

jefals
08-01-2015, 15:50
never mind...valve was open (duh!). I posted this because yesterday, inside REI, I had this same problem with an older camelbak, and they traded it for a new one. And now the new one was also leaking. But -- with the new one, I just discovered it was the valve. The old one probably had a leak -- although, squeezing it by hand, we couldn't see it...anyway, problem solved, for now!

jefals
08-01-2015, 23:23
well, I thought I had solved the problem but apparently not. Had the pack packed all day, sitting on a table outside. Just opened it and it's wet inside. Again, it was tightly packed, but can't figure out why it leaked. It was a hot day, 93, and pack was sitting in the sun, so the water could expand, but this is a brand new camelbak. Has anyone experienced this before?

Busky2
08-02-2015, 01:01
I just went through the same BS and it was a cap seal that had a very tiny flat spot that seeped under pressure. I really had to examine it close to see it, with several quick once overs I missed it entirely.

jefals
08-02-2015, 02:18
I just went through the same BS and it was a cap seal that had a very tiny flat spot that seeped under pressure. I really had to examine it close to see it, with several quick once overs I missed it entirely.
I'll check it. THanks!

egilbe
08-02-2015, 12:48
You can always put the bladder at the top of the pack so its not being squezzed by compressing straps.

BillyGr
08-02-2015, 17:15
well, I thought I had solved the problem but apparently not. Had the pack packed all day, sitting on a table outside. Just opened it and it's wet inside. Again, it was tightly packed, but can't figure out why it leaked. It was a hot day, 93, and pack was sitting in the sun, so the water could expand, but this is a brand new camelbak. Has anyone experienced this before?

Assuming the water wasn't too cold to start? Thinking of how a cold drink "sweats" on a hot day.

rocketsocks
08-02-2015, 17:27
Sounds like you already have it figured out, but it is worth mentioning because a water can't be compressed the forces that can be generated by say dropping your pack on the ground can be upwards of 2,000 lbs (0'coRse the bladder would fail long for that is reached) the point is if you leave a little air pocket in the bladder that may save you some leKagee...dosen't have to be much air, just a little to allow for expansion.

jefals
08-02-2015, 19:24
I think I do have it figured out now. I have a big ole bear cannister inside the pack. The sleeping bag is shoved in, underneath (not in a stuff sack), then the bear cannister on top of that. Then the tent is out of it's stuff sack also, just shoved around the edge of the cannister and the wall of the pack. When shoving it down past the camelbak, I wasn't paying close enough attention, and was inadvertently unscrewing the lid a little. :)