PDA

View Full Version : socks calamity

Crazy_Al
11-24-2005, 13:01
Sock are getting me down. Me socks ride down.
When wearing fresh, clean SmartWool socks, they pull down on my feet.
After hiking for about 3 hours, they quit pulling down inside me boot.
I cannot take it anymore.

What do I do to stop my socks from pulling down ????
How do I stop my socks from pulling down on my feet ???

Mouse
11-24-2005, 14:59
I wonder if it is the boots or fit rather than the socks themselves. I had Smartwool socks most of my hike without that trouble. Come to think of it, when it has happened it was with shoes a bit too large.

Uncle Silly
11-24-2005, 18:00
Dunno... I had a similar problem with a particular polypropelene liner sock from Cabela's. Didn't have the problem with the Patagonia capilene liners. My solution was to deal with it... mostly by pulling up the outer socks whenever I took a break, and wearing my last pair of capilene liners as often as possible.

jackiebolen
11-24-2005, 18:10
Are the socks too big for you? Are the boots too big? Smartwools should be fine for most people.

Youngblood
11-25-2005, 10:19
I don't know what it is. I once had insoles that did something similar when they got wet when it rained... they would just bunch up under my feet. It was the insoles that came with the boots, seems they were some type of open cell foam (versus closed cell or whatever) and absorbed water like a sponge. I had to eventual just take them out on that hike. Didn't have the problem when I replaced the insoles... I always try to remember to look at insoles and make sure they're not some type of open cell foam.

Back to your sock issue, seems like it would be some type of fit and or friction problem. The socks aren't too big are they? Figure they're not. Is there any tackyness on the inside of your boots... insole or inside of heel cup? If there was it might pull the sock down a tad on each step when you point your toes and not release it, causing the bunching you are getting. Maybe a dose of baby powder or talcum powder would reduce that.

CeCe
11-25-2005, 11:57
Liners have helped me--