PDA

View Full Version : Jo Mary Rd

Teacher & Snacktime
08-03-2015, 23:45
Snacktime and I are heading out later this month to meet up with Farmer Chef & Family on their final section. We hope to meet them on Jo Mary Rd. I noticed several intersections of the AT on this road, and the idea of providing a slack-pack day for the intrepid family came to mind.

Can anyone tell me what to expect on Jo Mary Rd in terms of conditions from the first intersection between Church and Cooper Ponds, through to the point below Nahmakanta Lake, then on to a bridge (?) near Bean Brook? My maps tell that it's a hiking distance of about 16mi, and a continuous road of 21mi.

Does anyone have experience on this road?

chiefduffy
08-04-2015, 06:40
I'm in there most days shuttling hikers. You will need to stop at the gate and pay $12 per person and get a permit. Beware of logging trucks, they have the right of way. If you see one, pull over and let them pass(they literally own the road and travel in the middle). The first intersection you speak of (at Cooper Brook) is easy to get to, there is safe parking, and also a campsite right on the road. It is much farther and rougher to get to the south Nahmakanta Lake crossing, but follow signs that say NLC, then take the road to the right after the road with the kiosk, follow it down until you see a lane on your left going down to the lake. There is a nice parking area and cul de sac down there. If you come to a bridge you passed it. The third crossing is Pollywog Stream, it is single lane but well maintained, and the trail crosses a bridge 5 road miles or so from the South Namakanta Lake turn off. There is parking for one or two cars. These roads are drivable at 20-30 mph, but very remote. No cell signal or power anywhere.

chiefduffy
08-04-2015, 06:46
Please call me at the AT Lodge in Millinocket if I can assist in any way.
- Chief

Teacher & Snacktime
08-04-2015, 13:48
Thank you so much, Chief. With a little research like this and some slow driving, we can give the FC family an easy 20 mile day! Snacktime and I might just see you at the Lodge since we've made no plans for our overnights yet! Again, THANKS!

TJ aka Teej
08-04-2015, 18:44
Remember to ask at the gate about road conditions. Washouts, collapsed culverts, and work crews, are common occurrences.
Great tips, chief duffy!

chiefduffy
08-04-2015, 18:45
...welcome!

Teacher & Snacktime
08-05-2015, 13:30
Will do, Teej....thanks again.

chiefduffy
08-07-2015, 07:03
Thanks for the help yesterday, Teacher. Once again the trail (and the angels!) will provide. It was a pleasure meeting you.

- Chief