PDA

View Full Version : Anish attempting the Unsupported AT Record

Pages : [1] 2

fredmugs
08-05-2015, 10:36
Can't believe this hasn't been posted yet. I followed Anish on Facebook as she broke the Unsupported PCT record and she is very mentally tough. She has thru hiked the AT before so she knows what she's getting herself into. If the Unsupported record is still 58+ days I think it's going down.

See the last post in the link below.

http://fastestknowntime.proboards.com/thread/6?page=3

Lone Wolf
08-05-2015, 11:03
NOBO or SOBO?

CalebJ
08-05-2015, 11:16
SOBO I believe. Her facebook post has a picture of the Katahdin sign, although maybe that was posted as her end goal.

jersey joe
08-05-2015, 11:19
Wow, Anish is a serious challenger.
I'd be interesting to see her get the AT record while losing the PCT record to Joey Camps.

Jeff
08-05-2015, 14:07
She will beat Liz (Snorkle) Thomas female self supported AT record for sure...80 days 13 hrs.

Coffee
08-05-2015, 14:10
I've liked her FB page but unfortunately looks like she won't be posting real time status so we can't enjoy following her journey as closely as Jurek's. But I totally understand her reasons for delaying status updates.

Sarcasm the elf
08-05-2015, 14:12
Can't believe this hasn't been posted yet. I followed Anish on Facebook as she broke the Unsupported PCT record and she is very mentally tough. She has thru hiked the AT before so she knows what she's getting herself into. If the Unsupported record is still 58+ days I think it's going down.

See the last post in the link below.

http://fastestknowntime.proboards.com/thread/6?page=3

Thanks for that, some of her recent FB posts were so vague that I didn't realize that she was alluding to a FKT attempt on the A.T.

Malto
08-05-2015, 14:38
She has been planning this for a year. there was some talk of this at ALDHA Wets which was interested since Snorkle was also there.

As for her goal. She will be going for the overall unsupported record. I suspect she would be greatly disappointed with only besting Snorkles woman's record. She has the experience, both on the AT as well as ultras and record hikes. I can only think of a few hikers that I would give better odds than Anish.

John B
08-05-2015, 14:49
She can definitely throw down the miles. She's a vegan, too, right? Good sponsors, good attitude, good person -- I wish her the best.

SteelCut
08-05-2015, 14:52
Thanks for that, some of her recent FB posts were so vague that I didn't realize that she was alluding to a FKT attempt on the A.T.

There is probably a reason for that. I like this quote from her announcement:

Per the main page suggestions I will provide a way for the public to follow along with my progress at facebook.com/AnishHikes. Please understand that the posts made there are in NO WAY an invitation for anyone to attempt to help me, find me, join me, or otherwise take away from the nature of a thru-hiker's journey. They are intended to document only, as suggested by this site. I will carry a SPOT beacon, although for safety, its logs will not be publicly available in real time.

Wyoming
08-05-2015, 16:20
Ahhh! Very cool.

Wyoming
08-05-2015, 16:55
Assuming she started today as her Facebook page would seem to indicate.

The ten day forecast for Monson shows pm showers the 5th day. So she should have clear sailing for the first 5 days or so (pretty nice). Given her typical speed she is likely to be near Caratunk or Stratton by then. For the next 5 days after that the forecast calls for some showers everyday at a max of a 50% probability in the areas as she near the NH border. Very decent weather to start out.

Violent Green
08-05-2015, 17:44
Very cool. Matt's record is strong and I think his planning for stops, resupply, etc was very, very good. I don't know if her planning will be as efficient, but she does have the hiking prowess to make a serious run at it. I wish her a fast, healthy, and happy hike.

It would be interesting to see Matt take a run at her PCT record and they just trade out. lol

Ryan

Odd Man Out
08-05-2015, 20:40
I've liked her FB page but unfortunately looks like she won't be posting real time status so we can't enjoy following her journey as closely as Jurek's. But I totally understand her reasons for delaying status updates.

Just as well. I can't afford to lose another month of my life following every minute!

She can definitely throw down the miles. She's a vegan, too, right? Good sponsors, good attitude, good person -- I wish her the best.

Me too. But we may have to have vegan and carnivore subcategories if this keeps up.

Dogwood
08-05-2015, 20:50
Liz's female unsupported record is in serious jeopardy. No doubt in my mind, Snorkel could absolutely shorten her 8o day record. I seriously doubt Liz pushed herself to her physical ad mental max with that 80 day record.

Dogwood
08-05-2015, 21:05

Smart move! After the real time(or close to it) Jurek FKT I can better appreciate more so than ever how well JPD and her advisors and team organized her FKT. And now Anish has taken the hint. Smart move on her part. I don't think the real time festival like atmosphere would best suit her anyway. I like it when these ladies quietly just go out and do it getting it done aptly demonstrating how unisex these "events" are.

[QUOTE=Odd Man Out;1994016...we may have to have vegan and carnivore subcategories if this keeps up.[/QUOTE]

SHHH! Don't give Bakwin any more ideas. There's enough of this already.

Jake2c
08-05-2015, 21:50
Wow, I figured this may very well become a fad but I didn't expect it to start up this quick. I suppose we just can't help ourselves.

Odd Man Out
08-06-2015, 00:23
Smart move! After the real time(or close to it) Jurek FKT I can better appreciate more so than ever how well JPD and her advisors and team organized her FKT. And now Anish has taken the hint. Smart move on her part. I don't think the real time festival like atmosphere would best suit her anyway. I like it when these ladies quietly just go out and do it getting it done aptly demonstrating how unisex these "events" are.

It seems especially wise for a self-supported hike. If crowds came out to help Scott, there was no risk of breaking the "rules". But for a self-supported hike, staying stealthy not only helps with security and peace of mind, it helps prevent rule controversies.

Driver8
08-06-2015, 01:25

I was able to find a FB page which appears to be her personal page. Does she have a public or fan page?

Just Bill
08-06-2015, 09:33
It seems especially wise for a self-supported hike. If crowds came out to help Scott, there was no risk of breaking the "rules". But for a self-supported hike, staying stealthy not only helps with security and peace of mind, it helps prevent rule controversies.

Correct.
To borrow from Mags' "Champaign Gate", some may recall the much less volatile "Pizza Gate". Anish suffered some blow back on her PCT hike because of her open, intense, personal, and inspirational Facebook posts that led to supporters coming out specifically to give her Trail Magic. In particular a fan coming to the trail with pizza intended for her. While no serious lines were crossed it's a small controversy easily avoided.

Unsupported hikes do typically allow the normal trail magic any hiker might encounter, but for the few bonus calories don't cover the calories spent defending oneself after the fact. I think eventually you'll see hikers simply forgo any assistance in an effort to retain the purity of the hike. Anish takes a step towards that in her slight modifications and wording of her announcement-

"As always, I will respect the wilderness landscape, the lives that dwell therein, other trail users, and the generations of users that will follow by practicing Leave No Trace Ethics.
Per the main page suggestions I will provide a way for the public to follow along with my progress at facebook.com/AnishHikes. Please understand that the posts made there are in NO WAY an invitation for anyone to attempt to help me, find me, join me, or otherwise take away from the nature of a thru-hiker's journey. They are intended to document only, as suggested by this site. I will carry a SPOT beacon, although for safety, its logs will not be publicly available in real time."

Live tracking isn't totally new, but not required. It certainly promotes a more "race" mentality that doesn't quite jive with the backpacking side of FKTs. I think you will see the self-supported and unsupported style of hikes drift back to more traditional backpacking trips more often than not. Where brief updates and the eventual sharing of info are the only news. Jen's trip was a much more typical FKT on the big trails than Scott's, she blurred the line and redefined supported trips. Matt Kirk posted delayed updates via a short videos. The purpose is to document, not provide spectacle. To share a deeply personal experience with others. The eventual story of the journey is much more rewarding than the brief blip of media buzz, and I think Jen, Matt, Williamson, Anish, Pepper, or any other "backpacker" would tell you that it is the deep personal connection to the trail that is the primary factor in the success of their attempts.

The burden of updating and documenting takes away from that experience and jeopardizes the attempt itself. Per the FKT traditions however, a failure to announce your attempt makes it a "stealth" attempt... while not the end of the world it's considered "poor sportsmanship" and makes your claim a bit harder to prove. So the line of publicity and privacy is hard to dance. I for one though deeply appreciate those with the courage to share these journeys. Not everyone does so. Scott Williamson in particular has told very little of his story and remains very private on his very impressive efforts.

A long hike rips away our layers of disconnection. As the hours pass and the miles peel away we go deeper and deeper to the center of ourselves. We break down until there is little left but a path through to the center. Some find this by sitting quietly by stream or mountain view. Some only find the quiet in the pounding of their heart and the rushing of the wind. The clock there simply to help keep pace with the true goal. Either way, at some point the noise stops, we fade away and we enter the trail completely. Finding that our very tiny center is simply the beginning of everything that matters.

That's a backpacker's FKT to me. The trail isn't the backdrop for human achievement.
It's a story of the human who willingly becomes the backdrop for the achievement of nature.

So best of luck to Anish- push hard until you become the ghost and melt into the trail.
Walk in peace.

jersey joe
08-06-2015, 10:06
This is a very good observation. We saw this with Joey Camps at the end of his hike last year where he accepted support which he says disqualified his self-supported hike.
I really liked how Matt Kirk did his hike. The updates were only a day or two behind and he posted short videos. Those videos were a fun way to follow the hike.

Coffee
08-06-2015, 10:19
One aspect of self supported attempts that I didn't realize until recently is the need to avoid any transportation other than by foot - meaning no hitching at all. That's impressive and maybe one aspect of these attempts that mere mortals might wish to emulate. I've never thought of hitching rides as tarnishing a thru hike in any way as long as I returned to the exact spot where I hitched from and kept a continuous line of footprints on the trail. However, maybe we would benefit from thinking about this a little differently. The idea of never stepping into a motor vehicle for several months is inspiring and attractive in many ways, even outside of a FKT attempt.

Sarcasm the elf
08-06-2015, 11:42
I was able to find a FB page which appears to be her personal page. Does she have a public or fan page?

I follow her fan page called "Anish Hikes" on facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/AnishHikes

Coffee
08-06-2015, 12:03
Ted talk is well worth viewing: http://youtu.be/pgDeh2XDNY4

After listening to the talk, I'm pretty sure that her approach of not sensationalizing the attempt is what will work for her goals.

Malto
08-06-2015, 12:29
Wow, I figured this may very well become a fad but I didn't expect it to start up this quick. I suppose we just can't help ourselves.

Her run was planned well before Scott announced his plan, so no fad starting with Scott.

Driver8
08-06-2015, 12:54
I follow her fan page called "Anish Hikes" on facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/AnishHikes

Thanks much, Elf.

Spirit Walker
08-06-2015, 13:28
I have known a few hikers who set 'no rides' as a ground rule for their hikes. It makes life more difficult, especially out west where it may be 35 miles to town, but it is doable. On the AT you only have a few 8-9 mile treks for resupply, not far if you're a runner but more than most thruhikers are willing to go on foot off trail. Most AT hikers won't walk an extra 3 miles to resupply.

Odd Man Out
08-06-2015, 15:39
Of course when you are covering 40 miles or more per day it's a bit easier to plan your resupply especially at convenient spots. When you struggle to do 15 you have fewer options. So the no car thru would be even more of an obstacle for me. But if it appeals to you go for it.

Coffee
08-06-2015, 18:51
It is kind of appealing but I probably wouldn't do it on the PCT next year since I'm hoping to do a faster hike and it really is a long distance to some trail towns. But not using a vehicle for the entire trip is really cool I think..

Malto
08-06-2015, 22:48
It is kind of appealing but I probably wouldn't do it on the PCT next year since I'm hoping to do a faster hike and it really is a long distance to some trail towns. But not using a vehicle for the entire trip is really cool I think..

It really isn't that hard on the PCT. Skip Big Bear or walk in and then walk into Sierra City. The rest are manageable.

Malto
08-06-2015, 22:51
It really isn't that hard on the PCT. Skip Big Bear or walk in and then walk into Sierra City. The rest are manageable.

Oops the biggest issue is Stehekin. Can't miss the cinnamon rolls or the town for that matter. favorite trail town.

gcobb1990
08-07-2015, 00:57
Matt's never gonna catch a break :) I really hope she pulls it off. Kind of a weird timeline leaving this late but I'm sure she's thought it through.

Violent Green
08-07-2015, 08:51
"Unsupported hikes do typically allow the normal trail magic any hiker might encounter, but for the few bonus calories don't cover the calories spent defending oneself after the fact."

I guess in this case it depends on what Matt did? I'm not sure whether he accepted any trail magic or not, but I can see how it could be helpful given the level of magic the AT sees.

Ryan

Just Bill
08-07-2015, 11:45
"Unsupported hikes do typically allow the normal trail magic any hiker might encounter, but for the few bonus calories don't cover the calories spent defending oneself after the fact."

I guess in this case it depends on what Matt did? I'm not sure whether he accepted any trail magic or not, but I can see how it could be helpful given the level of magic the AT sees.

Ryan

In this case (AT unsupported), Matt did accept some trail magic. Scott Williamson, the original source for the guidelines, set that standard. Matt and Anish both follow it. You can get details on Matt's hike in his book.

For both Anish and Joey, and all hikers as the trails become more popular and trail magic/hiker feeds become more prevalent this guideline may need some revision.

In Anish's case on the PCT; her popularity on Facebook led to well meaning, but misinformed fans, simply wishing to help her out.
In Joey's case, his parents acted in a similar manner on his AT trip.
Since we have trouble with supported, unsupported, and self-supported; perfectly understandable that friends, family, fans do too.

Second time around, both were more clear in stating that such help was not welcome. Mainly because it toes the line of "pre-arranged" support. As I say, mainly harmless and simple goodwill that would be completely normal behavior for any hiker or trail angel to behave in. But because the trail magic has an intended target it can easily be argued a form of support.

My view is a bit extreme but resolves any ambiguity; simply refuse any trail magic that arrives in the form of food or drinks (supplies).
Tell your friends, family, and fans (as Anish just did) to stay away.

Basically, even if that coke or pizza slice was in truth "pure" trail magic... are those few hundred calories in a 300,000+ calorie trip even worth your time as a participant to debate. Why even set aside the brain cells or distraction when overall the benefit is so minor. To me it's the logical response that mirrors the "no-hitching" guidelines. It erases any complication or doubt and eliminates distraction.

The reason there is no hitching is simply to level the field and encourage everyone to make an attempt as "even" as possible. One could easily argue a female hiker may have an unfair advantage in hitching over a male... but thankfully since everyone adheres to the no-hitching rule: we don't have to have a potentially volatile discussion and can focus on the hike itself. No hiker has to defend a string of lucky hitches or suffer low morale when hitches take excessively long. To a large extent, simply knowing you don't have the option also makes the hike easier since you know what to expect. I simply see trail magic following this logic at some point as well.

Just Bill
08-07-2015, 12:07
Matt's never gonna catch a break :) I really hope she pulls it off. Kind of a weird timeline leaving this late but I'm sure she's thought it through.

LOL- I believe there was a hopeful and qualified contender out there once already... Matt's still listed in bold on Peter's site.
I would give Matt at best a 50/50 chance at beating himself, Anish is on that level of ability as well. Joey looked devastatingly promising twice now...

As fer the timing:
So if the SOBO is the easier direction... due to the most difficult area being agreed upon as roughly Maine to Maine Junction.
And if the very best possible time to be in this area is late summer/early fall.
And if the second big challenge is the heat on the rest of the trail..

Why doesn't every SOBO attempt begin in August?
You do the worst section in the best possible time of year to do it. (August)
You do the hottest section in the best balance of cooler temps, water availability, and available daylight. (September)
You also mainly have the trail to yourself.

There is a mild daylight argument to be made... and your skill/ability/preference in this regard is a potential factor.
I believe Anish is pretty comfy in the dark. Really though... you need to have the basic lighting even on June 21st, so really you're talking little difference in equipment weight overall even for a gram slasher like yerself.

In Matt's case...
His schedule as a school teach dictated his hiking season.
Matt admittedly doesn't like night hiking much, being a WNC guy didn't mind the heat much down south.
North vs South... partially schedule, but he simply stated that as his odds of success were in question-
He really wanted to see the north section of the trail that is far from his home and difficult for him to visit.

When I first heard him make that statement... I thought it a bit coy. Now having read his book I take it as what it was: an honest statement.
It was a "smell the roses" choice really... and as someone who could probably be quite content double yo-yoing Baxter to Maine Junction in lieu of a thru I get that 100%.

My birthday is July 25th. While I give myself roughly 1/1000 odds of success, if I ever gave a speedy hike a real go, it would start that day.

So that said Mr Cobb...
What the hell were you thinking starting so early! :D

gcobb1990
08-07-2015, 23:44
Very detailed response, Bill. From what I've read about Anish she does seem to favor the night hiking. I don't mind it much, did it over half the days I was out there on my attempt.

But hiking in the dark on the AT for me is often pretty slow moving. I've done some night hiking out west and can easily run on those trails in the dark, sometimes even just by moonlight-but for me personally, night hiking on the AT was so slow I figured leaving in June was a great time to start (hadn't heard of anyone starting this late for a record attempt, unsupported or supported)-would've started in Georgia though if I had the chance to do it over (trails in Maine hadn't been cleared yet). And also I had to get back to school which starts on Monday, yikes!

As for the reason for no hitch-hiking, I think that in addition to being about fairness between people competing for the unsupported record, it's important for differentiating between unsupported and supported. The line between the two becomes extremely ambiguous when you allow hitch hiking.

royalusa
08-08-2015, 07:55
Many years ago, someone mentioned that a "speedy" AT yo-yo'er might have been supplementing their diet by buying food from other hikers while on trail. I'm guessing that that type of behavior would not be acceptable under today's definition of an unsupported hike. Pretty ingenious concept, though. I wonder how much one would be willing to pay for a Snickers bar that another hiker carried since the last resupply! ;)

Wyoming
08-08-2015, 10:48
Many years ago, someone mentioned that a "speedy" AT yo-yo'er might have been supplementing their diet by buying food from other hikers while on trail. I'm guessing that that type of behavior would not be acceptable under today's definition of an unsupported hike. Pretty ingenious concept, though. I wonder how much one would be willing to pay for a Snickers bar that another hiker carried since the last resupply! ;)

Hah! I would have to think you were dying before I would sell you some of my food mid-hike. I'm pretty protective of my food lol.

Snowleopard
08-08-2015, 14:18
I just read a bit of both Anish's and Snorkel's websites/facebook; pretty interesting stuff. Anish has lots of great photos, so she is also a good photographer.

Just Bill, your book Lying on the Trail has a very positive review by Snorkel. http://www.eathomas.com/2015/06/08/lyingonthetrail/

squeezebox
08-08-2015, 20:34
I'm not clear about the difference between unsupported and self supported.

Sarcasm the elf
08-08-2015, 20:55
I'm not clear about the difference between unsupported and self supported.

Unsupported is a term used for hikes where people bring everything they need with them and don't go off trail or off track to gather additional supplies. Shorter trails have been completed by people in a true unsupported fashion, but it isn't realistic for 2000+ mile long trails.

Self-Supported is the term for a hike where you resupply on your own, don't accept help (with some exceptions as noted) and don't have a support team.

Many people use the terms unsupported and self supported interchangeably when it comes to A.T. records since it's not possible to complete the trail as an actual unsupported hike.

rocketsocks
08-08-2015, 21:05
Supported hike

"You didn't build them trails" :D

Just Bill
08-10-2015, 09:34
I just read a bit of both Anish's and Snorkel's websites/facebook; pretty interesting stuff. Anish has lots of great photos, so she is also a good photographer.

Just Bill, your book Lying on the Trail has a very positive review by Snorkel. http://www.eathomas.com/2015/06/08/lyingonthetrail/

Yar, these reviews are getting progressively more expensive- good to see someone is reading them!

Another Kevin, who normally has impeccable integrity, was bought rather cheaply with a spoon-
http://dftscript.blogspot.com/2015_02_01_archive.html

Trailgroove only cost a few Esbit tabs to publish a story-
http://www.trailgroove.com/issue20.html?autoflip=95

The Trail Show cost a case a beer, a kayak guide, and catapult rental-
http://thetrailshow.com/show-34-the-chin-chinny-chint/
(Last I heard D-Low may actually finish it before completing "Wild".)

Then things got tricky… As "commercial" ventures of any kind are now strictly prohibited in regards to FKT's…
I cannot say what it cost to get Snorkel- women's self supported FKT holder on the AT-
http://www.eathomas.com/2015/06/08/lyingonthetrail/

AND to snag Matthew D. Kirk- overall self supported FKT holder on the AT-
http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R263N1GSYT3WA1/ref=cm_cr_pr_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=150319387X

Anywho, after laying out all the cash to buy off these reviewers I really appreciate someone noticing!
Now I am a liar and it's possible these folks actually liked the book… but that seems highly unlikely.

I'm a bit torn. Not sure if I want to root too hard for Anish, because that review is really going to cost me. :eek:

Sarcasm the elf
08-10-2015, 10:25
and catapult rental-

I demand that you elaborate on this. :D

Just Bill
08-10-2015, 12:26
I demand that you elaborate on this. :D

Actually, Mag's handled the last leg of the journey into Casa Magnanti, deliveries into the TTS compound are tightly controlled. He had me get the box to the kayak guide, from there he said "fuggetaboutit".

But since he's back east visiting "The Family" maybe I can sneak this in before he gets back. Rumor is some associates of his have started building these on the borders of Colorado as part of the "import/export" business.

http://abcnews.go.com/beta/US/drug-smugglers-catapult-launch-marijuana-arizona-mexico-border/story?id=12776586

Mags
08-11-2015, 13:22
Actually, Mag's handled the last leg of the journey into Casa Magnanti, deliveries into the TTS compound are tightly controlled. He had me get the box to the kayak guide, from there he said "fuggetaboutit".

But since he's back east visiting "The Family" maybe I can sneak this in before he gets back. Rumor is some associates of his have started building these on the borders of Colorado as part of the "import/export" business.

Those rumors are false...would we be the kind of people to have a "family" business!?!?!?!?

Um..never mind...

Back to our regularly scheduled program....

Sly
08-11-2015, 13:58
Anish will be hiking in an all day soaker today.

Wyoming
08-16-2015, 16:52
Not sure where she is but this is from her blog from yesterday. Sounds like the Whites are in the past and the big miles are coming.

"The hardest terrain is behind me and with it the roller coaster of emotions that accompanied being pushed so hard. Nearly two weeks of relentless 18 hour or more days of bashing my feet and body against seemingly endless rocks,mud and roots have taken their toll.
I've lost a lot of weight already. My feet are held together with leuko tape. I crossed exposed mountain tops in lightning and hail with rain falling so thick I could only see a few feet. I pissed blood for 24 hours. I missed the Kennebeck ferry. Yet another river, swollen from an all day rain, denied me passage until the next morning. I fell down at slabs and lost the trail in the rock jumbled mahoosucs.
I've cried thinking this is over to many times to count but always comes the magic of life of here to reassure me that all is not lost. I repeat the wise words of Jennifer Pharr Davis to myself everyday, "Just do your best every day. You can't do anything more."
Today I finally broke through the walls of rocks into the verdant green forest and followed a ribbon of soft dirt trail. I hammered out 33 miles in 12 hours instead of 16. I am eating tons of food. And for the first time in this journey I feel a true glimmer of hope that I may be able to complete the task before me."

Violent Green
08-17-2015, 21:59
Does anyone know anything of her pace, etc? Not much information coming from her Facebook.

Ryan

Jeff
08-18-2015, 06:33
She reportedly passed thru Manchester Vermont 8/16

Just Bill
08-18-2015, 08:37
Does anyone know anything of her pace, etc? Not much information coming from her Facebook.

Ryan

Not too hard to figure she started earlier than she posted, nor too hard to guess roughly where she's at.
However she is intentionally keeping her location and progress private.

While it's a fun game to follow along and speculate on her progress; this trip is a mainly a private one between her and the trail.
Unless she posts something publicly best to respect her wishes on the matter.:)

Wyoming
08-18-2015, 14:28
Not too hard to figure she started earlier than she posted, nor too hard to guess roughly where she's at.
However she is intentionally keeping her location and progress private.

While it's a fun game to follow along and speculate on her progress; this trip is a mainly a private one between her and the trail.

You seem to be implying that the posts you quoted are in some violation of her wishes. I think that is clearly wrong and to suggest it is inappropriate.

There is nothing wrong in any way with folks following and being interested in her FKT attempt. Nor is it inappropriate for folks to post general times and locations of where she has been. Such is part and parcel of attempting an FKT and having credibility about how it is conducted. As she said in her announcement of this attempt:

"Please understand that the posts made there are in NO WAY an invitation for anyone to attempt to help me, find me, join me, or otherwise take away from the nature of a thru-hiker's journey. They are intended to document only, as suggested by this site. I will carry a SPOT beacon, although for safety, its logs will not be publicly available in real time."

It would be pretty hard for anyone here to violate those wishes with the kind of posts that exist above.

Lone Wolf
08-18-2015, 14:41
she never should've announced or told anyone about her attempt if she didn't wanna be followed but it's obvious she does

Sarcasm the elf
08-18-2015, 14:47
she never should've announced or told anyone about her attempt if she didn't wanna be followed (sic)

As I understand it, she more or less agrees with you in principal. The problem is that in order for the eventual record to be generally accepted, she needs to make a reasonable effort to be transparent about her progress.

matthew.d.kirk
08-18-2015, 15:09
I wish Anish safe and happy trails.

A delay of a few days worked pretty well for me (up until Damascus:))... But then again, I didn't have quite the fan base.

From what I gather from the limited information out there, she's either matched, or slightly exceeded my pace through Vermont. She doesn't make it sound too easy. Who would want to do this sorta thing?!

Wyoming
08-18-2015, 15:49
I wish Anish safe and happy trails.

A delay of a few days worked pretty well for me (up until Damascus:))... But then again, I didn't have quite the fan base.

From what I gather from the limited information out there, she's either matched, or slightly exceeded my pace through Vermont. She doesn't make it sound too easy. Who would want to do this sorta thing?!

I have heard the answer is Crazy People! What do you think? :)

Just Bill
08-18-2015, 15:53
You seem to be implying that the posts you quoted are in some violation of her wishes.

"Please understand that the posts made there are in NO WAY an invitation for anyone to attempt to find me, "

Yar, that's what I'm implying. Guess now that's what I'm stating.
Though the smiley face was meant to do so gently.

Not trying to call Ryan or Jeff out in the process though... simple question, innocent response with no real harm done.

Pappy is just causing trouble, but Elf is quite right. Anish is just following the rules, somewhat reluctantly it appears if I assess it correctly. I read her announcement as no different from filling out a permit application. Simply meeting some basic requirements before embarking on a trip. A bit of paperwork to grudgingly fill out before she could start and little more.

We had an unpleasant discussion on this topic a year or so ago.
Course being in the first 1/3 of the trip, seems par for the course to hash it out again as there is little else to discuss as Anish is a qualified hiker we can't fill time with how unqualified she is..

Some of us just spent the summer crying about FKT's drawing innapropriate attention to the trail; seems a shame to draw attention to someone trying hard to do just the opposite.

It was always obvious the much admired Colin Fletcher enjoyed sharing his journeys and publishing a book after the fact. In fact he often went on his trips with that eventual goal in mind. As have many of the great adventurers we admire from before the rise of social media and internet updates. Adventurers have always shared the tale when they return in some fashion. The desire to take a trip and eventually share it publicly does not invalidate the desire or even the deep need to complete the trip privately. Perhaps if you ignore the three silly letters, it's easier to appreciate the trip as an adventure, for that is what it is.

A fellow hiker asked to be left alone in her efforts.
Nothing wrong with talking about it, just avoid dates, times, specifics.
Free country I suppose... you do what you like.
I prefer to honor the wishes of a person I respect very highly.

Hell, even if I thought Anish was a piece of ****, I'd at least be a gentleman* about it.

:):sun:D:banana
Disclaimer- this post is not directed at nor intended to imply dissatisfaction with any poster in particular. The intent is to share the opinion of its author in a general sense on the topic of discussion. Any other posters cited or involved were only mentioned in the context of this broader discussion. No feelings were harmed in the making of this post, any personal feelings involved in the reading of this post are co-incidental.

*Just Bill is not a gentleman.

Wyoming
08-18-2015, 16:17
Well like I said. I think you are completely wrong and wrong for trying to pressure others to do as you wish. Smiley face or not you are attempting to control. It is not appreciated.

BirdBrain
08-18-2015, 16:22
I appreciate her writing style. I would read a book by her. She captures the experience nicely.

Lone Wolf
08-18-2015, 16:25
Yar, that's what I'm implying. Guess now that's what I'm stating.
Though the smiley face was meant to do so gently.

Not trying to call Ryan or Jeff out in the process though... simple question, innocent response with no real harm done.

Pappy is just causing trouble, but Elf is quite right. Anish is just following the rules, somewhat reluctantly it appears if I assess it correctly. I read her announcement as no different from filling out a permit application. Simply meeting some basic requirements before embarking on a trip. A bit of paperwork to grudgingly fill out before she could start and little more.

We had an unpleasant discussion on this topic a year or so ago.
Course being in the first 1/3 of the trip, seems par for the course to hash it out again as there is little else to discuss as Anish is a qualified hiker we can't fill time with how unqualified she is..

Some of us just spent the summer crying about FKT's drawing innapropriate attention to the trail; seems a shame to draw attention to someone trying hard to do just the opposite.

It was always obvious the much admired Colin Fletcher enjoyed sharing his journeys and publishing a book after the fact. In fact he often went on his trips with that eventual goal in mind. As have many of the great adventurers we admire from before the rise of social media and internet updates. Adventurers have always shared the tale when they return in some fashion. The desire to take a trip and eventually share it publicly does not invalidate the desire or even the deep need to complete the trip privately. Perhaps if you ignore the three silly letters, it's easier to appreciate the trip as an adventure, for that is what it is.

A fellow hiker asked to be left alone in her efforts.
Free country I suppose... you do what you like.
I prefer to honor the wishes of a person I respect very highly.

Hell, even if I thought Anish was a piece of ****, I'd at least be a gentleman* about it.

:):sun:D:banana
Disclaimer- this post is not directed at nor intended to imply dissatisfaction with any poster in particular. The intent is to share the opinion of its author in a general sense on the topic of discussion. Any other posters cited or involved were only mentioned in the context of this broader discussion. No feelings were harmed in the making of this post, any personal feelings involved in the reading of this post are co-incidental.

*Just Bill is not a gentleman.

you're wrong. i'm not trying to cause trouble. all the secretive crap is just that. if she didn't want to be followed she shouldn't have announced it

Just Bill
08-18-2015, 16:55
Well like I said. I think you are completely wrong and wrong for trying to pressure others to do as you wish. Smiley face or not you are attempting to control. It is not appreciated.

What's so "completely wrong" about respecting someone's wishes?
Or asking others to do the same?

Just Bill
08-18-2015, 16:58
you're wrong. i'm not trying to cause trouble. all the secretive crap is just that. if she didn't want to be followed she shouldn't have announced it
... and then it'd be a stealth attempt.
Which would likely be pointed out.

Either way... trouble. :datz

Lone Wolf
08-18-2015, 17:13
... and then it'd be a stealth attempt.
Which would likely be pointed out.

Either way... trouble. :datz

bull. only a few have to know. not the whole interweb. she wants the attention. they all do

Sarcasm the elf
08-18-2015, 17:44

dmax
08-18-2015, 18:39
I must have missed it somewhere. If someone could please post on here where she said she didn't want anyone discussing her hike on AT forums.

Sarcasm the elf
08-18-2015, 19:08
I must have missed it somewhere. If someone could please post on here where she said she didn't want anyone discussing her hike on AT forums.

Here are her exact words (I added the bold for emphasis):

I will update here as I go whenever seems appropriate so that you can follow along online, but please, respect my privacy as I push hard to expand my limits.

I do not post here to create hype, but to fulfill one of the requirements specified on the fastest known times website (public progress access). So please, do your part to respect the nature of a self-supported journey by not trying to engage with me along the trail. Trust me, your prayers, positive energy, and cheers from home can indeed be felt by a woman walking her own path many miles away.

I don't think she asked us not to discuss her hike, but she made it clear that she will not be posting real time locations and asked that we respect her privacy and not engage with her along the trail.

Posted on her FB page: https://m.facebook.com/AnishHikes

Wyoming
08-18-2015, 19:33
What's so "completely wrong" about respecting someone's wishes?
Or asking others to do the same?

Because your big ego is letting you put words and wishes into her mouth. You have no right to do that.

We have all read her post and it just does not say what you are trying to claim. It only talked about not coming out to the trail and bothering her.

So leave off the projecting you onto to her.

Wyoming
08-18-2015, 19:38
By that logic, would you consider it wrong for a female solo hiker to ask other hikers to not publically reveal their location or take photos of them without their consent and post them online? Because that is effectively what she asked and I think that is a fair request for anyone to make.

Bill is wrong for what he is doing.

No one here has violated any aspect of what she requested. I doubt any here would violate anyone's expressed wishes. If you see someone doing that to anyone then complain as then you have a right to do it, but trying to always control everyone while claiming falsely that one 'knows' any more about what was requested than we do is just ugly manipulation. I will not cooperate in such behavior.

Sarcasm the elf
08-18-2015, 19:42
Know what, I'm just stepping out of this discussion. Since I can't delete posts entirely, here's a cat photo in it's place.

rickb
08-18-2015, 19:54

No one here has violated any aspect of what she requested.

Right or wrong, I think Bill's approach is the best one. I just don't see any value in posting a stranger's location -- even in a general sense-- on line. And even less so when that stranger is a woman.

She has Facebook and can do that herself if she wants.

Just Bill
08-18-2015, 20:17

No one here has violated any aspect of what she requested. I doubt any here would violate anyone's expressed wishes. If you see someone doing that to anyone then complain as then you have a right to do it, but trying to always control everyone while claiming falsely that one 'knows' any more about what was requested than we do is just ugly manipulation. I will not cooperate in such behavior.

Perhaps it's your small ego that has resulted in this discussion?

Someone posted a location and a date.
Your friendly neighborhood egomaniac chimed in and posted a gentle reminder of a fellow hiker's desire for privacy.
No harm, no foul. Bean can back on the shelf before any beans had a chance to spill.

Some dude took offense where none was given.
Some wordy guy put up too many words.
Said dude is even more offended for even less reasons.

Ryan didn't mean nothing by asking.
Jeff didn't mean nothing by telling.
Bill didn't mean nothing by reminding.

Don't know the other dude's name.

End of story.

Tundra
08-18-2015, 21:01
I support what Just Bill is saying. He can be a bit verbose but he is respectful and trying to do right. Anish is obviously not Jurek and only posting for the transparency of the attempt. Regardless, she is unsupported and asking to remain that way in every aspect. I think she'll beat Matt Kirk's record and possibly even Jurek's. I now it sounds crazy but she is a beast.

Lone Wolf
08-18-2015, 21:05
such a non issue. all she gotta do is say no to trail magicians and angels along the way

Malto
08-18-2015, 22:32
Her position is very understandable given the controversy over pizzagate. I see nothing wrong with the discussion though posting dates and times will inevitably lead to meetings on the trail. But I also believe Lone Wolf is right, she wants the attention even if it occurs after the hike. Her PCT hike meant a lot to her, understandably so. She seems to have something to prove to herself on this hike and I really hope she accomplishes what she's hoping to achieve. She is certainly one of the most driven people that I have ever met.

Wyoming
08-19-2015, 14:30
I support what Just Bill is saying. He can be a bit verbose but he is respectful and trying to do right. Anish is obviously not Jurek and only posting for the transparency of the attempt. Regardless, she is unsupported and asking to remain that way in every aspect. I think she'll beat Matt Kirk's record and possibly even Jurek's. I now it sounds crazy but she is a beast.

Bill is just trying to create controversy and then act like he is coming in to do the right thing and save the situation. Controlling and manipulative. Low class.

No one here in any post even came close to violating Anish's requests. That is what one should focus on.

Wyoming
08-19-2015, 14:34
Back to the topic.

A bit from her Facebook page about how she approaches the days hiking. I find it pretty interesting and wonder what mental approach folks like Matt take towards the daily grind.

"What I am loving about this journey is that I am hiking song bird to screech owl every day because it feels good. It feels right. I don't write down how far I walk and it doesn't really matter much. The miles will come with she's hours on my feet. There is no stress abt distance covered or not, only the joy of feeling my own body push through the terrain."

CalebJ
08-19-2015, 14:39
Bill is just trying to create controversy and then act like he is coming in to do the right thing and save the situation. Controlling and manipulative. Low class.

No one here in any post even came close to violating Anish's requests. That is what one should focus on.
What? He's doing nothing of the sort, and you're just here flaming him. Let it go. You disagree, we've all accepted that. Just move on.

Wyoming
08-19-2015, 15:05
What? He's doing nothing of the sort, and you're just here flaming him. Let it go. You disagree, we've all accepted that. Just move on.

Have you even read the posts?

I repeat: No one here in any post even came close to violating Anish's requests.

So you explain his posts any other way than I did. I stand by what I said. I'll move on when I stop seeing posts that ignore the facts.

The Solemates
08-19-2015, 18:03
where's the charts and excel files tracking her progress?

Violent Green
08-19-2015, 21:17
Geez people. You ask what someone's pace is and it has to be a thing. Matt Kirk, the only one with anything to lose in this thread, provided enough information to answer the question without also giving Anish's exact GPS coordinates. Thank you for that.

Bill - You don't moderate this forum. I wouldn't waste your time trying to police other's posts. Yar.

Ryan

Lone Wolf
08-19-2015, 21:22
i'll let y'all know when she comes through damascus :)

rickb
08-19-2015, 21:36
Bill makes sense.

One poster shared what town she passed through the day prior.

That's not right.

No one's ****ing business to post where a stranger is out on the trail-- especially a woman in near real time.

MuddyWaters
08-19-2015, 21:48
Fkt's are only peer judged bragging rights

Sorry to say, once you initiate something like that, there is little anonymity

While publishing someones whereabouts is wrong under normal circumstances, its virtually guaranteed to happen with a high profile undertaking. Anyone expecting otherwise is foolish. I wouldnt do it, but i would expect it to happen. Too many people on the trail for it not to appear in blogs, trail journals, facebook, and even whiteblaze.

tdoczi
08-19-2015, 21:52
Bill makes sense.

One poster shared what town she passed through the day prior.

That's not right.

No one's ****ing business to post where a stranger is out on the trail-- especially a woman in near real time.

the especially a woman angle to this really bugs me. if some guy with ill intentions wants to harm a solo female hiker he doesnt need information from the itnernet, he needs only go stand by the trail and wait a few hours, at most, until one happens along.

or do we really think this particular female hiker may have a stalker? thats fantasy land stuff. and even if true, a person that un balanced might just try and comb the whole trail looking for her, no? wouldnt be especially hard. if i wanted to find her and could dedicate myself fully to the quest i need only pick a spot, lets say in CT somewhere, and strart walking norht til i find her

MuddyWaters
08-19-2015, 21:55
the especially a woman angle to this really bugs me. if some guy with ill intentions wants to harm a solo female hiker he doesnt need information from the itnernet, he needs only go stand by the trail and wait a few hours, at most, until one happens along.

or do we really think this particular female hiker may have a stalker? thats fantasy land stuff. and even if true, a person that un balanced might just try and comb the whole trail looking for her, no? wouldnt be especially hard. if i wanted to find her and could dedicate myself fully to the quest i need only pick a spot, lets say in CT somewhere, and strart walking norht til i find her

No need to walk. Just to wait.

Lone Wolf
08-19-2015, 22:02
the AT is safer than detroit at midnight. everyone
on this site says so.

Odd Man Out
08-19-2015, 22:57
where's the charts and excel files tracking her progress?

Here you go:

MuddyWaters
08-19-2015, 23:02
on this site says so.

For sure when someone is 6 ' , 180 lbs, male, and resembles and smells like a destitute homeless person.

rocketsocks
08-19-2015, 23:02
44 days 14 hrs 16min

work backwards

Ladytrekker
08-19-2015, 23:21
So. Not into records for hiking yawn really hiking is personal

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rickb
08-20-2015, 03:25
on this site says so.

That assumption may be why some think they have the right to post the whereabouts of a stranger in near real time on the Internet, even though that stranger has elected not to do so herself.

As an aside, the 8-page article in the September issues of Outside Magazine recounting the murder of 2 southboundears in 1990 makes mention of their how their killer was caught thanks to the freelance efforts of your friends, Lone Wolf. Though your friends names were not mentioned and they are largely unknown, they were true heroes. I will send try you some screen shots of the article by PM.

Just Bill
08-20-2015, 08:45
I find it pretty interesting and wonder what mental approach folks like Matt take towards the daily grind.

You can satisfy your curiosity direct from the source-
http://matthewkirk.blogspot.com/2015/07/fast-light-free.html

Just Bill
08-20-2015, 08:46
For those who were not around or with failing memory, we had this discussion once or twice already:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/97163-Privacy-on-a-Speed-hike

Specifically the conversation started because people were intentionally posting real time updates of a hiker who intentionally delayed their location. Even when a personal friend of that hiker logged in to ask that it stop.

From that thread, posted by SLY:

It's a trail community!

What's was stopping Matt or Jen or anyone that wants their privacy on hike from SAYING so? How difficult would it be to add a simple disclosure to their blog. "In order not to be overwhelmed with well wishers during my record attempt, I'm going to delay my blog entries. Please respect my wishes and if you happen to see me on the trail, don't give the time or my whereabouts, thank you and god bless"

Pasted from <http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/97163-Privacy-on-a-Speed-hike/page6>

Prophetic.

Even if she didn't happen to read this thread she has almost word for word posted that message as suggested. But even in doing so folks here still want to debate that statement and it's intent?

That said, I agree with LW to an extent.
The only way to do it properly is to do a stealth hike. Ignore the FKT site and let the chips fall where they may.

The Solemates
08-20-2015, 14:41
Here you go:

seems she is on record pace!

The Solemates
08-20-2015, 14:41
For sure when someone is 6 ' , 180 lbs, male, and resembles and smells like a destitute homeless person.

lone wolf aint been 180 in decades :)

BirdBrain
08-20-2015, 15:15
lone wolf aint been 180 in decades :)

Kilograms?

Sly
08-25-2015, 13:54
Since she's posting every now and then anyway, Anish would do better by her fans by posting her splits, albeit a day or two late.

So much for Baxter's plea of keeping the park free from commercialism.

Chair-man
08-26-2015, 01:02
Just saw where Anish posted this on her facebook page....Katahdin to New York in 3 weeks!!!
(https://www.facebook.com/AnishHikes?_rdr=p)
So, does that put her ahead of Matt's record or behind?

Just Bill
08-26-2015, 08:42
Per ATdist.com- Big K to Conn/NY line is 733.6.
733.6/21 days= 34.93 MPD

After 21 days on the trail Matt was at about 700 miles, his overall average was about 37.4 MPD.
Matt took an "extra" day in the whites to preserve his health which appears to have paid off.

Call the trail 2190 this year and her goal 58 days even and she needs a linear pace of 37.76MPD.

Rough numbers reported- I'd call her even with Matt.

Just Bill
08-26-2015, 08:46
Although that's 21 calendar days to be clear.
Which is 20 days of record...with the whole day zero deal.
To be fair to Matt, Calendar day 22, trip day 21... he was 735 miles in.

So by that count Anish would be a mile behind.

Either way... close enough to call it close enough.

JEBjr
08-31-2015, 14:33
Her latest facebook post:

1,000 miles deep into this endeavor and no one asks if I am a day hiker anymore.
I've taken on the look of someone who has been through something. The slightly desperate look in eyes that are hungry for miles as well as meals. My chest has flattened, my hipbelt sags uselessly. Every ounce of baby fat has melted off of my legs revealing muscles of steel, etched by miles, mountains, and propulsion. My dress is tattered. I'm filthy and I stink. My stride is all business, covering uneven terrain without difficulty.
No, no one can think that I am anything but what I am: A100% pure*‪#‎Southbounder‬.
‪#‎MEGA15‬*‪#‎TruetotheThru

Feral Bill
08-31-2015, 14:51

1,000 miles deep into this endeavor and no one asks if I am a day hiker anymore.
I've taken on the look of someone who has been through something. The slightly desperate look in eyes that are hungry for miles as well as meals. My chest has flattened, my hipbelt sags uselessly. Every ounce of baby fat has melted off of my legs revealing muscles of steel, etched by miles, mountains, and propulsion. My dress is tattered. I'm filthy and I stink. My stride is all business, covering uneven terrain without difficulty.
No, no one can think that I am anything but what I am: A100% pure*‪#‎Southbounder‬.

Well, the lady can write.

Pedaling Fool
08-31-2015, 14:55

I want to make a comment about something she said, but I'd probably just get in trouble. You know, guys just being dogs and all...:D

jersey joe
09-04-2015, 11:16
Although that's 21 calendar days to be clear.
Which is 20 days of record...with the whole day zero deal.
To be fair to Matt, Calendar day 22, trip day 21... he was 735 miles in.

So by that count Anish would be a mile behind.

Either way... close enough to call it close enough.
Thanks for this Just Bill.
I see Anish's posts on facebook and always wonder how many miles she's done in how many days. She seems very vague about this. I came here looking to see if she was close to the record, and you've provided the answer.

Her hike is quite different from Scott's constant updates or even Matt's daily(even if a day or two behind) updates.
No fun for anyone trying to follow the record attempt.

jersey joe
09-04-2015, 11:18
Here you go:

Hahahaha. Awesome!

JEBjr
09-04-2015, 13:38
Yesterday, she posted a pic at the Mason Dixon sign in PennMar Park. She is probably past or near Harpers Ferry by now.

JEBjr
09-05-2015, 10:26
Anish's latest facebook post:

Anish Hikes

Drank water from a puddle last night.
‪#‎ToThirstytoCare‬*‪#‎MEGA15‬

Scrum
09-06-2015, 20:11
Anish's latest facebook post:

"Drank water from a puddle last night."‬

This woman is awesome!

Driver8
09-06-2015, 20:41
If she's into northern VA by now, she looks to be on pace for something in the 60 day range, maybe a bit better. Awesome stuff.

gregpphoto
09-06-2015, 20:52
Good on her! I find her style to be more in line with my own than say Scott Jurek's, though no doubt his physical achievement is still crazy cool.

Linesman
09-06-2015, 23:12
She's probably going to make the fkt dood, she ain't messing around. Hard to tell but I guess she's neck on neck with MK, and given all the 40s on the pct... I considered that trail harder than the southern Appalachians. Ergo she could crush act 2. The west is her stomping grounds but hiking is life to her and she is proving her meddle.

But anyone else notice the lack of rain this summer? I wonder if she's regularly drying out.

TJ aka Teej
09-06-2015, 23:40
But anyone else notice the lack of rain this summer?

The dry weather helped in NH as the 48 4000 Footer Direttissima was just completed in a record time of 8 days 8 hours and 37 minutes.

BirdBrain
09-07-2015, 09:38
The dry weather helped in NH as the 48 4000 Footer Direttissima was just completed in a record time of 8 days 8 hours and 37 minutes.

I think 3 days, 14 hours, 59 minutes is the record for the 48 4000 footers of NH.

http://www.vnews.com/news/townbytown/lyme/13367772-95/fastest-for-48

Perhaps you meant to type 3 days, 8 hours, and 37 minutes? I am not familiar with the attempt you mention.

Driver8
09-07-2015, 12:02
I think 3 days, 14 hours, 59 minutes is the record for the 48 4000 footers of NH.

http://www.vnews.com/news/townbytown/lyme/13367772-95/fastest-for-48

Perhaps you meant to type 3 days, 8 hours, and 37 minutes? I am not familiar with the attempt you mention.

The new record is for an unsupported diretissima.

fredmugs
09-10-2015, 07:14
She's probably going to make the fkt dood, she ain't messing around. Hard to tell but I guess she's neck on neck with MK, and given all the 40s on the pct... I considered that trail harder than the southern Appalachians. Ergo she could crush act 2. The west is her stomping grounds but hiking is life to her and she is proving her meddle.

But anyone else notice the lack of rain this summer? I wonder if she's regularly drying out.

She has thru hiked the AT before so she knows what lies ahead. I haven't tried to track her pace but if she's on or near it the record is going down.

rafe
09-10-2015, 09:06
The new record is for an unsupported diretissima.

That sounds more like a medical condition. Please consult a physician.

JEBjr
09-11-2015, 22:22
Anish Hikes

I've reached the Sisyphean state, where my life merely 2 months ago is like a vivid dream now only vaguely remembered.
My reality now is nothing but the walking, endless walking. 17, 18 hours a day. Every day is the same. Waking, walking, and when my legs turn to jello, blessed sleeping.*
The only interruption to this cycle is the hourly beep on my watch reminding me to take in a small snack, just enough glycogen to carry me another hour.
It is the time of the almost end, where even though the miles remaining dwindle steadily in chunks of 45 the glimmer of light at the end of this long, green tunnel never seems to grow any brighter.
‪#‎MEGA15‬*‪#‎VirginiaBlues

Malto
09-12-2015, 08:15
Anish Hikes

I've reached the Sisyphean state, where my life merely 2 months ago is like a vivid dream now only vaguely remembered.
My reality now is nothing but the walking, endless walking. 17, 18 hours a day. Every day is the same. Waking, walking, and when my legs turn to jello, blessed sleeping.*
The only interruption to this cycle is the hourly beep on my watch reminding me to take in a small snack, just enough glycogen to carry me another hour.
It is the time of the almost end, where even though the miles remaining dwindle steadily in chunks of 45 the glimmer of light at the end of this long, green tunnel never seems to grow any brighter.
‪#‎MEGA15‬*‪#‎VirginiaBlues

It definitely seems like she has hit her stride. I sense a bit of confidence in the last few posts, more like some of her later PCT entries. If she is starting to throw down consistent 40+ miles days then the record(s) should be hers.

Just Bill
09-13-2015, 12:46
It definitely seems like she has hit her stride. I sense a bit of confidence in the last few posts, more like some of her later PCT entries. If she is starting to throw down consistent 40+ miles days then the record(s) should be hers.

She appears to be having a splendid time regardless of how it turns out.

Since it also seems that this hike is, well, like a hike in the middle of the woods without constant real time updates and other non-sense...
How about an interesting question to discuss instead?

If by chance Miss Anderson happens to succeed... Will she be the first person to hold an FKT on both the AT and the PCT? Or even any combination of LD trails?
So... Horton comes to mind perhaps, as a possibility, but not positive on the timing (as in he held them both at the same time).

Certainly if successful she'd be the first to hold both unsupported honors regardless.

Anywho- continued best of luck to Anishinaabe.

Linesman
09-13-2015, 17:23
I'd call it the Grand Slam of long distance hiking

gcobb1990
09-15-2015, 17:06
I wrote a little article about Anish for Appalachian Trials. It'd be awesome to see both AT records fall in one year! http://appalachiantrials.com/heather-anish-anderson-appalachian-trail-unsupported-record/

Dogwood
09-15-2015, 17:37
Easy to get enamored with Heather Anderson "Anish" only in terms of records or record seeking but she's so much more substantial than those things... just as are Elizabeth Thomas "Snorkel" and Jennifer Pharr Davis. These are all high level ladies! Heather has the heart of a lioness knowing how to overcome that thorn once in her paw. She's a focused determined Lone She Wolf. There's more going on with Heather than records. Listen to her TED talk. She gave the audience a lot more to know about herself than records. Liked this talk, inspired me. There's the heart of a LD hiker. Listen keenly! Learn! I almost cried. Thanks Heather. Luved it!

http://youtu.be/pgDeh2XDNY4

Scrum
09-15-2015, 19:42
Last week I spoke with a friend whose daughter is doing a MEGA. He said that his daughter had recently met an amazing woman who was hiking the trail really fast. Apparently inspired by the fast hike, my friend's daughter now hikes in a dress.

Anish is even impacting trail fashion!

Dogwood
09-15-2015, 20:29
Heather is tough. She's certainly mentally strong exhibiting great fortitude and positive attitude and a willingness to determine her path. Shows in her Facebook comments too. She has come to terms with herself. She's come so far. GREAT story. Lots to say positive about Heather well beyond records. I could quote the entire last 6 mins of her TED talk. Here's one of many I'll share I liked: "...this time I intended to hike the PCT faster than anyone else had before. This was not to lessen my time in the wilderness but to intensify it and face my fears." That's brutal honesty. The type of honesty where you bare yourself openly to reach the summit laying it on the line. She's come so far well beyond just in regards to hiking or hiking to gain records. Much more to that woman that defines her than records! Hopefully, we can see that and possibly be enamored by that too!

I like that Heather shares that she didn't know everything yet she still went forward on her hikes. She says repeated " I didn't know...I didn't know..." She certainly does embrace the unknown and face her fears overcoming them.....well beyond records.

These types of people demonstrate a whole lot more than records. Again, GREAT STORY. Great Talk.

Dogwood
09-15-2015, 20:56
Loved this too. "One of the greatest lessons I learned out there was acceptance; because the kaleidoscope of human emotions doesn't cease just because you're in the woods. I had to learn to accept(deal with) fear, pain, and loneliness, and happiness, and joy, and bugs , and cold, beauty, and heat , and frustration, and anything else that came my way. And, it was in the process of acceptance that the negatives lost their power over me, and the positives became my motivators."

POWERFUL. That's grabbing the bull by the horns. That's letting go of the bullshart and excuses. That's stepping up into your life.

"This is what I want to share with you. That, the success here is about the lessons learned along the journey."...I had achieved my goal of hiking the trail faster than anyone else ever had. But the real success were those lessons...the acceptance, the mindfulness, the learning to be present in the moment. And, I can guarantee you that it is not easy nor painless to take control of your own destiny. But, having the courage to write your own fairytale each and every day is what defines success to me. And that is what I find makes life worth living."

Loved it! Touched my soul.

Kenai
09-16-2015, 00:39
First of all @ gcobb1990. Your unsupported thru hike record was an absolutely AWESOME feat on it's on merits alone. Secondly, your well written article about Anish's record attempt is a great read.

Kenai
09-16-2015, 00:44
@ Dogwood. Great TEDx talk from Heather Anderson, aka, Anish. Truly inspiring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgDeh2XDNY4&feature=youtu.be

Amazing what a li'll walk in the woods can do for you.

matthew.d.kirk
09-16-2015, 11:52
Wait, she got by Damascus without Lone Wolf ousting her? She's good. She's real good. :)

Dogwood
09-16-2015, 12:24
In that pic in front of the ATC in that dress Anish looks like like a stay at home homemaker mother of four on her way to picking up little Johnny from soccer practice. The Altras, tight calves, beaming contented smile knowing she's exactly doing what she's called to do, and lean face give her away though.

Linesman
09-16-2015, 13:34
Nothing about a woman in a dress makes me immediately think soccer mom but that's ok dogwood, you be you, that's what the Internet is for

Pedaling Fool
09-16-2015, 14:08

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgDeh2XDNY4&feature=youtu.be

Amazing what a li'll walk in the woods can do for you.The problem with that video...It was too short:mad:

That poor girl, all she likes is hiking, that's not a condemnation of hiking, rather of when people have a singular urge in life, such an urge that that's all you want to do -- that goes beyond simple passion.

The Solemates
09-16-2015, 15:27

I saw it a little differently, but am all for Anish. Go girl go!

Kenai
09-16-2015, 16:40
I saw it a little differently, but am all for Anish. Go girl go!

What's your take Solemates?

Dogwood
09-17-2015, 00:04
High level achievers, innovators, thinkers, explorers, adventurers, athletes, and those with BIG GOALS - those who seek to bring about the extraordinary - don't live by the sometimes mistaken adage "moderation in all things."

Lone Wolf
09-17-2015, 05:32
Wait, she got by Damascus without Lone Wolf ousting her? She's good. She's real good. :)

unimportant

rocketsocks
09-17-2015, 16:13
ya gotta admire the pithiness. :cool:

Feral Bill
09-17-2015, 21:14
ya gotta admire the pithiness. :cool:
Always do.

Neemor
09-17-2015, 21:16
I saw her just south of the whites a while back.

Lone Wolf
09-18-2015, 06:27
the record was set NOBO. these SOBO records are irrelevent

BirdBrain
09-18-2015, 10:06

Right. Going downhill is unfair. :D

rocketsocks
09-18-2015, 11:06
Right. Going downhill is unfair. :DKinda like this thread.

BirdBrain
09-18-2015, 11:18
Kinda like this thread.

I was going to say she should get extra points for going upwind. However, only those from DownEast would get that.

rocketsocks
09-18-2015, 11:31
I was going to say she should get extra points for going upwind. However, only those from DownEast would get that.That actually made sense to me. :D

gcobb1990
09-18-2015, 11:31
First of all @ gcobb1990. Your unsupported thru hike record was an absolutely AWESOME feat on it's on merits alone. Secondly, your well written article about Anish's record attempt is a great read.

Thanks Kenai. I appreciate the support. Hopefully I'll get a second go soon enough! Looks like I'll be chasing an even faster record next time around :)

Just Bill
09-18-2015, 14:40

Thanks Kenai. I appreciate the support. Hopefully I'll get a second go soon enough! Looks like I'll be chasing an even faster record next time around :)

60.5 days is still the record if you go in the relevant direction.

CrumbSnatcher
09-18-2015, 15:21
60.5 days is still the record if you go in the relevant direction.
if he knew he was in a race that 60.5 would of been quite a bit lower :-)

matthew.d.kirk
09-18-2015, 15:39
if he knew he was in a race that 60.5 would of quite a bit lower :-)

Just as I would have hiked faster knowing the next mark to come... Behold the eternal burden of the predecessor. Grayson does a good job in his article describing these previous marks as stepping stones of human potential. We should acknowlege the past, present and future of things... Records are meant to be broken.

Dogwood
09-18-2015, 15:56
Who's this Matthew Kirk character talking about stepping stones of human potential? I don't know who he is but I like the subject of human potential and the content of his last post. Is he any relation to the Star Fleet James T. Kirk? ;)

Driver8
09-19-2015, 01:22
Beam me up, Scotty, there's no intelligent life here. ;)

BirdBrain
09-19-2015, 01:48
Beam me up, Scotty, there's no intelligent life here. ;)

You think there is no intelligent life here? You should go over to the latest tent thread where someone is fretting over the possibility of about 500 excess square inches being consumed by someone who set his tent up in an empty shelter.

Malto
09-19-2015, 07:53

I agree completely. Going SoBo Trail is 126 miles shorter and has 85,400 less elevation gain than NoBo. In fact a SoBo record isn't much of an accomplishment, it's too easy.

CELTIC BUCK
09-19-2015, 08:03
I agree completely. Going SoBo Trail is 126 miles shorter and has 85,400 less elevation gain than NoBo. In fact a SoBo record isn't much of an accomplishment, it's too easy.

Please explain your Math; just HOW exactly is the same trail any different based on direction? Or is this the new common core??

BirdBrain
09-19-2015, 08:09
Please explain your Math; just HOW exactly is the same trail any different based on direction? Or is this the new common core??

I believe it is sarcasm. Sorta' like the guy that suggested that it being all downhill is offset by the fact that it is all upwind. Just trolling LW.

Malto
09-19-2015, 08:10

My math? it's not math it's physics. it's due to hysteresis. That is why everyone says SoBo is easier. It's no accident.

Malto
09-19-2015, 08:10
I believe it is sarcasm. Sorta' like the guy that suggested that it being all downhill is offset by the fact that it is all upwind. Just trolling LW.

Youre no fun.

BirdBrain
09-19-2015, 08:11
Youre no fun.

My wife disagrees. Speaking of....

Coming!

Lone Wolf
09-19-2015, 08:20
leonard has the NOBO unsupported record. kirk has the unsupported SOBO record. two different hikes. ward's won't be broken any time soon. like jurek's NOBO record

Malto
09-19-2015, 08:31
leonard has the NOBO unsupported record. kirk has the unsupported SOBO record. two different hikes. ward's won't be broken any time soon. like jurek's NOBO record

By your logic then there should be a NOBO March start record. A SoBo (with hurricane) record. A NoBo with more than ten day record. Etc. Didn't Matt already beat Wards record? Noooooo, that's right. After claiming Matt didn't have a chance of beating Wards record, you just change the classification so you can continue to falsely claim that nobody will beat Wards record. your funny.

Lone Wolf
09-19-2015, 08:36
you're. matt did not break ward's record. he set his own SOBO record

BirdBrain
09-19-2015, 08:37
I still say SoBo is harder because it is against the prevailing winds.

matthew.d.kirk
09-19-2015, 08:45

Okay, I'll accept that, but not your claim that 60.5 NOBO will stand for a long time. Just look at Joey Camps and his amazing hike last year. Had he played his cards a little differently, you'd be tweaking that claim. Better start brainstorming variations, the 2016 season isn't far off...

Lone Wolf
09-19-2015, 08:48
joey who? ward still holds the GA to ME record

matthew.d.kirk
09-19-2015, 08:55
Hmm, as I understand it, back in 1990 hitches were taken... Hmm maybe Joey has it after all with 57 and change. If memory fails, check this forum for a thread on it about a year back. It's a part of the common core curriculum:)

Pedaling Fool
09-19-2015, 09:06
...just HOW exactly is the same trail any different based on direction?...
In the same way climbing some mountains are completely different in a SOBO vs NOBO direction, such as Blood Mt, in Georgia; The Priest in Virginia and countless other examples.

Pedaling Fool
09-19-2015, 09:11
In the same way climbing some mountains are completely different in a SOBO vs NOBO direction, such as Blood Mt, in Georgia; The Priest in Virginia and countless other examples.BTW, the difference between NOBO and SOBO becomes very apparent for speed hikers; the difference (WRT time completion) is not appreciated by us regular hikers. In other words, you gotta look at this thru the perspective of breaking records.

CELTIC BUCK
09-19-2015, 12:43
Of course direction of hiking a mountain trail can effect difficulty but the statement was regarding distance & miles.

rocketsocks
09-19-2015, 13:59
Hmm, as I understand it, back in 1990 hitches were taken... Hmm maybe Joey has it after all with 57 and change. If memory fails, check this forum for a thread on it about a year back. It's a part of the common core curriculum:)
Consensus was he had a "Coke and a Smile" with his Pop, so that nullified his unsupported attempt, I still disagree.

Pedaling Fool
09-19-2015, 17:03
The problem with that video...It was too short:mad:

That poor girl, all she likes is hiking, that's not a condemnation of hiking, rather of when people have a singular urge in life, such an urge that that's all you want to do -- that goes beyond simple passion.

High level achievers, innovators, thinkers, explorers, adventurers, athletes, and those with BIG GOALS - those who seek to bring about the extraordinary - don't live by the sometimes mistaken adage "moderation in all things."

Here's another poor soul...or maybe he is a high achiever/athlete....I'm not sure, but it's definitely a crazy thing https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Hill

Excerpt:

Streak

Hill has not missed a day of running since December 1964, dating back to the start of his elite racing career. Hill defines a "run" as completing a distance of at least one mile at any pace.[7] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Hill#cite_note-8) His streak includes workouts after a car crash in 1993 when Hill broke his sternum, and after bunion (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bunion) surgery, after which he used a crutch to cover one mile (1.6 km) in 27 minutes the next day. In December 2013, his streak entered its 50th year; his total logged lifetime mileage was at 158,628.[8] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Hill#cite_note-9) At the end of April 2014 it stood at 159,106.5.[9] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Hill#cite_note-10)[10] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Hill#cite_note-11) On 20 December 2014, Hill completed Manchester's 5 km Heaton Park parkrun, achieving his goal of running at least a mile a day for 50 years.[11] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Hill#cite_note-12)

Seems like I remember reading somewhere about this guy, but don't recall which book, but I just recently became reacquainted with his extreme passion for running by watching this documentary. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6CeZAm6p04

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6CeZAm6p04)

Malto
09-19-2015, 19:12

Thank you for correcting the mistake.

Fine, Ward has the men's self supported NoBo record, Anish, if she stays on track will have the overall self supported record, the women's self supported SoBo, the overall self supported SoBo, the women's self supported, record, the and the overall record while wearing a dress. Matt will have the men's SoBo, the overall men's self supported and the overall SoBo record with a beard. Snorkle will have the Women's NoBo self supported record, the women's overall NoBo record and the overall record while wearing a skirt. (I assume Snorkle had converted to a skirt by then.)

i hope I have that right. Ward didn't wear a skirt did he?

JustaTouron
09-19-2015, 19:17
I think there should be different records based on what month you started too....

So who has the nobo dress wearing male January record?

Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk

Dogwood
09-19-2015, 20:53
Well then, there are a great many poor souls. A. Einstein, A. Shwarzenegger, L. Haney, M. Gandhi, T. Edison, Mother Teresa, N. Tesla, L. Armstrong, C. Columbus, J. Montana, M. Navratilova, P. Sampras, L. James, J.D. Rockefeller, A, Carnegie, B. Gates, S. Jobs, practically every Olympic athlete, ............Not a bad list of poor souls to be included, hey? So much for them living lives of moderation?

Mykneeshurt
09-19-2015, 21:51
Hmmm. Where does a kilt- wearing, skipping hiker who listened to the same song all day (Big Bad John) fit in the record breaking scheme of things? :)

Pedaling Fool
09-20-2015, 09:14
Well then, there are a great many poor souls. A. Einstein, A. Shwarzenegger, L. Haney, M. Gandhi, T. Edison, Mother Teresa, N. Tesla, L. Armstrong, C. Columbus, J. Montana, M. Navratilova, P. Sampras, L. James, J.D. Rockefeller, A, Carnegie, B. Gates, S. Jobs, practically every Olympic athlete, ............Not a bad list of poor souls to be included, hey? So much for them living lives of moderation?Every once in awhile you get a little wood on the ball;)

Lone Wolf
09-20-2015, 09:56
Fine, Ward has the men's self supported NoBo record

i hope I have that right. correct. and matt has the SOBO record. very simple

Lone Wolf
09-20-2015, 09:56
Fine, Ward has the men's self supported NoBo record

i hope I have that right. correct. and matt has the SOBO record. very simple

fastpakr
09-20-2015, 20:07
In case anyone missed it, Anish posted the following this morning:

"I think I'll just do the minimum miles necessary to break the record and just coast in from here," said Anish.
To no one.
Ever.

Malto
09-20-2015, 20:10
In case anyone missed it, Anish posted the following this morning:

That is actually a bit disappointing if it actually happens.

u.w.
09-20-2015, 21:52
Maybe I read that differently, but if she said it "To no one, Ever" - then that sheet aint gonna happen. I don't know her from adam, or eve - but I'd bet my last dollar that she'd quite simply not ever do anything like "just coast in, doing minimum miles". Or as she put it - not "ever".
She be a walking, talking bad azz from what I can tell. Like many, I am definitely rooting for her. I don't think she's about "coasting in" either - "ever".

u.w.

BirdBrain
09-20-2015, 22:20
It might be a bit of misdirection. She might be trying to throw off the groupies. Say one thing, do another. Say you are coasting in and then arrive before they do. I can't wait to read the book.

Sarcasm the elf
09-20-2015, 22:22
She is very good at what she does.
I respect her for that.
All the rest of this talk is just noise to me.

Dogwood
09-21-2015, 01:01
Anish is playing it up. She's a play ah. Misdirection. LOL. She doesn't strike me as any "coaster." Fdat. Might as well play with all the noisemaking opinionated cyber hikers. She has that playful wry witty ah ha ha in your face light heartedness get er done in style working for her. She gets it done and she knows how to have fun at the same time providing some fodder for the fire of opiners following her.

But, you do know woman are the weaker sex? ;)

fastpakr
09-21-2015, 02:39
She wasn't implying that she would coast. Quite the opposite - apparently she's in a position that she could ease it back a little and still get there in time, but she's planning to push it straight through the finish line.

CELTIC BUCK
09-21-2015, 03:57
She's a Class Act ; hiking to her own style and time Frame. Wish Anish safe & fast travels.

Just Bill
09-21-2015, 08:59
joey who? ward still holds the GA to ME record

Ward holds a rumor.

BirdBrain
09-21-2015, 09:11
Anish is playing it up. She's a play ah. Misdirection. LOL. She doesn't strike me as any "coaster." Fdat. Might as well play with all the noisemaking opinionated cyber hikers. She has that playful wry witty ah ha ha in your face light heartedness get er done in style working for her. She gets it done and she knows how to have fun at the same time providing some fodder for the fire of opiners following her.

But, you do know woman are the weaker sex? ;)

That was my point. She might be messing with people. I agree with your sarcasm at the end. Men with that attitude are really missing out. Nothing weak about women. Some men confuse other great attributes that women have with weakness. Women are tough as nails. Some insecure men need a "weak" women to compensate for some things. Record or no record, I don't doubt this girls toughness. I have no clue where she is. Don't care. She wanted it that way. I will read the book.

Colter
09-21-2015, 09:46
"I think I'll just do the minimum miles necessary to break the record and just coast in from here," said Anish.
To no one.
Ever.

Those are all her words. She is saying she would never just coast in her record attempts.

http://www.memecenter.com/search/said%20no%20one%20ever

squeezebox
09-21-2015, 10:15
No stalking please, let her finish this her way.

QHShowoman
09-21-2015, 10:42
That is actually a bit disappointing if it actually happens.

You interpreted this incorrectly.

She's saying she would never just coast through the minimum miles per day needed to surpass the record, thus the "to no one ever" part.
In other words, she's going to do the very opposite and continue to push herself as hard as she can, to make as many miles as she can, to crush the record.

Lone Wolf
09-21-2015, 10:50
Ward holds a rumor.

explain...............

Malto
09-21-2015, 11:16
You interpreted this incorrectly.

She's saying she would never just coast through the minimum miles per day needed to surpass the record, thus the "to no one ever" part.
In other words, she's going to do the very opposite and continue to push herself as hard as she can, to make as many miles as she can, to crush the record.

from what I know of her I couldnt imagine her coasting hence my disappointed comment. The "to no one ever" doesn't make any sense.

QHShowoman
09-21-2015, 11:23
from what I know of her I couldnt imagine her coasting hence my disappointed comment. The "to no one ever" doesn't make any sense.

It makes sense if you're familiar with the way the phrasing in used in Internet memes:

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/said-no-one-ever

Just Bill
09-21-2015, 11:52

Looks like you lose this round of internet trivial pursuit.
You should probably hike less and surf more in the future. :D

Just Bill
09-21-2015, 11:52
explain...............
no thanks

rocketsocks
09-21-2015, 12:22
It makes sense if you're familiar with the way the phrasing in used in Internet memes:

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/said-no-one-ever
I never heard of the phrase either...guess it's like saying. Not, as in.

FKT hikes are a breeze...Not.

BirdBrain
09-21-2015, 12:32
no thanks

He can be taught. :D

Can I get a transfusion? I never learn. :(

Lone Wolf
09-21-2015, 13:24
no thanks

then don't make stupid comments

Malto
09-21-2015, 13:53

"To No one ever"

Hey, this is fun. :)

BirdBrain
09-21-2015, 14:06
"Hypocrisy is a tribute that vice pays to virtue."

QHShowoman
09-21-2015, 14:45
"To No one ever"

Hey, this is fun. :)

You did that wrong, FYI.

The correct usage would be something like:

"Just Bill sure is brief and to the point...
... said no one, ever."

OR

"Lone Wolf really knows how to sugar coat things...
...said no one, ever."

1azarus
09-21-2015, 15:11
You did that wrong, FYI.

... said no one, ever."

OR

...said no one, ever."

wow. only 779 posts and so totally gets it. perfect! ...and sorry, guys...

Lone Wolf
09-21-2015, 15:12
any record by her will be just a rumor according to jb logic.

Malto
09-21-2015, 15:20
You did that wrong, FYI.

... said no one, ever."

OR

...said no one, ever."

Thank you, now I get it! JB is right, I will skip my Adirondack trip next week and go online to learn slang. backpacking just makes my feet hurt anyway.

QHShowoman
09-21-2015, 15:21
wow. only 779 posts and so totally gets it. perfect! ...and sorry, guys...

Only 780 posts, but I've been a member since 2005. I just read more than I post. :-)

QHShowoman
09-21-2015, 15:26
Thank you, now I get it! JB is right, I will skip my Adirondack trip next week and go online to learn slang. backpacking just makes my feet hurt anyway.

If you want to brush up on your Interwebs skills, I suggest getting a full time desk job. But hey, I get paid generously and can afford great gear and awesome backpacking trips.

Just Bill
09-21-2015, 16:48

Making short, stupid comments you don't believe just to offend people seems like such fun though.
But you don't seem to be having fun, so maybe I messed it up? :o

It was kinda fun finding creative ways to meet the 10 character minimum, but guess it ain't fer me after all.

"I'll read a Peterson's Field Guide and brush up on the subtle difference between a pithy plant and a common dickweed.", said Pappy.

To no one.

Ever.

rocketsocks
09-21-2015, 17:06
https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.M1f6718b8911f9f47c5a9a5e83165bbdco0&w=142&h=100&c=7&rs=1&qlt=90&pid=3.1&rm=2

BirdBrain
09-21-2015, 17:32
"I'll read a Peterson's Field Guide and brush up on the subtle difference between a pithy plant and a common dickweed.", said Pappy.

To no one.

Ever.

If your guide book lists them as separate species, I would suggest that your field guide is dated.

To someone somewhere.

BirdBrain
09-21-2015, 17:33

Lone Wolf
09-21-2015, 17:56
Making short, stupid comments you don't believe just to offend people seems like such fun though.
But you don't seem to be having fun, so maybe I messed it up? :o

It was kinda fun finding creative ways to meet the 10 character minimum, but guess it ain't fer me after all.

To no one.

Ever.

quit trolling and stay on topic. you're being sophmoric

matthew.d.kirk
09-21-2015, 21:09
Not long ago, I read a well written post by Brett Maune (http://fastestknowntime.proboards.com/thread/21/john-muir-trail-ca?page=1#post-130) describing the strategic difference between racing and pacing. The former holds higher risk and reward.

Kudos to Anish for racing. I find it interesting how historical context and personality influence strategy. Sub 60 days may soon seem like a low hanging fruit, but it's worth remembering how it remained unplucked for 23 years. Stepping softly stone to stone was a personal choice...

As was boasting about "crushing it". To no one. Ever.

Violent Green
09-21-2015, 21:26
That was an excellent post by Brett.

Ryan

Dogwood
09-21-2015, 21:49
Depends on how reward is being defined. :D

Just Bill
09-22-2015, 08:48
quit trolling and stay on topic. you're being sophmoric
Solid advice worth taking to heart.
But perhaps that's optimistically freshmanic of me.

Malto
09-22-2015, 09:20
Not long ago, I read a well written post by Brett Maune (http://fastestknowntime.proboards.com/thread/21/john-muir-trail-ca?page=1#post-130) describing the strategic difference between racing and pacing. The former holds higher risk and reward.

Kudos to Anish for racing. I find it interesting how historical context and personality influence strategy. Sub 60 days may soon seem like a low hanging fruit, but it's worth remembering how it remained unplucked for 23 years. Stepping softly stone to stone was a personal choice...

That is an interesting post. Matt, if you remember, I asked you if you gave it 100% or if you had more in you. Basically, I was getting at the exact question raised by Brett, did you have an all out strategy or an incrementally better strategy? One isn't right or wrong, they are just different.

And I agree about "crushing it." To No One, Ever.

matthew.d.kirk
09-22-2015, 10:25
Malto, I remember and it was a good question. I can't remember if I responded: 59 was the target from day one. Had I set the mark a bit lower at the beginning, yes I think I could have hit it.

My mission remained focused on the <60 template we didn't yet have...

To "throw away the other guy's data sheet" as Brett suggests, there needs to be an open source data sheet to throw away in the first place. Two years ago, we didn't have that. Two decades gone by: more miles, people, technology, services, etc. a new game with new "rules" (and why I accept that it's a new mark).

I hope we get to see the data from Anish's hike. I wonder what the grand finale will look like. I was pretty gassed by TN/NC as my book details. By then, bigger miles were out of the question. Fueling (or lack thereof) was a big strategic blunder and I own that.

Brett may have outlined a superior FKT strategy back in 2010, but I still prefer to pay attention (and homage) to those before me. Afterall, racers tend to study those spreadsheets harder than anyone... Before tossing them out.

Just Bill
09-22-2015, 11:04

If you'd like to talk a bit historically... and perhaps strategically as well.

I think the better analogy in this case is the difference between exploring and racing. While there was a fuzzy benchmark left by Ward, there was little to truly go by. Sub 60 seemed possible, but in many ways remained unproven. Add to that history the development of the honor, style and ethics brought to the effort by Scott Williamson and it's an easy argument to make that an FKT as we call them today did not exist when Ward hiked.

The difference is easily dismissed, or subtle perhaps. But it's there. To an extent it is as big a difference as when Bridwell, Westbay and Long completed the Nose on El Cap in a day versus Lynn Hill's Free Climb of the Nose in a day. They are both a day, both the same route, so to the outsider there is little difference. The difference between your hike and Ward's is almost as significant in my opinion. The definitions of ethics and style go a long way towards defining the race.

Before there can ever be a race you must define two things; the race course itself and the rules of the race. Both of which remained murky at best until your FKT. Sure we can say Ward hiked the AT, but that loose definition is the subject of great debate between hikers every year. Blazes, re-routes, alternatives, hitching, roadwalking, etc. If we simply say to hike from Springer to Katahdin like a backpacker then Joey Camps holds the fastest known time. But we don't say that. There is a pretty clear set of guidelines that defines the race. Ward introduced the clock, (rather vaguely for a race) at roughly 60.5 days, but none of the guidelines. It was a notable achievement, much like the first climb of the nose in a day, it introduced the idea. A course, a clock and an idea.

If sub 60 was such low hanging fruit, why did nearly an entire generation ignore it? Was it Ward's reputation itself. Was the idea tainted somehow, or even generally disbelieved? I would've thought for all those who disliked Ward someone would have tried to best it just because he held it. Did it take 20 years for the idea to fade into a legend for it to be explored? I can't say. There were certainly qualified people, perhaps they were too inspired by Horton's idea to explore Ward's. Fully supported sub-60 times became low hanging fruit... was the challenge of walking away from that support too daunting, to impossible to consider for any to seriously try? Perhaps the world simply need Scott Williamson and Ray Jardine to bolster the idea's validity. Again, I don't know. I do know that 23 years passed.

What your hike did is explore that idea, turn it into a reality. You took that idea, applied a set of rules that others could reasonably follow and by definition created a race. Stepping softly stone to stone was really the only option when one doesn't know what is possible, when one is exploring. Reckless bushwhackers rarely make it home intact. Exploring carries it's own set of principals too. When you enter the unknown a certain sense of caution and awareness is needed until "possible" is defined.

Your hike has defined the race. Laid out the possible. You're a real person, with a clear set of rules, and a time to beat, even a book laying out the blueprint. Those that follow are not limited to exploration, they are free to race. An explorer cannot afford a car wreck. But someone like Joey Camps can run with reckless abandon and edge of your seat excitement. Anish can do her thing. People watch Nascar to see a race, because at any moment these racers going balls to the wall may crash and burn... or somehow impossibly pull it off. Nobody cheers the engineer calculating the banked turns or the crew laying the specially formulated asphalt that makes it possible.

Exploring and defining is generally pretty unsexy stuff. Racing is sexy. But it's short lived. It's only a sport if a new racer arrives to challenge or best the previous time. I think one truly amazing thing that the FKT folks realized early was the deep respect they hold for those who came first. As Mags often quips, we remember the first 4 minute miler, not the current holder of that time. They say "Records are made to be broken." but that I think is incorrect. Times are made to be broken. The record itself continues on even if the name on the plaque changes with each race.

Joey, Greyson, and Heather are atheletes I respect. They only have the luxury of racing because others provided the possibility to do so.
I'll cheer for each, but much like Mags my personal interest begins to wane with each "next one up", and I find myself only truly excited by those who define the records, not those who simply best them.

Racing in and of itself is entertaining, but exploring is truly inspirational in the minds of many outdoors-folk. The strange hatred and fascination with outdoor FKT's will continue for some time. It's the nature of the venue to question those who race through the woods. But all of us understand and respect exploration... and quietly under the surface you see the edges of the community shifting that way once more I think.

As for personality.
Not everyone understands the exploration of one's self, in the most natural place to do it.
Nor that defining your limits allows you to exceed them.
But in racing it's easy to get confussed I suppose- for the racer and spectator alike.
Clocks can be crushed, annihilated, destroyed, conquered.
So can people if they throw themselves at a wall long enough.

The differences, in this sport, are infinitely subtle.

When the venue is the outdoors.
Where harmony, and not the clock, is the true definition of success.
The explorer seeks to be humbled, humiliated, crushed, destroyed.
To enter the flow, respect the trail, exceed the miniscule limit of our self.

The clock just helps the explorer stay on pace to leave the clock behind.
You can't beat the clock until you beat yourself.
You can't set a record that only exists within yourself.
It turns out we only get to touch the trophy, remember it, but not take it home.
So as a wise lady once said, "Hold the record lightly."
After all- everything that matters is your's to keep anyway- who cares about the time.

"Harmony..." said your hike.

To anyone listening.

Forever.

Tundra
09-22-2015, 11:19
Nice job, Just Bill. You nailed it.

Malto
09-22-2015, 12:34
JB,
did Joey in fact beat Ward's NoBo time? I didn't realize this if its so. While he made a "mistake" in the ride, the FKT is played by the rules of the record holder which in Ward's case, there are no rules that I have seen communicated. So, Joey would hold the current NoBo FKT, despite what Lone Wolf wants to believe. Once Matt declared (and followed) the Williamson model then that became the defacto standard.

CalebJ
09-22-2015, 12:44
JB,
did Joey in fact beat Ward's NoBo time? I didn't realize this if its so. While he made a "mistake" in the ride, the FKT is played by the rules of the record holder which in Ward's case, there are no rules that I have seen communicated. So, Joey would hold the current NoBo FKT, despite what Lone Wolf wants to believe. Once Matt declared (and followed) the Williamson model then that became the defacto standard.
Yes, he went faster. The concern (IMO) is that Joey's hike occurred after Matt followed the new 'rules'. Whether that really means much is obviously up for interpretation. He obviously set a faster time than Leonard and very likely followed stricter guidelines.

Just Bill
09-22-2015, 13:54
It's an interesting debate regarding Joey...

Joey actually holds the fastest time for a backpacker. Period.
Even with the zero he was a full day and change faster than the current overall time (Matt's).

If there was no Matt (or Williamson really)...
Ignoring anything else to debate about his hike- Call Ward's hike the FKT for a backpacker.
Ward hiked NOBO in 60.5 days, Joey also hiked NOBO in 57.25 days.
Take the information, guidelines and rules given by Ward- Carry your own gear and walk the AT from one end to the other.
By that standard, by the rules of the record holder; Joey Camps holds the current NOBO FKT.
I suppose that even by Lone Wolf logic; Joey holds the FKT.

Since there was a Williamson and a Matt, and Joey set out to beat Matt's time (not Ward's) then Joey must be held to those standards.
Unfortunately for Joey, even if he himself didn't fully understand or appreciate those rules when he started, they do exist.

Joey followed those same rules when he attempted the PCT this season.

So hard as it was to swallow initially; Joey is okay with the outcome.
One of the first people to post Joey's time was Matt Kirk- with no disclaimers, conditions, or notes- just a picture of Joey at the sign and a time.
I also greatly applaud the way Peter Bakwin typed up Joey's hike on FKT and honored his accomplishment.
There's more to it than the record books, even in the record book itself.

So; yar we can find much to discuss in terms of records.
On the human side of things I can also say with certainty the level of respect and mutual admiration between the two is quite high.

In fact, as I'm a shameless fella not as plagued by humility as Matt is. I'll take some liberty and share a lie about the "rules".

This summer was an odd one fer me...
I found myself helping Joey a bit with his PCT hike, as well as helping Matt type up his book. Not much of a help to either truth be told, but maybe I wasn't there to help in the way my I figured. During which time neither knew too much about the fact that I happened to be speaking to the other, as believe it or not, I tend to respect folks privacy on such things. As it turned out, this very topic came up a few times as the weeks went by, brought up by each of them on their own, and completely separately.

One fella felt bad, because the rules are just rules, and the clock is the clock.
And there was enough respect for the other that an internal debate existed on who should hold the record.

One fella felt good, that deep in his heart he did his best, even if it didn't end up on paper.
And that the constant question was a motivator that let him go deeper and push further.

So almost to the hour and a continent apart-
One says to me "Maybe the other fella should have it"
One says to me "Ya know, even if he just gave it to me, I wouldn't accept it"

As I just so happened to be in just the right place at just the right time, I used my cyber hiking skills and I sent what one said to the other.
And as these things tend to work out; in the the real world the rules, semantics, debate, and little stuff tends not to matter too much.

On the trail everyone is more or less equal, understands each other pretty deeply, and respects each other even more for it.

Though I still think those two fellas are something pretty special.
And the trail just happened to give each exactly what they needed.
Even if that exchange had to take place on a computer in Chicago.

Not that any of that happened, but it's a nice story either way.

jdx1177
09-22-2015, 14:13
If you'd like to talk a bit historically... and perhaps strategically as well.

I think the better analogy in this case is the difference between exploring and racing. While there was a fuzzy benchmark left by Ward, there was little to truly go by. Sub 60 seemed possible, but in many ways remained unproven. Add to that history the development of the honor, style and ethics brought to the effort by Scott Williamson and it's an easy argument to make that an FKT as we call them today did not exist when Ward hiked.

The difference is easily dismissed, or subtle perhaps. But it's there. To an extent it is as big a difference as when Bridwell, Westbay and Long completed the Nose on El Cap in a day versus Lynn Hill's Free Climb of the Nose in a day. They are both a day, both the same route, so to the outsider there is little difference. The difference between your hike and Ward's is almost as significant in my opinion. The definitions of ethics and style go a long way towards defining the race.

Before there can ever be a race you must define two things; the race course itself and the rules of the race. Both of which remained murky at best until your FKT. Sure we can say Ward hiked the AT, but that loose definition is the subject of great debate between hikers every year. Blazes, re-routes, alternatives, hitching, roadwalking, etc. If we simply say to hike from Springer to Katahdin like a backpacker then Joey Camps holds the fastest known time. But we don't say that. There is a pretty clear set of guidelines that defines the race. Ward introduced the clock, (rather vaguely for a race) at roughly 60.5 days, but none of the guidelines. It was a notable achievement, much like the first climb of the nose in a day, it introduced the idea. A course, a clock and an idea.

If sub 60 was such low hanging fruit, why did nearly an entire generation ignore it? Was it Ward's reputation itself. Was the idea tainted somehow, or even generally disbelieved? I would've thought for all those who disliked Ward someone would have tried to best it just because he held it. Did it take 20 years for the idea to fade into a legend for it to be explored? I can't say. There were certainly qualified people, perhaps they were too inspired by Horton's idea to explore Ward's. Fully supported sub-60 times became low hanging fruit... was the challenge of walking away from that support too daunting, to impossible to consider for any to seriously try? Perhaps the world simply need Scott Williamson and Ray Jardine to bolster the idea's validity. Again, I don't know. I do know that 23 years passed.

What your hike did is explore that idea, turn it into a reality. You took that idea, applied a set of rules that others could reasonably follow and by definition created a race. Stepping softly stone to stone was really the only option when one doesn't know what is possible, when one is exploring. Reckless bushwhackers rarely make it home intact. Exploring carries it's own set of principals too. When you enter the unknown a certain sense of caution and awareness is needed until "possible" is defined.

Your hike has defined the race. Laid out the possible. You're a real person, with a clear set of rules, and a time to beat, even a book laying out the blueprint. Those that follow are not limited to exploration, they are free to race. An explorer cannot afford a car wreck. But someone like Joey Camps can run with reckless abandon and edge of your seat excitement. Anish can do her thing. People watch Nascar to see a race, because at any moment these racers going balls to the wall may crash and burn... or somehow impossibly pull it off. Nobody cheers the engineer calculating the banked turns or the crew laying the specially formulated asphalt that makes it possible.

Exploring and defining is generally pretty unsexy stuff. Racing is sexy. But it's short lived. It's only a sport if a new racer arrives to challenge or best the previous time. I think one truly amazing thing that the FKT folks realized early was the deep respect they hold for those who came first. As Mags often quips, we remember the first 4 minute miler, not the current holder of that time. They say "Records are made to be broken." but that I think is incorrect. Times are made to be broken. The record itself continues on even if the name on the plaque changes with each race.

Joey, Greyson, and Heather are atheletes I respect. They only have the luxury of racing because others provided the possibility to do so.
I'll cheer for each, but much like Mags my personal interest begins to wane with each "next one up", and I find myself only truly excited by those who define the records, not those who simply best them.

Racing in and of itself is entertaining, but exploring is truly inspirational in the minds of many outdoors-folk. The strange hatred and fascination with outdoor FKT's will continue for some time. It's the nature of the venue to question those who race through the woods. But all of us understand and respect exploration... and quietly under the surface you see the edges of the community shifting that way once more I think.

As for personality.
Not everyone understands the exploration of one's self, in the most natural place to do it.
Nor that defining your limits allows you to exceed them.
But in racing it's easy to get confussed I suppose- for the racer and spectator alike.
Clocks can be crushed, annihilated, destroyed, conquered.
So can people if they throw themselves at a wall long enough.

The differences, in this sport, are infinitely subtle.

When the venue is the outdoors.
Where harmony, and not the clock, is the true definition of success.
The explorer seeks to be humbled, humiliated, crushed, destroyed.
To enter the flow, respect the trail, exceed the miniscule limit of our self.

The clock just helps the explorer stay on pace to leave the clock behind.
You can't beat the clock until you beat yourself.
You can't set a record that only exists within yourself.
It turns out we only get to touch the trophy, remember it, but not take it home.
So as a wise lady once said, "Hold the record lightly."
After all- everything that matters is your's to keep anyway- who cares about the time.

"Harmony..." said your hike.

To anyone listening.

Forever.
You my friend are the most obnoxious Internet poster I have ever encountered.

It's a shame because you have some really good points and things to add to the conversation. You just wrap it in so much nonsense. I've heard of people talking so much because they like the sound of their own voice. You must really like the sound of your keyboard.

Been following this thread and mostly loving it. Sorry to pull it off topic.

Malto
09-22-2015, 14:42

It's a shame because you have some really good points and things to add to the conversation. You just wrap it in so much nonsense. I've heard of people talking so much because they like the sound of their own voice. You must really like the sound of your keyboard.

Maybe he can just type faster than us, me for sure.

Be nice!

Just Bill
09-22-2015, 14:45

... said no one, ever."

You're pretty much on topic actually, no apology needed.
Except to Dogwood maybe, he's gunna be pissed I'm the most obnoxious poster. On the whole internet too!
I type fast (one more benefit of a desk job QH!) and had roughly four editors for my book for the very good reason you just stated. ;)

Mags
09-22-2015, 14:52
As Mags often quips, we remember the first 4 minute miler, not the current holder of that time. T

Apropos perhaps...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/11857099/Sir-Roger-Bannisters-four-minute-mile-shoes-sell-for-266500-at-auction.html

I do not think the current sub-4 min mile holder would garner the same amount.

:)

Just Bill
09-22-2015, 14:54
Didn't know that guy used minimalist shoes... He musta read "Born to Run".

BirdBrain
09-22-2015, 15:14
Maybe he can just type faster than us, me for sure.

Be nice!

I am glad the transfusion was delayed. You are no good to me after all. ;)

Oops. That was intended for JB.

Dogwood
09-22-2015, 15:15
Thread drift. Just Bill and Pedaling Fool have me beat in the long winded sometimes obnoxious posts category. I prefer to describe some of my posts as containing outside of the box thinking, confrontational to exact thought ....questioning the answers. However, perhaps I just added another obnoxious post to my credit. :p

It may seem that all I do is post. That is not correct. I read and consider far far more than posting.

matthew.d.kirk
09-22-2015, 15:18
Apropos perhaps...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/11857099/Sir-Roger-Bannisters-four-minute-mile-shoes-sell-for-266500-at-auction.html

I do not think the current sub-4 min mile holder would garner the same amount.

:)

Light bulb goes on... Don't think I have any of the original shoes left, but an old pack and quilt AKA fart sack and other price(less) collectibles... Shall we commence the bidding?:sun

SteelCut
09-22-2015, 15:21
Light bulb goes on... Don't think I have any of the original shoes left, but an old pack and quilt AKA fart sack and other price(less) collectibles... Shall we commence the bidding?:sun

Maybe donate to AT Museum ?

Just Bill
09-22-2015, 15:23
Do the farts smell like fastpacker padthai?
If you vacuum seal it then that can serve as your certificate of authenticity.

imscotty
09-22-2015, 15:23
After the SJ threads I did not have the mental energy to read through this one until today. I regret having done so. What it is about the Internet that makes otherwise decent people think they can be so insulting?

Name calling is an intelligent way to win an argument.... said no one ever.

Let's try to treat each other nice. I'm sure if we all got together in person we would enjoy each other's company and walk away as friends.

Just Bill
09-22-2015, 15:25
I'm sure if we all got together in person we would enjoy each other's company and walk away as friends.
Or at least walk away from the Bear Mountain Inn Sunday Brunch pretty stuffed.

imscotty
09-22-2015, 15:40
Back on topic... while I do not share Heather Anderson's interest in FKT pursuits, she sure seems like a class act. It seems reasonable that we should respect her privacy and not try to pinpoint her whereabouts in real time. That said, FKTs are subject to public scrutiny. Anish's general progress and techniques are worth discussing.

To the Ward Leonard record.... I often think of Sir Isaac Newton's quote, "If I have seen further, it is because I have stood on the shoulder's of Giants." Each record holder sets the bar for the next. It's fun to make comparisons and make the inevitable apple to oranges debate, but in the end I do not think the accomplishment of one person diminishes the accomplishment of the other. I can tell you after watching (virtually) what SJ went through setting his record, I had a renewed respect for JPD and what she accomplished.

Likewise, I wish Heather the best on her hike.

imscotty
09-22-2015, 15:41
Or at least walk away from the Bear Mountain Inn Sunday Brunch pretty stuffed.

and 'Slip-sliding away'

Pedaling Fool
09-22-2015, 17:19
Thread drift. Just Bill and Pedaling Fool have me beat in the long winded sometimes obnoxious posts category. I prefer to describe some of my posts as containing outside of the box thinking, confrontational to exact thought ....questioning the answers. However, perhaps I just added another obnoxious post to my credit. :p

It may seem that all I do is post. That is not correct. I read and consider far far more than posting.Sorry my friend, but you couldn't be more wrong on the part I bolded/underlined. (Notice I stopped short of obnoxious:D).

Take note of my Join Date vs yours, then take note of our Posts count. I'm not trying to get into a competition of who has more/less posts or anything, just correcting you; however, what's more significant is how many words used per post and I guarantee you, my average words per post is way below yours. Granted I have a few (emphasis on few) that are long winded, but of those many of them are cut and paste to a link I provided. Simply because I don't see the need for me to post a long post when someone has already made my point, so I give them the credit by pasting it and providing the link.

One more correction, your posts are not outside of the box. As I've said before, you're a foodie. I know this because you remind me so much of my family and of course my family's friends. I've heard your arguments for all my life, so when I see your posts they just cause a reflex in me to respond, mostly since when I do go home I have to just shut up and listen to all the preaching, so you're my outlet.

And all your talk about nature and all is exactly what I have to listen to every time I go home...my whole family lives in the Maryland/DC area. That's why I live in :sun Florida; I'd kill myself if I lived up there.

In a funny kind of way, I see you as family:D;)

Another Kevin
09-22-2015, 17:53
I think I may have you all beat in the "long winded and obnoxious posts" department. It comes from never having enough time to get out and hike for longer than a clueless weekend. :datz

rocketsocks
09-22-2015, 18:38
Sorry my friend, but you couldn't be more wrong on the part I bolded/underlined. (Notice I stopped short of obnoxious:D).

Take note of my Join Date vs yours, then take note of our Posts count. I'm not trying to get into a competition of who has more/less posts or anything, just correcting you; however, what's more significant is how many words used per post and I guarantee you, my average words per post is way below yours. Granted I have a few (emphasis on few) that are long winded, but of those many of them are cut and paste to a link I provided. Simply because I don't see the need for me to post a long post when someone has already made my point, so I give them the credit by pasting it and providing the link.

One more correction, your posts are not outside of the box. As I've said before, you're a foodie. I know this because you remind me so much of my family and of course my family's friends. I've heard your arguments for all my life, so when I see your posts they just cause a reflex in me to respond, mostly since when I do go home I have to just shut up and listen to all the preaching, so you're my outlet.

And all your talk about nature and all is exactly what I have to listen to every time I go home...my whole family lives in the Maryland/DC area. That's why I live in :sun Florida; I'd kill myself if I lived up there.

In a funny kind of way, I see you as family:D;)

Sorry, got ya's all beat. :D

BirdBrain
09-22-2015, 19:13
Sorry, got ya's all beat. :D

Perhaps we need to conduct a poll. I feel quite confident that I would squish all you amateurs.

John B
09-22-2015, 19:15
Perhaps we need to conduct a poll. I feel quite confident that I would squish all you amateurs.

Are you employed?

BirdBrain
09-22-2015, 19:22
I will take that as my first vote. And yes. Have been since I was 9. Worked 3 jobs for much of my life. Down to 40 hours now.

upstream
09-22-2015, 22:57
So, If she finishes today, what records does she crush? Or does nobody know when she started?

QHShowoman
09-23-2015, 00:04
So, If she finishes today, what records does she crush? Or does nobody know when she started?

I think Anish posted her intent on ProBoards on or about July 30, so I am guessing her "official" start was Aug 1. That would put her 53 days into her hike and earlier today, she posted a photo at Clingman's Dome. So she's less than 200 miles from Springer and averaging somewhere around 38 miles a day, which means she will finish the trail in less than 5 days, assuming she keeps up the pace.

The current FKT for a self-supported thru is Matt's record of 58d 9h, so barring any unforeseen circumstances, she will beat that record, and it could be by as much as a day.

QHShowoman
09-23-2015, 00:08
Also - Anish has kept her whereabouts on the down low, so it is possible that her posts on social media are intentionally a day or more behind. ;-0

John B
09-23-2015, 04:28
I will take that as my first vote. And yes. Have been since I was 9. Worked 3 jobs for much of my life. Down to 40 hours now.

I always wonder how those with multiple thousands of posts in a relatively short time manage to read, think about, and reply to so many threads, all while working full time.

That said, it's 4:30a.m. and time to go to work.

illabelle
09-23-2015, 06:29
I think I may have you all beat in the "long winded and obnoxious posts" department. It comes from never having enough time to get out and hike for longer than a clueless weekend. :datz

Long-winded is one thing. Obnoxious is another.
Whose posts do I scroll through without reading all of it?
Not going to name names...
Of the long-winded people currently under discussion, I can think of one that almost always has valuable information, a well thought out argument, and an error-free write-up. I don't scroll through his posts.
I can think of another that often posts valuable information, but I tend to scroll just because it's tiring.
Another is excessively long-winded, but occasionally entertaining.
I confess that I often do scroll through verbose whines and poorly formatted ramblings.
But remember that the post count doesn't correlate with being long-winded. Pithiness has its place. :)

BirdBrain
09-23-2015, 10:42
I always wonder how those with multiple thousands of posts in a relatively short time manage to read, think about, and reply to so many threads, all while working full time.

That said, it's 4:30a.m. and time to go to work.

A very large percentage of my posts were in a now defunct community thread. We played games in there and purposely ran up post counts. Much of that stuff was meaningless, but fun.

I answer the easy newbie questions that have been asked 10,000 times. Many people are sick of those questions. Many forget that they once were just starting out.

I answer questions about areas that I have been through. I have a good memory and take notes.

I am passionate about tinkering. I am obsessed with tinkering. When someone posts about things that I have built a few hundred of, I might make a few hundred comments.

As to the post count in this thread, Anish desires to make it difficult to know where she is. I am doing my part here by distracting and filling.

Probably the main reason for my post count is my OCD. I have been know to read 500 page books in a sitting. I have been known to tear apart things that I have never seen just to see how they work. I have been known to lock myself in my den for 3 days solving a problem. I am obsessed beyond measure. Presently, I am obsessed with consuming as much hiking information as possible. My post count is nothing compared to the information I have read, processed, and cataloged. I log on whenever I have a free moment. I have a free moment right now. After this post, I will shower, fill the birdfeeders, tackle that honey-do list, and eventually go to work. In between projects and customers (a deceptive term), I will glean information. I try to segregate topics and totally ignore others. I try to read every post in topics of interest. Along the way, I work the above list.

Hopefully this helps. I suspect it was rhetorical. Most people are not as obsessed as me to actually want an answer to such a question.

Driver8
09-23-2015, 13:19
Enough with the navel gazing about post counts, long-windedness and other folderol. Can we keep the focus on Anish and her attempt, please?

jdx1177
09-23-2015, 13:26
Ya. I'm sorry for derailing an otherwise awesome thread

White Shimmer
09-23-2015, 13:26
Enough with the navel gazing about post counts, long-windedness and other folderol. Can we keep the focus on Anish and her attempt, please?

:) This.

The thread has circled the bowl a few times and it really is about the superhumandrivenfemaleultrahikingmonsterknownasani sh.

Stay focused.

Malto
09-23-2015, 14:10
How about Anish's pictures on Facebook. She looks like a ghost in the clingmans dome photos. Only a few more days.