PDA

View Full Version : How much water would you recommend carrying?

saltysack
08-05-2015, 11:31
Heading out in sept for jmt thru...given current water levels....how much is sufficient? Was planning to carry either

2-1 liter smart water bottles(one with sport cap to back flush sawyer)
1-smaller size Gatorade bottle with wide mouth to mix Gatorade powder in.

Or

1-1.5 liter smart water bottle(trader joes w sports cap)
1-smaller Gatorade bottle
This would get rid of 1 bottle and marginally larger than std 1 liter bottle

I will use sawyer mini to filter all water and use the 2l sawyer bag for dirty water. I will have a new sawyer bag in mtr re supply.

Thoughts??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dogwood
08-05-2015, 13:35
Any of those options. You'll be fine. JMT, even in this Sept, is not a dry trail Enjoy the JMT. Let the adventure unfold by not attempting the need to know in excruciating detail all that could possibly be known or considered.

saltysack
08-05-2015, 14:32
Any of those options. You'll be fine. JMT, even in this Sept, is not a dry trail Enjoy the JMT. Let the adventure unfold by not attempting the need to know in excruciating detail all that could possibly be known or considered.

Thx...I think I'm overwhelmed with all the crap involved with transportation,permits etc!! Sorry for all the questions. Almost ready to bend over and grab my ankles...mailing out my mtr bucket this week!!

MuddyWaters
08-05-2015, 19:47
Carry what you need . 2x1 L is enough.

But realize you should put any bottle that sees drink mix in your bearcan at night. So make that one a 1L platy.

You will seldom need to carry more than 1 liter. Longest dry stretch will be from guitar lake to whitney portal, about 15 miles. But you will probably hike half in cool predawn or slightly after if you go up for sunrise. I drank 1/2 L total on that stretch.

Lyv to cathedral lakes depends on if water in sunrise creek. It dries up, and its all uphill. Depends on rain.

saltysack
08-05-2015, 20:19

But realize you should put any bottle that sees drink mix in your bearcan at night. So make that one a 1L platy.

You will seldom need to carry more than 1 liter. Longest dry stretch will be from guitar lake to whitney portal, about 15 miles. But you will probably hike half in cool predawn or slightly after if you go up for sunrise. I drank 1/2 L total on that stretch.

Lyv to cathedral lakes depends on if water in sunrise creek. It dries up, and its all uphill. Depends on rain.

Thx I just spoke with my nephew. He's currently hiking the pct...he's carrying less than 1liter after Whitney..nobo...currently he's in mammoth..also said he wouldn't bother even sending bucket to mtr....he said there were loads of good food in the hiker buckets....I'm not that brave though...thx for tip about drink mix container in bear can.....

Dogwood
08-05-2015, 20:40
I'll tell you what Salty. You pay for my RT between Atlanta and SF, Mammoth, Merced, Fresno, Reno, or LAX AP's. I'll get my own JMT thru permit, be personally responsible for all my own food and kit and I'll carry all the damn water you need. I'll be your parties guide for your entire trek providing opps and a trek as an insider as only Dogwood can. I'll even pick up and drop off your rental vehicle and chauffeur your arses from the AP and drop you all off there when done. If you're nice I'll include some electrolyte tabs for your H2O and share my Hemp and Chia seed Chili too. :)

saltysack
08-06-2015, 15:34
Haaaa....what an offer! If I was Donald trump...I would! The flight is easy the dam permit is the problem!

garyp
08-08-2015, 22:39
I drink alot so I did a 2 liter bladder and a 32 oz nalgene bottle.

saltysack
08-20-2015, 21:25

Good call...didn't think about needing to fit Gatorade bottle in bear can...I'll need to get a 1l platy...

fiddlehead
08-21-2015, 05:43
Water is something that is different for everyone as far as mileage per litre.
Some hike faster than others.
Some take more breaks.
Some sweat more.
Some like to camel up at water sources.

So, when I carried 3 litres on the PCT to do a 27 mile section, most carried 7 or more.
(I ended up having a half litre left over when I got to the next source)
Now, I don't think I could do it anymore on that little as I hike slower and rest more.

So, it's up to the individual and their habits, needs, etc.