PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Pads - Seeking Guidance

hooshr
08-05-2015, 13:42
I just finished a 3 day hike in the Grayson Highlands area as a gear shakedown. Tent, sleeping bag worked great, but not happy with sleeping pad. I have a Big Agnes inflatable pad. It is very noisy and not wide enough. I tend to twist and turn when I sleep. Seeking guidance/suggestions for pads that handle twists and turns and is not so noisy. I am 5' 11" and 210 lbs. Thanks in advance for comments.

JaketheFake
08-05-2015, 13:53
I am definately interested in hearing what the experts say about this...

Namtrag
08-05-2015, 14:25
I love my Klymit Static V pad. I have the insulated one, and it is wide enough for me and very comfy. Not noisy at all.

It's 1 oz heavier than my quilt, but well worth the weight if you need some support, or have an older person's back like we do.

Tipi Walter
08-05-2015, 14:45
Current Pad: Thermarest 40th Anniversary large, now discontinued.
Good inflatable: Thermy Prolite Plus large (25 inches wide nice)
Other Option: Thermy Trail Pro large (2 inches thick)
Comfy Alternative: Thermy NeoAir All Season large.

Namtrag
08-05-2015, 14:56
You can always tell who has a Thermarest pad when you are trying to sleep and they are tossing and turning! lol

One guy we go with said he was waking himself up when he rolled over.

HooKooDooKu
08-05-2015, 16:23
I'm quite happy with my Therm-a-rest NeoAir.

The newer models do not make as much crinkle noise as the 1st generation pads did. Additionally, the level of inflation also effects how much noise they make. Mine was never too loud, and I think it got even quieter after a couple of uses.

While expensive, the size large is wider than the typical 20" pad. I think the specs claim 25" wide, but it seems like I've heard some say that because it is so thick, when fully inflated, it isn't quite that wide. I haven't measured mine for width, but it is definitely wider than my old Therm-a-rest 20" foam pad.

Namtrag
08-05-2015, 17:01
I was just kidding HooKoo! I know a lot of people with Neo Air and most everyone loves theirs.

My best suggestion to the OP is to go to an outfitter and have them inflate several different mattresses, lie down, toss and turn, and see how noisy they are, and see if they are supportive enough. I am of the opinion that this is one area where weight is not a concern to me, comfort is! I am too old to have a sore back, hip and shoulder from sleeping on a really light, thin pad! My pad weighs 25oz, vs my quilt at 23 oz, but I love my pad. I may get the lighter, noninsulated version for warm weather when funds become available.

hooshr
08-05-2015, 17:42
Namtrag,

Thank you for input. Seeking support, width and low noise.

hooshr
08-05-2015, 17:42
Tipi Walter,

Thank you for input.

hooshr
08-05-2015, 17:43
HooKooDooKu,

Thank you for input, greatly appreciated

Namtrag
08-05-2015, 17:49
Namtrag,

Thank you for input. Seeking support, width and low noise.

My pad is 23" wide and 72" long.

Here is a link to Amazon, but you can often find it cheaper. There is also an uninsulated one with a lower r-value.

http://www.amazon.com/Klymit-Insulated-Static-Inflatable-Sleeping/dp/B00D2HXG5E

Old Hiker
08-05-2015, 22:33
I have a few - some gifts, some I bought on sale to try, based on reading here on WhiteBlaze. I still have qualms about inflatables, but those are the most comfortable. I'm worried about holes, leaking, etc. on the Trail.

The closed cell ones I can also use as a pad when taking breaks, etc. to sit on.

1. 500+ miles: Thermy Ridgerest. No probs, I was comfortable. Seems to be getting thinner or I'm getting older. Take your pick! :)

2. Now have Thermy Z-Lite SOL. Very comfortable - 2.6 r value. Using this one in 2016.

3. Also have Klymit Static V - was a gift. Very comfortable, but again, worries about leaks. This one started to leak around the valve. I sent it back and other than "losing" it for a couple of weeks, had no problems with warranty service. Had an upper mgmt take my phone call and give me a reference number. Didn't follow the complete, correct procedure, but everything was straightened out when I called back to find out where my pad was.

4. Also have Thermy Prolite Regular. Very comfortable. Same, same worries, etc. No leaks to date, however.

hooshr
08-06-2015, 10:46
Old Hiker

Thanks for input, greatly appreciated

Tipi Walter
08-06-2015, 11:11
Leaking pads are ALWAYS a concern and I have countless stories from myself and others of mysterious pinhole leaks or valve leaks which inconveniently altered our trips enough to be a hassle. When you're in the middle of a 24 day winter wilderness trip without no bail-out points the inflatable pad becomes important and must work.

One time I had a nice Exped Downmat 9 DLX which blew a baffle on Day 1 of a 19 day winter trip and I had to detour 12 miles to a cached emergency Thermarest I had buried just in case. Bummer

Backpacker-maximus Christine Thuermer had a real hassle with her NeoAir here---

http://christine-on-big-trip.blogspot.de/search/label/Winter%20hike%20in%20the%20Appalachians

On my April trip my Thermarest delaminated (a common enough problem with heavy use) and I had to once again detour 10 miles to a buried NeoAir cache for an in-field replacement. See pic below---taken at Wildcat Falls on Slickrock Creek---

https://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpack-2015-Trips-161/17-Days-In-Rattlerville/i-hQKjHcH/0/L/Trip%20165%20287-L.jpg

After 35 years Thermarest still hasn't figured out or engineered a pad that doesn't delaminate.

I also carry a Ridgerest Solar pad on my trips which makes a great emergency backup for sleeping and a great lounging pad---

https://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpack-2014-Trips-152/Halloween-Snowstorm/i-6WmDkNN/0/L/TRIP%20160%20401-L.jpg

The Ridgerest Solar pad in action.

saltysack
08-08-2015, 22:10
I sent my 2 year old neoair xlite in for replacement due to the common problem of Mylar flaking off due to moisture...they sent newer model....first night I used it.....didn't hold air! Sent back they found a hole...now I'm nervous about trusting this pad for my 14 day Jmt hike..thinking might just take xlite but definitely not as comfortable....sleeping on the hard ground stinks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saltysack
08-08-2015, 22:11
Zlite...

nsherry61
08-09-2015, 11:33
There a several different Big Agnes pad models and different sizes of each. Most manufacturers, including BA, make wide versions of their pads that are along the lines of 25" instead of the more common 20". Wider than 25" is not very common or easy to find in the light-weight backpacking category of pads. From the standpoint of noise, (with the exception of the thermarest neoair xlite which is internally noisy) the type of surface fabric is going to be the biggest noise variable. Again, many pad companies, including BA, offer different pads with different surface fabrics, the softer and quieter ones also tend to be a bit heavier ones.

I like the idea of an earlier post about going to a local outfitter and trying out a number of pads so you can make an educated compromise choice since light, quiet, comfortable, large, and inexpensive are all rather mutually exclusive attributes.

Personally, I've trained myself to sleep comfortably on a small, narrow, noisy, expensive pad because comfort and light-weight are my highest priorities. And yes, it took some time, but with practice, I have learned to sleep well on my narrow, noisy pad.

Another Kevin
08-09-2015, 13:26
Tipi Walter makes a good point. In deep winter, when a leak in an inflatable pad could put you in a survival situation, you need two pads, and one has to be foam, because foam can't leak. The foam one goes down first and both provides more insulation and protects your inflatable from punctures.

In winter, I use a blue foam from XYZ-Mart and a Therm-a-Rest ProLite. I see a lot of people - well, at least a few, there aren't a lot of people crazy enough to do winter backpacking in the Northeast - with the same arrangement of an inflatable plus a foam pad. Self-respecting hikers use a RidgeRest or Z-rest or something. I'm a clueless weekender with no self-respect at all.

MuddyWaters
08-09-2015, 13:47
I just finished a 3 day hike in the Grayson Highlands area as a gear shakedown. Tent, sleeping bag worked great, but not happy with sleeping pad. I have a Big Agnes inflatable pad. It is very noisy and not wide enough. I tend to twist and turn when I sleep. Seeking guidance/suggestions for pads that handle twists and turns and is not so noisy. I am 5' 11" and 210 lbs. Thanks in advance for comments.

Pads that handle twists and turns.....all of them do.

Im going to guess you had trouble staying on the pad or something? You didnt provide much info.

Heavy people have trouble turning in place on pads. You arent that heavy though.

Noisy? Only the neoair is really called noisy by some. I suggest you wear earplugs and this wont be issue with any pad, even neoair.

UL inflatable pads will fail eventually. Plan on it. It just means a night or two on hard ground till can get a replacement. Some get lucky and never have failure. Others have multiples.

Venchka
08-09-2015, 18:09
Tipi Walter makes a good point. In deep winter, when a leak in an inflatable pad could put you in a survival situation, you need two pads, and one has to be foam, because foam can't leak. The foam one goes down first and both provides more insulation and protects your inflatable from punctures.

In winter, I use a blue foam from XYZ-Mart and a Therm-a-Rest ProLite. I see a lot of people - well, at least a few, there aren't a lot of people crazy enough to do winter backpacking in the Northeast - with the same arrangement of an inflatable plus a foam pad. Self-respecting hikers use a RidgeRest or Z-rest or something. I'm a clueless weekender with no self-respect at all.
I have an antique blue foam pad, 22 x 54. You don't see that size anymore. It is destined to reside under my large Xtherm one of these near or real winters. I gave my Ridgecrest to my granddaughter.

Wayne

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk

msoult
08-11-2015, 20:56
Get a hammock.

nsherry61
08-11-2015, 22:20
The foam one goes down first . . .

A winter camping tip: Actually, put the foam pad on top of the inflatable and the whole system is actually warmer, I assume, because your foam has no convection in it at all so it is 100% addition to the inflatable insulation, whereas the inflatable may have a bit of convection still and lets in a little more cold from the sides. And, if you're on snow, you shouldn't have to worry about punctures.

Venchka
08-11-2015, 22:54
Apparently the Xterm defies conventional wisdom. Something about the internal radiant barrier heating up better with a direct path for your body heat. An ongoing debate for sure. I'll experiment this winter.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

shakey_snake
08-12-2015, 12:45
I carry two pads, foam for insulation and an inflatable for comfort.

For most trips, for foam I carry a evazote pad like a Gossamer Gear Thinlight 1/8" thick. For inflatable I carry a Kylmit Inertia X-Wave. It's 25" wide and torso length--nice an comfy where it's needed.

The thought process is that if my inflatable ever leaks, I won't freeze. If it's a hot night, I'll just sleep on the inflatable to provide some natural cooling. At 13oz the combo might not be as light as a small neoAir XLite, but it's wider, more adaptable, and more durable.

nsherry61
08-12-2015, 14:35
Apparently the Xterm defies conventional wisdom.

I've heard nothing but good reviews of the xtherm's warmth in cold weather.

For winter, I've always just used either two foam pads or a foam pad and a 3-season inflatable. Last winter at -14F, on bare ground, I was a bit chilly with my ~1/8 inch foam and REI Flash inflatable pad. When I switched the foam from the bottom to the top, all was good. I've read others' comments about doing this, but, I was still really surprised at the improved warmth. I've never been cold with my z-rest on the bottom and my neo xlite on the top, but I've never tried them colder than about 10F and on snow.

Gry
08-12-2015, 15:42
The xtherm is very noisy but my favorite pad. Used year round with no signs of wear! My father used it weighing about 210 with no issues!

Venchka
08-12-2015, 22:12
The xtherm is very noisy but my favorite pad. Used year round with no signs of wear! My father used it weighing about 210 with no issues!
Must be the old Xtherm and/or overinflated. My 2014 model, inflated just enough to keep my hips from touching bottom, is not noisy at all. I do not hear anything. Most comfy.

Wayne

StealthHikerBoy
08-13-2015, 07:22
Must be the old Xtherm and/or overinflated. My 2014 model, inflated just enough to keep my hips from touching bottom, is not noisy at all. I do not hear anything. Most comfy.

Wayne

Is the Xtherm too "hot" for summer hiking? Or can you just turn it over? Curious as I am thinking of moving to the Xtherm year round.

Heliotrope
08-13-2015, 12:56
Just purchased a sea to summit ultralight pad. Which is 1.5" wider than neo air xlite more comfortable, quieter with a nice next to skin texture. Paired with a 1/8" foam pad or a nice chianti [emoji3]you should sleep better while minimizing risks. My best sleep so far has been on a soft bed of forest debris, no pad. It may be a good idea to practice sleeping in stealth sites. Inflatables will fail. And like one gentleman I met last year, the bulky foam pad may fall off your pack unnoticed.

Venchka
08-13-2015, 12:59
Is the Xtherm too "hot" for summer hiking? Or can you just turn it over? Curious as I am thinking of moving to the Xtherm year round.

I was worried about that too. Since buying mine last year I have spent at least 3 weeks (a week at a time) on my Xtherm on the floor of my apartment. Even in the summer with the A/C set at 78 I have not had any problems with the Xtherm being too hot. It is at least as comfortable as my bed. I also use an Exped Red air pillow. The combination is perfect for a side sleeper like me. Just remember to use the least amount of air possible in both for supreme comfort.

Wayne

CarlZ993
08-13-2015, 15:57
I use a regular sized (72X20) Neo Air Xlite & love it. I does make some noise when you turn over. When I was sleeping in a shelter on the AT, I was wearing ear plugs so it didn't matter. I wish I had one that was wider so my elbows wouldn't drop off the edge, tho. Too cheap to buy the large.

Dholmblad
08-13-2015, 17:01
I picked up a sea to summit ultralight pad not too long ago. Really light, and only takes a few breaths to fill up. Have been very happy with it.

linus72
08-14-2015, 08:14
FYI BackcountryGear is having a thermarest sale right now. wish it was going on when i needed a new pad a month ago, but i love my new BA Aircore anyway. http://www.backcountrygear.com/clearance/brand/therm-a-rest.html
You're welcome ;)

Gambit McCrae
08-14-2015, 09:38
Although Mr Tipi Walter Had a bad experience with his Exped, I have been using a Synmat ul7 LW and RW for about 3 years now and will never use another pad. Now saying this, About 1 year into using my first one, It earned itself a slow leak.. After that, no problems as REI replaced it. I also bring a little 1oz Thermorest fan which is one of my most prized luxury items. After setting the tent up, just hook the fan up and forget about it for about 3 minutes. no more lung inflating after a hard 20 mile day.

Tipi Walter
08-14-2015, 11:36
Although Mr Tipi Walter Had a bad experience with his Exped, I have been using a Synmat ul7 LW and RW for about 3 years now and will never use another pad. Now saying this, About 1 year into using my first one, It earned itself a slow leak.. After that, no problems as REI replaced it. I also bring a little 1oz Thermorest fan which is one of my most prized luxury items. After setting the tent up, just hook the fan up and forget about it for about 3 minutes. no more lung inflating after a hard 20 mile day.

I'm not the only one having problems with the highly vaunted Exped brand. Here's a pic of mine on a 19 day winter trip after failure on Day 1---

https://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2013-1/19-Days-of-Solitude/i-XgfnnwC/0/L/TRIP%20151%20040-L.jpg

Here are some pics from other hiker's blogs to show their Exped failures---

http://i0.wp.com/farm9.staticflickr.com/8438/7763776520_3ec41ca4f6.jpg?resize=500%2C375
This pic from---

http://travellingtwo.com/12882

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/members/images/2104/gallery/Fullsize/IMG0046A.jpg
This pic from---

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/gear/exped-downmat-baffle-failure---has-it-happened-to-you/63495.html

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7140/7763773036_efc37fcd41_b.jpg
This pic from---

https://www.flickr.com/photos/travelling_two/7763773036/
(May be from the same site cited above).

Venchka
08-15-2015, 15:34
I was worried about that too. Since buying mine last year I have spent at least 3 weeks (a week at a time) on my Xtherm on the floor of my apartment. Even in the summer with the A/C set at 78 I have not had any problems with the Xtherm being too hot. It is at least as comfortable as my bed. I also use an Exped Red air pillow. The combination is perfect for a side sleeper like me. Just remember to use the least amount of air possible in both for supreme comfort.

Wayne

I forgot to answer your other question. I used my Xtherm right side up. No problem with the Xtherm being too hot.

As for the CCF + Xtherm discussion. While I have not had a chance to do this here in Texas, Internet sources report good results with the CCF on snow and under the Xtherm.

Wayne

v1k1ng1001
08-15-2015, 20:29
I'm really digging my insulated klymit static V luxe. As a larger guy, the 30" wide pad is heaven. On the other hand I don't do super long trips nor do I regularly camp below freezing...and the v luxe is pretty heavy.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

capehiker
08-19-2015, 22:51
I switched from a NeoAir to a Klymit Static V2 and love it. Inflated, it's about 23in wide X 72in long and weighs in at 16.2ish ounces

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
08-20-2015, 23:07
You can always tell who has a Thermarest pad when you are trying to sleep and they are tossing and turning! lol

One guy we go with said he was waking himself up when he rolled over.

i have the thermarest xtherm and it makes less noise than most of the other brands I have been exposed to on the trail. I have the large which is 25" wide and very comfortable.

Venchka
08-21-2015, 21:02
i have the thermarest xtherm and it makes less noise than most of the other brands I have been exposed to on the trail. I have the large which is 25" wide and very comfortable.

Mega dittos! I have never heard my Xtherm make a sound after lying down. I would expect a sleeping bag to muffle some of the sound, if there was any.
I would also like to know some particulars about these concert volume NeoAir pads. Based on my limited experience with the Xtherm large, sumthin ain't right. Or there are some folks out there who are too picky.
May I never have to sleep in a herd.

Wayne