PDA

View Full Version : Springer Mtn. to Hot Springs

gwb
08-06-2015, 05:54
I hope to finish my series of section hikes by covering the trail between Springer and Hot Springs. I have not set an exact date but I expect to leave mid September-ish.
Does anybody have any input as to what direction would be best? I'm thinking S-N might be an easier way to get my trail legs. Thoughts? Weather, water, transportation or any other advantages I might not be considering?

bigcranky
08-06-2015, 06:49
Having done that area several times, in both directions, I'd likely go northbound from Springer.

Wait, are you finishing the entire trail? If so then go sobo and finish at Springer. :)

I don't think you'll have any major advantage in weather or transportation or whatever either way. It'll be getting chilly at night, especially in the Smokies. (Don't forget to get your thru-hiker's permit right before you leave and carry it with you.)

map man
08-06-2015, 08:28
[QUOTE=bigcranky;Don't forget to get your thru-hiker's permit right before you leave and carry it with you.[/QUOTE]

One thing to keep in mind is that you won't meet the eligibility requirements for a thru-hike permit in GSMNP if you start or end in Hot Springs -- you need to do at least 50 miles of hiking before and after you get to the park. You would need to go at least as far as Allen Gap to qualify.

Of course, lots of hikers lie about this every year (I met multiple hikers in GSMNP who were doing this on my recent section hike from Franklin to Allen Gap) and get the permit even though they don't qualify. This permit is strictly on the honor system. (I'm sorry for introducing something the original poster didn't ask about -- I'm just making a point about something the first reply mentioned.)

But back to the original question. If you go SOBO you get GSMNP, with it's lower overnight lows, completed earlier in the hike while it's still September. I don't find the difficulty difference between the hiking at either end to be significant -- not enough to effect which end you choose to start at.

Gambit McCrae
08-06-2015, 08:35
Weather- September in TN is most of the time just as hot as August. Days are hot but nights cool off a bit.

Transportation- Ron Brown in GA is probably the most reliable shuttle I have used in my 700 miles so far. (Many other shuttles do not need to be discredited) But Ron eats sleeps breaths the trail pretty much 365.

GSMNP Permit-Get your Thru Hiker permit and upon being asked "I'm going to Allen Gap" Then quit in Hot Springs lol

Go NoBo.

gwb
08-06-2015, 12:29
Yes, after this section I will have completed the AT! I have gone South and North on different sections so that's not really an issue. Plus it doesn't seem that monumental to end on Springer to me...
I'm ok on the permit system,no problem there. The weather has me a little concerned. I stopped last year in Hot Springs on Halloween due to the winter storm that dumped too much snow for me to enjoy the trail. Thanks for the input. Any other opinions?

bigcranky
08-06-2015, 14:21
As I mentioned, I've done this section both ways. Ending on Springer is pretty darn cool, actually. You're counting down the miles and suddenly the white blazes just .... end. There's the sign, the first (last) white blaze, the register. We spent the night tenting on the summit our last night out and it was a great spot.

This is just my very humble opinion, and I'm a nobody who hasn't finished one thru hike yet, but I would want to end at the southern terminus. :)

Gambit McCrae
08-06-2015, 14:30
Im with cranky. I am sectioning, 33% done now and I for sure will b doing the 100 mile wilderness/ Big K LAST. As I have already hiked all the southern 1/4. Go SOBO and knockout the shmokes as soon in the season as possible.

JumpMaster Blaster
08-06-2015, 18:20
As I mentioned, I've done this section both ways. Ending on Springer is pretty darn cool, actually. You're counting down the miles and suddenly the white blazes just .... end. There's the sign, the first (last) white blaze, the register. We spent the night tenting on the summit our last night out and it was a great spot.

This is just my very humble opinion, and I'm a nobody who hasn't finished one thru hike yet, but I would want to end at the southern terminus. :)

Hey BC, we still count! There are a LOT of thrus who hike and never help/assist/ provide information to others.

Riocielo
08-09-2015, 22:16

We were at the summit in May and there were notices everywhere about not camping at the summit due to bear activity.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

daddytwosticks
08-10-2015, 07:15
We were at the summit in May and there were notices everywhere about not camping at the summit due to bear activity.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk
I can confirm this...went through in mid-June. Looked like the signs have been up for quite some time based on their condition. :)

Gambit McCrae
08-10-2015, 08:25
There is plenty of tenting around the shelter. When I was there, there were dozen of tents set up all around flat ground. not saying this, I don't see the difference in tenting on the summit, or at the shelter. It is .1 miles away, and if a bear can be a nuisance on the summit he will surely wander over to the shelter sight and be nosey as well.

Trance
08-10-2015, 13:20
Don't worry about the thru hiker permit being 50 miles either way.

My hike through the smokies I never got harassed once for a permit. My friend was asked if he has one, he said he did, and they didnt even ask to see the permit. The person asking was a rider runner too, not a ranger.