PDA

View Full Version : Poplar Ridge Shelter gets new mattresses

Old Hillwalker
08-06-2015, 14:54
Well actually a new sleeping platform to replace the old style "baseball bat" platform.

Just in time to make a lot of Thru hikers a little more comfortable.

https://www.facebook.com/MaineATC

md1486
07-11-2016, 11:42
Do someone know if there is a few official/unofficial tentsites option at Poplar Ridge Shelter ? Can't find any infos. I'm supposed to camp there next weekend.

Thanks !

Rain Man
07-11-2016, 14:31
Well dang! I was lookin' forward to seeing this traditional sleeping platform in person next month. Now I'll get nothing but "new and improved." Phooey!

'course, I'll be in my comfortable hammock no matter! LOL

egilbe
07-11-2016, 14:35
The baseball bats are still there, just in a pile. There is a Q and A, that Dave Fields wrote, in the shelter thats a very entertaining read. I highly reccomend taking a couple hours and enjoy his writing.

egilbe
07-11-2016, 14:37
Do someone know if there is a few official/unofficial tentsites option at Poplar Ridge Shelter ? Can't find any infos. I'm supposed to camp there next weekend.

Thanks !

Lot of area to tent if you are so inclined. The night I spent there the weekend of the fourth, there were 6 pr 7 tents set up around the shelter.

Don H
07-11-2016, 15:01
A friend suggested to MATC that they cut up and sell pieces of the bats as (he believes) they were the last of them used in shelters.

md1486
07-12-2016, 11:33
Lot of area to tent if you are so inclined. The night I spent there the weekend of the fourth, there were 6 pr 7 tents set up around the shelter.

Thanks for the info !