PDA

View Full Version : Small containers

skylark
08-06-2015, 16:17
What are some ideas for small containers that you can put things like baking soda (toothpaste), liquid soap, moisturizing lotion, etc.?

When you don't need much but it is good to have.

BirdBrain
08-06-2015, 16:30
What are some ideas for small containers that you can put things like baking soda (toothpaste), liquid soap, moisturizing lotion, etc.?

When you don't need much but it is good to have.

Dollar store food coloring bottles. Dump out the contents and replace with desired liquid. They have colored caps that can identify contents. Pry out the insert for easy filling. The insert comes out easily and is easily placed back in.

TNhiker
08-06-2015, 16:40
there are stores that sell small containers................just for this purpose...

for example---rei sells small vials and bottles...........

Another Kevin
08-06-2015, 16:43
For slightly bigger containers than the food coloring bottles from the dollar store, you can usually pick up sets of little 2- or 3-ounce containers that are intended for repackaging your toiletries for the TSA checkpoints. I use one of those for olive oil, and another for soap. It's overkill for the soap, but the food coloring bottle is sometimes not quite enough in warm weather. I use more soap than some hikers, since when the weather allows I like to take a bucket bath and wash my socks, skivvies, and T-shirt.

ChrisJackson
08-06-2015, 16:47
http://www.minimus.biz

handy items here

Dochartaigh
08-06-2015, 16:51
http://usplastics.com/

Shipping is a little high, but they make up for it by having all the little bottles be so cheap.

Walkintom
08-06-2015, 17:00
Generally, I make do with travel size products for most things that are paste/liquid and repackage things like pills and other dry goods to the quantity I've decided to pack.

I believe in being lazy when it's convenient and this works out well for not violating that closely held belief.

wannahike
08-06-2015, 18:21
American Science and Surplus has a lot of different containers
http://www.sciplus.com/

Starchild
08-06-2015, 18:28
Contact lens case, you can split them into 2 separate containers.

scrabbler
08-06-2015, 19:50
You may already have a lot of containers. I know I did. Go through your "junk drawer" in your bathroom. Stuff you dont use or has expired is easily washed out and turned into light weight containers. Most dropper bottles come apart easily, just push on the top and it will pop off for you to wash out and refill with whatever.

jimmyjam
08-06-2015, 20:55
Repurpose empty eye drops bottles and other similar small plastic bottles.

saltysack
08-06-2015, 23:48
+1..eye drop container perfect for drB soap or lil olive oil...rei sells the small bal gene containers as said before

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saltysack
08-06-2015, 23:48
Nalgene

Moosling
08-07-2015, 07:20
You may already have a lot of containers. I know I did. Go through your "junk drawer" in your bathroom. Stuff you dont use or has expired is easily washed out and turned into light weight containers. Most dropper bottles come apart easily, just push on the top and it will pop off for you to wash out and refill with whatever.

I like this recommendation, I found this to be true of myself, just dig around, nearly empty contact solution bottles work great I use them to put my fuel for my alcohol stove in, You could use them for olive oil too or whatever.

http://www.amazon.com/OKeeffes-K0350015-Working-Hands-Healthy/dp/B00N3W70L4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438946087&sr=8-1&keywords=okeefe+working+hands+cream

I use this hand cream at work because my hands get so dry I had a couple of empty containers they make for a great first aid kit or toiletry container. Possibility's are limited only by your imagination, plus you can feel good that you recycled something!

Venchka
08-07-2015, 13:12
Nalgene

Right on. I bought 2 & 4 ounce Nalgene leak proof flip top bottles from The Container Store (the only reason I went there is because there is an Outfitter next door who happens to be a WM dealer ;)). I tested both with olive oil. Both passed the 1 week inverted no drip test. I'm pretty sure that there are smaller & larger sizes. I will revisit the store one of these days in search of small containers for dry stuff. In the meantime, 35mm film containers work well but are a bit large and the snap on tops aren't foolproof secure since Kodak stopped using the screw top version with a gasket. I still have flip open shaker tops for my salt & pepper in 35mm cans. Yep, I'm a Geezer.

Wayne

Sarcasm the elf
08-07-2015, 13:16
Individual size purel hand sanitizer bottles (or similar) can easily be found at stores with between .5 and 3oz of volume. They work well for lots of things.

atraildreamer
08-07-2015, 13:45
Prescription bottles with the child-proof locking top.

RangerZ
08-07-2015, 21:48
I use two small containers. The first type are the small shampoo/lotion containers that you can get at hotels. The ones that I favor are oval in section, about 1”X0.5” and 3.5” tall (fit nicely in those small Osprey hip belt pockets), they hold 25 ML or about 0.8 ounces. Some have flip tops – I use them for bug juice, sun lotion, EVOO, DrBonners – taped over the top to ensure that they stay shut. Others have pull off lids – I use those for salt, pepper, toothpicks, etc. The second type are blood test strip containers, smaller than film canisters with an attached lid. They have an inner diameter of about 0.85” (smaller than a nickel) and 2” tall. I use them for matches, cotton balls, etc. I tested one by putting matches in it and sending it for several clothes washer cycles, the matches stayed dry. I have many, if someone wants some send me a PM.

skylark
08-09-2015, 18:13
Breath freshener drops found at the dollar store, should hold enough Dr Bronners for a long weekend, maybe a week.

Riocielo
08-09-2015, 22:24
I lke empty tic-tac containers for dry stuff, especially the tiny ones you can sometimes find at dollar stores. I also like to use small prescription bottles. Mine have caps you can put on one way to screw off and flip it over to just pop the top off.

I found I wasn't too much of a fan of a bunch of ziplock bags, because they all looked alike! :)

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk