PDA

View Full Version : Rutland, Vt To Gorham NH

mmais68569
08-06-2015, 17:19
What is the easiest & fastest way to get from Rutland Vt. to Gorham NH. I am finishing a section hike in Rutland & if I have enough time would like to go to Gorham & hike south to Rutland.

Mike ( Mr. Mean)

Donde
08-06-2015, 18:42
Doubt it is the answer you are looking for but that is pretty good hitching territory. There is bus service to Gorham, but you would have to get pretty east to pick it up coming north from boston.

peakbagger
08-06-2015, 18:43
Amtrak Rutland to NYC then Amtrak to Boston and then Concord Coach bus from Boston to Gorham.

Hitching would be difficult RT 4 to I 91, I 91 to Rt 2 (St johnsbury then Rt 2 East). The volume of traffic is pretty low on I91 (I drive it every few weeks) so hitching potential is low.

Driver8
08-06-2015, 18:53
What is the easiest & fastest way to get from Rutland Vt. to Gorham NH. I am finishing a section hike in Rutland & if I have enough time would like to go to Gorham & hike south to Rutland.

Mike ( Mr. Mean)

Why not hike on into Hanover and see about getting a shuttle from there, then hike back across NH from Gorham? That might make it easier to find a reasonable shuttle arrangement.

Driver8
08-06-2015, 19:03
Why not hike on into Hanover and see about getting a shuttle from there, then hike back across NH from Gorham? That might make it easier to find a reasonable shuttle arrangement.

In fact, as a cost saving measure, you could try getting a shuttle to the White Mtn Nat Forest HQ in North Woostock/Lincoln, just east of Exit 32 on the Kancamagus Hwy, Rt 112. From there, catch the AMC shuttle to Gorham. Its schedule can be found at outdoors.org.

peakbagger
08-07-2015, 08:17
Driver8s concept is good but he like many others get confused on the location of the WMNF headquarters. The Headquarters are in Campton just off the interstate off exit 27 of I 93 and is out it the middle of nowhere. The AMC shuttle does not stop there. One of the AMC shuttles does stop in Lincoln east of exit 32 at a gas station that is the Concord Trailways stop.

There is WMNF facility about 1/4 west of the bus stop. Its easy to get confused on the Lincoln NH strip as there is a lot of tourist traffic.

DavidNH
08-07-2015, 09:51
there is no fast way to get from Rutland to Gorham. It ain't happenin'. You could take bus or train from Rutland to NYC and then bus to boston and boston to Gorham. You could hike the AT from outside of Rutland to Gorham. I am not aware of a direct bus from Rutland to Boston. Failing all of that you'd need to research shuttles. Shuttle or cab either way likely to be expensive!