PDA

View Full Version : Late summer temps & gear

JumpMaster Blaster
08-06-2015, 18:13
Situation:
I currently have a Kelty Cosmic 20 degree bag (performs more like a 30 degree bag though), and a US Army issue 40 degree bag (very heavy). I also have a Sea to Summit Thermolite reactor liner that adds about 5 degrees to whatever system I'm using.

I want to try out a quilt from Enlightened Equipment, and was orginally planning on getting a 40 degree model, but don't think I'll get much use out of it since I won't be going back out on the trail (between Damascus & US 19E) until maybe September, BUT I eventually want to have a down bag for winter (10-20 degrees) and a lightweight bag/quilt for late sptring-late summer. I also have moderate and heavyweight base layers and jackets to supplement.

Should I go with the 40 degree quilt and add layers until late September, or go ahead with a 30 degree quilt and buy a 10 degree bag later on?

Heliotrope
08-06-2015, 22:24
Situation:
I currently have a Kelty Cosmic 20 degree bag (performs more like a 30 degree bag though), and a US Army issue 40 degree bag (very heavy). I also have a Sea to Summit Thermolite reactor liner that adds about 5 degrees to whatever system I'm using.

I want to try out a quilt from Enlightened Equipment, and was orginally planning on getting a 40 degree model, but don't think I'll get much use out of it since I won't be going back out on the trail (between Damascus & US 19E) until maybe September, BUT I eventually want to have a down bag for winter (10-20 degrees) and a lightweight bag/quilt for late sptring-late summer. I also have moderate and heavyweight base layers and jackets to supplement.

Should I go with the 40 degree quilt and add layers until late September, or go ahead with a 30 degree quilt and buy a 10 degree bag later on?

I just bought and received an EE elite 20 deg quilt. And it is sweet! Very lofty and well made. I had it made wide so I can add a down jacket in colder temps. Considering the price I wouldn't buy the 40 deg and the 20. If I was going to use a lighter quilt I would probably make a ray way quilt ( synthetic) with about 1" of loft for mild temps, not for weight savings but to avoid getting overheated on very warm nights. Another option is to buy a sleeping pad with a higher R value to help with temps down into the teens. Weight wise my 20 deg quilt is 21 oz for long and wide so the weight savings becomes negligible beyond that. Unless of course you have lots of money to burn then get a 40, 20 and a 0. ��

saltysack
08-06-2015, 23:44
Check with JRB...they sometimes have factory seconds for $100...for the 40-45 deg Sierra stealth...I like mine to around 50 with minimal base layer ie cap 2. Very nice for the $$...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk