PDA

View Full Version : Mid-February Start - Aquamira vs. Sawyer Mini

hikenow
08-06-2015, 20:21
Hi all,

Planning on starting my thru attempt mid-late February and hoping to enlist the wisdom of the group in terms of water treatment options. I have read everything I can, but I am still up in the air due to the temps I will be traveling in. I have experience with both aquamira and the mini, but not in long-term cold temps. I am worried about the mini freezing and breaking. Would one even be able to tell that the filter froze and is no longer effective? How effective is aquamira in cold temps?

Thank you in advance for any advice/input!

colorado_rob
08-06-2015, 21:20
I believe you're right and a frozen/broken/no longer effective Mini does not show that is doesn't work. Perhaps one can tell by easier pumping. I also believe you simply let AM treat longer for colder water, like a half hour instead of the 15 minutes. I'd go with the AM. Assuming you're talking about the AT, the water quality is fantastic along the way, so AM works great just to be sure to kill the little nasties.

Venchka
08-07-2015, 08:21
White gas stove. Melt snow. Clean water everywhere.
Stay dry. Stay warm.
Have fun!

Wayne

Venchka
08-07-2015, 08:22
ps:

Avoid the yellow snow. :eek: :D :cool:

Wayne

Coffee
08-07-2015, 08:24
I prefer aqua mira when I know that temperatures will be below freezing for long periods during the day. I don't care if it is below freezing at night since I can just keep my Sawyer in my sleeping bag with me. But I hate having to worry about it freezing during the day. On the Foothills Trail in February, probably the coldest hike I've ever done, I took aqua mira.

g00gle
08-07-2015, 09:38
ps:

Wayne

Up where the huskies go...?

Seriously, I wonder what the effect of mountain cold would be on a bottle of Polar-Pure. I plan on taking Aquamira tabs after enough research, but my Polar-Pure has crept in to my thoughts once or twice for the trail (never have to worry about resupplying it.)

swisscross
08-07-2015, 09:55
ps:

Wayne

I like yellow snow...
http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/132/43969/

Moosling
08-07-2015, 10:09
Hi all,

Planning on starting my thru attempt mid-late February and hoping to enlist the wisdom of the group in terms of water treatment options. I have read everything I can, but I am still up in the air due to the temps I will be traveling in. I have experience with both aquamira and the mini, but not in long-term cold temps. I am worried about the mini freezing and breaking. Would one even be able to tell that the filter froze and is no longer effective? How effective is aquamira in cold temps?

Thank you in advance for any advice/input!

I always have heard about people putting their sawyer filter in their sleeping bag at night with them to prevent freezing. Just a thought.

Coffee
08-07-2015, 10:24
I always have heard about people putting their sawyer filter in their sleeping bag at night with them to prevent freezing. Just a thought.

This works if the temps dip below freezing at night but climb above quickly in the morning and stay above most of the day. But it really sucks to try to keep a filter warm during the day especially if it needs to be in use, like if it is attached to a bottle or hydration system. I've been in that situation and it really detracted from the enjoyment of the day for me.

HooKooDooKu
08-07-2015, 10:37
For travel in freezing temperatures, I would suggest SteriPEN. You will find that some here in the forum have used it and hated it, but others love it.

Moosling
08-07-2015, 10:47
This works if the temps dip below freezing at night but climb above quickly in the morning and stay above most of the day. But it really sucks to try to keep a filter warm during the day especially if it needs to be in use, like if it is attached to a bottle or hydration system. I've been in that situation and it really detracted from the enjoyment of the day for me.

Good point didn't really think of that, I'm one of those sawyer guys that drink straight our of my smart water bottle all day, It would suck to have to put the filter in your coat pocket or something and have to get it back out every time you wanted a drink.

hikenow
08-08-2015, 13:01
Thanks for the input Coffee! Do you mind if I ask how long you gave the aqua mira to work in cold temps?
Thanks - Rodney

Coffee
08-08-2015, 14:57
Thanks for the input Coffee! Do you mind if I ask how long you gave the aqua mira to work in cold temps?
Thanks - Rodney

I usually give it 15 minutes but I guess 30 is more conservative with colder water.

hikenow
08-09-2015, 16:39
Thank you all for the input and humor!
Rodney