PDA

View Full Version : Just a note to say Thanks

C_Brice
11-25-2005, 01:21
Hello all,
I have been a frequent visitor to this forum for about 3 or 4 months as a "guest". I will also note that I am not a backpacker. I have dayhiked all over the west(really like Utah,NM and AZ) but when it comes to transportation I prefer my canoe's/kayaks. Still, I find this the #1 site for gear information, PERIOD!

On a trip we took over Labor Day weekend I had way to much gear. Partly because it was my wifes first "roughin it" trip, partly because of lack of information about gear.

You people have solved the second part of problem. On trips since, I have used a tarp and homemade "tyvek" bivy, a pepsi can stove, a nomad wood stove and have explored many other posibilities I didn't know existed.

My gear went from 2 canoes loaded full (for a family of 5) down to one 27 lbs drybag for a 2 day paddle (for one person,me). That drybag still included many heavy items like my Coleman 4.5 lbs fill (8 + lbs total)sleeping bag purchased from Walmart, an old 2 quart SS pot from the kitchen and many items a UL hicker would consider prue luxury. A new sleeping bag and some more thought could reduce that weight even more.

So you guys get a big "Thumbs Up" from this waterway camper. In lots of ways I envey the freedom you take by getting out and doing what you do. A part of me thinks you are nuts for doing it, but then again how many times have you people thought you were nuts too, HAHA.

Keep up the good work and thanks much,
Chris

P.S. Hope you people don't mind me sticking my head in here and checking things out. I might even add my 2 cents worth once in a while where I think it would do some good.

justusryans
11-25-2005, 09:03
More than welcome. Some of us canoe too.

peter_pan
11-25-2005, 10:05
Welcome...Think of ultralight hiking as a long portage without the canoe. ;)

Pan

kyhipo
11-25-2005, 10:12
well some of us aqua blaze:eek: i did on the shanadoa,ky