PDA

View Full Version : Considering an Alternative Thru-Hike for 2016

Klynn
08-08-2015, 11:53
I was planning a 2016 NOBO hike and really wanted to end my victorious hike on Katahdin at the end of my hike; HOWEVER, the reality of the crowded situation hit me a couple of days ago when I watched my first Appalachian Trail You Tube video of the beginning of someone's Springer to Katahdin Spring-start hike. Whoa! The introvert in me went into convulsions, spasms, rigors, etc., and I immediately began to reconsider. I know with 'the movie' coming out, the crowds will be worse in 2016.

I was planning to enjoy a little bit of socializing on the trail, but I know I will be a basket case with the group-think party atmosphere of NOBO Spring-starting Hikers. NO OFFENSE to those people. Everyone is different, and that is okay. It's just not for me. I know only an introvert could understand this. I just know I'll be miserable with the crowds. Though I'd like plenty of time to contemplate the solitude of nature, I don't want to be totally alone, either.

I'm considering some kind of alternative hike. I'm really concerned about water crossings. I'm of a woman of small stature, and this is one of my major concerns. I can push myself through physical challenges, but high, fast water crossings are something you can't push through with sheer grit if you are small.

Though I'm working on hiking around home to get into shape, I'm really an inexperienced hiker, and have just started acquiring my gear. My second choice would be SOBO from Katahdin, but because of the above things, I'm thinking I should consider something else. Are there any hikers who successfully did SOBO as inexperienced hikers?

I haven't seen any suggestions for starting at mid-point of the trail, hiking SOUTH, then hiking mid-point to Katahdin. Is this a possibility? I'm guessing the time table would not work out (or would be rushed?) to get to Katahdin before Oct. 15. If it IS a possibility, what would be the optimum time to do so weather-wise? I'm also concerned about the logistics and expense of doing alternative hikes, mainly travel to the next starting point.

I'm not under any time constraints. I can leave at any time. Keeping the hike frugal is a concern.

I'm open to any suggestions or opinions, links or websites.

Thanks in Advance,
Arkansas Traveler

sfdoc
08-08-2015, 11:58
Start at the half-way point, go to K, then either restart at Springer and go north, or restart at the half-way point and go south to Springer.

MuddyWaters
08-08-2015, 12:06
You cant start midway and go south due to weather and timing
You would also cross paths with the hordes you want to avoid, only its worse going against flow rather than with them

Walkintom
08-08-2015, 12:37
You would also cross paths with the hordes you want to avoid, only its worse going against flow rather than with them

+1. Spot on.

SteelCut
08-08-2015, 12:49
Many different options are available for an alternate hike: http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/thru-section-hiking/when-where-to-start

Klynn
08-08-2015, 12:49
I guess I was thinking that many of the NOBO's would have dropped out by the time we met up in opposite directions, but since you mentioned it, I can see you are probably right.

Walkintom
08-08-2015, 12:53
I guess I was thinking that many of the NOBO's would have dropped out by the time we met up in opposite directions, but since you mentioned it, I can see you are probably right.

Going with the flow, you meet the same people over and over. Going against the flow, you meet a much higher percentage of people, but usually only once.

Klynn
08-08-2015, 12:55
I was just hoping to avoid the complication of having to find a way to work out the travel back to mid-point, but this will probably have to be my solution if I decide SOBO is not do-able for me.

Thank you all for weighing in.

Dogwood
08-08-2015, 14:39
Many different options are available for an alternate hike: http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/thru-section-hiking/when-where-to-start

Here are several viable alternative AT thru-hiking options explained. But, there are an infinite number of other possible viable options IF you apply some creativity while considering your desires.

IMHO, there is a huge misconception that thru-hikers, specifically NOBO AT thru-hikers, head north up the trail in a huge party-like bubble. "Partying" thru-hikers, whatever that might mean, noting it means different things to different people, are ONLY ONE possible segment of AT thru-hikers. Many of those negatively characterizing AT thru-hikers as partyers are the middle aged and older folks, the folks who fail to recognize they too at one time could have likely been characterized as being partyers, delinquents, doing things anti-establishment, and being part of a culture that "kicked up its heels." Sure, there will be those AT thru-hikers that form cliques, smoke weed, kick up their heels more than others, drink alcohol, are noisy, like to crowd together, and will impose themselves on others in an incomprehensible number of ways. SURE, DO consider alternative AT thru-hiking strategies as a way to design a hike that best suits your personality and potentially addresses bubble related issues. But, also consider, as one that can vacillate back and forth between being very introverted at times and very extroverted at times on thru-hikes myself, desiring different trail experiences at different times as a result, YOU TOO can Hike Your Own Hike designing it in such way, that even if you thru-hike NOBO within the bubble you can enjoyably experience it as an introvert.

It's not hard. It's been opined quite a few times here on WB. It takes imagination, observation as to the norms, and a willingness to think and act outside of the box. Regurgitating some recommendations: 1) Avoid regularly sleeping/camping at AT Lean--Tos and at obvious beaten down well used camping areas. Wandering off trail several hundred yards to camp in LNT style can present a whole new world of solitude. 2) Do more hiking in the very early morning starting before sunrise and after sunset - both times when not only the AT thru-hiker crowd numbers fall off precipitously but a whole other entire outdoors experience can be gained. During peak trail usage in the middle of the day occasionally wander off the AT to a secluded site to enjoy a book, embrace additional exploration/adventure, waterfall, tumbling creek, view, take a nap, eat, review trail logistics(upcoming potential campsites offering solitude, etc 3) Do a faster, OR A SLOWER, Thru-hike than the norm. Simply adjusting your personal trail mileage NOT in sync with the crowd can offer a change of trail environment allowing for hiking in front, within, and behind the bubble experiences. Depending on your current desires you can have multiple experiences all on one thru-hike.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/e/edwardabbe151950.html)
Edward Abbey (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/e/edwardabbe151950.html)

Donde
08-08-2015, 15:07
Having SOBO'd and NOBO'd SOBO is where it's at. Start mid to late June, you won't be lonely, but it won't be a daily race for shelter space (though IMO shelters suck and camping is better anyway) either. Or if you have the time do two NOBO sections a little off season (fall in VA is pretty sexy) and really slow roll and enjoy. Last one there wins. Have fun good luck.

Klynn
08-08-2015, 15:34
Steel Cut-Thank you for the link. I'm not sure how, but I missed it the first time. I have read it, and I'm going to read it again, study it and think about it. It is an awesome and thorough write-up on the subject of alternative hikes.

Dogwood - Dern those middle aged hippies and old people, the dad-blasted hypocrites! ;)

I never said anything about 'the party hikers' or any other 'type of hiker' that I am trying to avoid, in fact, I don't think I saw anyone 'partying' in the video I mentioned, it was just a large group of people just 'hanging'. I don't think you understood what I meant by being an introvert. It has to do with an ingrained 'state of being' that is most comfortable for the person....not something that can be turned on or off... but this was not meant to be a discussion about introversion and extroversion.

I'm relatively new to White Blaze, and I'm working my way around, so I'm sorry if my question seems a bit trite to the seasoned AT hikers here and exceedingly appreciate those who have taken the time to respond.

That said, thank you for your thoughtful post, and also for the great suggestions! I think the suggestion to camp down the trail away from the shelters is an awesome one....as are the other suggestions. Thank you for taking the time to write them out.

I'm hoping to take time to smell the flowers, enjoy a waterfall, etc., and I will most likely enjoy being an early morning hiker, too, so I also liked that suggestion as a way to have some solitude.

I am looking forward to meeting all kinds of people on the trail, and I know that is a big part of the AT experience. My preference is just smaller groups of 1-5 people at a time....not 30-50. :D If someone offers me a Mary Jane, though, I'll probably bash them over the head with the Bible or something. ;)

Klynn
08-08-2015, 15:37
Thanks for weighing in Donde. I love the Fall. I appreciate hearing from someone who has experienced both ways.

sfdoc
08-08-2015, 16:33
I didn't say go south for the first part of the hike. What I did suggest for the 2nd half of the hike is to restart at the half-way point and go south or start at Springer (again, 2nd half of a thru) and go north to the original start point!

Dogwood
08-08-2015, 17:17
"I am looking forward to meeting all kinds of people on the trail, and I know that is a big part of the AT experience. My preference is just smaller groups of 1-5 people at a time....not 30-50."

If that's you're preferred version of introversion/extroversion perversion you'll do fine as a AT thru-hiker no matter how you thru-hike as there is little need or regular occurrence where you will be part of 30-50 person group on the AT. :D

Heck, you always have the Ouachita Tr, Ozark Highlands Tr, and Buffalo River Tr in your own home state not far from Marble Falls I just thru-hiked the under appreciated OT and a complete BRT thru to the OHT last yr having my own introverted state of mind times on the trail. I encountered not one other thru-hiker on all the the OT, BRT and the section of the OHT hiked. I know where you're from. I was planning a stop at Marble Falls but had to get back to work. I was near you in Pruitt and Jasper. I'm looking forward to when the Ozark Highlands Tr is trail connected to the Ozark Tr so an uninterrupted thru-hike from St Louis Missouri to Fayetteville Arkansas can be had.

JaketheFake
08-08-2015, 19:03
I am diving in head first at the end of March. Bubble or no bubble. I've been dreaming of a thru-hike attempt for 25 years and I'll be damned if a silly movie is going to cause me to alternate my plans. I do think some of the tips on here are worthy of digesting especially the ones about making your hike a little more secluded at certain times of the day .

Klynn
08-08-2015, 20:05
I didn't say go south for the first part of the hike. What I did suggest for the 2nd half of the hike is to restart at the half-way point and go south or start at Springer (again, 2nd half of a thru) and go north to the original start point!

I understood. It was my not-so-bright idea to hike South for the first part of the hike. I was just brainstorming.

Klynn
08-08-2015, 20:11
That's cool that you were in my area and that you hiked those trails! Actually, we moved here only a year ago, and we are very close to the Buffalo River. My city is Marble Falls, but we live closer to Pruitt. I've had very little time, yet, to explore the trails around here, but I am going to dot he BRT in the Fall to try out all of my gear.

Klynn
08-08-2015, 20:22
I guess I just got spooked or something. I haven't made up my mind. I'm just exploring all possibilities. To me, it just seems like it will be anti-climactic to finish the trail anywhere but Katahdin at the end, and I'm having a hard time giving that idea up. I'm contemplating everything that has been said here, and I think there are some great suggestions.

I think your attitude is a good one. I'm hoping the movie will be a flop, and no one will go see it. Can a Robert Redford flick flop?

FWIW, I just moved to AR recently from Deer Park, a 'burb of Houston. The only thing I miss about living in Texas is Whataburger.

JaketheFake
08-08-2015, 20:39
That does not say much for a place when it is missed only for its regional fast food chain... But then again, that's missing Deer Park. Not exactly the bright shining star if Tejas.

yecart
08-08-2015, 21:08
I have all of the same concerns for all of the same reasons. Perhaps we should hike together thru Maine and lean on each other :)

Lyle
08-08-2015, 21:12
Try a different trail. Plenty of options out there if you want more solitude. Plus, the locals you will meet along other trails will be extremely helpful and interested in sharing with you about your hike because they are not inundated year after year.

MuddyWaters
08-08-2015, 22:00
To me, it just seems like it will be anti-climactic to finish the trail anywhere but Katahdin at the end, and I'm having a hard time giving that idea up. I'm contemplating everything that has been said here, and I think there are some great suggestions.

Well, Katahdin is a dramatic ending, but a 5-6 month thru hike is composed of much much more than the ending.
Other factors that let you enjoy your overall hike more, may be more important than that tiny 1 day ending.

You can always leave it for last, and make a special trip. Its just a plane ticket and couple of cheap bus rides.
Thats what many section hikers do.

BirdBrain
08-08-2015, 23:17
To me, it just seems like it will be anti-climactic to finish the trail anywhere but Katahdin at the end, and I'm having a hard time giving that idea up.

Then don't. Finish where you feel is best. If you are going to change something about your hike that you feel this strongly about based on what others do, you are going to drive yourself foolish. Plan the hike in a logical way and don't worry about what others do. I have felt completely alone in a crowd many a time. You only make yourself part of the crowd if you choose to be part of the crowd. People hike at different paces. You are not stuck to anyone anywhere, unless you allow it. I have been in the Pemi's when hundreds have been there. I hiked alone for most of it. When I slept, I slept alone amongst many tents. Don't let the crowds define your hike. HYOH. That includes ignoring my advice too if it is not helpful.

Turk6177
08-09-2015, 10:48
Since the majority of the people who attempt thru hikes don't even make it out of GA, it should get pretty thin with people soon into your hike. In addition, if you start mid week, you probably would avoid a large bubble. Lastly, there is no reason you have to stay near the shelters. There are plenty of camp spots marked in AWOL's guide that would allow you more solitude.

Donde
08-10-2015, 04:40
Since the majority of the people who attempt thru hikes don't even make it out of GA, it should get pretty thin with people soon into your hike. In addition, if you start mid week, you probably would avoid a large bubble. Lastly, there is no reason you have to stay near the shelters. There are plenty of camp spots marked in AWOL's guide that would allow you more solitude.

The herd that leaves between March and April doesn't really thin out until around HF in my experience. I'm sure plenty quit in GA but there are a whole lot of people out there these days.

Jeff
08-10-2015, 05:39
We have hosted thousands of hikers over the past 8 years. I never heard anyone say the northbound bubble ruined their AT experience. Yes you will have some overcrowded shelter areas in Georgia in the springtime. But the positives of your journey will far outweigh the negatives.

Klynn
08-10-2015, 10:36
That does not say much for a place when it is missed only for its regional fast food chain... But then again, that's missing Deer Park. Not exactly the bright shining star if Tejas.

I was kind of teasing. I do miss Whataburger since there are none in Arkansas, but seriously, I'm not sorry to have left that whole Gulf Coast Region because of the weather. Though we have some heat and humidity here, it's nothing like the Houston area. I lived in it my whole life, and I was more than ready to move to a place that as four seasons.

Klynn
08-10-2015, 10:48
That's definitely a possibility. I'm still weighing all of my options. Part of the challenge of the hike (and one of my goals) is to face tough challenges and rely on myself, rather than leaning on anyone. I've been leaning on people (and been led by or following others) for most of my life, and this is my chance to grow out of it...make my own schedule, figure out how to deal with problems myself, etc. Does that make sense? No offense, because that's my tendency...to 'lean'. Maybe I took what you said the wrong way? I appreciate the offer, and I'll think about it if I decide to go South. I'm really worried about the river crossings, and don't want to be alone when I do them.

JaketheFake
08-10-2015, 10:50
I was kind of teasing. I do miss Whataburger since there are none in Arkansas, but seriously, I'm not sorry to have left that whole Gulf Coast Region because of the weather. Though we have some heat and humidity here, it's nothing like the Houston area. I lived in it my whole life, and I was more than ready to move to a place that as four seasons.

i understand. I have been in Houston area about 30 years. There are some great features to this city and area. I really kind of like the heat also. I am looking forward to my hike and spending time east of the Mississippi ...

Klynn
08-10-2015, 10:54
No, it's good advice, and the more I've thought about it, I think it IS more important for me to summit Katahdin at the end, than avoid the crowds. Though I've read lots of books, I really have no idea what it will really be like on the trail until I get there, but I've gathered lots of great suggestions here to deal with it. I'm feeling much better about it, so though it might have been a trite question, I'm glad I put it out there and have been able to hear everyone's point of view on it. It has been helpful.

Klynn
08-10-2015, 10:56
Thank you so much to everyone who commented, including the ones I did not address individually. I've been given some great advice, and it has helped me a lot! :)

BirdBrain
08-10-2015, 13:00
I'm really worried about the river crossings, and don't want to be alone when I do them.

I am unaware of any super dangerous river crossing. Of course I only have New England experience. Here us a bit of advice on that. First and foremost, do not be afraid to get wet. Getting wet is often the safest option. Rock hopping can be hazardous. Do not seek the calmest water. Calm water often means deep. Think volume of water through area. If the spot is calm and narrow in one area and rough and wide nearby, the calm area is very deep. I seek wide predictable areas to cross. The East Branch of the Pleasant River (I think that is the name, it is the one before Gulf Hagas I am referring to) is a great river to YouTube for an example of what I am talking about. It is wide and rough, but seldom more than a couple feet deep. If a crossing is deep and swift, it will likely have a rope to assist you. Face upriver a bit and lean upriver a bit as you cross. Use a trekking pole as a feeler ahead to gauge depth. Have everything in a trash bag liner in your pack in case you go over. Make sure to unbuckle your hip belt before crossing swift spots or deep spots. Again, don't think twice about getting wet, possibly to your hips. It will be okay. Hopping across dangerous spots because you don't want to get wet can be a bad idea.

Heliotrope
08-12-2015, 13:52
Well, Katahdin is a dramatic ending, but a 5-6 month thru hike is composed of much much more than the ending.
Other factors that let you enjoy your overall hike more, may be more important than that tiny 1 day ending.

You can always leave it for last, and make a special trip. Its just a plane ticket and couple of cheap bus rides.
Thats what many section hikers do.

I like this post. I live in Maine and have climbed Katahdin numerous times. Finishing on Katahdin or not wouldn't be an issue for me. It is an awesome peak yet there are plenty of other awesome peaks and places in Maine as well as other states along the AT. Mt. K has a mystique about it. Wild, remote, no roads to the summit. The end of the trip is bound to be a mix of elation and sadness that the adventure is over. The are places on the AT in Maine that have brought tears to my eyes or have literally taken my breath away. They don't always have to be the greatest mountain to be amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boots and Backpacks
08-12-2015, 13:54
I had all the exact same issues when planning for my now finished thru-hike this year. So we decided to start on 12/30, and we didn't have any issues with people until reaching Vermont. Once in Vermont the trail was crowded with people hiking the LT, and speedsters who were trying to finish in under 100 days.

Starting that early in the season isn't for everyone. Plus some people on here will most likely tell you you're stupid for starting then as well, and that you won't make it either. We started on 12/30, and finished on 7/9. Took our time, and spent nearly a month off the trail.

Dogwood
08-12-2015, 14:37
"...I was more than ready to move to a place that as four seasons."

I bet you'd enjoy Christmas at my house in Hawaii where we decorate a Christmas palm tree and rosemary topiary and serve Mango Margaritas and Pina coladas and grilled pineapple and roast Breadfruit over a emu, and, if the conditions are right, even go snowboarding and build a snowman on the beach. Yes, it snows in Hawaii.

Klynn
08-16-2015, 11:29
I am unaware of any super dangerous river crossing. Of course I only have New England experience. Here us a bit of advice on that. First and foremost, do not be afraid to get wet. Getting wet is often the safest option. Rock hopping can be hazardous. Do not seek the calmest water. Calm water often means deep. Think volume of water through area. If the spot is calm and narrow in one area and rough and wide nearby, the calm area is very deep. I seek wide predictable areas to cross. The East Branch of the Pleasant River (I think that is the name, it is the one before Gulf Hagas I am referring to) is a great river to YouTube for an example of what I am talking about. It is wide and rough, but seldom more than a couple feet deep. If a crossing is deep and swift, it will likely have a rope to assist you. Face upriver a bit and lean upriver a bit as you cross. Use a trekking pole as a feeler ahead to gauge depth. Have everything in a trash bag liner in your pack in case you go over. Make sure to unbuckle your hip belt before crossing swift spots or deep spots. Again, don't think twice about getting wet, possibly to your hips. It will be okay. Hopping across dangerous spots because you don't want to get wet can be a bad idea.

I really appreciate this advice. I'm definitely filing this info away in my brain. I can't recall ever having to ford a river for any reason, so I know absolutely nothing about it, except for the few things I've read in books about people who have hiked the Appalachian Trail. Reading about it is not the same as actually experiencing it. I recall a few crossings in the books that sounded treacherous and kind of deep. Maybe it was a rainy month or something? Or maybe they crossed in the wrong place that you advised against based on 'calm-looking' vs. 'rough and wide'?

I'm not inherently afraid of rivers or water...or even getting wet, but I would imagine my initial instinct would be to try to keep as much dry as possible, so I'm going to remember what you said about not being afraid to get wet. My husband and I use to go wade fishing a lot in the bays near Galveston. What was waist-high for him was shoulder or chest high for me. You just don't have much control over swells in the bay when the water is that high on you. They would lift me off my feet sometimes. Swells are different to rushing rivers. If the rivers are not that high, hopefully I'll be okay. I'm probably worrying about something I shouldn't be, and I feel much better hearing others' experiences with it (and the tips and advice, too)....so thank you.

Klynn
08-16-2015, 11:34
"...I was more than ready to move to a place that as four seasons."

I bet you'd enjoy Christmas at my house in Hawaii where we decorate a Christmas palm tree and rosemary topiary and serve Mango Margaritas and Pina coladas and grilled pineapple and roast Breadfruit over a emu, and, if the conditions are right, even go snowboarding and build a snowman on the beach. Yes, it snows in Hawaii.

Interesting. No, I had no idea that it snows in Hawaii.

...and I thought it was unique that we would sometimes be wearing shorts on Christmas Day in Houston. Can't imagine decorating a Palm Tree. :-) Maybe the key is to embrace what you have, where you are. I'm getting better at this as I grow older, and it's one of the things that I hope the trail will teach me even more while I'm out there.

Klynn
08-16-2015, 11:35
Boots and Backpacks: I'm going to check out your trail journal. :-)

Klynn
08-16-2015, 11:40
I can see the truth in this. Thank you for pointing it out. I have really appreciated reading all points of view.

Klynn
08-16-2015, 11:53
The Appalachian Trail is the one that is calling to me. I don't just want to hike a trail...I want to hike the Appalachian trail. :-) I would imagine that the AT hiking experience will whet my appetite for other trails, though, when I'm finished.

I fear that my first post came off wrong...like I'm whining and complaining or expecting to make the trail what I want it to be. From what I gather... part of making the adventure a success is adapting to what the trail throws your way. I want to do that. I just got spooked seeing a scene on the first day of the trail that looked sort of like...well...did you ever see that viral video of the wave pool in China? :eek: (Okay, I'm exaggerating a little.) I just wasn't expecting that much of a crowd.

I feel much better about things having had everyone's input and advice...so thank you all.

Klynn
08-16-2015, 12:05
Some of the posts I quoted to answer did not 'quote'. I hope they make sense.

heckyesnugent
08-17-2015, 10:34
Can I ask what video you watched? I would like to see it for myself as well.

Cookerhiker
08-21-2015, 16:49

I have recommended a variation of this option on other forums. I've section-hiked the entire AT but if I were to thru-hike now, I'd start at Harpers Ferry on the spring equinox and hike south to Springer. Barring injury or an excessive amount of zero days, you should arrive in mid-June. Then flip to Katahdin and hike south to Harpers Ferry. If your time is limited, then give yourself a few weeks and start at Katahdin in early July. But if time is not an issue, then head out to Colorado and spend your time hiking trails, perhaps some 14ers, to stay in shape. Head to Katahdin around August 10 and start hiking south.

I agree that Katahdin is a fitting place to end an AT thruhike but Harpers Ferry ranks high up there too, for its history, the HQ of the ATC, and proximity to Washington DC for your flight home.

Under this option, you hike in the spring and watch the forest come alive with flowers and then trees. You also hike in fall foliage. And you miss the worst of the heat & humidity.

Your first month would be lonely - you may not meet any hikers except on weekends. Some hostels might be closed. And much of Shenandoah NP is still closed for the season. But you'll have shelters to yourself for those rainy nights (and there will be cold rain at times). You'll eventually meet the NOBOs for some socialization, but you're not hiking in a pack.

handlebar
08-21-2015, 17:59
Another, maybe already suggested, option is to start at Harper's Ferry around May 1, hiking Nobo. That would put you at Katahdin around the end of July. Then get a bus south to DC and catch the train back to HF and begin hiking Sobo. With this itinerary, you will avoid the worst of the black flies in Maine and enjoy the changing fall colors in the south. The Appalachian Trail Conservancy is encouraging such alternative itineraries and even have a "kick off" at HF. You would likely have some company, but could have as much solitude as you want. One of the advantages of the HF location is that it has multiple trains from DC.

Kenai
08-21-2015, 20:48
I am considering doing a non traditional hike. Starting NB in April, at the PA/NJ line, and getting ahead of the mobs. I live close by in NJ, to the water gap.
Once I get to Katahdin, I can take a bus home, and then head south. Even though I am in pretty good shape, I am no spring chicken, and don't think starting in Maine is a recipe for success.
I am just getting a nagging feeling that it won't be the same if I don't start at 1 end or the other.
Another thought is to just leave earlier than most and freezing my butt for a few weeks. I can always send the extra gear home once it warms up.

Lauriep
08-21-2015, 21:35
The fastest and/or earliest flip-floppers are starting to return to Harpers Ferry. One who started in Harpers Ferry the day of the kick off (May 3) said these things:

I was happy I was a flip-flopper
Being ahead of the bubble was a blessing
There were flowers the whole way
I was well-received at Baxter because the park recognized that my hike was designed to help alleviate overcrowding

All of the returning flip-floppers I've seen have been happy with their choice.

Unfortunately, there were quite a few who had physical issues that took them off the Trail. Some of those medical issues were pre-existing, some developed or got worse along the way.

Some hikers, especially the older ones, have emphasized how very hard the hike was. (But this is a common theme we see in 2,000-miler reports from hikers of all ages: "It was harder than I thought it would be - but more rewarding.")

Maryland and southern PA may be easier than other parts of the A.T., but it's still hard when carrying a pack is not second nature. The rocks of PA are hard too. And the climbs in New York. This year there were record rains in Massachusetts and Vermont. And of course, New Hampshire and Maine are the hardest states of all. The northern "half" from Harpers Ferry starts out with what is debatably the 100 easiest miles of the A.T., but overall, the northern "half" is probably harder than the southern "half."

One thing I heard that I had not anticipated is that even though most of the flippers were early in the northbound thru-hiker stream in the Whites, they had a lot of competition from sobos for work-for-stay at the huts.

A young hiker started in Connecticut in late April northbound and enjoyed his hike, but when he returned to the Trail in Connecticut to hike southbound he was pretty lonely. He originally was planning to hike southbound, but Baxter was still closed when he decided to make a change of plans.

Cookerhiker--starting in Harpers Ferry and hiking southbound definitely has advantages. It helps reduce crowding at Springer, but ATC isn't encouraging it in a big way. The reason is that if it became popular, there would be a big collision when these hikers passed the nobos. This plan seems to work best for couples or people who really enjoy being alone. Even though you would see people (and some days would probably pass 100 nobos in the peak of the bubble) there are very few people to actually share the journey with for any length of time. But I've certainly talked to some who've done this variation and loved it.

Laurie P.

Dogwood
08-21-2015, 22:25
The fastest and/or earliest flip-floppers are starting to return to Harpers Ferry. One who started in Harpers Ferry the day of the kick off (May 3) said these things:

I was well-received at Baxter because the park recognized that my hike was designed to help alleviate overcrowding

Thanks Laurie

Heard similar stories from the three flip floppers I met in GSMNP on the AT over the last two days. All had started doing a NOBO from Harpers Ferry hiking to Mt Katahdin and then flipping back to HF to head SOBO to Springer Mt. All were in great spirits and happy with their flip flopping choices.

Like the TRAIL KARMA program too. Hope it takes off.

Kenai
08-21-2015, 23:39

Laurie P.

Thank You so much Laurie P. for this invaluable information. If this strategy for a thru hike is what is in the best interest of the ATC, and everyone else on, or involved with the AT, then I will seriously consider, and most likely use the "Flip Flop" plan, as my model for my thru hike.

egilbe
09-08-2015, 19:06
My GF is an introvert, too. She loves her hamster ball. People drain her. She wants to hike the AT, but she doesn't like people, although she enjoys listening to me talk to hikers we meet on the trail :) her plan is to start in Harpers Ferry in late April, hike North to Katahdin, no hurry to finish before snow falls. Then go back to HF and hike South to Springer. The bubble should be thinned out by the time it passes us up North and not many hikers down South.

Luther
09-17-2015, 12:20
Can I ask what video you watched? I would like to see it for myself as well.

I second this I am interested in seeing this video as well.

George
09-17-2015, 13:06
feb 15 springer start puts one well away from any crowds, but usually not completely alone - some should be at any pace, and fast folks will catch up, but pass through - around april 1 at HF may see some early nobo flippers, but you will likely be faster - whites will be the first busy spot in early summer - july 4 would be a reasonable finish

you will have to start with winter gear and anticipate some challenging days but in my experience 1 in 3 days before HP will be in shorts
all in all not a bad compromise IMO for having the trail mostly to yourself

2000miler
09-17-2015, 15:19
I gotta say, I see the appeal of an alternative thru, but I know I have one shot to do this AT thru-hike, and because of that, I want to give myself as much wiggle room for injury as possible.

Starting in March and heading North gives me so many choices if I get injured on the way North. Even up to two months off trail, and I could flip up to Katahdin and go South. Starting in May for a flip flop, or starting in June for a SoBo, eliminates or greatly complicates those options.

I acknowledge that this is greedy of me, but at the end of the day, I want to successfully complete an AT thru. I'm going to do everything I can to make that happen. Heading North is logical.

I'll practice LNT and be a responsible hiker while heading north, though! (I'm not a party animal by any stretch of the imagination.)

HazBen
09-18-2015, 08:52
Planning and gearing up for a 2016 flip flop from Harpers Ferry to Katahdin then back to Harpers Ferry to Springer.
I am humbled by the difficulties some of the 2015 Flip Floppers have had but I'm not detoured. Will really take it slow and steady or as the trail dictates.
I read the entire 2015 flip Floppers Unite thread. Would love to hear news of 2015 Flip Floppers. Danger Dave how are you? How many finishers do we have?
My husband and I plan to make reservation at Harpers Ferry as soon as the official 2016 Flip Flop Kick Off date Is set. Anyone else out there with similar plans? HazBen and TowSack

pauly_j
09-18-2015, 09:55
Do you have a link to the video? How bad was it?

Viper2016
09-29-2015, 21:08
Klynn, if you're still checking, I proposed the following alternative to a previous thru hiker: SOBO from VT for 2 months to point "B," then SOBO from Katahdin to starting point, then SOBO from "B" to Springer. There are travel logistics.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk