PDA

View Full Version : Fall Colors - Southern AT mid-late October

Coffee
08-08-2015, 19:26
Would the second half of October starting at Springer (via approach trail) be a good time to see fall colors along the southern portions of the AT? I'm looking for a good 14-18 day hike but I cannot start before October 13 or 14. Would starting at Springer and ending near Hot Springs or Erwin by the end of October/early November be a good trip if one of the primary goals is fall color? I suspect that getting toward the end of October might be too late for the AT through GSMNP but there should be good views of the color down at lower elevations since it is a ridge walk, correct? And maybe there would be good fall color further south as well.

Default plan is to stick closer to home and probably hike HF southbound through SNP and keep going until the end of the month (probably ending near the Roanoke area for logistical reasons). Only part after Rockfish Gap would be new to me. I know that fall colors in SNP are usually very good in mid October. And while I love hiking in SNP I've been wanting to check out the southern parts of the AT for a while now.

The Cleaner
08-08-2015, 19:33
At the higher elevations(the Smokies) the leaves may be gone,but going up and down the lower elevations will be great.

Coffee
08-08-2015, 19:43
At the higher elevations(the Smokies) the leaves may be gone,but going up and down the lower elevations will be great.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking is going to be the case based on the reading I've done so far.

I was thinking of possibly starting at GSMNP but two reasons make that unattractive: (1) I'd like to start at least 50 miles south to get the "thru hiker" permit which won't limit my overnights to specific places; (2) shuttle from Knoxville to Fontana (or points south) is very expensive. Other than that maybe starting near GSMNP and ending near Damascus would be better, but there are attractions to actually getting to see the southern terminus finally..

TNhiker
08-08-2015, 20:22
(2) shuttle from Knoxville to Fontana (or points south) is very expensive.

if you know a date and specifics----i maybe able to help...

just have to see how it would fit into my schedule....

Coffee
08-08-2015, 20:53
Thanks TNHiker. I'm hoping to plan the trip out soon.

rocketsocks
08-08-2015, 21:09
I'm so ready for Fall, Summer heat blows!

ChrisJackson
08-08-2015, 21:18
Hi Coffee, I'm doing all GA SOBO the week of Oct 23. I'm real excited about the temps and color. Maybe we'll run into each other! Whatever you choose, have a great one. Fall Hiking, can't wait!

Coffee
08-09-2015, 18:04
So I'm mapping out a possible trip from Amicalola Falls State Park to Erwin TN starting mid-October and so far I have come up with four segments in terms of resupply:

Amicalola Falls SP to Neel Gap 40.5 Miles (~2 days) Start off with light pack.
Neel Gap to NOC 105.6 Miles (5 days)
NOC to Standing Bear 103.5 Miles (5 days)
Standing Bear to Erwin 100.7 Miles (5 days)

I anticipate hiking roughly 20 miles per day but I would like to potentially push for higher mileage days if I feel like it and I don't really want to spend any time at all hitching into towns for resupply. So I would send packages to Mountain Crossings, NOC, and Standing Bear for resupply. If I'm faster than anticipated, that would be fine.

While I feel like 20 MPD is reasonable for me and a five day food carry isn't unreasonable, I'd appreciate any feedback. I'm using AWOL's 2014 NOBO guide for planning purposes. I realize that I could cut my resupply segments down much more but I don't really want to waste a lot of time resupplying, hitching, etc. No plans to take any zero days at all.

Also, any input on whether I should try to stay at any of these resupply places or move on would be appreciated. Obviously all of them are somewhat legendary on the AT so I'm inclined to spend the night at each one.

Based on the guide book, I'm not anticipating having to carry much more than 1L of water at any point, perhaps a bit more to dry camp.

Due to the 5 day food carries, I'll likely use my Circuit rather than CDT just to benefit from the frame as my pack would be in the low-mid 20s at the start of each segment.

Thanks.

Venchka
08-09-2015, 23:11
Isn't Hot Springs between Standing Bear and Erwin? You could lighten your pack leaving Standing Bear. Hot Springs is well worth a long lunch/shopping visit. Heck, you can eat your way through town starting at the Blue Ridge Diner.
If the foliage is better on the north end in mid-October, why not start at 19-E (Mountain Harbor) or Erwin and go south? You still get Thru Hiker status for GSMNP. Just thinking out loud.
Have a great hike.

Wayne

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk

Coffee
08-10-2015, 06:46
Yes, I see that the trail passes right through Hot Springs and it would probably be silly to pass it up for resupply! Fontana Dam might be another place I'll add.

soumodeler
08-10-2015, 08:23
Top of GA hostel is right off the trail at Dicks Creek Gap. Might be worth moving your mail drop to there and getting just the food you need for Neels to Dicks Creek at Mountain Crossings.

Gambit McCrae
08-10-2015, 08:26
leafpeepers.com

LittleRock
08-10-2015, 08:38
Remember the days are quite a bit shorter by late October. You'll probably have ~11 hours of daylight to work with. If you're planning to pull 20+ mile days, I'd recommend either a) waking up before dawn and getting on the trail by sunrise, or b) bringing a good headlamp for night hiking. Although not likely, it is possible that an early season snowstorm could slow you down.

Based on my experience, the fall colors will be at their peak during your first week, but the leaves will mostly be gone by the time you get to the Smokies. Fall comes about 2 weeks earlier in the mountains than it does out here in the flat lands - I try to time my trips so that I can to experience both :-)

Coffee
08-10-2015, 08:56
Limited daylight is definitely a factor. I feel like 20 mpd would involve hiking most daylight hours starting at the crack of dawn with time available for a few breaks during the day. That's typically the style of hiking that I enjoy. I'm not familiar with the terrain in this area but I have looked at the elevation profiles. I am hoping to push myself a bit so it should be good. I guess one good aspect of the leaves being gone in the higher elevations of the Smokies will be fewer people competing for shelter space and better views of the color down below. I am hoping to time my presence in the Smokies for the weekdays due to shelter population concerns.

Venchka
08-10-2015, 12:27
Isn't Hot Springs between Standing Bear and Erwin? You could lighten your pack leaving Standing Bear. Hot Springs is well worth a long lunch/shopping visit. Heck, you can eat your way through town starting at the Smoky Mountain Diner. (http://www.smokymountaindinerhotsprings.com/default.html)
If the foliage is better on the north end in mid-October, why not start at 19-E (Mountain Harbor) or Erwin and go south? You still get Thru Hiker status for GSMNP. Just thinking out loud.
Have a great hike.

Wayne

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk

Sorry. I should have said "...starting at the Smoky Mountain Diner (http://www.smokymountaindinerhotsprings.com/default.html)" in Hot Springs. Hands down my #1 pick for most & best breakfast per dollar that I have found. It is on the AT and about a block from the local grocery store and a big convenience store. Further along the trail you will find Bluff Mountain Outfitters for more hiker friendly food.

Coffee
08-10-2015, 17:26
Sketched out a rough plan, now resupplying at Mountain Crossings, NOC, Standing Bear, and Hot Springs. Three nights in GSMNP shelters at Mollies Ridge Shelter, Double Spring Gap Shelter, and Pecks Corner Shelter. I might stay at Davenport Gap shelter the night of Day 12 rather than going to Standing Bear Farm and just pick up my resupply the next morning as I continue north. I won't stay in Hot Springs but will definitely pick up a mail drop there and eat lunch before moving on. Excited about this trip taking shape!

saltysack
08-10-2015, 18:47
A few great tent sites that would try to include in that section are...

1-Small patch at top of standing Indian mtn or Albert mtn very small spot.

2-Silent bald

3-Cheoah bald

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saltysack
08-10-2015, 18:50
Forgot.... max patch also
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/10/073cb5ea712f4ff9f9ea975fea526e00.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coffee
08-10-2015, 21:40
Wow that's some view! I would like to camp on some of the balds if weather cooperates.

Grunt
08-12-2015, 17:05
Might cross path... leaving Northern Border SMNP on Oct. 17 and hiking t Erwin. Happy Trails