PDA

View Full Version : Want to talk with thru hikers for New Yorker story

ScottDouglas
08-09-2015, 10:52
I'm writing an article for the New Yorker's website on how various stakeholders are dealing with the great increase in thru hikers.

A sub-topic is a cultural shift among some thru hikers; some I've interviewed have described it as a social media mentality playing out on the trail (it's all about me, etc.).

I'd like to talk with some thru hikers, ideally recent ones, to hear their take on the topic. Are there too many thru hikers? What are thru hikers' responsibilities concerning knowing the differing regulations at various places on the trail? Is there evidence of less experienced hikers attempting the trail in greater numbers, motivated more by bucket list/put selfies on Facebook than more traditional reasons to thru hike? Things like that.

I hope to conduct these interviews this coming week. I can be reached at [email protected].

Thanks,

Scott Douglas

rickb
08-09-2015, 12:35
Good grief.

Dogwood
08-09-2015, 13:46
I'd be interested in sharing my perspectives on the questions you raised as a multiple time thru-hiker and regular long distance hiker throughout the U.S. I'm available all this week but will be on trail doing trail work and hiking for the two wks after 8/15.

I can't contact you at the link posted. I need an Email address. You can privately send me an Email through WhiteBlaze or leave a private message at WB with additional contact information.

The Cleaner
08-09-2015, 14:40
I'll share this-Too many started in GA this year, trashed shelters and wreaked havoc in trail towns with drinking parties till many ran out of money and went home.:eek:

Starchild
08-09-2015, 16:01
I feel that the increase in hikers and thru hikers is a very good thing for humanity and nature (and the trail). I do have a very spiritual view of the trail and see this as a time where people are being called back into oneness with nature and this trend will continue, the 'gift' of the internet is a very powerful one that ensures this. I do relate this time as a time mentioned prophetically in many various faiths and belief systems in different ways, but in short us reuniting with 'source' (nature/god/love/etc.).

Not to say there won't be transition issues, but I do believe that those issues of greater impact will have to be reversed by the learning process that will happen as people get back in touch with the life they were meant to live in connection with Nature and community.

I don't know if that is what you are looking for, or if I have time to interview, but thought I would share.

ScottDouglas
08-09-2015, 16:30
I'd be interested in sharing my perspectives on the questions you raised as a multiple time thru-hiker and regular long distance hiker throughout the U.S. I'm available all this week but will be on trail doing trail work and hiking for the two wks after 8/15.

I can't contact you at the link posted. I need an Email address. You can privately send me an Email through WhiteBlaze or leave a private message at WB with additional contact information.

Email address: [email protected]

Thanks, hope to hear from you.

map man
08-09-2015, 18:38
Scott Douglas, I've really enjoyed your work over the years at Running Times Magazine and elsewhere.

This website tends to be dominated by older hikers -- a lot of the frequent posters, like me, are in our 40s and 50s. So a common viewpoint expressed here is, "things sure aren't as good as they used to be." But instead of grumbling, "hey you kids, get off my lawn!," it can be "hey you kids, get off my A.T." Keep that in mind when evaluating some of the feedback you receive from members here.

Be sure to get a good sample of viewpoints from hikers under 30. The Appalachian Trail Conservancy receives applications for recognition for having hiked the entire trail from hundreds of hikers every year. In that application hikers indicate whether they are willing to talk about their hikes with others. So the ATC has contact information from many hikers willing to share their stories and it's possible they may be willing to share that information with you.

I'm guessing you may have already explored this avenue, but just in case you haven't here is the contact information for Laurie Potteiger, the information officer for the ATC:

[email protected]

Datto
08-12-2015, 18:17
I'm writing an article for the New Yorker's website on how various stakeholders

Stakeholders??

Ha, there's the problem.

Datto

Another Kevin
08-12-2015, 18:50
Stakeholders??

Ha, there's the problem.

I don't know about that. All of us ground dwellers have to hold our stakes sometime. Even the hammock hangers are usually using at least a couple of stakes for the tarp.

Traveler
08-14-2015, 07:49
Seems to me the best article would come from direct experience as opposed to anecdotal recitation of someone else hiking experience. Have you considered taking a several days hike in the "bubble" of hikers to see what issues exist and what strategies are used to mitigate them?