PDA

View Full Version : Maximum Acceptable Through-Hike Pack Weight

skylark
08-09-2015, 11:51
What is your personal limit to pack weight? When starting off on a through hike, what pack weight do you not want to exceed?

skylark
08-09-2015, 12:47
Your maximum pack weight is going to be in cold weather, so assume that you are leaving early enough in the season to expect snow on the ground and snowstorms.

I would have liked to compare results by body height but I'm not sure how to do that using a poll.

Walkintom
08-09-2015, 13:11
Is this supposed to be for my pack only - or am I now allowed to impose my will upon the masses and tell other people how they are allowed to hike?

Malto
08-09-2015, 13:17
None of the above. Maximum pack weight should be as little as possible that gives you everything you NEED, a couple things you want and nothing that you don't need or want. Combine that with how much do you want to spend and you have your answer. but I'm sure others will give you rule of thumbs or other nonsense. whatever that number, if you cut it in half while maintaining the second sentence and you will have more comfort while hiking.

MuddyWaters
08-09-2015, 13:18
What trail?
What time of yr?
Including bear cannister?

Lots of variables that can change it 5-6 lbs.

skylark
08-09-2015, 13:40
For example, CDT, leaving Columbus in April, expecting snow in Colorado.

No bear canister to start out.

skylark
08-09-2015, 13:41
This is not about telling other people what to do. It is your personal limit.

Slo-go'en
08-09-2015, 16:07
Load pack until knees buckle, then remove 5 pounds...

For me that's about 20 pounds.

Venchka
08-09-2015, 20:31
Wet winter or dry? Water caches at key locations?
Heavy, late snow in Colorado, normal snow or very little snow?
Swapping out lightweight gear for warmer gear at the Colorado border?
With too many variables, the answer is usually, "It depends."
Have you considered SOBO late June or early July, depending on the snow levels in Glacier?
Good luck.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

skylark
08-10-2015, 05:44
It looks like the sweet spot is between 14 and 24 lbs.

Cobble
08-10-2015, 06:33
Yes, but that is MAXIMUM base weight. Everyone will be aiming lower than their stated.. For example I put in 20 due to consideration of a CDT mountain start...with snowshoes, winter gear, real tent, and extra food.

my PCT base will be more like 12 pre bear cannister.