PDA

View Full Version : Stanimal's 328 Hostel in Waynesboro

X-Pat
08-09-2015, 13:22
I just wanted to take a minute to thank Adam (Stanimal) for saving our hike.
My son (13 y.o.) and I were doing a section from Spy Rock, VA NoBo last week. Well, 4 miles into it, my son's right shoe started to completely disintegrate. With the help of large amounts of duct tape, we managed to make it all the way to Reed's Gap, from where we hitched a ride to Devil's Backbone Brewpub to re-build morale with multiple beverages (coke for my son, beer for me).
Afterwards, I called Adam to ask for advice. He offered to pick us up, showed up 25 minutes later and took us to his hostel, where we spent a relaxing night after buying new shoes for my son.
The next morning, Adam dropped us off at Rockfish Gap, from where we continued our trip.
We were very impressed with the hostel and services Adam provided for not a lot of $$. Highly recommended to anyone staying in Waynesboro, VA.

Jeff
08-09-2015, 15:35
Have heard from many hikers in 2014 and 2015 that Adam knows what hikers need.

WILLIAM HAYES
08-09-2015, 18:10
Spent some time with Adam recently- Adam is a former thru hiker who understands the needs of hikers and is a really good guy. Adam and I came up with the idea of Appalachian Trail Hiker Bracelets .Adam had them made and sent me a couple. They are really cool looking- Appalachian Trail is on one side and Georgia To Maine on the other. White letters with a dark green Background.I dont know what Adam is selling them for or how he plans to market them but you can contact him at his hostel in waynesboro for more information 540 290 4002. The hostel is also nice and a convenient place to stay

hillbilly

CarlZ993
08-10-2015, 15:02
I stayed @ his hostel on my thru-hike in 2013. I think he'd just got it up & running. Very friendly & helpful.

Busky2
08-10-2015, 16:14
+1 On the helpful and friendly, I was on the fly to get from the gap to the PO so I could meet a ride up north but boy did I need a shower, enter Stanimal. Quick friendly service from the gap to his home (a lovely place), for a quick shower (and some ice cream), then a shuttle to the PO all in time to meet my ride to get north of the bubble.

tiptoe
08-10-2015, 20:32
I also stayed at Stanimal's in 2013. Adam picked me up at the Staunton Amtrak station, drove me and another hiker into town to eat and shop, fed us breakfast, and got us to the trailhead in Waynesboro the next day. I'd recommend the place to anyone.

Damn Yankee
08-11-2015, 12:03
Did you buy the shoes at Rockfish Gap Outfitters? Great store and nice people.

X-Pat
08-11-2015, 14:16
Did you buy the shoes at Rockfish Gap Outfitters? Great store and nice people.

We did not, for various reasons:
My son is in the middle of a growth spurt, so expensive shoes are too small within a short time. Also, he's right between kids' size and adult, so chances were slim that they had anything in his size anyway.
Stanimal's is on the other side of town, and while he offered to take us there, I didn't want him to have to drive us around any more than necessary.

We ended up buying the cheapos (Coleman) from K-Mart (1/4 mile from the hostel), which were surprisingly comfortable and more than adequate for the rest of the trip.