PDA

View Full Version : Pee Rag?!

Berry Belle
08-09-2015, 18:49
I just read an article that said the best practice in personal hygiene for women is to cut a quarter of a bandanna to use as a "pee rag" that can be sun dried and UV sanitized on the back of your pack. This eliminates the need for toilet paper unless you need to dig a cathole and do #2. Supposedly sun drying will remove any odor.

For years, my solution has been to wear a panty liner and change it daily. They are compact, lightweight and easy to pack out with my other trash. They've worked well except on a few occasions, when it rained so hard that water ran down my neck and into my rain pants, turning the panty liner into a cold, soaking wet sponge. I've learned to avoid wearing panty liners in those conditions. I haven't had a single UTI since I started using them on my hikes.

The pee rag idea would eliminate the need to buy and carry panty liners, but I'm finding it hard to accept the idea that the thing will actually dry out on the back of my pack, given the amount of rain I usually encounter during a week on the AT. I smell bad enough at the end of a trip already, without a pee-soaked bandanna hanging on my pack. Or I could give myself another camp chore and wash it at night, thus ensuring myself a chilly, wet wipe when I "go" during the night.

Has anyone here actually tried using a pee rag?

illabelle
08-09-2015, 20:31
Not me. I use the P-style. Used as instructed on their website, it eliminates nearly all drip, making a pee rag unnecessary.

Traffic Jam
08-09-2015, 20:33
I tried it when hiking on the wet Benton MacKaye trail. It never dried and after a few days the odor was unbearable. I had to double bag it.

time4change
08-09-2015, 20:39
I also highly recommend the pstyle, it is a lifesaver!

Berry Belle
08-09-2015, 21:33
Checked out the p-style website. At 0.6 oz, it probably weighs about the same as a week's worth of panty liners. On Amazon it costs about the same as 3 boxes of liners and should last forever. More earth friendly too. I think I'll try it.

illabelle
08-09-2015, 21:40
Checked out the p-style website. At 0.6 oz, it probably weighs about the same as a week's worth of panty liners. On Amazon it costs about the same as 3 boxes of liners and should last forever. More earth friendly too. I think I'll try it.

Last I knew it came in six colors.
A suggestion I read in reviews elsewhere:
Green and clear blend in with vegetation, so you might set it down and then not be able to find it. No issues with the other colors: orange, pink, blue, lavender.

Riocielo
08-09-2015, 22:37
Last I knew it came in six colors.
A suggestion I read in reviews elsewhere:
Green and clear blend in with vegetation, so you might set it down and then not be able to find it. No issues with the other colors: orange, pink, blue, lavender.
You are right about the colors. When cleaning our gear after our last section-hike, my clear P-style disappeared. All I can figure is it got mixed in with the trash somehow and wasn't noticed. Immediately bought another one!

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

Cuacoatchoo
08-11-2015, 13:29
Male so I can't help much.

I wonder if the pee rag works better in dry/sunny west coast climates. I think the same might be true if solar panels. AT is mostly shaded and humid.

Does Dr Balmers help?

Walkintom
08-11-2015, 13:52
My wife swears by her PStyle.

Advice she tenders: learn how to use it at home in the shower.

Berry Belle
08-13-2015, 17:17
Got my new lavender p-style yesterday. There's definitely a learning curve. Not sure this additional gadget will eliminate the need for panty liners, so I may not use it for backpacking. But I can see using it in filthy restrooms on road trips.

illabelle
08-13-2015, 18:26
Got my new lavender p-style yesterday. There's definitely a learning curve. Not sure this additional gadget will eliminate the need for panty liners, so I may not use it for backpacking. But I can see using it in filthy restrooms on road trips.

Yes, there are a few lessons* to learn. :o :rolleyes:
But I'd encourage you to work towards using it for backpacking. Much easier than liners, in my opinion.
*Position it correctly, with the widest part at the point of discharge.
*Don't pee into the wind.
*Tilt it downward to empty.

shelb
08-13-2015, 22:05
Advice she tenders: learn how to use it at home in the shower.

This is great advice! I thank you, especially since I just ordered one!!!!

misprof
08-13-2015, 22:51
I wonder about the sun drying making the smell go away. I have lived in sunny 3rd world countries and the only thing the sun did was make the smell worse where people had gone.

Country Roads
08-14-2015, 20:14
Once you get the hang of it, it becomes second nature. Makes pee breaks very fast, which can be great on long hikes. I also find that I drink more & stay better hydrated, because peeing is way less of a hassle. And it is way more leave no trace; no TP or rag needed.

Kat9Maui
08-16-2015, 19:41
I've heard of this thing... How do you wipe after peeing? Or do you just keep going?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

illabelle
08-16-2015, 21:36
I've heard of this thing... How do you wipe after peeing? Or do you just keep going?

http://www.thepstyle.com/
"...when finished peeing, pull the p-style forward with a firm upward motion to remove any remaining drips."

Tea In The Trees
08-19-2015, 04:00
http://www.thepstyle.com/
"...when finished peeing, pull the p-style forward with a firm upward motion to remove any remaining drips."

My wife just ordered two of these, one for hiking, and one for "icky bathrooms".... thanks for this post. Probably make her life alot nicer on trail and traveling. -Nate

Berry Belle
08-19-2015, 15:14
I've used the p-style about a dozen times now, including 3 pee breaks on a day hike. I'm not convinced it's worth the bother. It's nice not to have to squat, because squatting requires me to take off my pack to save my knees. But I still have to take off my pack to get the p-style out, since my pants don't have a good pocket for an item this large. Also, I have to undo my pants to the extent that I might as well just drop them and squat. And if I push firmly enough to remove all the remaining drips, it sort of scratches those delicate tissues. So I still need the panty liners to catch the drips.

I was going to use it in a nasty bathroom I encountered on the way to the trailhead, but I would have to lift that icky seat. Better just to hover over it. And I wondered if things could get complicated if someone came in and noticed that I was facing the toilet.

I haven't totally given up on it, but I suspect the p-style is going to go the way of the camp towel and a lot of other useless stuff I've spent all my lunch money on.

Berry Belle
08-19-2015, 15:19
I wonder about the sun drying making the smell go away. I have lived in sunny 3rd world countries and the only thing the sun did was make the smell worse where people had gone.

From my limited experience at unofficial roadside "pit stops," I would have to agree with you.

illabelle
08-19-2015, 15:27
I keep my P-style in a pouch strapped to my pack near/below the side pocket I use for my water bottle. I can reach it without removing the pack. Some of my pants/shorts work well with the P-style (zipper for sure! not too high-waisted), and others don't work at all. Haven't used it in a nasty bathroom yet. I prefer to wait till I can go in the woods, but that's not always possible. I haven't had problems with scratching, but we're all different. If one product worked for everybody, life would be boring.

Lnj
08-19-2015, 15:46
I'm just tickled to death that there is finally an option for girls to pee standing up!!!! Yay!!! I may get one just to use at my son's football practice to avoid the heinous portapotty.

Zipper
08-24-2015, 18:42
I would say rinse the pee rag regularly. I never used a p-style but learned to pee standing up with pack on without one. I basically got tired of taking off my pack. I drank a lot of water and peed a lot. Maple leaves are good too for same purpose as pee rag, as long as you know your leaf id. I come from serious leave no trace education, so I never leave anything behind - pack out any and all tp (unless putting in privy.)

JustaTouron
09-07-2015, 18:10
I am male, but just want to pass along my daughters approach.

She got a pee funnel as a gag gift from one of her brothers. But she gave it a try but was less than impressed. As she still needed to pull down her underwear and pants, exposing herself to wind and other peoples sight. So although she liked the idea of not squatting, she thought it was inferior to her method of squatting while wearing a ponch which offered complete modesty.

She did like it for portapottis and outhouses where touching gross surfaces not modesty was the issue.

Then one of her brothers suggested she needed a fly and on a lark, she tried using it while wearing boys underwear and putting the end thru the fly.

That works great for her. She can pee standing and even if you are standing in front of her all you will see is her underwear, but none of her privates. Also it means that there is no wind or snow ever blowing up her butt.

It use to be in the winter when were out she would drink as little as possible to avoid the cold of dropping her pants, now she drinks as much as possible, because her new favorite winter activity is writing her name in the snow.

Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk

skippysjs
09-07-2015, 21:09
A male here, but......

My wife and I just completed a 28 mile section hike this weekend and it was her first hike with her pstyle. She is sold on her pstyle and will never carry a pee rag again!

Superbugz
09-12-2015, 23:01
Pstyle. Never go back to squatting again....ever

HeartFire
09-13-2015, 07:25
I use a pee rag - never had a problem with odor, I rinse it in any or every stream I pass, if it's raining, and it's wet - then you are just washing yourself - better hygiene. If you are pre-menopausal, use a red bandana - it won't show blood.

If rinsing in a stream, get it wet, then scrub and wring it out over dirt - not back into the water.

Smoky Spoon
09-14-2015, 11:59
I thought this was a female only forum, I do not want to discuss these very personal things with men if that is okay please?

plexusbritt
09-15-2015, 00:49
I have had no issues with a pee bandana. Rinse and wring like poster number 26 said. [emoji4]

I hike in a skirt over compression pants. Pull down pants under skirt and modesty is solved. No need to remove pack!

plexusbritt
09-15-2015, 00:50
Sorry just realized some of you said you remove pack to save your knees. I'm pretty young and haven't had an issue but I could see that getting tiring eventually.

Smoky Spoon
09-15-2015, 12:54
Was wondering how it works in tents? Obviously I would need a bottle to send the urine to, one that has a sealing lid, but wonder has anyone tried it? I hate climbing out of the tent in the middle of the night, especially in serious rainstorms.

Traffic Jam
09-16-2015, 08:58
I'm not comfortable with rinsing a pee rag in streams (for the sake of others, not myself). I'm interested in why people think this is an acceptable practice. I'm not challenging, just curious. :)

JustaTouron
09-17-2015, 19:23
Was wondering how it works in tents? Obviously I would need a bottle to send the urine to, one that has a sealing lid, but wonder has anyone tried it? I hate climbing out of the tent in the middle of the night, especially in serious rainstorms.
My daughter has used her funnel to pee into a bottle in our tent during rainstorms. She has also used it in the back seat of the minivan during a traffic jam. Her attempt to use it while in a canoe was unsuccessful, however.

Berry Belle
09-21-2015, 20:47
Just carried the thing 70 miles and used it twice. Way too much trouble to dig it out, unzip and carefully get clothing out of the way, and pee carefully so that it doesn't overflow and get my fingers wet. And after all that, I can't get my bladder completely empty standing up. So much easier just to squat. A waste of $12.99. If I thought anyone would actually want a used one, I'd give it away.

Smoky Spoon
09-21-2015, 21:01
Oh hell, i never realized anyone did that.....I am with you, no rinsing one for me in the stream. Trying to get the image of how many streams I drank out of out of my head....:confused:

I'm not comfortable with rinsing a pee rag in streams (for the sake of others, not myself). I'm interested in why people think this is an acceptable practice. I'm not challenging, just curious. :)

Smoky Spoon
09-21-2015, 21:03
Think I might try the tent thing this week in the living room. Thanks for the feedback, i am impressed she tried the canoe!

My daughter has used her funnel to pee into a bottle in our tent during rainstorms. She has also used it in the back seat of the minivan during a traffic jam. Her attempt to use it while in a canoe was unsuccessful, however.

JustaTouron
09-22-2015, 17:00
Think I might try the tent thing this week in the living room. Thanks for the feedback, i am impressed she tried the canoe!
I wasn't. But hey she is a kid and for her it was a new toy. Method my son used, jump into lake pee while swimming. My daughter on the other hand, 5 mins after getting in canoe from a swim, decides to pee in bottle under a poncho, getting very little in the bottle but poluting the puddle in the canoe and then jumping back in the lake to rinse off all the pee she got onto her bathing suit bottom.

HeartFire
09-22-2015, 17:09
To pee in a tent at night - use a ziplock bag, set it outside the door - or just dump it outside the door.

As for rinsing a pee rag in a stream - you tramp through the stream in dirty boots - have you never rinsed your shirt in a stream? rinsed another bandana (not pee rag?) where is the difference? I don't wash it out in the stream, I don't use soap in the spring, I don't wash dishes in the creek - I get things wet and wash/ wring over dry land.

Smoky Spoon
09-22-2015, 17:14
Well I usually try not to stomp in the stream, as when I do I fall everytime, broke my foot once, not fun. :bananaNope never rinsed anything in a sream, i have a collapsible container that weighs nothing, i fill it up everytime for any kind of washing and rinsing. Assumed others did too.

To pee in a tent at night - use a ziplock bag, set it outside the door - or just dump it outside the door.

As for rinsing a pee rag in a stream - you tramp through the stream in dirty boots - have you never rinsed your shirt in a stream? rinsed another bandana (not pee rag?) where is the difference? I don't wash it out in the stream, I don't use soap in the spring, I don't wash dishes in the creek - I get things wet and wash/ wring over dry land.

Traffic Jam
09-22-2015, 19:57

Because of the possibility of fecal matter on the pee rag. Maybe I'm too sensitive about it because I've seen and smelled some very unpleasant things in my profession as an OB/GYN nurse. That's why I asked your rationale. I know you're an NP and thought you might give me some research-based evidence that would change my mind. Thank you for your response. (I LOVE my Lightheart tent). :)

Riocielo
09-22-2015, 23:18
I am male, but just want to pass along my daughters approach.

She got a pee funnel as a gag gift from one of her brothers. But she gave it a try but was less than impressed. As she still needed to pull down her underwear and pants, exposing herself to wind and other peoples sight. So although she liked the idea of not squatting, she thought it was inferior to her method of squatting while wearing a ponch which offered complete modesty.

She did like it for portapottis and outhouses where touching gross surfaces not modesty was the issue.

Then one of her brothers suggested she needed a fly and on a lark, she tried using it while wearing boys underwear and putting the end thru the fly.

That works great for her. She can pee standing and even if you are standing in front of her all you will see is her underwear, but none of her privates. Also it means that there is no wind or snow ever blowing up her butt.

It use to be in the winter when were out she would drink as little as possible to avoid the cold of dropping her pants, now she drinks as much as possible, because her new favorite winter activity is writing her name in the snow.

That's exactly the reason I put a zipper in the crotch of my hiking pants. . .nor where a men's fly would be, but lower down. I can unzip it and use my style with ease, keeping my behind covered.

I have walked hundreds of miles with my "crotch zipper" and done three section hikes and never once had the slightest irritation from the zipper. I did use an invisible zipper because the zipper teeth are smaller and smoother, though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Smoky Spoon
09-23-2015, 14:24
Wonder how a velcro strip instead of a zipper would work? Your idea BTW was genius.

That's exactly the reason I put a zipper in the crotch of my hiking pants. . .nor where a men's fly would be, but lower down. I can unzip it and use my style with ease, keeping my behind covered.

I have walked hundreds of miles with my "crotch zipper" and done three section hikes and never once had the slightest irritation from the zipper. I did use an invisible zipper because the zipper teeth are smaller and smoother, though.

Riocielo
10-07-2015, 21:16
Thanks so much, Smoky Spoon. I did try Velcro first, but it seemed more difficult to reconnect just right. It also seemed there was some little scratchy piece of Velcro touching places I didn't want scratchy stuff to touch.

I tried a regular zipper first and the next time used the invisible zipper. I was afraid the invisible zipper wouldn't hold up, but those pants have over a thousand miles on them and the zipper is doing great. I did sew it so the tongue of the zipper is in the front. It might not matter to some, but it makes it easier for me.

RumpusParable
10-08-2015, 18:04
Personally, I swear by the Freshette. Been using it for years and checking things out I prefer it and stuck with it due to the length and flexibility of the tube. For me that makes it easier to get the cup part back into place with minimal clothes movement when bundled up in cold weather and just plain control of stream when going. Much better aiming and distance from my body at the end, ime.

bydoing
10-27-2015, 17:11
I have tried several different female urination devices. We are not all built the same, and so for some of us, there are still messy clean up issues when using those FUDs. Up until recently, I used the TravelMate. It was damn near perfect. But there was quite a steep learning curve to using it. And if you are not very careful, it is easy to break the seal against the body which means leakage. I always had the dew rag at the ready just in case...

I wanted to get another one within the last month, but discovered the company is no longer in business.
That led me on the search, once again, for the perfect FUD...and I think I found it!!!!!

It is called "Pibella" from a company in Switzerland.

I haven't seen it sold anywhere in N. America, yet.
I ordered it from the company in Switzerland last week and it just came in today, (six business days).

It's perfect!!!!
It is similar in concept to the TravelMate, but so far, I have found that it is foolproof...very easy to use. The design is such that it positions itself correctly every time, so no steep learning curve or long practice sessions. No mess. No fuss. No leaks.
The company seems to have a client base with nursing homes and hospitals, and there are video clips of women of all ages and with health issues that have no problem using the Pibella right from the first get go.

It is a very well thought out FUD. The company claims it can be used by all women regardless of build, and that it can be used standing, sitting, or laying down???!!!

Obviously, I haven't tried using it sitting or laying down, yet. But if it works as well in those positions as it does standing, then that opens up a whole new area of freedom. A little plastic tubing and a pop bottle may make cold night runs when you just don't want to get out of a warm sleeping bag, a thing of the past. And use in the hammock...Out in the canoe fishing...In the car when you just can't wait for the next rest stop or gas station. Hmmmmm!! Can't wait to experiment further.

CynJ
11-04-2015, 15:52
I love a pee rag - I use a small microfiber washcloth which I put a grommett into and a tiny carabiner to clip to the pack. I totally hate using a cotton bandanna - it's just not absorbent. I also carry a small eyedrop bottle of white vinegar. Placing a couple of drops of vinegar on the wet area of the towel before you hang it helps to control any odor (vinegar neutralizes urine). Also rinse fully as often as you can.

The wonderful thing about the microfiber towel is that even wet it absorbs.

BonBon
11-04-2015, 21:07
P-style for me. It was great and I still use it.