PDA

View Full Version : AT Data Book

Ann
01-21-2003, 15:13
Has anyone had any luck getting the latest AT data book? If so, where? I've had it on order from Barnes and Nobel since fall of last year and now after numerous messages pushing up the expected delivery date they have cancelled the order saying:

>> "Despite our efforts, while attempting to secure your merchandise we were advised that it is unavailable at this time.

This information has been forwarded to the appropriate department to update our site accordingly. We have canceled the title(s) from your order and therefore you will not be charged."<<

Moose2001
01-21-2003, 15:31
Ann, if you're looking for the AT Data Book, check the ATC website. Look under the Ultimate Trail Store, AT Guides and Maps, the Whole Trail, Print. It's listed as available for shipment at $4.75.

Now if you're looking for the guidebook from another website that shall remain nameless.... check his site.

Peaks
01-21-2003, 15:33
If the local stores like REI & EMS don't have it, then order it direct from ATC <www.atctrailstore.org>. It should have been available a month ago.

Ann
01-21-2003, 15:37
What a bonehead I am....

I totally forgot about that...must be having another blonde day!!!
THANKS!!!!, I'll give them a call and see if they can add it to my Companion order. (Another order I placed a long time ago.)

AND NO, I'm not buying anything from HWMNBN!!!!!
He has MY official boycott.

THANKS for both of your replies, from the bonehead!!!!

(DUH...just call me Homer!!)

max patch
01-21-2003, 17:01
The Data Book is included in The Thru-Hikers Handbook.

PushingDaisies
01-22-2003, 22:27
Originally posted by Ann:

AND NO, I'm not buying anything from HWMNBN!!!!!

Ann- are we having a Harry Potter moment?:D

Trail Yeti
01-23-2003, 00:57
Harry Potter RULES!!! I want to learn to play Quidditch, but am afraid of exposing myself in my kilt!!!

PushingDaisies
01-23-2003, 01:30
Yeti - now I know why I love you so much! :D You rock!

Jack Tarlin
01-23-2003, 12:20
The Data Book is NOT included in the Handbook, unless I'm very much mistaken. What the Handbook contains, or at least it did last year, is trail mileage figures that match the Data Book's; this is quite useful for planning your hiking day.

However, the Data Book contains a ton of information NOT found in either the Handbook or the Companion, such as campsites, road crossings, and most important of all, water information.

I think the Data Book is indispensable for a thru-hike, plus the few dollars it costs goes to the A.T.C. Whatever Guidbook you decide to bring (i.e. Handbook or Companion) I think you should add the data book. Last year during the dry stretches of the Trail (like half of it!) the water info in the Data Book was absoultely indispensable.

PushingDaisies
01-23-2003, 23:20
Originally posted by Jack Tarlin
The Data Book is NOT included in the Handbook, unless I'm very much mistaken.

WF changed the the format of his book. It is now in two sections, the first of which is very much like the Data Book.

You can check it out, as he has some sample pages on his site.

SGT Rock
01-23-2003, 23:45
There is an online "Example" of what is in the new "Thru-Hiker's Guide" at http://trailplace.com/sample_pages.pdf. I guess the question is easily answered by someone with a Databook comparing the sample with the Databook sections for the sections the sample shows.

I must admit I like the new version of the Guide better than the old one (my 2001 version), and I reall like including data like that more than just a shelter and town guide. And best of all this year's edition is done before the hiking season starts ;)

Ann
01-24-2003, 07:46
First THANKS for everyone's help and info...

I did call ATC and added the Data Book to my Companion order (BTW the Companion is scheduled to be out by early February..if anyone wants to know.)

Next...Pushing Daises got a chuckle out of your Harry Potter comment!!!

Next, FWIW, I cannot and will not buy anything from HWMNBN based on my own principals. I cannot possibly help support a guy who kicked me off his site because he does not tolerate free discussion or an exchange of information via link from another site. His book could be the ultimate/lightest weight/made of tyvek materiel/includes a get out of jail free card/converts to a shelter for 2/ etc. but I won't even consider it. He is on my official boycott list.

I did however want to take a look at Sgt. Rock's link to see what the book content looked like, just out of curiosity. Now here is where the TRULY FUNNY part comes in, THE LINK DOESN'T WORK!!!! Just a simple question, but: Is it set up that way, so no one might link to that info without entering his world??? Just wondering!!!!! LMAO

EDIT:
Just checked out the link myself. One MUST go directly to HWMNBN site in order to get to the link. It comes up as an OUTSIDE window, so it CANNOT be linked to outside sites. I truly do find this kind of funny. ;)

Virginian
01-25-2003, 22:56
Originally posted by Trail Yeti
Harry Potter RULES!!! I want to learn to play Quidditch, but am afraid of exposing myself in my kilt!!!
too late for that yeti--Va

peter2003
01-27-2003, 21:27
Just received WF 2003 handbook; the book is set up like the AT Data Book and companion combined. The first section list the milage and data book features; the secord part has the town and thru-hiking support info. I am very impressed with the book and will use it on my hike. I would recommend the book at the best option for easy to reach thru hiker info.

Peter

TJ aka Teej
02-08-2003, 22:01
Originally posted by max patch
The Data Book is included in The Thru-Hikers Handbook.

Wingy uses the information from the Data Book without compensating the ATC for it.
The Databook contains much more than just the mileage information Wingy takes to make his own book useful at all.
If you want to support the AT, the ATC, and the DataBook, please buy the DataBook.

Jack Tarlin
02-08-2003, 22:27
Unless I'm very much mistaken, the Data Book can be purchased directly from its publisher, the Appalachian Trail Conference.

Go to www.atconf.org Then click on"Ultimate Trail Store" and proceed from there. In my experience, book and map orders are processed efficiently and VERY promptly; plus, buying your Trail guides andother materials from the Conference directly benefits the Trail itself;if you want a Data Book or anything else, this is the way to go.

Ann
02-10-2003, 14:27
FWIW, I did call ATC and asked them to add the Data book to my awaiting Companion order. They were very nice and, in fact, they sent it out and it arrived within a few days of my call. (The Companion will be shipped separately when it comes in.)

Between the discount, the very inexpensive shipping cost and the price of the book it ended up being cheaper than if I had to drive to REI or EMS to buy it!!!!!

PS: I cannot imagine anyone NOT buying this book, for under $5 the water info, BY ITSELF, is worth the price. (And I only bought it for Maine and VT!!!)

van6497
03-14-2008, 10:45
However, the Data Book contains a ton of information NOT found in either the Handbook or the Companion, such as campsites, road crossings, and most important of all, water information.

Does this still hold true? I'm looking at the Companion and I see references to campsites, road crossings, and water. Is the the Companion just a partial listing? In short, why should I carry the Data Book with me?

Sly
03-14-2008, 12:04
Does this still hold true? I'm looking at the Companion and I see references to campsites, road crossings, and water. Is the the Companion just a partial listing? In short, why should I carry the Data Book with me?

When the Companion first came out it was a companion to the Databook with town info etc. but now the Companion has most of the data used in the Databook. No real need to carry both.

fiddlehead
03-14-2008, 22:06
Data book is for hiking the trail.
Companion is for what to expect when you get to town (i know there's some info on shelters, history, etc.) But basically, it is more like the Lonely Planet Guide to the AT.