PDA

View Full Version : Alternate routes? Aqua Blazing, Tuscarora trail, BMT and more?

susiegear
08-10-2015, 12:39
Hello all, i am planning my 2016 thru hike and am looking at alternatives to the actual AT. i am NOT a purist by any means and am only looking at getting from Georgia to Maine under my own power, whether that be by boat or walking. I like the opportunity to change it up as I go if the opportunity arises. I have looked at the Tuscarora trail and also at Aqua blazing thru the Shenandoah National Park. Are there any other alternative routes that start and end on or near the AT. im not looking for the purists to tell me why this is wrong. i am looking for adventure on the trail and I like the idea of getting on and off of the AT to see different sites and do different hikes and such. My current plan is to start on Springer Mt April 8th and hop on the BMT when i get into the Smokies and follow it to the end then back on the AT. I understand that by doing it this way I will have to use a lot more guides and maps but to me it will be worth it in the end. I will then continue North. I would like to at least be prepared to do some of these other opportunities if the mood strikes or if I just want to "get away" from the AT for a while. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Susie

Coffee
08-10-2015, 12:57
I'm not saying it is wrong at all but aquablazing the Shenandoah rather than hiking SNP isn't appealing to me because SNP is one of the highlights of the AT, is easy hiking, and there are burgers, fries, and shakes at frequent intervals!

tdoczi
08-10-2015, 12:59
the mohawk trail in CT is a short detour on former AT trail. about 25 miles maybe?

you could continue north from High Point NJ on the SRT trail, then shuttle it back to the AT when you get to the northern terminus. combining that and the tuscarora i think would give you a thru hike of that entire ridgeline (runs from the hudson river all the way MD or perhaps even VA, having various name along the way, but the AT only follows part of it).

in fact you could alternate trail it through much of NY and NJ but the alternates in many places would just be parallel to the AT and a couple miles away. could probably do likewise in the whites, but aside from a couple short patches im not sure why one would want to.

you could also be one of those people who gets to maine junction (in VT) and doesnt turn right.

Wülfgang
08-10-2015, 13:14
you could also be one of those people who gets to maine junction (in VT) and doesnt turn right.

That's a cool idea I never thought of that.

susiegear
08-10-2015, 13:16
I'm not saying it is wrong at all but aquablazing the Shenandoah rather than hiking SNP isn't appealing to me because SNP is one of the highlights of the AT, is easy hiking, and there are burgers, fries, and shakes at frequent intervals!

i hear that Shenandoah is worth hiking and not taking the river. i am going to do some more research about hiking in the Shenandoah NP but like to look at other options as I am an avid paddler as well. thanks for your input!

AO2134
08-10-2015, 13:19
Hello all, i am planning my 2016 thru hike and am looking at alternatives to the actual AT. i am NOT a purist by any means and am only looking at getting from Georgia to Maine under my own power, whether that be by boat or walking. I like the opportunity to change it up as I go if the opportunity arises. I have looked at the Tuscarora trail and also at Aqua blazing thru the Shenandoah National Park. Are there any other alternative routes that start and end on or near the AT. im not looking for the purists to tell me why this is wrong. i am looking for adventure on the trail and I like the idea of getting on and off of the AT to see different sites and do different hikes and such. My current plan is to start on Springer Mt April 8th and hop on the BMT when i get into the Smokies and follow it to the end then back on the AT. I understand that by doing it this way I will have to use a lot more guides and maps but to me it will be worth it in the end. I will then continue North. I would like to at least be prepared to do some of these other opportunities if the mood strikes or if I just want to "get away" from the AT for a while. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Susie

I haven't finished the BMT yet, but it is very different from the AT. I support this decision. This is where I would make a suggestion though. I would do the BMT to the southern border of the GSMNP and then hop on the AT there. The reason is because the AT through the smokies is flat out amazing. However, if you have done that section of the AT, I would do the full BMT and have it connect you basically (but not exactly) to Davenport Gap. It would add miles to your hike, but on a thru what does 40 miles matter?

susiegear
08-10-2015, 13:21
the mohawk trail in CT is a short detour on former AT trail. about 25 miles maybe?

you could continue north from High Point NJ on the SRT trail, then shuttle it back to the AT when you get to the northern terminus. combining that and the tuscarora i think would give you a thru hike of that entire ridgeline (runs from the hudson river all the way MD or perhaps even VA, having various name along the way, but the AT only follows part of it).

in fact you could alternate trail it through much of NY and NJ but the alternates in many places would just be parallel to the AT and a couple miles away. could probably do likewise in the whites, but aside from a couple short patches im not sure why one would want to.

i will look into the Mohawk Trail. i had not yet read about that one. I definitely want to go thru the whites on the AT as it looks to be absolutely amazing. When you say I could get to the Maine Junction and not turn right, would I be staying on the Long Trail? I will have to research more on that but it sounds interesting. Thanks for your input!

Susie

susiegear
08-10-2015, 13:32
[QUOTE=AO2134;1994867]I haven't finished the BMT yet, but it is very different from the AT. I support this decision. This is where I would make a suggestion though. I would do the BMT to the southern border of the GSMNP and then hop on the AT there. The reason is because the AT through the smokies is flat out amazing. However, if you have done that section of the AT, I would do the full BMT and have it connect you basically (but not exactly) to Davenport Gap. It would add miles to your hike, but on a thru what does 40 miles matter?[/QUOTE

i thought about doing it this way but my concern is the regulations on the AT in the Smokies. From my research so far it looks as if the BMT has more actual camping sites that are not restricted to shelters. The rules of the shelters is not very appealing. I would hate to be in the shelter sound asleep and have a section hiker show up and kick me out into the rain. i would rather just be allowed to set up my hammock and hit the bed and not have to worry about it. maybe i am overthinking this, please correct me if I am. Thanks!

Susie

Jeff
08-10-2015, 13:42
The BMT is fairly well maintained in Georgia...much less so north of the border. Differing from the AT, there are no blazes in the wilderness sections of the BMT. Navigation skills are needed often.

mikec
08-10-2015, 14:33
I've section hiked a good deal of the Tuscarora Trail between Mathews Arm, SNP and just north of Harrisburg, PA. Resupply is an issue along this trail. There are some short term resupply points but they are not close to the trail. And there are only a few post offices even remotely close to the Tuscarora to send mail drops to. I'm sure that someone has taken this alternative route to the AT but you have to be a fast hiker and carry a lot of food.

AO2134
08-10-2015, 14:52
[QUOTE=AO2134;1994867]I haven't finished the BMT yet, but it is very different from the AT. I support this decision. This is where I would make a suggestion though. I would do the BMT to the southern border of the GSMNP and then hop on the AT there. The reason is because the AT through the smokies is flat out amazing. However, if you have done that section of the AT, I would do the full BMT and have it connect you basically (but not exactly) to Davenport Gap. It would add miles to your hike, but on a thru what does 40 miles matter?[/QUOTE

i thought about doing it this way but my concern is the regulations on the AT in the Smokies. From my research so far it looks as if the BMT has more actual camping sites that are not restricted to shelters. The rules of the shelters is not very appealing. I would hate to be in the shelter sound asleep and have a section hiker show up and kick me out into the rain. i would rather just be allowed to set up my hammock and hit the bed and not have to worry about it. maybe i am overthinking this, please correct me if I am. Thanks!

Susie

certainly a possibility; however, I don't think you are allowed to tree hang anywhere in the park, but maybe that is just the AT.

tdoczi
08-10-2015, 14:57
That's a cool idea I never thought of that.

seems to me like a few people a year either decide they dont have time to make K and dont want to flip, or they realize they can walk to the Canadian border and this seems more appealing and they go for it. anytime ive read the logs in a shelter around there i tend to find an entry or two to that effect.

tdoczi
08-10-2015, 14:59
i hear that Shenandoah is worth hiking and not taking the river. i am going to do some more research about hiking in the Shenandoah NP but like to look at other options as I am an avid paddler as well. thanks for your input!

i dont think its as common but maybe one could aqua blaze front royal to harper's ferry. youd be missing out on much less good hiking, but it is a much shorter trip.

tdoczi
08-10-2015, 15:00
i will look into the Mohawk Trail. i had not yet read about that one. I definitely want to go thru the whites on the AT as it looks to be absolutely amazing. When you say I could get to the Maine Junction and not turn right, would I be staying on the Long Trail? I will have to research more on that but it sounds interesting. Thanks for your input!

Susie

precisely. follow the LT to it's terminus in canada. theres no easy way to the AT from there though and youd miss a bunch of AT, but, some people do it.

Dogwood
08-10-2015, 17:34
YEAH! Another willing to forge an alternative path untethereing themselves to the boxed in convenience of following the white blazed beaten down path that declares here's the AT and the ONLY worthy AT thru-traveling "experience" thinking. Thank you for your greater adventuresome and exploratory spirit. Don't let anyone put you down lower than their level because you traveled your way, hiked your way! Do be honest about your adventure though.

"I like the opportunity to change it up as I go if the opportunity arises. I have looked at the Tuscarora trail and also at Aqua blazing thru the Shenandoah National Park. Are there any other alternative routes that start and end on or near the AT... I am looking for adventure on the trail and I like the idea of getting on and off of the AT to see different sites and do different hikes and such. My current plan is to start on Springer Mt April 8th and hop on the BMT when i get into the Smokies and follow it to the end then back on the AT. I understand that by doing it this way I will have to use a lot more guides and maps but to me it will be worth it in the end. I will then continue North. I would like to at least be prepared to do some of these other opportunities if the mood strikes or if I just want to "get away" from the AT for a while. Any help is appreciated!"

I'm a kindred spirit. All that's underlined also describes my thru-hiking modus operandi as it has been for the last 8 yrs or so. I try to structure hikes with some extra time built in so I can include additional hikes, trail mileage, and other experiences into a bigger picture thru-hike/thru traveling experience. I'll often allow enough time to hike the "official" purist route as well as alternates so I can compare the official with alternates. BUT, additional hiking opps are not the only additional worthwhile experiences to add to a main thru-hike experience!

I sincerely believe if more thru-hikers, especially AT thru-hikers, realized THRU-HIKES ARE NOT JUST ABOUT HIKING, and behaviorally embraced it more fully, more would complete their originally intended hikes, MORE ENJOYABLY, and have greater deeper more well rounded more memorable experiences beyond the accomplishment and enjoyment of just LD hiking. THRU-HIKING, WHEN APPROACHED WITH THIS REALIZATION, WOULD NEVER BE PERCEIVED AS BORING or A FORCED DEATH MARCH. Additionally, taking short periods off hiking when on a thru hike, especially for Newbie LD hikers, potentially allows for more gentle psychological and physical incremental adjustments to the rigors of LD hiking and the MANY other day to day changes compared to the non trail lifestyle.

Here's what I can offer. You'll need to review maps probably many at times. Here are SOME of the additional experiences I had on a AT thru-hike. I'm leaving a lot out!

First, to mix it up, I advise you take in as many overlooks off the AT as you can rather than taking that all too typical often stressed rushed thru-hiking approach where you're not in the moment. I've seen SO MANY LD hikers whoa are I'll call them tweaker hikers, always kinetic never being able to fully unwind often having a go go go gotta be going gotta be somewhere else gotta be doing something else mindset. RELAX. Going with the flow can be good for you. Breathe. Take it in deeply into your heart and soul. Don't buy into the bull shart that if anything is worth doing it's worth doing fast. What fkin nonsense. The quality of a hiking experience is just as important as the speed in which one hikes a large quantity of miles. Attaining these two things simultaneously does NOT always so neatly line up.

BTW, depending on what's financially included, I spent $3300 -3700 on this journey. I evolved, as I still am, as a hiker on this hike. I started off with a conventional wt kit carrying 62 lbs. After some time, I was firmly hiking as an ULer with a sub 30 lb kit wt(this was by 2006 standards). No doubt you will evolve too. It took me 4 months 3 wks, was my longest hike to date, and I summitted Mt K Oct 15. I hiked fast, well above the 2 MPH avg pace, at times sustaining a 3.5 mph pace, and incredibly slow at other times. With the original intention to put in a big mileage day one time, which is 30+ miles for me, I made it all of 4 miles. Hey, plants were calling out to me. I had to know what they were. NO REGRETS!

First, review the route/AT thru-hike Nimblewill Nomad did. You'll get some ideas on the front and rear ends as to possibilities of what he did which was sandwiching a typical AT thru-hike in the middle of a much longer International AT thru-hike. Nimblewill Nomad is one of those trail legends to me for so many reasons. He lives the LD lifestyle. He has humbly hiked more trail/route miles on more widely varied trails/routes/conditions throughout the U.S. than anyone else I'm aware of. Period. He's not the fastest nor the slowest, nor the most well known, and certainly does not publicly make a circus out of his experiences! He RIGHTLY recognizes a trail, I'll rename it the XYZ trail, does NOT necessarily end at either Springer Mt or Mt Katahdin.

It's easily noticeable and rather easy logistically, being documented, to start a AT thru-hike at the southern terminus of the Pinhoti Tr(PT) in Alabama for example. Taking it north the Benton MacKaye Tr(BMT) junction. Making the decision at that junction whether to take the BMT to Springer Mt or to GSMNP. If you decide you want to deviate off the AT in GSMNP and get back on at Davenport Gap at the northern GSMNP boundary all is needed is the one Nat Geo Trails Illustrated(NG TI) GSMNP Map 229. Free maps are available for the PT. Two other maps NG TI are available for the BMT, and that I used, for BMT hikes as described. With imagination a huge number of alternative routes through GSMNP are possible other than the AT or BMT. Don't limit your choices of routes to the more well known or specifically named routes!

Likewise, in S NP alternative routes are possible. For example, on a AT thru-hike I hiked the "official" AT getting an escarpment, Shenandoah Valley, peregrine falcon, blackberry milkshake, AT shelter, chicken sandwich, Skyland Lodge, AT crowd, etc experience, worthy in all ways in its own right, but also spent 2 1/2 additional days doing a Old Rag, White Oak Canyon, waterfall extravaganza solo loop hike in 2 days of torrential downpours with no one else on the loop. Loved it! I also threw in a day hitch to Luray Caverns by hitching from SNP. A NG TI SNP map has all the S NP trail possibilities on it. Mixing it up is what my hikes are all about!

Since I'm a waterfall fanatic, I went off the AT via Blue Blazed side trails or by other trails taking in an additional 40+ named waterfalls not immediately along or adjacent to the AT proper.

There are many rafting/kayaking/canoeing/paddling/floating(tire tube float for example) opps on/near the AT. Here are some: Nantahala Nolichucky, French Broad, James, Potomac, Shenandoah, Susquehanna, Lehigh Delaware, White, Androscoggin, Kennebec, Rivers

Hitched into Asheville NC taking in the downtown scene, hiked all the trails in and around NC Arboretum, local history, organic farmer's market, borrowed a fishing pole and bought a day fishing license fishing the French Broad River(caught several trout for dinner), and spent a full day touring the largest private home in the U.S. - the Vanderbilt Estate and gardens. Later, this foray into Asheville prominently figured in to me living in Asheville for 17 months.

In Hot Springs I soaked in, well, what the town is named for, the HOT SPRINGS.

Consider the Gulf Hagas alternate. Check here too: http://appalachiantrials.com/blue-blazes-appalachian-trail/
http://planetanimals.com/logue/Blublaze.html https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rainh2os-2012-Appalachian-Trail-Hike-Best-Blue-Blaze-EVER/180547586481 http://www.blueblazebikeandshuttle.com/bike_shuttle_rates.html Heck, want to throw in one heck of a fun bike ride into your hike you can do that too. Consider the Virginia Creeper Tr.

I mixed up my AT thru-hike by taking the train into Washington DC from Harpers Ferry for 2 1/2 days over the fourth of July. WOW, that was awesome going to the National Arboretum(I wanted to visit there for the past 20 yrs), Smithsonian, Native American Indian Museum, playing frisbee with 100 other frisbee enthusiasts right below the Washington Monument on its lawn, staying at a inexpensive Washington Hostel International(HI) with all the other travelers most of whom were foreigners(Ohh those foreign Ukranian, Argentinian, French, etc traveling females!), and sitting at the feet of Abraham Lincoln on the Lincoln Memorial steps with people from all religions, nations, colors, and creeds watching the fireworks light up the sky. I asked more than 25 other thru-hikers to join me. Only two others decided to.

In NJ I stopped hiking for two days volunteering with the NJ/NY Trail Conference building bridges and fixing boardwalks. I saw some of the same NJ/NY Trail Conference crew near Pauling NY and volunteered an addition day doing trail maintenance. I learned a lot during those three days mainly that the AT exists because of all those that CHOOSE to GIVE BACK to trail systems.

Walked through a zoo. I was kinda sad about it having very mixed feelings at that stage in the hike about this. I wanted to open the cage doors and let the animals go free. How naive I was about many things.

At the Bear Mountain Bridge I hitched into Peekskill NY catching the train from there into NYC to eat at a Manhattan restaurant, Josephinas, and take in a play, Phantom of the Opera. When I got back to the AT I spent(needed) a day at the Greymoor Friary to decompress. I got a lot of stares in NYC wearing my backpack in full thru-hiker garb and some living on the trail disarray.

At Hanover NH did a day hike with the Dartmouth Hiking Club. The next day a bunch of thru-hikers, including myself, and the Dartmouth students played a bunch of frisbee football games on the university lawn. Then, from Hanover, after two nights on Baltimore Jack's couch, took a bus to White River Junction taking the train into Manhattan, the ferry across to the Statue of Liberty, and then taking a ferry to NJ where I took another train to the Jersey Shore for my brother's wedding on the Atlantic Ocean beach.

All off the AT proper, I took in five additional peak bagging trips in The Whites and had one night at Zeacliff falls Hut.

In ME I chose to experience all of Official AT and all the Grafton Notch Loop near this Loop(near Old Speck MT). I did the same thing around Gulf Hagas which wasn't logistically the easiest to do without retracing much addition trail mileage. I chose not finishing at Mt K either. My AT thru included going beyond Mt K hiking Knife's Edge in the fall.

I could go on and on. While I enjoyed reminiscing that hike that was not me tooting my own horn in a long winded post. I gave you some of what I did to encourage your own creativity, to spur your imagination, and to design a journey of your choosing that BEST suits YOU so you can have the BEST experiences YOU can have while knowing you can also contribute to something larger than yourself, to demonstrate thru-hiking is not just about hiking.

Thru-hiking is so much more than hiking! Sometimes we can forget that especially on websites like this. Mixing it up is GREAT! To what degree you want to experience other things beyond the joys of LD hiking is determined and limited by your own creativity and imagination. Go create! HYOH.

Dogwood
08-10-2015, 17:56

i dont think its as common but maybe one could aqua blaze front royal to harper's ferry. youd be missing out on much less good hiking, but it is a much shorter trip.

I've heard mixed reviews comparing the experience of hiking the AT through S NP compared to Aqua blazing the AT through S NP by paddling the Shenendoah River. Very few folks I've talked to have done both. From what I can tell both experiences have merit but are certainly different. Quite frankly I'd want to garner opinions based on those that have fully done both. I discussed the experiences I had on a AT thru-hike in S NP but I have not paddled the Shenenadoah River as a substitute to hiking the AT. BTW, depending on temps(both air and water) I've known AT thru-hikers that have inner tube floated the river. They said they had blast. But again I had a blast on my hiking experiences in S NP that included my own watery adventures. See above.

I've known maybe 20 or so on NOBO AT thru-hikes, usually faster or experienced in some way hikers, who not only went north at Maine Junction hiking all the Vermont/Long Trail(LT) to the Canadian Border hiking all of the LT but hitched back down to the junction, and continued successfully NOBO on the AT to Mt K. I wanted to do this but realized it too late having not organized my AT thru well enough far enough in advance to allow for also doing a LT thru-hike in the midst of a AT thru-hike. I wanted so bad to head north at the junction. Se la vie. The following yr had me thru-hiking the LT SOBO though.

Starchild
08-10-2015, 18:23
There is a possibility of another significant aqua blaze in the SoBo direction along the Hoosotonic in MA/CT

Sarcasm the elf
08-10-2015, 18:45
There is a possibility of another significant aqua blaze in the SoBo direction along the Hoosotonic in MA/CT

I didn't have an answer to this so I just checked google and this was the first hit it mentions 6 or 10 mile trips along the housatonic in northern CT with start and stop points that are very close to the trail

http://www.clarkeoutdoors.com/

I don't know if there would be the possibility of "significant" aquablazing in CT simply because the river has too many Dams, many of which are for hydroelectric.

Sarcasm the elf
08-10-2015, 18:53
The Mohawk trail in CT would add a few miles and is a tougher hike than the A.T. in that section, however I also think the Mohawk is a much more interesting section of trail through some beautiful parts of the state. The section of the A.T. That you would skip is comparatively dull. The issue is that the campsites are supposed to be used by permit only (permit is free from the state environmental office, but needs to be obtained in advance) stealthing in the area is questionable since it's a mix of public and private land and there are certain places where I know they will prosecute, especially at the southern end of the mohawk .

Some discussion about the mohawk and camping/permits can be found in this earlier thread:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/90824-Connecticut-Mohawk-loop-advice

Starchild
08-10-2015, 19:17
I didn't have an answer to this so I just checked google and this was the first hit it mentions 6 or 10 mile trips along the housatonic in northern CT with start and stop points that are very close to the trail

http://www.clarkeoutdoors.com/

I don't know if there would be the possibility of "significant" aquablazing in CT simply because the river has too many Dams, many of which are for hydroelectric.

There are fairly easy portages around the HE dams )and other someimes abandoned watermill dams) in the MA section, I have to admit besides hiking the trail and driving I never looked into the CT sections.

Southerner
08-10-2015, 19:25
Here are a few that pop to my mind (mostly in Va. where I spend my time outdoors):

1.) Aqua-blaze from Buchanan to Snowden (US 501/ Va. 130 crossing) on the James River. The river has several smaller rapids, mostly Class I-IIs with one Class III, and there is an outfitter right in the middle of Buchanan that could probably hook you up with gear.
2.) Add the Peaks of Otter (would be excluded if you take option 1 above) -- Depart the AT at Little Cove Mountain then hike using trails and forestry service roads (a little off-trail, too) to the Peaks. Sharp Top and Flat Top have exceptional views, Fallingwater Cascades is a nice waterfall assuming decent water flow, and the lodge has a restaurant.
3.) Add Apple Orchard Falls (would be excluded if you take option 1) -- Take the Cornelius Creek Trail, loop to the falls, then rejoin the AT near Sunset Field.
4.) Add Devil's Marbleyard (either as an out-and-back or a loop using the Glenwood Horse Trail) (would be excluded with option 1) -- this is a cool, giant rock field / talus slope with house-sized boulders and views.
5.) Take the Virginia Creeper Trail north out of Damascus to Whitetop-Laurel Gorge -- you don't miss anything big on the AT, and the VCT goes through pleasant farmland and along cascading streams.
6.) Add Hawksbill summit, Old Rag, and White Oak Canyon in Shenandoah NP if you decide against aqua-blazing the section on the Shenandoah River.
7.) Take the old AT north of Buzzard Rock on Whitetop to the road, then follow the road back to the AT. You stay on the exposed ridge much longer.

Just a few off the top of my head. I like this thread!

Dogwood
08-10-2015, 19:37

I knew there was a river in CT I was leaving out. :)

Sarcasm the elf
08-10-2015, 19:40
There are fairly easy portages around the HE dams )and other someimes abandoned watermill dams) in the MA section, I have to admit besides hiking the trail and driving I never looked into the CT sections.

It's definitly an interesting question that I want to look into more. I've been told that there are actually some very good rapids on short sections of the Housatonic in Connecticut, however most of the parts I've been to have all been relatively flat. I'll have to ask around when I see my buddies who kayak in the area.

Dogwood
08-10-2015, 19:44
Here are a few that pop to my mind (mostly in Va. where I spend my time outdoors):

1.) Aqua-blaze from Buchanan to Snowden (US 501/ Va. 130 crossing) on the James River. The river has several smaller rapids, mostly Class I-IIs with one Class III, and there is an outfitter right in the middle of Buchanan that could probably hook you up with gear.
2.) Add the Peaks of Otter (would be excluded if you take option 1 above) -- Depart the AT at Little Cove Mountain then hike using trails and forestry service roads (a little off-trail, too) to the Peaks. Sharp Top and Flat Top have exceptional views, Fallingwater Cascades is a nice waterfall assuming decent water flow, and the lodge has a restaurant.
3.) Add Apple Orchard Falls (would be excluded if you take option 1) -- Take the Cornelius Creek Trail, loop to the falls, then rejoin the AT near Sunset Field.
4.) Add Devil's Marbleyard (either as an out-and-back or a loop using the Glenwood Horse Trail) (would be excluded with option 1) -- this is a cool, giant rock field / talus slope with house-sized boulders and views.
5.) Take the Virginia Creeper Trail north out of Damascus to Whitetop-Laurel Gorge -- you don't miss anything big on the AT, and the VCT goes through pleasant farmland and along cascading streams.
6.) Add Hawksbill summit, Old Rag, and White Oak Canyon in Shenandoah NP if you decide against aqua-blazing the section on the Shenandoah River.
7.) Take the old AT north of Buzzard Rock on Whitetop to the road, then follow the road back to the AT. You stay on the exposed ridge much longer.

Just a few off the top of my head. I like this thread!

Me too.

A good aspect of having so many hiking alternates or alternative and additional experiences/activities to enjoy in VA is that it breaks up what some thru-hikers consider a tedious stretch in the same state. By including some of these options the VA thru-hiking miles, monotony to some, are broken up chunked down into easier to assimilate tasty flavorful bites.

handlebar
08-10-2015, 20:20
I hiked the Tuscarora Trail sobo as part of a loop using the AT to close the loop from Matthews Arm CG in Shenandoah NP and Darlington Shelter just short of Duncannon. I did not have any trouble with resupply, but I did get a ride into the ALDHA Gathering which that year was at Shippensburg Univ. where I resupplied. I could, however, have resupplied at Spring Run PA where I got the ride into Shippensburg. The TT can be overgrown with brambles in spots and had a lot of rocks and challenges in water sources since it follows ridgelines offering a lot of views. There are several nice, new shelters courtesy of the Potomac Appalachian Trail Club who also offer excellent maps and a guidebook. You will likely meet very few people on the trail.

tdoczi
08-11-2015, 08:50
I've known maybe 20 or so on NOBO AT thru-hikes, usually faster or experienced in some way hikers, who not only went north at Maine Junction hiking all the Vermont/Long Trail(LT) to the Canadian Border hiking all of the LT but hitched back down to the junction, and continued successfully NOBO on the AT to Mt K. I wanted to do this but realized it too late having not organized my AT thru well enough far enough in advance to allow for also doing a LT thru-hike in the midst of a AT thru-hike. I wanted so bad to head north at the junction. Se la vie. The following yr had me thru-hiking the LT SOBO though.

slightly off topic, but had an idea for a possible interesting long but shorter than an AT thru hike- start at the northern terminus of the LT and end at katahdin. take a couple detours in the whites (since you arent hiking the AT anyway) and think of how many 4Ks one could bag.

back on topic- forgot the south taconic trail. that could be an alternate too, though i dont know that its better than the corresponding section of AT. theres also a similar trail further north in MA called the taconic crest trail. ive only read about this trail, and very little at that. but seeing as how boring the AT through much of MA is it might be an interesting option, though again, i think it would involve at least 1 car ride.

Tennessee Viking
08-11-2015, 09:17
Laurel Fork Trail from the Buck Mtn area to Dennis Cove. Requires some foot to waist deep fording.

Iron Mtn Trail. Cut off the AT near Cross Mtn and cut over to Iron Mtn Trail to Damascus or further. Very remote and less maintained trail.

Damascus to Whitetop on the Creeper

Add the Pinhoti and BMT to the Springer area

You can hike the MST and bike Blue Ridge Parkway from the Smokies to Virginia. But you will be missing a lot. And its hard logistics since you can't camp on the BRP right of way.

Starchild
08-11-2015, 09:39

back on topic- forgot the south taconic trail. that could be an alternate too, though i dont know that its better than the corresponding section of AT. theres also a similar trail further north in MA called the taconic crest trail. ive only read about this trail, and very little at that. but seeing as how boring the AT through much of MA is it might be an interesting option, though again, i think it would involve at least 1 car ride.

The South Taconic Trail is wonderful and has a great cabin to stay in however this is also one of the best AT sections, it only connected to the AT by one cross trail, thus requiring a road walk or hitch to make it from one to the other. It's worth it, but so is the AT and the AT is easier to thru. The S. Taconic Trail is about to get a extention on the southern end ending at Rudd Pond

susiegear
08-11-2015, 10:14
You guys are great! thank you so much for the well thought responses! This site never ceases to amaze me. I truly appreciate your tips and sharing your experiences. i will look further into the options listed and see where it takes me. I appreciate not hearing about how i should stick to the AT the entire time and pass every white blaze. I am learning more everyday about awesome things to do and see near the trail but not on the trail.

For me this trip will be more about adventure and being more free to change my plans at the drop of a hat. My only requirement for myself is that i get to Maine under my own power,hiking mostly, boat, bike.......unicycle.......who knows what might come up but I am really looking forward to the adventure!

Again, you guys are awesome! Thank you!

Dogwood
08-11-2015, 20:32
Met a unicyclist on the AT around Blood Mt in GA. He had gone three days unicycling 26, 18, 22 miles each day. He said he was planning to go on and on seeing how far he could get. Never saw him after that. I suppose someone said something to him about no wheeled propulsion on the AT. I wonder if he met Tipi Walter who surely chewed him out? :)

Within a couple days north of there came across a freckle faced red haired girl with braids in her hair resembling Pipi Longstocking replete with knee high rainbow hued leggings bouncing along on the AT...ON A POGO STICK. I heard her coming my way having absolutely no clue what was heading my way. Is that is that what I think what I think it is? Yeah it's a girl, a red haired girl on a damn pogo stick. boinga boinga boinga boinga . Jaw drop. "Hey hello mister", she said bouncing by me like what I was seeing I should be accustomed to where she then shortly stopped where she applied a few drops of oil to her "machine." We struck up some talk where she told me her name was Dorothy. I was like what the f--k. Twilght Zone.

The AT. LOL. You can't make this stuff up.

tdoczi
08-11-2015, 21:54
Within a couple days north of there came across a freckle faced red haired girl with braids in her hair resembling Pipi Longstocking replete with knee high rainbow hued leggings bouncing along on the AT...ON A POGO STICK. I heard her coming my way having absolutely no clue what was heading my way. Is that is that what I think what I think it is? Yeah it's a girl, a red haired girl on a damn pogo stick. boinga boinga boinga boinga . Jaw drop. "Hey hello mister", she said bouncing by me like what I was seeing I should be accustomed to where she then shortly stopped where she applied a few drops of oil to her "machine." We struck up some talk where she told me her name was Dorothy. I was like what the f--k. Twilght Zone.

damn, i would pink blaze that. if i could keep up.