PDA

View Full Version : Amateur Radio Along the Trail - Ham on the Trail ???

g00gle
08-10-2015, 13:16
Has anyone had any experience with radio on the trail?

I was listening to the weekly re-broadcast of Newsline last night on 2M and a thought struck me over the head... Perhaps it really is possible to get some air time without adding any weight or weather concern for electronics.

FRANK AND LYNN SKINNER: TAKING IT FROM THE TOP

Frank and Lynn Skinner, a mountain-climbing couple from Colorado Springs, the notion of Peak-to-Peak power means something a little different.

Frank Skinner, K-ZERO-J-Q-Z, (K0JQZ) a retired Air Force master sergeant now working as a civilian on Peterson Air Force Base, spends time cimbing the rocks in the Pikes Peak region with his wife Lynn, K-C-ZERO-Y-Q-F, (KC0YQF) a special education teacher. The couple takes along a miniature radio inside a small metal tin that used to hold breath mints and are aided by a 9-volt battery and a 35-foot wire. It’s enough power and equipment for them to send and receive Morse Code, one of the modes they use. The higher the altitude, generally, the less the interference.

The Skinners have become a top-competing team of activators in Summits on the Air, with Frank Skinner in 32nd place nationally, with 860 points, and Lynn Skinner in 47th place. Her 528 points have made her the top female activator in the United States.

SOURCE: Amateur Radio Newsline Report August 7 2015 (http://static1.1.sqspcdn.com/static/f/1256345/26446383/1438908896207/nsln1971.txt)

Of course, I have a $30 dual-band handheld that I could take (and not really miss if something happened to it) for 2 Meter and 70cm. But I'm not thinking there's going to be a lot of repeater access up in them thar hills... :D

But the news article did get me thinking about CW potential from quite a few locations along the trail. I am horribly slow, bordering on completely inept. However, the potential fun certainly could be motivation to start practicing again.

Has anyone had any experiences at all with ham on the trail?

Another Kevin
08-10-2015, 14:11
Has anyone had any experience with radio on the trail?

I was listening to the weekly re-broadcast of Newsline last night on 2M and a thought struck me over the head... Perhaps it really is possible to get some air time without adding any weight or weather concern for electronics.

But the news article did get me thinking about CW potential from quite a few locations along the trail. I am horribly slow, bordering on completely inept. However, the potential fun certainly could be motivation to start practicing again.

Has anyone had any experiences at all with ham on the trail?

Here's an old thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/98251-Summits-on-the-Air-%28Ham-Radio%29) that branched off from another thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/98222-Rescue-from-Thomas-Knob-Shelter-Sept-7-2013?p=1526067#post1526067) when I asked about the topic a while back. I've never really chased the subject farther than asking about it. I wind up having enough distractions when I hike, with photography, archaeology and mapmaking already taking time away from moving. Still, I might pick it up again at some point. In any case, the takeaway was that if you're already on a mountaintop, who needs a repeater, and if you're activating a rare location on SOTA, you might just find yourself on the bottom of a pileup.

I still might haul some sort of radio up Halcott one of these days. As far as I know, it's never been activated. (The fact that it's viewless and trail-less might have something to do with it.)

73 de KE9TV/2, Kevin

Slo-go'en
08-10-2015, 15:16
Google "KD1JV Mountain topper" the smallest, lightest, most battery efficient, feature packed three band CW rig in existence. Which I just happened to design. It is a very popular rig for SOTA operators.

g00gle
08-10-2015, 15:43
Wowsers!

Read both of the other threads Kevin posted and was already searching for KD1JV's MTR before coming back and finding the next post.

Admittedly, K2FR had me (temporarily) fantasizing about dragging the Baofeng and a decent external ant out there with me, but that passed quickly.

The Mountain Topper is gorgeous and has a lot of appeal (don't think I've drooled that much since I first read about the KX3 years back. However, both seem like they would be a bit beyond my current building skills. And certainly above my keying skills!)

Maybe I should get back to CW, grab that General I've been putting off, and seriously consider this... Certainly would add a whole new dimension of fun to the hike.

The things is, I've only had my ticket for a little over a year (late starter) but I've been chasing waves for a very long time. Used to spend a lot of time over on the RR website and learned a great amount there. But I'm just not sure I could build a decent MTR rig. Seems a little more daunting than an Altoids kit. And even if I could, I'm not sure I would do it any justice with only about 6-months to polish up my keying and receiving, as I was never very good to begin with.

On the other hand... That MTR is beautiful on so many levels. I've seen a lot of custom portable rigs (always fascinated by them) but never one that nice that wasn't commercial - and I don't recall ever seeing anyone make a three-band model. Very Awesome!

Just out of curiosity, how much do the plans go for?

73's
KD8YBV

Disco
08-10-2015, 15:59
I haven't tried it yet, but would like to ... maybe Field Day next year, if not sooner.
I did a brief member search here on WB under "K" and found the following licensed hams who use their callsign:
K4KAM
K6VOI
K4OD
KI0EH
This list is not complete, only just a beginning.
Other hams who have been mentioned in posts that I found are:
Another Kevin - KE9TV/2
matthew2000tx - K5NON
smkymtns - KI4SVM
Slo-go'en - KD1JV
Snowleopard - ??

Rigs mentioned are: Elecraft KX3, X1M QRP Transceiver, Yaesu FT-817, Yeasu FT-857D

73 de KB3DZH, Disco

kf1wv
08-10-2015, 18:50
Awesome, more hams!

73 de KF1WV

Slo-go'en
08-10-2015, 19:29
Wowsers!

On the other hand... That MTR is beautiful on so many levels. I've seen a lot of custom portable rigs (always fascinated by them) but never one that nice that wasn't commercial - and I don't recall ever seeing anyone make a three-band model. Very Awesome!

Just out of curiosity, how much do the plans go for?
73's
KD8YBV

Learning CW (or more accurately, Morse code) can take a while (musically inclined people pick it up pretty fast) but it is the most efficient means of communication with simple equipment.

Even though the MTR is very light, adding the required accessories of batteries, antenna (and tuner), Morse key and headphones, the whole package can weigh a pound. An extra pound is a lot for a luxury item which may not get too much use. At the end of a long day, you mostly just want to eat and go to sleep. Playing radio takes too much energy. This is an activity more suited to short hikes, like weekends or day hikes.

The MTR is sold as limited edition kits, which generally sell out in a matter of hours since I only do one or two batches a year. However, I have licensed the design to be commercially available as a fully assembled and tested unit, which sells for $250.

ocourse
08-10-2015, 20:27
You can make it into repeaters fairly often, but of course you have to have a list of repeater frequencies and tones. A better plan is to pre-program nearby repeaters along the way. I have found that using a simple flexible jpole that is elevated makes a lot of difference. I would also say don't attempt it unless you are are on a ridge.

kf1wv
08-10-2015, 20:56
WA3WSJ AT Repeater List: http://wa3wsj.homestead.com/AT2mList.html . (One glance at his home page and you'll be in heaven!)

g00gle
08-10-2015, 20:56
However, I have licensed the design to be commercially available as a fully assembled and tested unit, which sells for $250.
That's a very reasonable price for an assembled unit, especially the with the features. Very cool of you to make it more available!

You can make it into repeaters fairly often, but of course you have to have a list of repeater frequencies and tones. A better plan is to pre-program nearby repeaters along the way. I have found that using a simple flexible jpole that is elevated makes a lot of difference. I would also say don't attempt it unless you are are on a ridge.

Alas, I think this may have been a case of wishful thinking more than practicality. The repeaters wouldn't (shouldn't) be too hard to find online. And I'm pretty sure my Slim Jim (http://www.n9tax.com/Slim%20Jim%20Info.html) could do some miraculous things if I tossed in to a tree on a ridge (I'd actually love to find out.) But I know nothing of distance hiking and only a little about the trail. So, when experienced hikers tell me I should reconsider something, I'm often left with little choice but to do just that.

On the other hand, it's great to see so many hams around here! 31643

g00gle
08-10-2015, 20:59
WA3WSJ AT Repeater List: http://wa3wsj.homestead.com/AT2mList.html . (One glance at his home page and you'll be in heaven!)

Ahhhhhh maaaaannnnnn!

I was just trying to give this idea up and then you go and show me that...

That is just a beautiful list!

Oh dear...

Another Kevin
08-10-2015, 23:35
Google "KD1JV Mountain topper" the smallest, lightest, most battery efficient, feature packed three band CW rig in existence. Which I just happened to design. It is a very popular rig for SOTA operators.

Wait a second... You're Steve KD1JV? The guy who did the MMR-40, and the ATtiny keyer, and the ultrasimple 4046-based GDO with the LED as a readout so there was no need for a meter? (And the Mountain Topper, of course.) I'm in the presence of one of the homebrew gods!

rocketsocks
08-10-2015, 23:38
Wait a second... You're Steve KD1JV? The guy who did the MMR-40, and the ATtiny keyer, and the ultrasimple 4046-based GDO with the LED as a readout so there was no need for a meter? (And the Mountain Topper, of course.) I'm in the presence of one of the homebrew gods!
Yup, sometimes the mountains really do come to Mohammad...nice lookin' unit the Mountain topper.

kf1wv
08-11-2015, 05:30

Yup, that's your man!

K1YPP is another WB member.

vamelungeon
08-11-2015, 06:45
I haven't tried it yet, but would like to ... maybe Field Day next year, if not sooner.
I did a brief member search here on WB under "K" and found the following licensed hams who use their callsign:
K4KAM
K6VOI
K4OD
KI0EH
This list is not complete, only just a beginning.
Other hams who have been mentioned in posts that I found are:
Another Kevin - KE9TV/2
matthew2000tx - K5NON
smkymtns - KI4SVM
Slo-go'en - KD1JV
Snowleopard - ??

Rigs mentioned are: Elecraft KX3, X1M QRP Transceiver, Yaesu FT-817, Yeasu FT-857D

73 de KB3DZH, Disco

Add me, N4AUD

Disco
08-11-2015, 09:04
Very sorry I omitted K0TAZ and K1YPP from my list, they were first on my list but deleted by erroneous 'copy and paste'. I didn't go too far into the K's and of course there are A's and W's to look through, too. Not to mention DX hams who may be WB members!

Disco
08-11-2015, 09:06
Oops, vamelungeon N4AUD reminds me that there are N's to look through, too.

Snowleopard
08-11-2015, 14:11
Snowleopard = K1CMF

I've got a Youkits HB1A, 7 and 14 mhz, 5W CW only. I thought I would use it for SOTA (summits on the air) activations on day hikes, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I will be bringing it on a vacation in Maine next week and activating one or more islands (Mill Island, ME).

Years ago, a friend and I carried a 2 meter Gonset Communicator I (AM) and a car battery to the top of Bear Mt., Conn. For you young folks, these were NOT lightweight.

Does anybody have a recommendation for a decent light weight CW straight key?

Walter, K1CMF

Another Kevin
08-11-2015, 16:39
Oops, vamelungeon N4AUD reminds me that there are N's to look through, too.

And I vaguely remember seeing non-US calls, too.

Arden
08-31-2015, 22:23
Throw the antenna up with your bear bag! Dual purpose, one toss.
Only issue with throwing the antenna up into the trees is the feed line. If you're going to use RG58, then it should work fine - but if you are trying to save weight and go with a llghter - thinner coax like RG-174, then you will have severe losses at 70cm. Not so bad a 2m though. Best bet is to get yourself up high so you don't have to use a long feed line.

I've carried my 2m Yaesu VX-150 on backpacking trips. Never used anything but a 1/4 whip on the radio though. It's great when you're on a mountaintop, or there is a repeater on one nearby. 2m gets through where cell phones won't, so could be a life saver in case of emergency too.

Now I've got an FT-60R dual-band 2m/70cm and thinking of taking it on a 2-4 day hike on the AT in NY. I have to see what my pack weight comes to once I've got all the essentials packed. FT60R + AA battery pack (no place to recharge NiMh's) is going to be at least 1lb.

Arden/KE2KB