PDA

View Full Version : Hiking partner from Bear Mt. bridge NY. north

buckaroo007
08-10-2015, 20:26
Hello Fellow hikers,
This is a shout out. looking for another(s) hiker to join me on or about Sept. 1st. 2015. 2 to 3 weeks maybe longer. Aprox.10 mile days. Would like to be in town on Saturdays. It is football season! Flexible on start date. like hiking shelter to shelter. Buckaroo.

tdoczi
08-10-2015, 21:30
cant join you but just an fyi- youre hike begins with a section in which it is almost impossible to reach the next shelter in a day. well, unless you count greymoor. in fact, doing 10 miles a day you wont reach a shelter for several days from bear mountain.

buckaroo007
08-11-2015, 03:20
Thanks for the fyi. I think my guide book says It's about 22 miles. I wouldn't make it the first day definitely the second. I'll do more research.

Rain Man
08-11-2015, 10:51
I hiked from Bear Mtn to Kent, CT a couple of months ago. Will share the link to the photo album if you like.

Also, if you call Greymoor, they may let you stay indoors and feed you, as in the old days, for a charge. If that possibility interests you.

buckaroo007
08-12-2015, 12:22
Thanks my guide book does mention Greymoor. I'll check it out.

Rain Man
08-12-2015, 23:34
Thanks my guide book does mention Greymoor. I'll check it out.

Another great place to stay, not an official campsite, is the Mountain Top Deli on Hwy 52. Good food. Good re-supply. Great lawn out back they allow you to tent on. Plus an electrical outlet on the side of the building to recharge devices. Great folks.

They share the building with a pizza place, which has a bad reputation among hikers, I understand. So, don't confuse the two.

linus72
08-14-2015, 08:26
do you know if there's still parking for sectioners on cross rd by the appalachian market? or does the market let you park there? doing NY sections 7 and 8 next weekend. i know there's parking on 301 as we parked there last time for section 6. also, know of any shuttles should we wanna just do sec 7? no parking on canopus hill rd that i can see. thanks in advance!