PDA

View Full Version : Modifying a Ursack

mtnkngxt
08-11-2015, 08:06
PCT method, sleeping with your food, bear canister, I've tried them all, I have them all, and each has a place. These days though, I like to hike long days and put down miles. My least favorite part of the day is hanging a bear bag, and the UL fanatic in me hates carrying my BV450 unless I'm in an area where I am required to or encouraged to because of bears who have become acclimated to people.

Enter the Ursack and Opsak liner. The Ursack seems like a great product, something simple yet rugged in proper use. It does leave a lot to desire though, as many have mentioned the finishing on the rope holes is sloppy, and they'll tell you it doesn't affect usability so they don't worry about it. Fine, I still think it is sloppy from a manufacturing point of view.

The rope is heavy and trying to get the sack cinched tight is aggravating because of the diameter of rope. Enter my modifications. Amsteel Blue, the same wonderful Spectra line the hammock world and vehicle winch world love, is available in a 1/4 line with a Tensile Strength of 8600 pounds. It is also able to be spliced. So I am replacing the line on my Ursack with a 3' piece of 1/4 Amsteel with two spliced eyes on the end and then using a 1,000 lb rated Titanium Suspension biner from Dutchware to connect the eyes.

Not only does this reduce the weight of the Ursack, make the cinch tighter, but it also makes hanging the Ursack from a branch a quick and painless without the need to tie knots in the dark.

Disclaimer
I'm not making these for sale or offering a product, just a discussion of the idea.

Fredt4
08-11-2015, 22:53
Please post photo. I agree that feature needs improvement, always thought a zipper might be appropriate since the bag is mostly for litter critters.

mtnkngxt
08-12-2015, 06:59
Waiting on the spliced line to arrive, but will post photos as soon as it arrives.

12trysomething
08-12-2015, 08:27
I really like the idea and think that it tackles the problems you mentioned. The only issue being, it is no longer an approved bear system and IF you encounter a bear you may end up losing your bag as I am unaware of any testing on Amsteel for "bear proofness" - I have seen instances where 7/64 amsteel shreds when not used properly as a hammock suspension, I can only imagine what a hungry bear can do.

Once you test it out report back.

mtnkngxt
08-12-2015, 10:15
This is obviously a very real issue if one intended to use a modified system in an area where a qualified or certified bear system is required. I have a BV450 for regulated areas, and a MLD Cuben Bear bag for when I'm in low risk areas like Grayson Highlands.

I'm looking at getting a sleeve made for the line that would make it more chew resistant while still keeping the whole system under 10oz. Again this isn't something I'm looking to produce or market, just trying to make setting up in the dark a little easier for myself.

I really like the idea and think that it tackles the problems you mentioned. The only issue being, it is no longer an approved bear system and IF you encounter a bear you may end up losing your bag as I am unaware of any testing on Amsteel for "bear proofness" - I have seen instances where 7/64 amsteel shreds when not used properly as a hammock suspension, I can only imagine what a hungry bear can do.

Once you test it out report back.