PDA

View Full Version : Online GSMNP permits--what time does the date rollover?

Berry Belle
08-11-2015, 11:13
I'm trying to get a permit for GSMNP starting September 10. It's August 11 (30 days in advance). The site would allow me to register for the 9th, but not the 10th. I remember from making a reservation last year that I couldn't do it yet at 12:05 AM, but 11:10? I tried calling the backcountry office to ask if the site is working properly, but haven't gotten a call back. Does anyone know what time I should be able to make a reservation for the 30th day out? Is there anything I can do?

HooKooDooKu
08-11-2015, 12:00
The servers are located in Mountain Time Zone (Colorado I think, but don't quote me), so they roll over at midnight Mountain time.

But must admit that something seems amiss. The website says

Reservations/Permits may be obtained at any time up to 30 days in advance of the first night of your trip.
and today is 30 days before September 10.

Either wait until 12:01 MDT tonight, or keep calling the back country office and make a reservation thru them.

TNhiker
08-11-2015, 12:18
I havent used the new system yet---but would it be because the site requested on the 10th is full?

seems odd that op can get a reservation for the 9th but not 10th...

Berry Belle
08-11-2015, 12:29
Just got a call back from the backcountry office and they say I'm still a day early. According to their reckoning, I need to go online after midnight Mountain Time on the 12th. They said the server is in Denver and midnight there equals 2AM there. Guess I'll try to go to bed around dark and set a clock for 1:45 AM, get it done, and go back to bed before getting up to take a road trip to visit a friend who is passing through a couple of hours from my house. Yeesh. I feel like Nana Rosanadanna. It's always something.l

Berry Belle
08-11-2015, 12:33
Hmmmmm, I think I just gave myself a new trail name:banana

Farr Away
08-11-2015, 12:34
It may have something to do with 'date arithmetic', i.e. something may be off in how they are calculating the 30 day cut-off. It's surprisingly complicated to calculate a span of days that cross from one month to another - different numbers of days in the months; different numbers of days for February, etc.

-FA

Gambit McCrae
08-11-2015, 14:58
I had this problem this spring. I just waiting a day and came back to the site in which I had gotten lucky that there was still a spot open then

TNhiker
08-11-2015, 15:43
Hmmmmm, I think I just gave myself a new trail name:banana

Denver Server?

kinda a weird trail name but hey, it's yours......

HooKooDooKu
08-11-2015, 16:28
Just got a call back from the backcountry office and they say I'm still a day early. According to their reckoning...

If their reckoning might be right, then I think their use of the English language is wrong.

To me, if the policy was "1 day in advance of the 1st night", then today (8/11) you could make a reservation for tomorrow (8/12). Other wise, "1 day in advance" means "today".

So let's follow this thru and tell me what I'm missing (I think the answer is nothing):
If the policy is 1 day in advance, then on 8/11, I can make a reservation for 8/12.
If the policy is 2 days in advance, then on 8/11, I can make a reservation for 8/13.
If the policy is 3 days in advance, then on 8/11, I can make a reservation for 8/14.
If the policy is 4 days in advance, then on 8/11, I can make a reservation for 8/15.
If the policy is 5 days in advance, then on 8/11, I can make a reservation for 8/16.
If the policy is 6 days in advance, then on 8/11, I can make a reservation for 8/17.
If the policy is 7 days in advance, then on 8/11, I can make a reservation for 8/18.
If the policy is 8 days in advance, then on 8/11, I can make a reservation for 8/19.
If the policy is 9 days in advance, then on 8/11, I can make a reservation for 8/20.
If the policy is 10 days in advance, then on 8/11, I can make a reservation for 8/21.
If the policy is 11 days in advance, then on 8/11, I can make a reservation for 8/22.
If the policy is 12 days in advance, then on 8/11, I can make a reservation for 8/23.
If the policy is 13 days in advance, then on 8/11, I can make a reservation for 8/24.
If the policy is 14 days in advance, then on 8/11, I can make a reservation for 8/25.
If the policy is 15 days in advance, then on 8/11, I can make a reservation for 8/26.
If the policy is 16 days in advance, then on 8/11, I can make a reservation for 8/27.
If the policy is 17 days in advance, then on 8/11, I can make a reservation for 8/28.
If the policy is 18 days in advance, then on 8/11, I can make a reservation for 8/29.
If the policy is 19 days in advance, then on 8/11, I can make a reservation for 8/30.
If the policy is 20 days in advance, then on 8/11, I can make a reservation for 8/31.
If the policy is 21 days in advance, then on 8/11, I can make a reservation for 9/1.
If the policy is 22 days in advance, then on 8/11, I can make a reservation for 9/2.
If the policy is 23 days in advance, then on 8/11, I can make a reservation for 9/3.
If the policy is 24 days in advance, then on 8/11, I can make a reservation for 9/4.
If the policy is 25 days in advance, then on 8/11, I can make a reservation for 9/5.
If the policy is 26 days in advance, then on 8/11, I can make a reservation for 9/6.
If the policy is 27 days in advance, then on 8/11, I can make a reservation for 9/7.
If the policy is 28 days in advance, then on 8/11, I can make a reservation for 9/8.
If the policy is 29 days in advance, then on 8/11, I can make a reservation for 9/9.
If the policy is 30 days in advance, then on 8/11, I can make a reservation for 9/10.

But the way the appear to be implementing the reservation system is that you have a 30 day window in which you can make a reservation to start your trip. Because you can make a reservation TODAY for TONIGHT, then today is Day 1 of the "window". So by counting "window" days, the 30th day of the "window" for 8/11 would be 9/9.

Berry Belle
08-12-2015, 02:22
HooKooDooKu, you're not missing a thing. I reasoned the same way, if in somewhat less thorough detail.

But it's 2:20 AM on the 12th, and I just got my itinerary. NPS wins this round.

--Rosanna Rosannadanna

HooKooDooKu
08-12-2015, 09:56
I think I figured out that what is happening is that the website has implemented a "30 day window" rather than "30 days in advance". Because 'today' is always on of the days in the "30 day window", the net effect is that you can currently only make reservations up to 29 day IN ADVANCE.

I've used the "Contact Us" link on the GSMNP website and sent them an email explaining the disconnect between the stated policy (up to 30 days in advance) and the way the website is implements (30 day window). I've seen them make changes before, so we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

TNhiker
08-12-2015, 11:08
But it's 2:20 AM on the 12th, and I just got my itinerary. NPS wins this round.

well.....not really---you got the permit, right?

so it sounds like everything is good....

Berry Belle
08-13-2015, 18:51
Wow, you're way on top of this. Thanks.

HooKooDooKu
08-21-2015, 12:40
I think I figured out that what is happening is that the website has implemented a "30 day window" rather than "30 days in advance". Because 'today' is always on of the days in the "30 day window", the net effect is that you can currently only make reservations up to 29 day IN ADVANCE.

I've used the "Contact Us" link on the GSMNP website and sent them an email explaining the disconnect between the stated policy (up to 30 days in advance) and the way the website is implements (30 day window). I've seen them make changes before, so we'll just have to wait and see what happens.
I got a reply from the NPS today (and not just a form letter or computer generated reply).
Basically said thanks for the feedback, that they want the information they provide about the system to be clear, and they will look at possible changes to the language.

Given that the language is already printed on hundreds of maps, I figured it would have been easier to get the online system changed to be a 31 day window than to try to deal with changing the language that's already been put out there.