PDA

View Full Version : Feedback on Gregory Baltoro 75 What do you think?

kjbrown
08-11-2015, 14:18
Hey everyone I am looking at a new pack and I was thinking about the Gregory Baltoro 75 for my AT TH in 17. I have looked at the reviews online and have looked at the ATMOS also and they both fit my body. I was leaning to the Gregory because of the better lumbar curve but wanted some thought from some others that have put some miles on the ground with the Gregory.

James GAME2009
08-11-2015, 14:21
Far too big and much too heavy. Agreed that Gregory makes great packs, but look at the Z55 or Z65, with preference going to the Z55.

Sarcasm the elf
08-11-2015, 14:30
I have the older Baltoro 70, it's a great pack, but it is monster meant for heavy loads. I use it for winter trips when I am carrying 40-50lbs of gear, but it's not ideal for 3 season lightweight backpacking. By contrast, my 3 season pack, a ULA Circuit weighs around 4 pounds LESS than my Baltoro, that's a lot of weight to cut out.

Roche
08-11-2015, 14:41
... for my AT TH in 17.

Your thru hike is in 2017? You have time, plenty of sales between now and then. In the meanwhile, learn some of the tricks of the trade by backpacking as often as you can with what you have. Stash some cash. You will change your mind on gear several times between now and then.

And don't everything you read here (yes, it applies to this post as well) and simply figure it out for yourself.

kjbrown
08-11-2015, 14:58
Your thru hike is in 2017? You have time, plenty of sales between now and then. In the meanwhile, learn some of the tricks of the trade by backpacking as often as you can with what you have. Stash some cash. You will change your mind on gear several times between now and then.

And don't everything you read here (yes, it applies to this post as well) and simply figure it out for yourself.
Yep I know I have some time but I am currently using a old Coleman external frame pack I bought in the early 80 ' s and it is on it's last legs. I need to replace it to keep up with my hike prep. So I was looking down the road to spend the money once and get one that will last.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Roche
08-11-2015, 15:16
Makes sense. If I was in your shoes I'd pick up a used backpack (eBay, craigslist, etc...) to hold me over until crunch time. The prep time will fine tune your system (weight, bulk, size of pack needed) and then you could pull the trigger. Let me put it this way, I wish I had your problem (what to get for my thru). Have fun.

bigcranky
08-11-2015, 17:01
I had a Baltoro that I tested for backpackgeartest.com several years ago. It was smaller, maybe 55 or 60 liters - not sure they had different sizes at the time.

A couple of thoughts:

1. The pack is rather large and heavy for a long distance hiker. Not to say you won't see these on the trail -- oh, yeah, they are out there -- but most long distance hikers end up with something in the 50-60 liter range weighing about 2-2.5 pounds. Something like the ULA Circuit, or one of the lighter Osprey packs, both of which are very popular on the trail for good reason.

2. A 75 liter pack is very large volume -- so for most of us that means we'd fill it up, which makes the overall pack weight even heavier. I know I have that problem, and it's fairly common.

If your other gear is early 80s vintage, and if you can get the pack for a really good price, on sale somewhere, go for it. It's not a bad pack at all for the money, and if you have more traditional (bulkier, heavier) gear, then it might be a good choice for now.

Venchka
08-11-2015, 18:39
Right. The gear you will want for a hike in 2017 isn't on the market yet.
Practice. Practice. Practice. With your current gear. "If it ain't broke (working), don't fix it." Not yet anyway.
WhiteBlaze Backpack Buying Rule #1" Wait! Wait until you have everything else. When you know how big your gear pile is, you will know what size pack to buy. Then scour the for sale listings here for a nice, lightweight, low mileage backpack from one of the small cottage makers. Or shop the REI sales in March & late April. Or closeouts.
Best of all, go to a real store with real people who know how to fit you with a backpack. You'll save money in the long run by avoiding the expensive search for the pack that fits you.
Be patient. Practice.

Wayne

Heliotrope
08-11-2015, 20:33
I use a cheap crappy day pack for training. Must have paid $15 at a discount store like TJmaxx. I load it with food and about a gallon of water plus rain gear etc. I reserve my expensive backpack for overnight trips. I agree with other posters here, three season backpacking doesn't require super heavy large volume packs, especially if covering a lot of miles is the goal. All packs feel great in the store. Train and take time to research gear. Borrow, and /or Buy used until you find what you like. I can fit a weeks worth of food and gear into my 40 L pack.

LittleRock
08-13-2015, 08:07
I have the older Baltoro 70, it's a great pack, but it is monster meant for heavy loads. I use it for winter trips when I am carrying 40-50lbs of gear, but it's not ideal for 3 season lightweight backpacking. By contrast, my 3 season pack, a ULA Circuit weighs around 4 pounds LESS than my Baltoro, that's a lot of weight to cut out.

I have the Baltoro 70 also - love it! Very sturdy yet comfortable. Been using it for about 5 years now and it is still in great shape - haven't touched my previous external frame pack since. It might be more than you need if you are planning to resupply often, but I like having the option of going up to 10 days without resupplying - or using it for winter trips like Mr. Sarcasm.

kjbrown
08-13-2015, 10:36
I was looking at all the responces and thanks for the feedback. I have most of my other gear for the trip as I have been replaceing items as they wear out and the pack and sleepingbag are the last of my major purchaces. I was looking at the 75 because i plan on bringing my new carbonfiber telescope on the trip as i am a bit of a star nut and needed an excuse for the wife to spend the $$$$ on the new telescope. in the 75 I can fit the tube and tripod on both sides and have room for the rest of the gear. I am looking at a base weight of 36 pounds of gear and am worried that some of the ultra light would/could be torn by any movement in the pack.

Venchka
08-13-2015, 12:52
I was looking at all the responces and thanks for the feedback. I have most of my other gear for the trip as I have been replaceing items as they wear out and the pack and sleepingbag are the last of my major purchaces. I was looking at the 75 because i plan on bringing my new carbonfiber telescope on the trip as i am a bit of a star nut and needed an excuse for the wife to spend the $$$$ on the new telescope. in the 75 I can fit the tube and tripod on both sides and have room for the rest of the gear. I am looking at a base weight of 36 pounds of gear and am worried that some of the ultra light would/could be torn by any movement in the pack.

Right you are about easily exceeding the comfort zone of popular lightweight backpacks. For your needs, I would visit the Seek Outside web pages. The Unaweep and variations on that pack would carry your gear comfortably and probably weigh about half of the Baltoro. The packs are also made in the USA. There was one for sale here at WhiteBlaze a day or two ago.

http://seekoutside.com/lightweight-backpacks/

Wayne

2NewKnees
08-13-2015, 19:58
I really like mine. I tried a GoLite Jam 50 and it hurt my shoulders, never could get it to feel right. I changed my load distribution, moved to a hammock, etc. The Gregory was a great move for me. It has great support, lots of access points to the inside of the pack without having to go through the top. It cinches down on the sides, and top. And it carries real well on the trails. I've used it for summer and winter backpacking trips and it was great.

bigcranky
08-15-2015, 13:41
A 36 pound base weight? Then add 10 pounds or more of food and water? Yeah, you're in the right territory for the Baltoro. Have fun with the stargazing - we've had some great clear nights up in the mountains with no light pollution.

Rogue308
08-21-2015, 23:22
I had the Baltoro, then exchanged it for a Granite Gear Blaze AC. Best gear move and should have done it sooner. 60L is plenty of space for 3 seasons trips up to 5 days. Backpacking is much more enjoyable now that I've shed the excess weight.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

fiddlehead
08-22-2015, 00:01
The smaller the pack you buy, the less you will carry.
(and vice versa)

Whack-a-mole
08-22-2015, 21:21
The Gregory didn't fit my back at all. Tried a Golite and haven't looked back since. Love it.