PDA

View Full Version : Water and Parking current status NY Garrison (Rt 9/403) to Rt 301 Canopus Lake

linus72
08-12-2015, 11:59
Hello -

Getting back out there next weekend and want to do either NY section 7 or 7 and 8 if there is truly no parking at the end of section 7 which is canopus hill rd. I checked the AT parking site on Rohland and it seems there's parking at the southern end of section 8 on Cross Rd between rt 9 and rt 403 .1 miles north of the trail and the Appalachian Market. I bet I could also ask if we could park at the market if necessary. And I saw someone say a doctors office let them park in their lot there for a few days. Does anyone know if parking is still allowed on Cross road?

We plan to camp at Dennytown group sites, making day one 8.7 miles if we have to start at the Appalachian market - doable for sure though a bit longer than our usual and we do want to push ourselves a bit more, so ok with that. Then will hike out the 3.7 to 301 in the morning to a car there. But does anyone know if there is a shuttle in the area that save us bringing two cars?

Lastly, anyone have a report on the water on that section? I know there's a water source at the campsite worst case. And BTW, do we have to pay for that campsite?

gsingjane
08-12-2015, 15:04
If you are talking about Dennytown, no, you don't have to pay to use it. You are headed SOBO I take it? So when you get to Dennytown Rd., take a right on the road and you'll see a little brick house on your right. There is a spigot on the side of the house and the water is good.

Have fun! I don't know anything recent about the water on that stretch but as you know we just got a LOT of rain so hopefully it will be good!

Jane

linus72
08-12-2015, 15:23
Thanks Jane! We have been doin NY sobo so far but might do this one nobo - depends what time we leave saturday and need to be back sunday :) Will load up our camels for the longer hike just in case.

gsingjane
08-13-2015, 06:30
Have a great time Linus! At one point I got the feeling that campsite was used for partying, but the last time I was there, those signs had disappeared.

The weather is supposed to be awesome too so enjoy!

Jane

linus72
08-14-2015, 19:53
hot but awesome! can't wait, wish it was this weekend. and as long as we can roll into that campsite and set up in whatever corner is left for the night, without permission or a permit from the park, i'm happy. by that point we'll be so tired i don't think weekend partiers could keep me up!