PDA

View Full Version : AA's w/ spares or li-ion w/ portable charger style camera?

soulrebel
11-25-2005, 19:04
Would I be better served with a camera that uses 2-AA's and buying along the way or is it easy to find an available outlet for 2-4 hours to charge a li-ion battery at stops? I've read of people "stealth" charging, but, I'm wondering about the availability of public electrical outlets to thru-hikers in and around town...Thanks

Basically, I have the choice they both weigh about the same amount (within 1 oz)
Setup 1 - 5MP-3xzoom camera, 2 li-ions, travel charger--9.5oz
setup 2 - 7.2MP-3xzoom camera, 2 AA's, Spare 2-AA's--10.4oz

setup 1 obviously is cheaper b/c I don't have to "buy" but it does take 1-2hours to charge up the li-ion and an outlet of course...

also--did anyone use a wide-angle lens for their landscape shots? Was it worth the 2-4ozs?

Morning Glory
11-25-2005, 22:16
I now use lithium batteries. In the digital camera I use, two AA lithiums will take well over 200 pictures.

Peaks
11-26-2005, 09:11
With both options, you can bounce your charger. But, with AA's, you can usually buy additional batteries along the way.

Whistler
11-26-2005, 09:19
I also used lithium AAs, and get about 300-400 photos. Not the most enviro-friendly, but it's nice to pop in the new ones, toss the old ones, and move on without having anything to keep track of locally. Takes about 20 seconds.
-Mark

Jaybird
11-26-2005, 09:31
Would I be better served with a camera that uses 2-AA's and buying along the way or is it easy to find an available outlet for 2-4 hours to charge a li-ion battery at stops?

WHy not buy 4 LITHIUM "Double A's" (they last TWICE as long) or buy 2
RE-CHargeable "AA"s & purchase a SOLAR RECHARGER?

http://store.sundancesolar.com/flsobachfor2.html

CHEEP ENUFF!

GO GREEN!:D

soulrebel
11-26-2005, 09:54
Thanks all I did some more searching through the posts and found some pretty good info...

Still considering the wide angle lens tho...