PDA

View Full Version : Donut Hole Trail

Penn-J
08-12-2015, 18:34
I'm planning on thru hiking the Donut Hole Trail in Pennsylvania in a few weeks and was wondering if anyone has hiked it before and if they enjoyed it.

I live in Pennsylvania and have done some of the trails here, Loyalsock, Black Forrest (3 times) Chuck Keiper, Old loggers Path, Pinchot, Susquehannock, West Rim.

Ive been wanting to hike the Donut Hole Trail for a while. The trail description says there are lots of unbridged wet crossings and a big ford near Kettle Creek State Park.

Also that it is one of the toughest and most remote in the state with lots of steep climbs and descents

I'm gonna start in Jerico and finish in Farrandsville.

Thinking of dropping a food box at Hyner Run State Park to lighten my load....hmmm, not sure yet cause its only 20 miles from there to the trail head.

I have a friend helping me with the whole shuttle thing and am looking forward to some solitude, hemlocks and challenging terrain.

If anyone has hiked it before I would love to hear about it!

Malto
08-12-2015, 19:02
Hadn't even heard of it until your post. Please come back and do and trip report. This could be a nice future hike. Also, without ever seeing the trail, I can't imagine any stream crossing being a big deal in PA this time of year. Was up at Pine Creek three weeks ago at the PA Grand Canyon and even that at one of the largest streams was a very easy crossing.

handlebar
08-12-2015, 23:15
I hiked it few years ago during a warm, dry spell in Early November over a period of 5-1/2 days. I didn't see much point in caching food. There was a "high water" alternate that avoids the big ford, but there was one day when I had several shallow fords in the afternoon just before the DHT joins with the Susquehanock Trail System 85-mile loop. More info is online at Keystone Trail Assoc web site: kta-hike.org. You can pickup a map at the forest headquarters along the road from Lockhaven (across the W branch of the Susquehanna from Farrandsville) and Jericho, or you can call them and ask to have one mailed. There's also info in Jeff Mitchell's book Backpacking in PA. Enjoy!

Spirit Walker
08-14-2015, 12:53
We've hiked the Donut Hole several times. It's one of my favorite hikes in PA. Definitely remote and challenging, with some good climbs. This time of year, nettles in the stream beds are likely to be a bit of a problem, so bring long pants. The stream crossing near the dam isn't likely to be an issue this year. We've hiked in very wet years and very dry years and never had a problem with any of the crossings. Have fun.

jmitchell
08-15-2015, 00:31
DHT is an isolated and challenging trail. Expect a faint treadway, lots of ferns. Brushy, overgrown conditions. Lots of streams, drainages, and glens. Some views. You probably won't see another backpacker.

Pics and trip report from a recent trip a group from DC went on:

http://www.meetup.com/DC-UL-Backpacking/photos/all_photos/?photoAlbumId=26150071

http://www.meetup.com/DC-UL-Backpacking/messages/boards/thread/48984421/#[masked

FYI- the DHT is going to be re-routed in the future on Nature Conservancy land near Hyner View. Should be a nice addition to the trail.

StealthHikerBoy
08-15-2015, 07:07
I just hiked a bit of that and some of the Susquehannock a few weeks ago. I love that area. One thing though -- the trails are pretty overgrown right now, and the nettles are BAD in spots. My last minute decision to bring long pants pretty much saved the hike for me, so I'd recommend you do the same. Have fun!

Penn-J
08-15-2015, 20:48
Thanks for the info! I'll be sure to bring long pants for the nettles.
I think you can steam the leaves of the nettles and eat them...hmmm
But I heard to not eat the leaves if the nettles have flowered or gone to seed.

Penn-J
09-12-2015, 10:10
Malto suggested I do a trip report so here goes...

9/5
Drove up from Philly suburbs with a buddy (took 2 cars), dropped mine of at the parking area, in Farrandsville and his off near Jerico and hit the trail. My friend Jason was gonna spend the first night and then head back to his car the next day. He was very excited because it would be his first time backpacking and not just "car camping".

We hiked about 3 miles and set up camp in a hemlock cove. He was really impressed that you couldn't hear any other noises except the forest and when it got dark you couldn't see any lights from cars, or houses etc...
At night we heard antlers clashing (elk maybe?)

9/6
Jason headed back to his car and was a bit nervous but I told him to just watch for the blazes carefully and he would be fine.

I did around 18 miles. I came across a hunting camp and talked to a couple of guys who were there for labor day holiday and got the vibe that they really didn't care for "backpackers". I didn't really feel welcome and didn't stay long.

I got to the dam and made the crossing with no problem.

I loved all the ferns and moss and it felt good to get the "trail legs" working.

9/7
I was greeted that morning with a tough climb (one of many) and really enjoyed the Tamarack fire tower. I climbed up, made some coffee and enjoyed watching the fog in the valleys dissapate slowly.

I got to rte. 44 and a there was a perfect piped spring with cold clear water! I gusseld it, poured it over my head, and waved back to passing cars that waved at me. It was hot and I was coverd with sweat so the drenching was most welcome!

A bit later, I saw some branches moving from very high up in the trees. Then branches falling. A black bear was up there jumping around! I watched him for a minute and then when it noticed me, it flew down the tree, butt first, using its claws to slow his decent, hit the ground with a "thud" and scrambled away.

When I made it to camp, I thought the campspot looked familar, then I relized that I camped in the same spot a few years earlier when I was hiking the Susquehannock Trail.

It was a nice spot. I got a fire going, got undressed, and got in the creek and sat down in the refreshing cold water. I used my water bottle to pour water over my head as I enjoyed the smell of the fire and the sound of the running creek.

I remember thinking..."I love being a backpacker. I really love being a backpacker."

9/8
I did about 16 miles. I'm so glad I brought the long zip off pants that people recomended here on Whiteblaze. the stinging nettle were pretty bad.

I did have some trouble following the blazes and got turned around some. Some sections can really use some maintinence.

By the end of the day I was pretty beat and was very happy to come across a hunting cabin with a nice front porch with a porch swing! I knew I probaly wasn't allowed to sleep there but I couldn't resist it! It had a beautiful spring with perfect clear cold water. I dumped out my warm creek water I was carrying and gusseld the crystal clear yummy cold goodness...lol

It kinda felt like I was at an A.T. shelter! It was nice to not have to set up my tarp.

I bet the hunters I met the other day wouldn't take to kindly of a backpacker sleeping on this porch. Ah well, what they don't know wont hurt them...he he

I can understand why this trail isn't more popular. It's a tough one. But I really enjoyed knowing that I was probably the only other backpacker on this trail (and it was Labor Day weekend)

9/9
I enjoyed walking on the snowmobile trails. It was a nice reprive from all the steep, rocky terrian.

I just about made it to rattlesnake run when I was getting a bit upset from the lack of blazing, when I noticed dark ominus clouds rolling in, the sky suddenly started cracking with "close" thunder and started dumping rain! I quickly set up my tarp, got under and just laid there exhausted and wet with my head resting on my pack listing to the thunder and drenching rain.

When the rain let up a bit, I got organized, made dinner, re adjusted my tarp set up and got some shut eye.

9/10
It was a cool drizziliy day. It was the only day I wasnt coverd with sweat all day. I welcomed the change.

I spooked another bear. The sound of the rain must have muffeld my sound a bit. It took off crashing through the woods. The heart rate did quicken a bit....lol

I believe I did about 20 miles that day to get back to my car. The last 5 miles or so were slightly downhill and I was really happy for that.

It's always a treat to get that first glimce of your car after a rough trip. After a quick inspection (no broken windows, cd's still here etc...) I opened the hatch of my Honda Fit sat down and enjoyed the smell of my "new car smell" air freshner...lol

I cleaned up a bit with the "Wet Ones" and put on my regular clothes that still smelled like "Old Spice" deoderant and enjoyed feeling cotton aganist my skin.

I was just about to leave when a group of teenagers came from the woods. Half were wearing bennies and one girl had really impressive dreadlocks. One of the girls said "hello".

I noticed my reflection in my car window and compared to these kids, I felt like an old man (I'm 38)

I stopped at a local Diner for some post trail grubbin'

The Donut Hole Trail was rough! Lots of tough climbs, faint treadway, old fadeing blazes, constant spider webs in the face...lol, but I really enjoyed the "wildness" feeling.

Perhaps I'll hike it again some year...

Malto
09-12-2015, 13:36
Thanks for a writeup. I will have to give it a go some weekend.

Spirit Walker
09-14-2015, 11:58
What I loved about the DHT was the open valleys where you followed a creek through flowery meadows. This time of year is especially nice.

supertaco
09-27-2017, 09:35
Very nice! Tentatively planning on this or the STS in the spring/early summer 2018. Just getting back into backpacking after focusing on rock climbing for many years (decades). The gear has certainly changed!