PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of switching from boots, what shoes to get?

stjarvis
08-13-2015, 16:37
Currently I've been using Asolo TPS 520 GV boots for the last two years. I love them except after hiking for about 30 miles (over a couple days) I start to get really bad metatarsal pain (balls of my feet, and ridge behind my toe joints). I've been through a bunch of different insoles trying to fix the issue, but none have, most have made it worse.

My max pack weight is just under 35lbs (with a week of food), and I've got low arches. My current guess as to what's causing my foot issues is that either the boots are too stiff, or the toe box is too narrow. I've never gotten any toe blisters from them, but who knows. So I've been thinking of switching to some trail runners. I've been looking at either the inov8 trailroc 255's or the La Sportiva Ultra Raptors. I need something durable enough to not get destroyed by the PA rocks, supportive enough for me to haul around a 35lb pack, and something that will hopefully solve my foot issue. If anyone has any suggestions, or has owned both other the shoes I'm looking at and can compare them, that would be great. (I do have an appointment with a podiatrist on the 20th to see what he thinks too)

Namtrag
08-13-2015, 16:45
Altra shoes have a very wide toe box as well. I have no experience wearing them but Just Bill does.

I just switched to Adidas Terrex Fast, and they are working well. They are what I would call a hybrid of a hiking shoe and a trail runner. I have slightly wide feet, and they fit me fine.

BirdBrain
08-13-2015, 17:01
In general, durable shoes take longer to break in and are tougher on the feet. As an example, Red Wing makes great work shoes that last forever, but take forever to break in. The running joke is that the boots break the feet in first. I find my trail runners are the most comfortable just before they fall apart. Therefore, I buy trail runners for comfort first and replace them as they fall apart. I only get about 300 miles out of my New Balance 610's. However, they are comfortable straight out of the box. They also don't last long in part because I am always hiking rocky, steep, and often wet hills in New England.

Tractor
08-13-2015, 17:26
I'm keen on Keen Voyager but they fit me well. Try them if you get a chance.

Traveler
08-14-2015, 07:23
Currently I've been using Asolo TPS 520 GV boots for the last two years. I love them except after hiking for about 30 miles (over a couple days) I start to get really bad metatarsal pain (balls of my feet, and ridge behind my toe joints). I've been through a bunch of different insoles trying to fix the issue, but none have, most have made it worse.

My max pack weight is just under 35lbs (with a week of food), and I've got low arches. My current guess as to what's causing my foot issues is that either the boots are too stiff, or the toe box is too narrow. I've never gotten any toe blisters from them, but who knows. So I've been thinking of switching to some trail runners. I've been looking at either the inov8 trailroc 255's or the La Sportiva Ultra Raptors. I need something durable enough to not get destroyed by the PA rocks, supportive enough for me to haul around a 35lb pack, and something that will hopefully solve my foot issue. If anyone has any suggestions, or has owned both other the shoes I'm looking at and can compare them, that would be great. (I do have an appointment with a podiatrist on the 20th to see what he thinks too)

I too have great love for my Asolo TPS 520's, to the point I am on my third pair. I too started having some foot problems similar to what you mention. I saw a podiatrist who Rx'd orthotic inserts for me due to hammer toe that started to impact how my feet felt especially in difficult use environments like hiking represents. The hammer toe was a complete mystery to me, I thought it was a little strain from over use or the It was a great fix, though the orthotics are a little stiff as compared to the soft shoe liners you can get.

I had been working through knee soreness over the years, especially after longer hikes. I tried compressive aids and anti-inflammation drugs but nothing seemed to help that condition. In combating the knee stress issue, I found there was a connection between my trusty Asolo boots and knee pain. The boots are about 2 lbs each, which is a considerable amount of weight to swing every other step, so I invested in a pair of Merrill Moab trail shoes/runners (at about 12 ounces each) and noticed almost immediately the knees liked them better. It seems the elevated heel of the heavy boots was part of the problem, transferring the impact of downhill especially from the ankles to the knees. Hiking with weight doesn't seem to bother my feet much (again, with the orthopedics the mechanical issues of my feet are tended to) but I do find myself more selective in where/how I step with the lighter shoes.

Once winter requires snowshoes or crampons, I go back to the Asolo 520's for the features you want boots to have in winter under difficult conditions. I will sometimes wear Katoolah Microspikes with the runners, but won't wear the Hillsound spikes (a bit longer and sharper than the micro spikes and tend to more difficult for me to work in runners).

I hope your podiatrist is able to pin-point your foot problems, orthotics can be expensive but for many of us, provide exactly what we need to stay active in this.

Malto
08-14-2015, 08:42
Shoes are a very personal thing and what works for one will not work for others. As far as being able to handle PA rocks, I live in the center of the PA rocks and wear LaSportiva Wildcats and Brooks Cascadias and they have held up well in this environment. Both of those have wide toe boxes and I view them to be interchangeable (for me). Good luck in your search, it took me years to get shoes completely dialed in.

Heliotrope
08-18-2015, 22:44
Shoes can make you nuts trying to find the right ones. I've tried the raptors and the inov 8 255. Both failed my test. But I do love the Brooks Cascadia. They are the best trail runner I have used and they really cushion my feet from the sharp rocks. But again a very personal thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fredt4
08-19-2015, 01:17
"I do have an appointment with a podiatrist on the 20th to see what he thinks too)"

I would be very careful with any opinion a podiatrist (or anyone else gives) as I know of people losing toes because they trusted a podiatrist opinion. Not saying their opinions aren't worthy of consideration, just saying.

My experience is try various trail runners until you find one that works for you. I tried at least 10 pairs before I found one that just fit right. Several salespeople tried to explain how the shoe would adjust, very glad I didn't listen to them.

Traveler
08-19-2015, 07:17
"I do have an appointment with a podiatrist on the 20th to see what he thinks too)"

I would be very careful with any opinion a podiatrist (or anyone else gives) as I know of people losing toes because they trusted a podiatrist opinion. Not saying their opinions aren't worthy of consideration, just saying.

My experience is try various trail runners until you find one that works for you. I tried at least 10 pairs before I found one that just fit right. Several salespeople tried to explain how the shoe would adjust, very glad I didn't listen to them.

I don't know of many people losing toes (do they fall off at the grocery?) over a medical opinion unless it has something to do with another larger issue like blood clots or diabetes. Though I'm sure its happened in the annals of the AMA, I would use selective care in who treats me as I would any other MD. Prior to any surgery one should always seek the second opinion of course (depending on the seriousness of the surgery), but discounting medical opinions off hand may not be the way to go if someone wants to avoid adding to an injury or nip a long term problem in the bud. At minimum the MD can tell the OP if they have an overuse injury or start of a longer term issue like hammer toe, etc going on and how to best treat it conservatively.

I can say that with some authority as I tried the self fix with new shoes/boots to relieve the discomfort in the ball of my foot, only to find months later it was a hammer toe developing and because I didn't address it early, caused mechanical problems in my right foot that didn't have to happen. Doing that is akin to having a shin splint and trying to walk it off.

Gambit McCrae
08-19-2015, 08:05
Solamon Speedcross 3D's im on my 2nd pair and love them----they need inserts like any other shoe/ boot

Uncle Joe
09-09-2015, 21:09
FWIW, I've been using La Sportiva Wildcats this summer and love them.

Casey & Gina
09-10-2015, 10:47
After hiking on the AT for a week in Vibram Trek Ascent LR's (not at all a bad experience, but takes getting used to), we decided we should try hiking boots. So we bought some Keen Voyageurs and went hiking again. After the first day, I put my Vibrams back on and carried the boots, a welcome relief. My wife stuck it out and tried them longer, but we both happily rushed to the store to return them as soon as we got back. Maybe I should just suck it up and go barefoot. :P