PDA

View Full Version : Where to Start on the IAT?

appompa255
08-14-2015, 11:09
A friend and I want to start picking away at the IAT and usually only can get away for a day or two at a time (at least right now). The closest access point for us would be southern Wisconsin, but I'm not sure where to start/end and how we would even get back to our car unless we have someone drop us off. I've hiked a few days on the AT and have done some relatively steep climbs in the past, I'm assuming southern Wisconsin isn't "that" hilly, relatively speaking. I'm guessing we'd be good for about 10+ miles a day. Any suggestions?

kf1wv
08-14-2015, 11:17
If you're active on Facebook, the best resource for asking any and all questions is the "Thousand Miler WannaBes" group. It's a closed group, so you'd have to join, but it's well worth it. You will sure to find plenty of help and new friends there! Also, tap the Ice Age Trail Alliance website for maps, guidebook, and other useful hiker resources. There are lots of folks out there picking away at the IAT!!!! Welcome to the fray!

gsingjane
08-14-2015, 12:34
Comparing the IAT to the AT, I'd say you will wind up covering a significantly higher percentage of miles per day on the IAT. I have done both and we had to reserve shelter space on the IAT... wound up hitting our destination by noon! And we're not fast hikers!

Jane

p.s. As you work away at the IAT, I'd strongly advise avoiding the deep summer months. I have NEVER and I mean NEVER EVER seen mosquitoes so awful as on the IAT in July.

kf1wv
08-14-2015, 14:35
Last year the little suckers were insane into late September.

appompa255
08-14-2015, 17:31
So it sounds like we should stay away from the trail until it cools off a little.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

gsingjane
08-14-2015, 17:51
I think the suggestion to connect with the folks who are out there all the time is a good one. Be sure, though, not to miss this: http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/parks/name/kmn/naturecenter.html

It is an incredible introduction to the IAT and what you'll find there. We hiked in to it and it was AMAZING.

Jane

vdubb
08-15-2015, 03:35
Hi there,

I did a three day, 30 miles trip in Southern Kettle Moraine on the IAT in mid June this summer. We took two cars, parked one at rice lake parking area then drove up to the Scuppernong trail head and hiked south. This worked out fine. The miles are estimated/guessed for each day give or take, so keep that in mind.

Day 1: scuppernong to shelter #2 about 9 mi
Day 2: shelter #2 to shelter #3 about 12 mi
Day 3: shelter #3 to car about 8 mi

You can find guide book pdf files for this segment and the Northern Unit if you just google search IAT and kettle moraine.

I also did a section in Northern Kettle Moraine the first week of August, highway h parking area to Mauthe Lake campground 9 miles, camped then walk back the next day. The mosquitos weren't bad but the flies were relentless! Hope this helps! :)

appompa255
08-15-2015, 03:37
Hi there,

I did a three day, 30 miles trip in Southern Kettle Moraine on the IAT in mid June this summer. We took two cars, parked one at rice lake parking area then drove up to the Scuppernong trail head and hiked south. This worked out fine. The miles are estimated/guessed for each day give or take, so keep that in mind.

Day 1: scuppernong to shelter #2 about 9 mi
Day 2: shelter #2 to shelter #3 about 12 mi
Day 3: shelter #3 to car about 8 mi

You can find guide book pdf files for this segment and the Northern Unit if you just google search IAT and kettle moraine.

I also did a section in Northern Kettle Moraine the first week of August, highway h parking area to Mauthe Lake campground 9 miles, camped then walk back the next day. The mosquitos weren't bad but the flies were relentless! Hope this helps! :)
That's some great info, thank you. If you don't mind adding me and keeping me posted on future hikes my friend and I might be able to tag along.

Tony

appompa255
08-15-2015, 04:10
If you're active on Facebook, the best resource for asking any and all questions is the "Thousand Miler WannaBes" group. It's a closed group, so you'd have to join, but it's well worth it. You will sure to find plenty of help and new friends there! Also, tap the Ice Age Trail Alliance website for maps, guidebook, and other useful hiker resources. There are lots of folks out there picking away at the IAT!!!! Welcome to the fray!
Joined the group, lots of good info there. Thanks.

double d
08-21-2017, 09:01
Last year the little suckers were insane into late September.
How about mid-October? They are intense in the summer months-but I've good luck avoiding them in the fall.