PDA

View Full Version : Hiking AT in MD

SkeeterPee
08-15-2015, 14:19
I am just starting out with backpacking at 56. I have purchased a pack and nothing else. I'll get more gear as go, but I want to do day hikes of the AT in the next couple months where I could car camp at a nearby park. Next spring I hopefully will try some overnights. I picked up a brochure in MD about the MD section and its closeness to many other points of interest. My wife can probably hike 8 mi comfortably. There are several choices for state parks along the MD section. Any recommendations? What are some good out and back starting points, or perhaps point to point if our kids come we could leave a ca at the start and finish points.

Recommendations on the park to stay at?

Recommendations for day hikes.

Any place in the MD to NJ section would be convenient if can recommend other areas for similar camping / day hikes.

Thank you.

Cookerhiker
08-15-2015, 15:25
I am just starting out with backpacking at 56. I have purchased a pack and nothing else. I'll get more gear as go, but I want to do day hikes of the AT in the next couple months where I could car camp at a nearby park. Next spring I hopefully will try some overnights. I picked up a brochure in MD about the MD section and its closeness to many other points of interest. My wife can probably hike 8 mi comfortably. There are several choices for state parks along the MD section. Any recommendations? What are some good out and back starting points, or perhaps point to point if our kids come we could leave a ca at the start and finish points.

Recommendations on the park to stay at?

Recommendations for day hikes.

Any place in the MD to NJ section would be convenient if can recommend other areas for similar camping / day hikes.

Thank you.

In MD, Greenbriar State Park is close to the trail and near the mid-point of Maryland. I camped there just last spring for a day-hike on the AT. In southern PA, both Caledonia and Pine Grove Furnace State Parks offer camping and are right on the AT.

For out-and-back hikes in MD, Washington Monument State Park (no camping) to Annapolis Rocks is 10 miles round trip. Gathland State Park (again, no camping) to Ed Garvey Shelter is 7 1/2 miles round trip. It would be nice to continue the hike to Weverton Cliffs for the view but that increases your round trip to 12 miles, most of which are easy.

Don H
08-15-2015, 16:41
Maple Tree Campground is a private campground 1/8 mile from Gathland State Park. I've camped and hiked from there on several occasions.
http://thetreehousecamp.com

SkeeterPee
08-17-2015, 07:54
Thank you for the hike options. They sound like what I am looking for.

hayden25b
08-17-2015, 19:27
Dalhgren campground is really nice, has latrines and showers, and a nice restaurant near by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

q-tip
08-18-2015, 10:07
As you are kind of new, I have a number of detailed XL spreadsheets with gear (lt wt, u/l, 3-season, JMT) with weights and costs , nutrition, and training. . If interested send me a pm with. Your email and I will forward. . I walked from GA-WV at 54.

SkeeterPee
09-08-2015, 21:15
Maple Tree Campground is a private campground 1/8 mile from Gathland State Park. I've camped and hiked from there on several occasions.
http://thetreehousecamp.com

We spent the weekend there and had a good time. It was a nice camp. Did 3 day hikes. Only downside was that we found out our 31 year old tent leaked like a sieve during a downpour the first night. I hadn't used it in a few years and perhaps not in a rain storm. I knew I would need a new tent for backpacking but did not realize how bad this one was.

Fortunately my daughter brought a second tent when she arrived so we stayed dry during a second large rain overnight.